• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

MisterNoisy

If you're still on the fence about the Galaxy Squad sets, check your local Wal-Mart. Mine is clearing them all out at great discounts (Galactic Titan for $49, Hive Crawler for $35, etc).

12330499345_ce8c05924c_c.jpg

SHIPS TOUCHIN' TIPS!!

Awesome, awesome setup Ryuuroden. Love the building table with the bins underneath. Awesome.

Jimbro72

Damn, Ryuuroden. That is impressive! As someone who also has his own LEGO/hobby room, yours is quite drool worthy and is clearly better set up and organized than mine.

mrkgoo

Jeebus, Ryuuroden...

Actually, my brother has a ton of Star Wars Lego, as he buys lots of toys, but has moved on to Hot Toys and other Japanese collectibles. Dismantled, it's still just one large tub, though.

Myself, I just have a corner coffee tableI could list all my sets on a couple hands!

In other news, since it's a 20% Lego weekend, I am thinking of picking up another set...
Maybe Furry Creatures or the little train.

Is the Furry Creatures a cool set?

Ponn

Banned
Both Creator Animal sets are pure awesome at $20 bucks. I still have to rebuild each set as the alternates but everyone at work has been getting kick out of both sets.

----

Also I decided to skip Lego Movie and see Vampire Academy instead. It just seems like a can't miss movie that will define a generation.

I was laughing the entire time I typed that

Both Creator Animal sets are pure awesome at $20 bucks. I still have to rebuild each set as the alternates but everyone at work has been getting kick out of both sets.

----

Also I decided to skip Lego Movie and see Vampire Academy instead. It just seems like a can't miss movie that will define a generation.

Hey, now! Most of the trailers look awful, but knowing that Vampire Academy is from the writer of Heathers gives me a little hope for a good comedy.

Jeebus, Ryuuroden...

Actually, my brother has a ton of Star Wars Lego, as he buys lots of toys, but has moved on to Hot Toys and other Japanese collectibles. Dismantled, it's still just one large tub, though.

Myself, I just have a corner coffee tableI could list all my sets on a couple hands!

In other news, since it's a 20% Lego weekend, I am thinking of picking up another set...
Maybe Furry Creatures or the little train.

Is the Furry Creatures a cool set?

What Ponn said. The two Creator animal sets are aces. Well worth regular price at $20, but if you can get them for less that is even better. Get them. They are fantastic.

And speaking of deals, Amazon has Gorzan's Gorilla Striker for $33.99 (32% off) right now.
I dont have the set yet, but it is a gorilla mech. How could you not want it?

70008_alt1.jpg

Ryuuroden

I got the first bags of "Best" Star lying out on the table. That is one quite well packed box. I love the instruction booklet. Not sure how much I'll build of it tonight.

I got the first bags of "Best" Star lying out on the table. That is one quite well packed box. I love the instruction booklet. Not sure how much I'll build of it tonight.

kKCuzzE.gif

Knowing your collection, I am curious as to your thoughts on the set as you build.

It is not the most difficult or intriguing build as far as technique goes. In fact, a ton of it is rather basic and straight forward, with a few VERY cool and unique sections. It is the nostalgia rush and glee that comes from it all coming together that sets it at the top of the heap for me.

mrkgoo

----

Hey, now! Most of the trailers look awful, but knowing that Vampire Academy is from the writer of Heathers gives me a little hope for a good comedy.

What Ponn said. The two Creator animal sets are aces. Well worth regular price at $20, but if you can get them for less that is even better. Get them. They are fantastic.

And speaking of deals, Amazon has Gorzan's Gorilla Striker for $33.99 (32% off) right now.
I dont have the set yet, but it is a gorilla mech. How could you not want it?

70008_alt1.jpg

Well I'm in NZ and those sets at NZ$40, about US$32.

It's the same price as the new quad bike creator set which is actually us$25 I believe.

When I first saw them online they looked cool, but I'm kind of doubting their funness once I saw the boxes in person. That said, nearly all Lego sets are more fun than their boxes give them credit for...

Hmmm. But thanks for the input. I'll think about it.

Ryuuroden

kKCuzzE.gif

Knowing your collection, I am curious as to your thoughts on the set as you build.

It is not the most difficult or intriguing build as far as technique goes. In fact, a ton of it is rather basic and straight forward, with a few VERY cool and unique sections. It is the nostalgia rush and glee that comes from it all coming together that sets it at the top of the heap for me.

