• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

DJ_Lae

Well, Fedex dumped my Lego order by my front door according to the tracking, no signature required.

I live on a really busy street, tempted to leave work early and hope to hell it's still sitting there. Don't want to deal with either them or Lego to try and sort out who's going to be paying me for another $250 order of Lego, but I have no idea why they'd just dump it, it's not exactly a safe location.

Well, Fedex dumped my Lego order by my front door according to the tracking, no signature required.

I live on a really busy street, tempted to leave work early and hope to hell it's still sitting there. Don't want to deal with either them or Lego to try and sort out who's going to be paying me for another $250 order of Lego, but I have no idea why they'd just dump it, it's not exactly a safe location.

well that sucks, I would be quite paranoid about that...

Rebrickable isn't complete though - older sets are more likely to be missing than newer sets. Also, that includes MOCs, which would mostly have been added this year.
true, hadn't thought about that.

yea I only just saw that too, "impressive" makes it even more impossible to keep up ;p

not really sure how to explain it, where the moooore polybags and stuff like that?
but good for LEGO they must be on a roll with sales and such.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

I think there was an extra set of minifigs, plus the introduction of all of the Friends minifig bags and the Friends Pets bags. It also seemed like there were more Holiday (Halloween etc.) sets than usual.

Take Christmas for example:

Winter Village
Christmas 2012 Bonus
Friends Advent Calendar
City Advent Calendar
SW Advent Calendar
Rocking Horse poly
Train poly
Santa's Sleigh poly

I'm probably missing a few. I wonder if they count those Ornamental balls w/ bricks in them as a set?

well I took the brickset numbers and plotted them and there is still a noticeable jump in the last two years.

[edit]
no longer looks as dramatic if you look at the increase in percentages over the previous year

bodine1231

Do you have other modulars? If so, pet shop. If you don't, and are a fan of Star Wars, R2D2 is great

I think I may get R2 just because he's on sale on Amazon for 140. Although for some reason I want the Death Star really really bad (I think its for all the minifigs) and it would be best to hold out until I get the money for it or hope for a sale. I got a nice 2 1/2 set backlog working to tide me over until then.

bodine1231

Look what Mr Postman dropped off...

20121127_171534.jpg

bodine1231

TRU has just allowed the SSD and Deathstar to be included in the B1G1 on their website! SHIT!! I just bought the damn shuttle,I knew this would happen. Although I don't think I can do 600.00 at once on LEGO,way to much buyers remorse on that.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
HqrPF.jpg

uPTey.jpg

Looks like a glorified battle-pack.

I do have the current Hoth Wampa set, but another snowspeeder, a few more minifigures, and a tauntaun is perfectly fine to me. Of course at some point I need to add an AT-AT.

Speaking of battle-packs - I wouldn't mind one for Galaxy Squad. Need more baddies.

Finished the B-Wing last night. It's amazing. Probably my favourite set thus far, actually (I'm definitely a ship/vehicle guy when it comes to Lego). The sheer size simply cannot be justly described or illustrated. And the details are gorgeous. Apart from the underside of the wings, no area looks unfinished or lacking in attention.

The build itself is a lot more fun than you'd anticipate, seeing as more than half of it is comprised of symmetrical construction. It's the final product of joining two pieces together that really does it. Instead of dreading the build for an identical structure, I found myself excited to see what it'd become when fused; 'more than the sum of its parts', if you will. There is a special sort of joyous wave that washes over when you connect one massive part to another and behold its latest form.

And holy shit, is it solid (and weighty!). I really don't understand the complaints about fragility. Everything is affixed with gusto; as solid as I've experienced with a big set. You could even swoosh the bastard if you wanted to, but your arms would most certainly get tired.

Anyway, wholeheartedly recommended. Sure, it could be a bit cheaper given the piece count, but the epicness of the build somewhat negates its humble-for-the-price piece count.

GET THE BIG-WING, YO.

Naka

HqrPF.jpg

uPTey.jpg

Looks like a glorified battle-pack.

