• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not liking this trend of >$100 limited sets. By the time I can afford stuff like that, they're already $800+ on eBay like the Taj Mahal. :(

EDIT: Top of the page needs something more interesting.

I tried to avoid reading articles until I saw the movie. No real spoilers in this one.
I always like seeing early designs of characters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/m...trive-to-blend-familiar-and-strange.html?_r=0

Man, I really REALLY want that
Master Builder's Submarine
to be a real set. Movie wave 3, anyone?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I tried to avoid reading articles until I saw the movie. No real spoilers in this one.
I always like seeing early designs of characters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/m...trive-to-blend-familiar-and-strange.html?_r=0

09LEGOS4-articleLarge.jpg

EDIT:

3,863,484 unique Lego bricks were used in the movie.
15,080,330 Lego bricks to recreate the whole movie.

So if the movie was done with real bricks and not CGI, at the rough cost of $0.10 a brick, that's $1.51 million worth of bricks.

I was trying to find out how many bricks were used in the basement setup. Anyone know?

I wonder if at one point Wyldstyle was going to be voiced by Pauley Perrette, because second from the right on the bottom is just LEGO Abby.

-GJ-

I just stumbled upon the Custom Model Contest thread and even though I haven't used LEGO in years, I'd really love to buy a set or two again and see what I can build with it. Are there any recent affordable sets (max €~30) that you guys recommend? Something with lots of useful pieces that isn't a standard brick box, but something a little more technical with cool tiny pieces or whatever. I don't know, haha. I hope you guys can help me find what I'm looking for :).

edit: I'm probably looking for something in the LEGO Creator series. This eagle I'm looking at looks pretty cool. The OP has some great info, thanks for that! Although I'm not yet sure what set to get. I don't recall seeing most of those sets in my local toy stores.

I just stumbled upon the Custom Model Contest thread and even though I haven't used LEGO in years, I'd really love to buy a set or two again and see what I can build with it. Are there any recent affordable sets (max €~30) that you guys recommend? Something with lots of useful pieces that isn't a standard brick box, but something a little more technical with cool tiny pieces or whatever. I don't know, haha. I hope you guys can help me find what I'm looking for :).

edit: I'm probably looking for something in the LEGO Creator series. This eagle I'm looking at looks pretty cool. The OP has some great info, thanks for that! Although I'm not yet sure what set to get. I don't recall seeing most of those sets in my local toy stores.

Don't do it. It's really cool.

Creator Eagle by Bent Bricks, on Flickr

ghostmind

qfjwf.jpg

My eagle is still assembled, though no longer perched on R2's dome.

Ponn

Banned
Don't buy it. That's a huge knockdown in price. Hopefully Target, Walmart, or TRU continues to do their sales workaround by offering gift cards or free sets with them.

Double points should be coming soon too if you can't wait it out.

If it is a limited run then it wouldn't be available outside of Lego store though would it? Now I'm concerned.

ghostmind

I can't believe Western Emmet goes for that much though he was the most limited. I'm hoping the UK versions of the game goes down in price so I can get him more cheaply.

Radio DJ Robot and Pyjamas Emmet are both starting at $30 each on Bricklink as well.

I've got two Western Emmet's, but I'm going to wait a while until the speculation has died down a bit before I get the other two minifigs.

neonglow

Radio DJ Robot and Pyjamas Emmet are both starting at $30 each on Bricklink as well.

I've got two Western Emmet's, but I'm going to wait a while until the speculation has died down a bit before I get the other two minifigs.

I got Pyjamas Emmet with my purchase at Best Buy and I ended up buying Radio DJ Robot on eBay for $16. I'm waiting until the hype dies down a bit before attempting to get Western Emmet. I wonder if these minifigures will reappear with the release of the DVD/Blu-ray.