Well I already got a little excitement by putting all the minifigs together because seeing how they were dressed made me think about the scenes they would be dressed like that for. Years ago I actually got to play with the set somewhere I just don't remember where so I sort of remember the features. Anyways, I got the beginning of the base started and it took like 45 minutes to put all the minifigs together because of all the similar outfits and faces. Now that I am past that, the build will speed up quite a bit. I do think I am taking a break for the night because I am pretty exhausted from other things I had to do today and I can't enjoy the build as much if I am tired. This is the first time I've ever built a set on a table and my back feels soo much better for it.

So I want to collect all of the upcoming Simpsons minifigures. I've never tried to collect minifigures before and I don't want to waste money on mystery polybags. I think that AFOLs usually buy a box of them but what are the details? Don't you generally have to split it with someone else to make it worth it? If so, anybody wanna go in on a box with me whenever it comes out?

For the regular CMFs they have recently started selling boxes of 30 which you can usually get for 60€ so that is a good deal to get a complete set and extras without any hassle for a reasonable price.
Not sure if they did this for the Movie or are going to do it for the Simpsons, I hope so though.

ghostmind

For the regular CMFs they have recently started selling boxes of 30 which you can usually get for 60€ so that is a good deal to get a complete set and extras without any hassle for a reasonable price.
Not sure if they did this for the Movie or are going to do it for the Simpsons, I hope so though.

They did the 30 box for the Movie, but they are pretty rare, and the reseller price on them makes it an unattractive choice compared to the 60 box.

I did buy a box of 60 for Series 10, in a futile attempt to get Mr. Gold, but in other series I just buy the individual minifigs from Bricklink. Sellers that know their stuff will sell them in a still-sealed state, and the premium is not that much over a blind-buy.

neonglow

I picked up a used copy of Mythical Creatures 4894. This is an awesome brick built dragon! I'm very impressed with the size of the thing.

ghostmind

I picked up a used copy of Mythical Creatures 4894. This is an awesome brick built dragon! I'm very impressed with the size of the thing.

Wow, an 8-in-1 set?!? You have to build the hydra next!

EDIT: I really like the fabric wings - they need to bring that back.

neonglow

Wow, an 8-in-1 set?!? You have to build the hydra next!

EDIT: I really like the fabric wings - they need to bring that back.

Give me like a week or 2 after I get tired of displaying him in his current form.

WOW that dragon is huge, and according to brickset the original retail price was only 29.99 (in 2007)... outstanding.

Creator used to be an really good deal. $30 for 588 pieces and it came with a light brick for the flames. Nowadays, they're priced just like any other set.

Ponn

Banned
Wow that is an awesome set Neon. If the Smaug set is indeed that fig from that castle set im going to be super disappointed now after seeing that.

Krilekk

Banned
September 2013: No Lego sets. No Mega Bloks. Bought Mega Bloks Halo Cryo Chamber.
End of October 2013: Own pretty much every Halo Mega Bloks set there is. And a collection of around 100 minifigures to go with them.
November 2013: A Youtube video showing off the Winter Village Market leads me to lego.com and an instant purchase of the set.
End of January 2014: I have bought in the last two months:

All Galaxy Squad sets
All Alien Conquest sets
All Lone Ranger sets
All Winter Village sets
All (read 10) Star Wars OT sets that I'm interested in with the exception of the Death Star
All Lego Dino sets
A couple of Creator sets (but my main focus will from now on be the animal sets)
My first modular, the Fire Station. The next four will be bought come next double VIP points.
And about 160 collectable minifigures.
Up next: All Super Secret Police sets. But most of all the Dropship.

I'm just glad I'm not into the Architecture sets as well. I'm keeping almost everything in the boxes, don't know what I will do in the future. Maybe sell some stuff for a profit, maybe keep it around for my future kids to enjoy with me, open and build them all (normally I only build when I'm frustrated from work), get into MOC building. I remember having loads of sets from my childhood, might as well rebuild those. But Lego is great. Thank you Minecraft, thank you Mega Bloks, thank you Lego. It's very rare these days that you can have an affordable hobby that keeps its value and often even rises.

Rootbeer

Banned
Krilekk... wow you have acquired a LOT in such a short period. Very intense. And you have all the LEGO Dino? those aren't cheap to find in 2014. I wish I had some of them.

