• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Now I'm hyped for the Palace Cinema and here's why!

You treat the room at the top of the Palace Cinema as a private screening room for Directors and/or big wigs and their guests, and you build next door either as part of the same street or as the beginning of a new street: A 32x32 or 48x48 Theatre for the Masses!

Now you made me wish it wasn't a corner building, as I could have extended back and not worried about the facings.

Your idea sounds great but would mean keeping the character of the building...which means buying two cinemas

..I do have an old 2nd gen iPod touch lying around though. Hmm.

rataven

Some guy on Flickr has tons of pics of the Cinema Modular set:

10232-1 by motayan, on Flickr

10232-3 by motayan, on Flickr

Oh my goodness, love it.

I do agree that the interior feels a bit squished though. But as others have said, I think there's a fix. Just expand the sides out by an extra half baseplate on each end of the building and then add a square plate to the back. Footprint would be much larger, and it would probably require the purchase of a second cinema for the pieces, but I think it would feel much more grand. Similar to how some folks added extra floors to Cafe Corner for more height.

beje

Banned
Is there by any chance a Lego app/whatever where I can build something in the PC to check how many pieces and which types should I get?

The top 1% of the Lego population? What about the 99% being held hostage by their corporate brick masters? Are they not worthy to place stud in the Lego Cinema? You sir - you disgust me.

Eh it's the 1930s, the great Depression. Who among the dirty peasants can afford to go to a place like this anyways? Besides, they'd only get the rug dirty! Only the select few, educated high society dwellers shall be admitted into my exclusive cinema... bwahahah >:mad:)

Wk3Dw.jpg

Just saw this on tumblr

Are the spare parts of a set always random or are they predetermined?

Also: I wonder for collectors, are those spare parts "part" of the integrity of a set or does nobody care about them? If so i will just throw them into my general parts drawer and call it a day!

rataven

Semi OT: Where do you guys all store/display your modulars?

Here are mine at the moment:

8nLAFl.jpg

Completely out of room on this shelf, and I just don't have the space anywhere else, so this year I'd like to build a long shelf in my home office to hold all the mods. Since I'll have three corners, I'll probably start a new street with the cinema on a second shelf, so it'll be a little lonely for a while.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Also: I wonder for collectors, are those spare parts "part" of the integrity of a set or does nobody care about them? If so i will just throw them into my general parts drawer and call it a day!

I think they are fairly fixed. Usually the smallest parts which have more chance of error as they are sorted by weight

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
All my modulars are built but boxed atm, I dont have anywhere to display them currently! Dont they get dusty or weather-faded?

I dont think the Palace Cinema looks that good, not must have anyway- think i'll play catch up with them first eitherway.

ghostmind

8nLAFl.jpg

Completely out of room on this shelf, and I just don't have the space anywhere else, so this year I'd like to build a long shelf in my home office to hold all the mods. Since I'll have three corners, I'll probably start a new street with the cinema on a second shelf, so it'll be a little lonely for a while.

Nice collection! I'm missing Cafe Corner and Market Street, and I don't see that changing with the prices being asked for them now.

Ironmask

8nLAFl.jpg

Must... Not... Seeeee

Must... Focus... On... Creator Sets....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cafe corner isn't too bad to bricklink, but the interior is disappointing.

I'm missing the green grocer which I'd really like and isn't too expensive (probably similar to bricklinking the pieces), and the town hall which I'm not sure I want (might work standalone but is too similar to fire brigade for me)

8fqdp.jpg

Is there by any chance a Lego app/whatever where I can build something in the PC to check how many pieces and which types should I get?

Have you tried Lego Digital Designer?

The Joy of only haveing one (and staying at one), it sits nicely on a shelf.

Spares are uniform going by sets I have bought multiples of. I don't think collectors can count the extras and I have never received them when buying used sets.

rataven

Nice collection! I'm missing Cafe Corner and Market Street, and I don't see that changing with the prices being asked for them now.

Thanks! To be honest, you aren't missing too much, since neither CC or MS have interiors, and CC is a lackluster build. But it is nice to have the complete modular collection, I admit. Market Street provides a fun pop of color too. That set always seems to be so shunned, but I really love it.

ghostmind

Thanks! To be honest, you aren't missing too much, since neither CC or MS have interiors, and CC is a lackluster build. But it is nice to have the complete modular collection, I admit. Market Street provides a fun pop of color too. That set always seems to be so shunned, but I really love it.

I've come around on Market Street myself - I really like the idea of a building+courtyard, as it gives the whole street some breathing space, so I'm hoping a future set will incorporate this and have a building+park combo.

Norfair

Lego had the Lego Digital Designer, which I haven't tried.

Also, tested posted an article a while back about different lego CAD packages that you could use.

R-User!

