• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

wetwired

32x32 base minus 8 on each side for the sidewalk minus 6-8 for the staircase and some for the walls, and the angled corner, doesn't leave much interior space upstairs :(

They could have at least raised the rear rows, the floor looks tall enough. Screen is disappointing too. Why is the projected image cropped like that?

I was kinda hoping for some stadium style seating and floor with a relatively small bottom floor.

Chuckie

Shouldn't be difficult to MOC adding two or three more bricks of height so you can put the projector above the the seats

It also seems it would be possible to add another seat width-wise...so four in a row.
You could have at least 8 chairs, possibly 12 if it is possible to ad a row in the back

bkw

I'm not into Lego, but reading this thread and seeing everyone's enthusiasm almost makes me want to start. =) Might pick up a minifig or two just for kicks. Eyeing that chicken suit one.

Curious, why are there bump codes on those minifig series packs in the first place? Something Lego put in to tease fans? Or is it the result of some manufacturing / packaging process?

wetwired

I'm not into Lego, but reading this thread and seeing everyone's enthusiasm almost makes me want to start. =) Might pick up a minifig or two just for kicks. Eyeing that chicken suit one.

Curious, why are there bump codes on those minifig series packs in the first place? Something Lego put in to tease fans? Or is it the result of some manufacturing / packaging process?

I think it's a manufacturing thing to ensure each box contains an even (or preset) distribution of minifigs. The earlier minifig series had a barcode on them which was much easier to tell apart, probably too easy as the newer series has the raised bumps instead.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Shouldn't be too difficult to get another row of seats in front I think. Getting the seats on an angle looks relatively easy too.

And I'd redo the screen to make it slightly bigger and do better brick-built curtains.

Speaking of miniseries 9: I think this series is fantastic and want to start collecting them!! Now is there ANY other way to go about doing this without having to touch and feel them up in a store? Are there official complete sets ? (granted, collecting is half the fun but i don't want to spend excess cash on this little side project)

besides i doubt they're even available yet in the EU or are they? I only saw series 7 so far in a store :((((

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It also seems it would be possible to add another seat width-wise...so four in a row.
You could have at least 8 chairs, possibly 12 if it is possible to ad a row in the back

They need two bricks between seats for minifig arms..

If you don't plan to fill your seats you could cam them in and just have minifigs sitting in every other seat. I'd have preferred lego do that.

I'd have liked real curtains too, like in the VW camper

Going to need modding for sure. Ground floor is nice though, and having ticket sales on the street is efficient use of space

R-User!

Shouldn't be too difficult to get another row of seats in front I think. Getting the seats on an angle looks relatively easy too.

And I'd redo the screen to make it slightly bigger and do better brick-built curtains.

Yeah, that screen is more like an 80" HDTV screen as far as the Lego minifig head to screen size proportional ratio is concerned.

If that makes sense...

Basically that screen and room is too small.

Chuckie

Speaking of miniseries 9: I think this series is fantastic and want to start collecting them!! Now is there ANY other way to go about doing this without having to touch and feel them up in a store? Are there official complete sets ? (granted, collecting is half the fun but i don't want to spend excess cash on this little side project)

besides i doubt they're even available yet in the EU or are they? I only saw series 7 so far in a store :((((

There are those bubbles in the package appearantly...some sort of code. But problem is, I have never noticed them.

Chuckie

If you don't plan to fill your seats you could cam them in and just have minifigs sitting in every other seat. I'd have preferred lego do that.

No you just need one for the armrest. Basically you would need three spaces/studs to put a chair next to it. (Two for the chair, one for the extra armrest)

Yeah, that screen is more like an 80" HDTV screen as far as the Lego minifig head to screen size proportional ratio is concerned.

If that makes sense...

Basically that screen and room is too small.

I agree but i wasn't anticipating anything bigger since basically all of the other modular buildings (at least from i gathered from pictures) seem to have pretty cramped interiors, it's to be expected really, unless they make the buildings drastically larger on the outside as well.

beje

Banned
Aaaaand the final part of the post x-mas clearance haul.

Qp5wN.jpg

This plus the other two creator sets (Blue Roadster and Rotor Rescue) I posted earlier for under 40€ all.

Nope. You only need one stud between seats. When I was testing seating for a theater MOC I played around with it and you can get away with one brick between each seat and mini figs still sit perfectly.

While I love the outside of Palace Cinema, I am a bit disappointed in the interior of it. The screening room is very tiny, but the problem with a theater is that you need to put a lot of seats, and sadly that takes a lot of space. Even if it were not a corner building it would be difficult. Those tests I did above would fill so much room. To do a theater justice it needs to be on a 48x48 plate at minimum.

Loving the Palace Cinema set -- will buy day 1.

I'm seeing lots of mixed reactions on the internet, and I think some people's expectations for modulars and other large sets are a little out of control. If Lego made the sets that some people want or are expecting they would easily cost $500+. Look at the prior sets in this series, the interior detail has never been extensive. It looks like adding more seats to the layout should be pretty easy to do if you want. I actually think this interior is one of the better ones (not as good as FB, but better than GE, PS an TH IMO).

The one thing I will agree with is the disappointment if any stickers are used in this set (too early to say if they are or not, but the movie screen sure looks like a sticker). I'm also not crazy about the limo, but it will be nice to add another car to my street layout.

Movie screen looks like a sticker, but could easily be printed. The bottom edge looks like a sticker edge though. :(

The posters look printed though. Double sided printed window panes from the looks of it.
Also, let's hope that the stars on the sidewalk are printed tiles as well.