I'm hoping they will re-introduce Dino, maybe in 2015. With a new JP movie coming, it could be big for them.

Krilekk

Banned
Krilekk... wow you have acquired a LOT in such a short period. Very intense. And you have all the LEGO Dino? those aren't cheap to find in 2014. I wish I had some of them.

I'm hoping they will re-introduce Dino, maybe in 2015. With a new JP movie coming, it could be big for them.

Hard to find but not impossible. I drove around and visited quite some stores (mostly small ones) and found lots of old sets reduced. The only Dino set I don't have is the transport chopper. But only cause my TRU store has seven of those still in stock. Waiting for a better price on that one.

Totally forgot the Lord of the Rings sets. Have a couple of those including Unexpected Gathering and want the Tower of Orthanc at some point.

Rootbeer

Banned
Found lots of old sets reduced? I clearly live in the wrong area... sometimes sets will go on clearance but they are quickly snatched up. It's not common to see sets sitting around at reduced prices here unless it's just not a very good set. There is an Alien mothership that's been at my local TRU for a long time -- it's slightly marked down, but not to what i'd consider a 'steal', also it's just not a good set.

I'd be jumping for joy if I found some Dino reduced!

Found lots of old sets reduced? I clearly live in the wrong area... sometimes sets will go on clearance but they are quickly snatched up. It's not common to see sets sitting around at reduced prices here unless it's just not a very good set. There is an Alien mothership that's been at my local TRU for a long time -- it's slightly marked down, but not to what i'd consider a 'steal', also it's just not a good set.

I'd be jumping for joy if I found some Dino reduced!

Check your Wal-Mart stores, they often have old sets lying around and sometimes they will have a discount if you check the price with the price scanner. This often works sad to say with the stores in the sketchy parts of town...=/

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Got a little photo bomb of the beginnings of my setup at my new place. First 2 pictures are of some of my sets in other rooms on display. Still much to do and not everything I have is photographed.

12330513895_3d0447aa05_c.jpg

The following picture is all my sets that I haven't built yet. There are a ton of them in the zip lock bags in the 2 boxes as well as the ones I haven't removed from the boxes. They are some of the sets I had listed in an earlier post of what I had for backlog.

12330945854_d1a664d349_c.jpg

Amazing setup. I need to see more of these modulars. 4 GE? 2 FB? 2 GG? wow.....

ghostmind

From a smart business perspective, today or tomorrow would be great timing to unveil the Sea Cow.

I'm not dropping hints saying that, just my pure speculation and wishful thinking.

Is that a panda driving a jet ski? Is it the same mould as the one in The LEGO Movie Panda CMF?

I spy a new piece. The vine. Seems like LEGO friends may introduce a lot of new pieces to make them more playset like. LEGO will have to balance between the reusable aspect and the dollhouse aspect (i.e. Playmobil). I love the new Friends accessories that can be used with minifigs, but I hope it doesn't get out of hand.

Wow that is an awesome set Neon. If the Smaug set is indeed that fig from that castle set im going to be super disappointed now after seeing that.

Smaug, Smaug, SMAUG. Brick built Smaug please!

September 2013: No Lego sets. No Mega Bloks. Bought Mega Bloks Halo Cryo Chamber.
End of October 2013: Own pretty much every Halo Mega Bloks set there is. And a collection of around 100 minifigures to go with them.
November 2013: A Youtube video showing off the Winter Village Market leads me to lego.com and an instant purchase of the set.
End of January 2014: I have bought in the last two months:

All Galaxy Squad sets
All Alien Conquest sets
All Lone Ranger sets
All Winter Village sets
All (read 10) Star Wars OT sets that I'm interested in with the exception of the Death Star
All Lego Dino sets
A couple of Creator sets (but my main focus will from now on be the animal sets)
My first modular, the Fire Station. The next four will be bought come next double VIP points.
And about 160 collectable minifigures.
Up next: All Super Secret Police sets. But most of all the Dropship.

I'm just glad I'm not into the Architecture sets as well. I'm keeping almost everything in the boxes, don't know what I will do in the future. Maybe sell some stuff for a profit, maybe keep it around for my future kids to enjoy with me, open and build them all (normally I only build when I'm frustrated from work), get into MOC building. I remember having loads of sets from my childhood, might as well rebuild those. But Lego is great. Thank you Minecraft, thank you Mega Bloks, thank you Lego. It's very rare these days that you can have an affordable hobby that keeps its value and often even rises.