I've come around on Market Street myself - I really like the idea of a building+courtyard, as it gives the whole street some breathing space, so I'm hoping a future set will incorporate this and have a building+park combo.

Couldnt you just insert one next to Town Hall? Usually there is parks near city/government offices right

wetwired

Town Hall and the Pet Shop are on a bench next to the tv in our second lounge room. Cafe Corner, Green Grocer Fire Brigade and the Grand Emporium are current disassembled.

I used to have a ritual where if I got a new modular I'd rebuild all the old ones so I could see them all together lined up. That was beginning to take a very long time to do with so many out now. Not to mention the sorting it takes after you pull them all apart.

The reason I don't like Market St, the rest of the modulars attempt to replicate a certain style of real buildings, in form as well as colour. Market St just looks like an attempt to make a building that has details for the sake of it with no coherent vision.

beje

Banned
Ugh, thank god I don't have any space for display because I've been playing with LDD and now I have a rough idea for a 16x16 modular tower and each floor "base" could be around 12€ to bricklink

R-User!

Ugh, thank god I don't have any space for display because I've been playing with LDD and now I have a rough idea for a 16x16 modular tower and each floor "base" could be around 12€ to bricklink

What type of tower pray tell?

Orthanc!?!
Or could it be. . . The Tower of Barad-Dûr!!!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Only just realised the modulars seem to be one a year. So assuming town hall will be around for at least another year or two, I might try bricklinking green grocer along with the cinema this year, and then town hall and the next modular in 2014. (Or compromise and skip green grocer and buy a second pet shop and turn it into a grocer)

Would this be the complete set of modulars as of now?

7913017036_1b617982ac_b.jpg

Yes, but there are two green grocers. And then the argument about whether market street is a 'real' modular or not.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Huh, I guess this is a new Calendar - Friends-themed.

I already have the current Calendar on my desk at work, maybe I'll get this for at home?

850581-1.jpg

Ponn

Banned
So i'm playing catch up here, and so excited at this news/rumor i want to believe. I didn't see the picture but supposedly the same guy that just leaked those Palace Cinema pics had up on his same Flickr stream a HUGE, possibly UCS, LoTR Orthanc set that people who saw it are comparing it to Tower Bridge. They were taken down before the Palace Cinema pics went up, Lego Ninjas got him? The pic supposdley had a confidential watermark.

I can't deal with this possiblity, unfathomable, INCONCEIVABLE!! Being a little disappointed in the 4 2013 reveals we had this would more than make up for it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I still can't tell if the Cinema has a ton of stickers or if those are printed...

8344395860_de0f3d3355_b.jpg

Forever Sorting is the worst movie of all time and all the good LEGO men ignore it.

So i just received my first Lego Shop order, however i signed up for VIP before i ordered and YET my account shows 0 points even though i spent over 100 euro on the order!

Does this take a while to update or could there be an issue here?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I still can't tell if the Cinema has a ton of stickers or if those are printed...

8344395860_de0f3d3355_b.jpg

Forever Sorting is the worst movie of all time and all the good LEGO men ignore it.

'Forever' should have been in Helvetia with the lego man leaning nonchalantly against it, and 'sorting' below kind of tilted like he bumped into it.

beje

Banned
Do a moc. Do it. It is so rewarding, and you learn much.

What type of tower pray tell?

Orthanc!?!
Or could it be. . . The Tower of Barad-Dûr!!!

Something easy, it would be something like this:

FgyWa.png

Fun part would be decorating each floor. And even though stairs look fragile, they stay together through inverted slopes that start in the wall.

Edit: I wonder how many of those I'd be able to stack before it starts getting unstable.

neonglow

So i just received my first Lego Shop order, however i signed up for VIP before i ordered and YET my account shows 0 points even though i spent over 100 euro on the order!

Does this take a while to update or could there be an issue here?

It takes several days for the points to show up. Give customer service a call. They are friendly.

Has this been posted?

LOTR sets for 2013:

79005 – The Wizard Battle: Gandalf the Grey and Saruman Minifigs

79006 – The Council of Elrond: Elrond, Frodo, Arwen and Gimli

79007 – Battle at the Black Gate: Gandalf the White, Aragorn, The Witch King of Angmar & 2 x Mordor Orc
(someone on reddit says it's the Mouth of Sauron instead of the Witch King)

79008 – Pirate Ship Ambush: Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, King of Dead, 2 x Soldiers of Dead, 2 x Mordor Orc and 2 x Corsair Pirate

flsGT.jpg

http://www.kollectobil.com/2012/12/lego-the-lord-of-the-rings-summer-2013-set-images-leaked/

ghostmind

It was posted a few pages back, but I love seeing those pics anyway.

And I'm leaning heavily into the "Mouth of Sauron" being in that Black Gate set.

Top Bottom