It looks like they took the two existing Hoth Battle packs, the Speeder from the Wampa set and added a Tauntaun. Not that this is a bad thing as most of these things aren't easy to find these days. However, since I have all of these sets I'm a little disappointed as I was hoping for something new to add to my Hoth Battle...

GRRRR. Apparently Amazon flagged my R2 as "Signature Required." So they could not leave it at the leasing office while attempting delivery today. So now I wait another day for R2D2. Hopefully the punks at UPS will leave it at the office when I sign the little door tag. Punks.

Also, Bodine, I have two questions:

1) Did you find the box for Imperial Shuttle comically large when you first saw it? I know I did. But it was my first super huge set so that might play into it.

2) Did you move onto the second floor of Fire Brigade yet?

I think I may get R2 just because he's on sale on Amazon for 140. Although for some reason I want the Death Star really really bad (I think its for all the minifigs) and it would be best to hold out until I get the money for it or hope for a sale. I got a nice 2 1/2 set backlog working to tide me over until then.

Death Star! You have time on R2. He is only a few months old. Death Star is an odd beast because it should have been OOP long ago. But it is my personal favorite set. So many great mini figs, and the entire build is just a huge nostalgia trip as it comes together.

Obligatory Death Star Time Lapse Video

ghostmind

I'm confused. The box lineup and the description say 5 minifigs, the big picture on the box shows 6 minifigs, and the bottom image shows 7 minifigs (including what appears to be 2 Luke's).

It's a mess... I think the box says "Snowtroopers x2", which they have done in the past, but then why show the Rebel troopers separately, unless they have different heads. The 2 Luke's thing is an error, and I wonder if this set was originally supposed to have Luke & Dack.

As to the set itself, why do we have a speeder bike on Hoth? I don't recall that in ESB. Wouldn't an ice planet be cold enough without travelling at high speeds, which would markedly increase the wind chill?

I realize that this isn't the first time they've given us a Hoth speederbike (in fact its the third... weee!), but try something different.

Let's go on a little history trip:

xZZPY.jpg

2007 brought us the first LEGO Hoth set, "Hoth Rebel Base", and it looks pretty good. We've got a Snowspeeder, a Probe Droid, a Rebel Turret, an e-web gun, and the famous doors to the Rebel Base.

uCGzO.jpg

2009 brings us "Echo Base", which isn't a very accurate name. Still, we get another turret, another e-web, a bit of a trench and OHMIGOD IS THAT HAN ON A TAUNTAUN?!?

dg6sR.jpg

2010 brought us 3 Hoth sets, but to be fair 2 of them were battle packs. The first one has some cool new Hoth rebel troopers, including one moustachioed fellow riding an armed zamboni of some kind.

eb4Gx.jpg

Our second battle pack brings us a good selection of Hoth Imperials and the first appearance of my favorite, the Hoth speeder bike (because why not have speeder bikes in every environment?)

ASbE0.jpg

One of the gems of 2010 was the "Hoth Wampa Cave". Another Snowspeeder (it had been a bit though), but a wonderful playset of the Wampa about to get snacking.

OshE5.jpg

2011 brought us this monstrosity - with only the most fleeting resemblance to "Hoth Echo Base". Remember the scene where they had to climb ladders and move boxes? There are a few gems in the rough - namely some control center parts and who wouldn't want a bacta tank with Seminude-Luke? Yay, another Han with Tauntaun! Boo, another Hoth speederbike.

HqrPF.jpg

Which brings us to 2013, and a set that looks like "a little bit from this, a little bit from that, and not a whole lot of new". This one screams TRU exclusive.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if it's been posted, but some high quality pictures of upcoming sets have been posted online, including pictures of the sets and their boxes!