Affordable hobby? I have to ask what other hobbies you have or had. I spend way more than I should on LEGO, and that's skipping a lot of sets I kinda want too.

Welcome to money black hole. You will have one of 2 problems or both.
1) Not enough money
2) Not enough space

Got a little photo bomb of the beginnings of my setup at my new place. First 2 pictures are of some of my sets in other rooms on display. Still much to do and not everything I have is photographed.

12330948774_0bfe0250fe_c.jpg

Awesome setup. Is that supposed to be Marshal Fields? Thanks for reminding us that you can get more than one of the same modular to expand it. As if just getting one of each modular wasn't expensive enough. Thanks!

I finished another small MOC:

0PN5uyU.jpg

It's mostly a new Friends/Disney Princess version of my existing character and a setup for the dragon I bought some time ago.

More pictures at my blog

Custom paint job? Looks great! I've seen a few other custom paint jobs on the minidolls and they look great.

The Doop

WOW. Fantastic prices. GO, PEOPLE! GO!

Went to see if Bug Obliterator might be included since you guys pimped it so hard, but unfortunately it's still full price. But I did stumble upon this little deal at Walmart. Been wanting this set for quite some time now. I did see Hive Crawler on sale as well, but Unexpected Gathering took my money today. Also used the $10 eGift card I had from the Walmart website debacle a while ago. :)

Why is there a drumstick on the roof?

Went to see if Bug Obliterator might be included since you guys pimped it so hard, but unfortunately it's still full price. But I did stumble upon this little deal at Walmart. Been wanting this set for quite some time now. I did see Hive Crawler on sale as well, but Unexpected Gathering took my money today. Also used the $10 eGift card I had from the Walmart website debacle a while ago. :)

Nice find! Enjoy. That set is tip top.

Ryuuroden

Awesome setup. Is that supposed to be Marshal Fields? Thanks for reminding us that you can get more than one of the same modular to expand it. As if just getting one of each modular wasn't expensive enough. Thanks!

Yes, its a tribute to Marshal Fields, obviously it doesn't look like the store did at the Water Tower Place in Chicago but as a kid we would go there every Christmas for holiday shopping and to see the window decorations which were always amazing so I had to tribute it in my city MOC. On the fourth floor of my 5x GE's combo there is even a restaurant just like at the Marshal Fields in Chicago. It's my own style tho, no giant Christmas tree in the middle.

Ponn

Banned

Awesome set, only Hobbit set I would recommend. You will have fun building it and displays really well front or back.

Ugh. Caved in and bought 4 of the Super Secret Police polybags from TRU online.

I was hoping to find it in store and get it for $3.99 with The LEGO Movie 20% sale as some people online found. Limit 4 online, but free shipping with $49 purchase. I topped it off with the Ice Cream Machine set and 2 CMF blind packs for free shipping. Would have gotten several of the smaller sets to top off, but they were all sold out online.

Darn you TRU! *shakes fist* I would have bought 10 of those polybags if I could have gotten them for $4 in store.

http://www.fbtb.net/2014/02/06/toysrus-sells-the-lego-movie-exclusive-polybag-set/

EDIT: This is where I saw some saw the polybag for the 20% off. Perhaps it was on sale online and was corrected. TRU is known to do that.
http://toysnbricks.com/new-2014-polybags-at-toys-r-us-stores/

Yes, its a tribute to Marshal Fields, obviously it doesn't look like the store did at the Water Tower Place in Chicago but as a kid we would go there every Christmas for holiday shopping and to see the window decorations which were always amazing so I had to tribute it in my city MOC. On the fourth floor of my 5x GE's combo there is even a restaurant just like at the Marshal Fields in Chicago. It's my own style tho, no giant Christmas tree in the middle.

Cool. I'm a Chicagoan, but have been out here in LA area for 10+ years.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
It's stilling on a BBQ and the bird is about to pinch it.

I love the little ATM between the two buildings too.

A lot of nice little touches in this. i will pick it up for sure.

The new Chima Ultrabuilds are nice, but I'm mostly only liking them due to some of the new heads as well as the new chest piece that holds Technic/Shooter balls.

Top Bottom