IronRinn

Did a search but didn't see anything: Anyone here attempt to recreate the Spinner LEGO made for Syd Mead? It's something I've wanted to try for a while but I'm not sure my brain functions in a way necessary to recreate a model from just pictures. Curious as to whether anyone's given it a shot and has any advice.

Even if you MOC it and add a couple rows, i am pretty sure the room will look too cramped unless you find a way to make that larger as well without sacrificing the exterior design.

As i said, if you look at it as a sort of "VIP" type experience for only a couple select guests, it makes it more bearable ;)

beje

Banned
Finally finished putting the log cabin together. Now I have a pretty good idea of how do modular buildings "work". I think I'll try expanding it with one more floor even if it's with clashing colours.

Anyone knows if the latest wave for January hit the stores yet? Star Wars specifically? My local walmart didn't have any and they're not listed on their site wither (in Canada), and toys'r'us only has the Z-95 listed on their site web, so I'm wondering if it's worth the drive to check out the store...

ruxtpin

Banned
As i said, if you look at it as a sort of "VIP" type experience for only a couple select guests, it makes it more bearable ;)

The top 1% of the Lego population? What about the 99% being held hostage by their corporate brick masters? Are they not worthy to place stud in the Lego Cinema? You sir - you disgust me.

woodypop

Finally finished putting the log cabin together. Now I have a pretty good idea of how do modular buildings "work". I think I'll try expanding it with one more floor even if it's with clashing colours.
Should be fairly easy to do, since the interior of the cabin is so sparse to begin with, and it's pretty much a simple rectangular box. I've had it for a while, and really should try the other builds. (Same goes for the lighthouse.)

You got a great deal on the Rotor Rescue set. I wouldn't mind having that one.

beje

Banned
Should be fairly easy to do, since the interior of the cabin is so sparse to begin with, and it's pretty much a simple rectangular box. I've had it for a while, and really should try the other builds. (Same goes for the lighthouse.)

You got a great deal on the Rotor Rescue set. I wouldn't mind having that one.

Derp, I just realised I don't even have enough 1*x bricks in my collection. Time to hunt for another clearance or second hand house.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
tee hee, local (as in, at my parents' home local) grocery store now has minifig bags. Couldn't resist and got the little cowboy guy :) I might buy more of those.

Just got back from some early Birthday shopping and bought 31006 - Highway Speedster and 75013 - Umbaran MHC (Mobile Heavy Cannon).

The canon at £25 comes with a brick separator which seems odd.

Falch

Palace modular looks quite good, but I agree that the interior is a bit cramped. Still, a must have for me. Releases in march, right?

Yes. He just uploaded these images to his flickr account. Save them for later cause they might disappear.

Glorious!

R-User!

Even if you MOC it and add a couple rows, i am pretty sure the room will look too cramped unless you find a way to make that larger as well without sacrificing the exterior design.

Yeah.... Dem Elites!

ghostmind

Considering the car design (and the minifig attire) that comes with the theater, I wouldn't consider that a stretch.

The modulars universe has always seemed to be in some quasi-oldentimes reality anyway.

R-User!

they give you $$$ off future purchases if you care to use them :)
just a simple points card.

5 dollars off coupon for every $100 spent, or,
5% off of every $100 dollars spent, but only applyable to a future purchase.

Basically a small incentive to buy an MSRP set through them for the "5%" off all the time factor.

Edit: beaten.

lingiii

Banned
So I got a LEGO Minecraft set last night after the limited holiday restock. I gotta say... not impressed.

I was freaked out at the end because I had just about a million leftover pieces, but I think I got everything. The thing just doesn't seem very cohesive; like there is lava but it doesn't really make a complete flow and stuff. Dude doesn't fit in his lil house? I dunno, it's kind of lame.

Steve's pretty sweet though.

R-User!

Now I'm hyped for the Palace Cinema and here's why!

You treat the room at the top of the Palace Cinema as a private screening room for Directors and/or big wigs and their guests, and you build next door either as part of the same street or as the beginning of a new street: A 32x32 or 48x48 Theatre for the Masses!

You could take a few pieces out of the wall of PC to make a passageway to the TotM!

Using a 48x48 you could leave 2 studs for the walls, 4 studs of width for the walkways on both sides of the rows of seats, and that would leave 38 studs left for 13 seats with a stud in the middle for armrests!

Two theater Palace Cinema purchase incoming!!!

But where do I get LOTS of red seats?! Brink link?

I was thinking that to make a large cinema screen, I would need lot of white tiles or I guess long white bricks could work too in a brick wall configuration. I would want to change the image of what's in the screen by printing screenshots of scenes from movies and laminating them and sliding them into the screen! :)

Wait!! I will make it so that my iPhone can slide in and act like a movie screen; that or its time to buy an iPad mini!

2-3 Palace Cinemas
300-450 dollars

1 iPad mini
300 dollars

65 Red seats
5 dollars

Building a Theater for the Masses:

Priceless!

American Express

Never go to The LEGO Store without it!

Begin crying bank account.... Begin crying.

Wait!! I will make it so that my iPhone can slide in and act like a movie screen; that or its time to buy an iPad mini!

Made me think of this;

1338692233m_SPLASH.jpg

1338692236m_SPLASH.jpg

These handsome chaps have joined my signature fig in the back row to watch Lego Star Wars. Ian and Max are both good friends of mine in "real" life. Using a second generation iPod touch, I have managed to loop ten minutes of the Lego Star Wars video game cutscenes into a nice little show.

Star Wars Relativity V2

Top Bottom