Galaxy Squad
Legends of Chima
TMNT

Impressions on sets with new/clearer images:
Galaxy Squad
-Space Swarmer (70700) is an instant buy. Affordable set, great figures, awesome army-building ship. Buy two if you have to! (Those Alien Beetles are adorable!)
-Swarm Interceptor (70701) looks like the $15 impulse buy of the line. The ship looks great and the cockpit appears to detach into an escape pod. It's a shame Solomon Blaze doesn't come with his cool blue robot (see 70703), but any opportunity for an extra Alien Mosquito is welcome in my book!
-We finally get a clear look at the Warp Stinger (70702), and boy is it magnificent! Seems to be the $20 mech/ship LEGO always makes. There's some clever parts and has an overall fun aesthetic. Billy Starbeam and his robot look nice as well.
-The Space Mantis (70703) is one of my most anticipated sets of the line. At around $30-$40, it comes with one of the cool pods and a neat buggy for the Galaxy Squad guys. The design seems a tad fragile, but hopefully reviews will prove me wrong. You also get an exclusive Red Alien Beetle and Solomon Blaze's robot! The Squad sure makes Solomon Blaze do all their work for them!
-Vermin Vaporizer (70704) appears to be $50-$60 birthday/Christmas set. Unfortunately this is where the balance between Aliens and the Squad tips; the Squad have extremely technological robots and raiders while the Aliens have...tiny bug ships. The poor lone Alien Mosquito will be run over by the vehicle, blasted by the mech, sliced by the robot and collected by the mini buggy! Not that this is a bad set--I definitely love the aesthetic of the vehicle and its many play features. Chuck Stonebreaker and his robot must be the crazy demolition experts of the Squad.
-Bug Obliterator (70705) definitely lives up to its name--and at around $80-$100 will obliterate your wallet in the process! The Alien Mosquito rides his space dragonfly into a one-sided battle, with Jack Fireblade and Ashlee Starstrider waiting to pulverize him in their jet/vehicle combo (the robot will clean up the mess)! I was intrigued with this set and the play features, but it's obvious that you're investing in the different colored Squads at this point. The vehicle is streamlined with many hidden weapons and machinery, while the jet is rugged and ready to take down the defenseless space vermin. A nice set for the vehicles, but for a swarm of Aliens I'd expect more than one Alien in these larger sets.

Overall, Galaxy Squad looks to be an incredibly fun line. There's some creative avenues that could be followed with the Aliens by creating vehicles for specific ones, like a burrower for the Alien Beetle. The Aliens feel underpowered and make you question why there needs to be a squad to deal with them. Perhaps LEGO considers you'll buy a ton of Space Swarmers for a power-in-numbers deal? Maybe they thought that after Alien Conquest they needed humans that weren't helpless? Regardless, but I feel that the larger sets need large alien ships to battle! (Maybe series 2 will see a rise in Alien tech?)

Definitely get the first three sets and consider the rest. There should be an affordable polybag in 2013 that hopefully comes with an Alien.

OshE5.jpg

2011 brought us this monstrosity - with only the most fleeting resemblance to "Hoth Echo Base". Remember the scene where they had to climb ladders and move boxes? There are a few gems in the rough - namely some control center parts and who wouldn't want a bacta tank with Seminude-Luke? Yay, another Han with Tauntain! Boo, another Hoth speederbike.

I really enjoyed this post-thanks for making it.

I'm glad I'm not alone in my disdain for the Echo Base. I came close to buying it & went for the X-Wing instead. The Echo Base has some cool figs but the design is incredibly dull. There is nothing going on with the exterior either-it's totally bare.

It's a mess... I think the box says "Snowtroopers x2", which they have done in the past, but then why show the Rebel troopers separately, unless they have different heads. The 2 Luke's thing is an error, and I wonder if this set was originally supposed to have Luke & Dack.

As to the set itself, why do we have a speeder bike on Hoth? I don't recall that in ESB. Wouldn't an ice planet be cold enough without travelling at high speeds, which would markedly increase the wind chill?

I realize that this isn't the first time they've given us a Hoth speederbike (in fact its the third... weee!), but try something different.

Let's go on a little history trip:

Good post.

Were there any other snow speeder sets at some point further back? Like late 90s/early 2000s?

Because I explicitly remember building and playing with a snow speeder at some point in my childhood, but its not any of those sets. Just curious.

Oh, and yes, I still lurk this thread and get extremely jealous at all of you guys. Right now its looking like I won't be able to get into any of this stuff until next summer, probably. But until then I'll still lurk like a bawss.

ghostmind

Good post.

Were there any other snow speeder sets at some point further back? Like late 90s/early 2000s?

