• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Going to have to wait on Galaxy Squad. That theme looks so awesome. But I must stick to the plan. Save up for SSD. Then I shall be caught up on stuff (VW van eventually). Priorities after SSD are Horizon Express, Arkham Asylum, and the new modular. Then it is whatever the hell I want since I will be caught up.

Still crossing fingers for Lego gift cards or the SSD for Christmas after the way my mother in law was talking.

ghostmind

25 minutes until the promo is over... curious what, if anything, will happen then.

Galaxy Squad will still be here when you are ready Phonciple... it's more than a "one and done".

25 minutes until the promo is over... curious what, if anything, will happen then.

Galaxy Squad will still be here when you are ready Phonciple... it's more than a "one and done".
Exactly. Most things will be there waiting for me. No rushing for things. It will feel good to be up to date.

Ainaurdur

Exactly. Most things will be there waiting for me. No rushing for things. It will feel good to be up to date.

I would love to have that feeling. But at the rate I am going, I do not think I will ever really get there. Unless I convince myself that I don't really want some of the sets I think I do, since my wallet cannot quite keep up.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Our LEGO Store says Galaxy Squad sets should be out on Friday! Really looking forward to Space Swarmer, Warp Stinger and Space Mantis.
Wish there were more aliens (or at least more per set). At 1 alien per set and tons of squads, there's not many creatures to hunt!

Would love to get Vermin Vaporizer as well, but it'll be hard to swallow $50 for it.

I used to be really into Technic when I was a kid, peaking when I was about 10-12, so about 16-18 years ago. I had quite a few technic sets, and a lot of sets I inherited from my uncle, including the original space/moon themed sets. I gave all of them back to my uncle when he had his own kids years ago.

Recently I've been picking up the newer technic sets and fooling with them, and it's a blast. My biggest disappointment is that they changed the style of the beams that are used in technic sets. They changed them from beams that could be used freely with legos from other sets, to the rounded, studless beams. I'm not sure why they made the choice to do that as some of the most fun I had was combining technic part with the parts from other sets. Did they ever give a reasoning as to why they did this? Was it solely to make the technic sets look more rounded and closer to reality?

I used to be really into Technic when I was a kid, peaking when I was about 10-12, so about 16-18 years ago. I had quite a few technic sets, and a lot of sets I inherited from my uncle, including the original space/moon themed sets. I gave all of them back to my uncle when he had his own kids years ago.

Recently I've been picking up the newer technic sets and fooling with them, and it's a blast. My biggest disappointment is that they changed the style of the beams that are used in technic sets. They changed them from beams that could be used freely with legos from other sets, to the rounded, studless beams. I'm not sure why they made the choice to do that as some of the most fun I had was combining technic part with the parts from other sets. Did they ever give a reasoning as to why they did this? Was it solely to make the technic sets look more rounded and closer to reality?

I notice more old skool technic beams and pieces in regular sets now than they used to have in the 80s and early 90s, so I think they moved to the studless beams to differentiate the sets. I honestly like it, because it makes them feel like unique beasts.

And many sets incorporate the studless Technic beams. Imperial Shuttle has tons of them in it.

I notice more old skool technic beams and pieces in regular sets now than they used to have in the 80s and early 90s, so I think they moved to the studless beams to differentiate the sets. I honestly like it, because it makes them feel like unique beasts.

And many sets incorporate the studless Technic beams. Imperial Shuttle has tons of them in it.

They always felt unique to me more because of the moving parts and the realism of the designs. I remember building the Off Roader as a kid and not only having my mind blown because it had a rear suspension, but it also had rack and pinion steering. But I used to like to take that and a bunch of baseplates and build a big rig truck with a full trailer, or once I built a garage with a lift in it for my minifigs to do maintenance on my technic vehicles. I used to incorporate machine parts into buildings I would make (often used to disassemble poor minifigs in cruel ways). It was much easier/cheaper to do just using the standard pieces and add in technic pieces where I needed. It feels like some of that may be lost, but I guess if the old style struts are making their way into regular sets it may not be a wash.

Rootbeer

Banned
a lot of LEGO hobbit stuff now in stock on USA amazon. Still looking around to see what else is in stock. No sign of Galaxy Squad yet.

Pulled the trigger on mirkwood spiders and the riddles set. Think I'll wait on the others for the time being. Bag End is tempting me though.

Probably gonna be forced to own 5 Gandalfs to get all the Dwarves all said :p It's okay though, I'll find uses for all the pieces eventually!