Would you be willing to trade your extra Western Emmet for something?

ghostmind

I got Pyjamas Emmet with my purchase at Best Buy and I ended up buying Radio DJ Robot on eBay for $16. I'm waiting until the hype dies down a bit before attempting to get Western Emmet. I wonder if these minifigures will reappear with the release of the DVD/Blu-ray.

Would you be willing to trade your extra Western Emmet for something?

My son has made claim to the other Western Emmet -- the movie has renewed his LEGO interest, but we'll see for how long.

There's an article and interview that goes along with the pic. Interesting insight into how the ad was created too (that's her very own Lego creation she's holding!)

http://www.womenyoushouldknow.net/little-girl-1981-lego-ad-grown-shes-got-something-say/

Not sure which is the original article, but most say the same stuff. It's fair to say she's in her dark ages.

http://mashable.com/2014/02/11/girl-1981-lego-ad-found/
Good reads. Thank you for the links.

What's the 'cool' set to build at the moment?

I missed the train on the Imperial Shuttle, and I really want something fun to sit down and build with my kid. Any suggestions? Challenging sets are welcome.

How is the minifigure that costly already? Good grief!

They are limited ... according to my Regal theater, they only got about 100 or so pieces and were all given out on opening day. (Or so they said). As for Western Emmet he is exclusive to GameStop pre-order in the US, so I am sure they make even less of him. According to the GameStop guy, they didn't get any extra and just enough for pre-order which I assume probably not that many for game like LEGO.

So many ignorance statements and half-truth in that one article. The comments were even more depressing especially you can tell which one haven't buy and build any LEGO recently and just parrot what they think they see on the shelves. I am glad one guy on there with a daughter that he build LEGO post about his experience.

I went to LEGO store with my wife this week and she was pretty amaze with Princess stuff but what really draw her (to may surprise) were the modular. She said those are really nice and she would love to build them with me sometimes.

neonglow

What's the 'cool' set to build at the moment?

I missed the train on the Imperial Shuttle, and I really want something fun to sit down and build with my kid. Any suggestions? Challenging sets are welcome.

The Simpsons house would be great for a family. Lots of rooms and furniture pieces to make.

Another set would be Arkham Asylum. It comes with a ton of Batman's villains.

10937-1.jpg

It's nice seeing tons more people in this thread. The movie has rekindled a bunch of people's love for LEGO.

N.Domixis

Banned

I got pajama emmet, piece of resistance, and the accessory pack with the two cars for 25 dollars from some seller. Lol it was cheap considering pajama emmet reaches into the 20s and the accessory pack around the same.

I went to Walmart after work tonight to look for clearance and the shelves were pretty bare just like Target ... I don't know if I want more people in this hobby. ;p. (the more tone merrier I said). I think LEGO will experience 2nd Golden Age because of the movie.

N.Domixis

Banned
I went to Walmart after work tonight to look for clearance and the shelves were pretty bare just like Target ... I don't know if I want more people in this hobby. ;p. (the more tone merrier I said). I think LEGO will experience 2nd Golden Age because of the movie.
I agree, the last real set I bought was an arctic alpha team car like 6 year ago. Many year later I found out about the minifigure series during series 5. Collected all of series 5. Lost interest, the mr. Gold came out and made me interested again. Collected all of 10, 11, and LM series. Now I'm collecting the LM promofigs because of the movie. I now plan on buying more sets.

Crappy pic but I just finished the Camper Van. So damn good! It has some odd brick choices that make no sense to me but outside of that and the stickers (I only applied a few) I predict it'll be the most underrated set of the year.

So good...

Probably resellers but I hope more people are into the hobby because of the movie.

Haunted House before it goes away. Want something newer? Ewok Village.

Quite like the haunted house. I will certainly consider that. Never was a fan of Ewoks :)

Are there any original trilogy ships out at the moment worth owning?

The Simpsons house would be great for a family. Lots of rooms and furniture pieces to make.

Another set would be Arkham Asylum. It comes with a ton of Batman's villains.