Because I explicitly remember building and playing with a snow speeder at some point in my childhood, but its not any of those sets. Just curious.

Oh, and yes, I still lurk this thread and get extremely jealous at all of you guys. Right now its looking like I won't be able to get into any of this stuff until next summer, probably. But until then I'll still lurk like a bawss.

There have been two, one in 1999 and another in 2004, plus a UCS in 2003.

Sora_N

lego_stand-1.jpg

Got parts for my minifigure display, borrowed the design from Splat on Eurobricks. Pretty happy with it but I'm still waiting for the last 2 from series 7 to put into the last 2 spots.

Ghostmind, you're the man! All of the sets are awesome. But the I'm liking the least is the Space Mantis. Looks like I won't have much playability or swoosh ability.

Kryten

Huge ass Lego Gandalf and Frodo at the Air NZ lounge here in Wellington airport. I picked a bad day to be here with the movie premiere underway, but hey, Lego! Gandalf is about 5ft high, not to actual Ian McKellen scale.

Sorry about the pics, the light in here is terrible.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
so, R2-D2.

After being down on this set, and only grabbing it thanks to the great amazon sale, I am eating my own words. It was a very enjoyable set to build. The interior build for locking the wheel in place is very neat.

I do stand by my original complain that there should be flat tiles on the head. While it still looks good, the visible studs on the head, and a very, very clean body it just looks like two different designers had their say in it.

bodine1231

GRRRR. Apparently Amazon flagged my R2 as "Signature Required." So they could not leave it at the leasing office while attempting delivery today. So now I wait another day for R2D2. Hopefully the punks at UPS will leave it at the office when I sign the little door tag. Punks.

Also, Bodine, I have two questions:

1) Did you find the box for Imperial Shuttle comically large when you first saw it? I know I did. But it was my first super huge set so that might play into it.

2) Did you move onto the second floor of Fire Brigade yet?

1) No not really. At 2500 pieces I expected it to be around the size of the Fire Brigade box.

2) I work double shifts Mon. and Tues. so I dont have time to build. I'll start tomorrow.

bodine1231

Death Star! You have time on R2. He is only a few months old. Death Star is an odd beast because it should have been OOP long ago. But it is my personal favorite set. So many great mini figs, and the entire build is just a huge nostalgia trip as it comes together.

Obligatory Death Star Time Lapse Video

Its more of a money thing than a want thing. While I do have plenty of cash on hand for the Death Star, I've already spent 500.00 this month on Lego and I havent even finished Fire Brigade which I bought two weeks ago. Also, with all these sales going on for Lego I think waiting until after Christmas for a sale would be the smarter move. Like I said, if it was the price of the SSD on Amazon I'd already have it.
I've also been looking on eBay for used complete ones to no avail...

ghostmind

so, R2-D2.

After being down on this set, and only grabbing it thanks to the great amazon sale, I am eating my own words. It was a very enjoyable set to build. The interior build for locking the wheel in place is very neat.

I do stand by my original complain that there should be flat tiles on the head. While it still looks good, the visible studs on the head, and a very, very clean body it just looks like two different designers had their say in it.

That's actually exactly what happened - one designer picked up where another left off when the first one went on paternity leave.

I found this really great Mini Modular Haunted House MOC while Googling a bit.

It's not a 1:1 mini-replica, the builder wanted to capture the feel as best as they could. I think they did a fantastic job with it. I might even use it as a jumping off point and see if I can make some tweaks to it.

There is another one that looks a lot more faithful to the original, but I don't think it looks real great in practice plus it doesn't actually have the connectors of a mini-modular:

I found this really great Mini Modular Haunted House MOC while Googling a bit.

It's not a 1:1 mini-replica, the builder wanted to capture the feel as best as they could. I think they did a fantastic job with it. I might even use it as a jumping off point and see if I can make some tweaks to it.

There is another one that looks a lot more faithful to the original, but I don't think it looks real great in practice plus it doesn't actually have the connectors of a mini-modular:

The top one just looks too plain to me. The bottom one looks great though. It would not be hard to modify it to fit with the other mini modulars though.

Top Bottom