Gandalf is definitely the Bumblebee of the LEGO Tolkien world.

Riddles for The Ring
Escape from Mirkwood Spiders
An Unexpected Gathering
Attack of the Wargs
The Goblin King Battle
Barrel Escape (no stock yet)

Only the cutest get a spot on the Lego Blanket.
blanket, you heretic
lego_warning.jpg%3Fw%3D500

Question for obsessive gaf:

Most minifigures series come with a handful of new prints & pieces. (often between 10-13 in later sets I think)

A thing I've been really curious about, how many "unique" parts from each Minifig set have been featured in regular sets so far? And how many haven't?

I feel like a lot of stuff like new weapons/swords, hair molds and other things are often introduced into the MF line simply to become fairly mainstream in regular sets not too
soon after.

Anyone have any stats on this? If not I'll look into it myself.

while for many pieces its true Im pretty sure there are unique parts too, but I have no stats to qualify that.

How long do sets usually last before going OOP? Is it something they decide when they release it or is it based on popularity?
our general rule of thumb 2 years

also I will continue to lobby for the title change to LEGO :p

Rootbeer

Banned
Still pissed off at the price difference between the US and Europe (Un Unexpected Gathering)
70 dollar vs 90 euro is ridicoulous.

I did see it somewhere for 75 euro though, so I guess thats a bit better
Sorry to hear that... well, except that things like that just make me want to suck it up and buy it immediately :p Must resist.

Still pissed off at the price difference between the US and Europe (Un Unexpected Gathering)
70 dollar vs 90 euro is ridicoulous.

I did see it somewhere for 75 euro though, so I guess thats a bit better

Wait till you go from USD to AUD. Crazy price differences for Lego.

Chuckie

Wait till you go from USD to AUD. Crazy price differences for Lego.

Yeah I know, that is even sicker.

Normally its 1 on 1 (Euro vs Dollar) So a set that is 50 dollar is also 50 euro (talking official prices, not all those crazy great offers those Yanks get)

It's the same with the Hobbit sets as far as I can see...EXCEPT the one set I really want... that is suddenly 90 euro instead of 70

Ironmask

Question for obsessive gaf:

Most minifigures series come with a handful of new prints & pieces. (often between 10-13 in later sets I think)

A thing I've been really curious about, how many "unique" parts from each Minifig set have been featured in regular sets so far? And how many haven't?

I feel like a lot of stuff like new weapons/swords, hair molds and other things are often introduced into the MF line simply to become fairly mainstream in regular sets not too
soon after.

Anyone have any stats on this? If not I'll look into it myself.

pretty much all the monters on the LMC became Monster Fighters minifig with little to none modification.

the other items were in time with the production of the other LEGO sets

update on my millennium falcon bricklink list

slowly getting there, the disheartening thing though is the fact the the big expensive beams and plates are yet to come.
w9qs5.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
update on my millennium falcon bricklink list

slowly getting there, the disheartening thing though is the fact the the big expensive beams and plates are yet to come.
w9qs5.png

Have you worked through which pieces you might substitute cheaper ones for? Eg most if not all of the internal superstructure will be invisible so you can look for the cheapest beams etc. possibly even different colours if it means you can order from one supplier

Kletian

Bought Unexpected gathering and Worgs yesterday. Both are awesome builds (in my limited sub $100 experience) I'm always amazed at large tree builds but am dissapointed when I'm done and all I'm left with is well, a Tree.

Bad End is such a visually appealing set when its done.

ms14BRaw

judhudson

Whoa another LEGO spider set. Going to grab that one just like I did for the LOTR one...I just want the spiders, not the Minifigs.

Bought Unexpected gathering and Worgs yesterday. Both are awesome builds (in my limited sub $100 experience) I'm always amazed at large tree builds but am dissapointed when I'm done and all I'm left with is well, a Tree.

Bad End is such a visually appealing set when its done.

ms14BRaw

Bag End does look amazing. But when I see the exposed rear, I'm bummed out. I wish it was a fully enclosed set that would open up for play.

I still only own the two tiniest LotR sets and now Hobbit's already out :( I'll be living without barrel escape and goblin king, looks like. Helm's deep, someday :'(

I can't believe what a jump there was in the number of sets released this year. That's really interesting-thanks for posting it.

yea I only just saw that too, "impressive" makes it even more impossible to keep up ;p

not really sure how to explain it, where the moooore polybags and stuff like that?
but good for LEGO they must be on a roll with sales and such.

Top Bottom