10937-1.jpg

It's nice seeing tons more people in this thread. The movie has rekindled a bunch of people's love for LEGO.

I like the Simpson's house. It's definitely on the list. Not at all into superheroes, so I will probably skip that series entirely.

I'm also considering the French Restaurant modular one. It looks pretty cool.

neonglow

Quite like the haunted house. I will certainly consider that. Never was a fan of Ewoks :)

Are there any original trilogy ships out at the moment worth owning?

I like the Simpson's house. It's definitely on the list. Not at all into superheroes, so I will probably skip that series entirely.

I'm also considering the French Restaurant modular one. It looks pretty cool.

There's the UCS X-wing and SSD.

10240-1.jpg

10221-1.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
I made sure I pointed out it was a rumor in my post (started by Ghostmind :). Granted a lot of rumors here tend to be true thanks to some well informed and very good speculators here.

I tend to concur with Ghostmind that ~$250 among quite a sea of $200+ sets out and coming out this year and the design lends to the idea that is targeted to a smaller than usual audience. My hope is speculators swarm in and raise demand so LEGO produces a more (if indeed they produced a small amount).

I would like to see it stay in production (or at least on sale at shop.lego.com) for a year, after that they can make a call on keeping it longer or not. Because I'm not 100% getting it this month, it's quite expensive after I already bought the Simpsons house and Parisian Restaurant this year and it's not even March. So, I really want to see LEGO do their unveiling video and see if it can convince me.... otherwise I may hold off and buy it in late spring/early summer when I have fewer pre-order items across my various hobbies.

Because it's been a very full Feb for me, not just LEGO but other stuff. And March isn't looking any lighter. April or May might be better timing for me.

However, I can't speak for all LEGO stores but my local store is PACKED, there are sooo many sets lining the walls, you begin to wonder just how many huge sets they even have room to show off.

wetwired

I thought it would be a good idea for the next lego show to some progression of the Ecto-1, starting with a recreation of the Ecto-1 I used to make when I was about 10, then my CUUSOO submission and then the final set next to that.

I knocked up my old ecto-1 tonight, pretty basic and classic 80s car style with some junk on top.

1989 by Brent Waller, on Flickr

The main difference (that I can remember) was that I had little ghostbuster logo badges I cut out from a Ghostbuster colouring book cover I had and I stuck it on the doors.

I thought it would be a good idea for the next lego show to some progression of the Ecto-1, starting with a recreation of the Ecto-1 I used to make when I was about 10, then my CUUSOO submission and then the final set next to that.

I knocked up my old ecto-1 tonight, pretty basic and classic 80s car style with some junk on top.

The main difference (that I can remember) was that I had little ghostbuster logo badges I cut out from a Ghostbuster colouring book cover I had and I stuck it on the doors.

looks like classic lego allright, used to love those bendy pipes, wonder why they are no longer made/used.

Crappy pic but I just finished the Camper Van. So damn good! It has some odd brick choices that make no sense to me but outside of that and the stickers (I only applied a few) I predict it'll be the most underrated set of the year.

So good...
I just got this set last night! I am thinking odd bricks choice is to keep it simple build and modular for beginner builder (I haven't build it yet, may be later today). Too bad for the stickers.

Ponn

Banned

Could submit that to Lego as an idea for a polybag to go along with the main Ecto-1 set.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars

Wow! Your CUUSOO project really has been 25 years in the making - these show how well earned the upcoming set is.

"Clone" brands.

I have a curiosity for minifigs and their accessories of clone brands. Especially if it's a well known IP that LEGO doesn't have (i.e. Smurfs, Mario Bros, etc). Brickset.com just posted there is an update to a document by Anthony Tomkins that reviews many clone brands and compares quality.

Link to document.
http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/miscellaneous/clonebrands_v1.3.pdf

EDIT: Another good article from Brickset.

http://thebrickblogger.com/2014/02/only-sheeps-and-deers-say-legos/

This is the first time I've seen a $$$ number associated with moulds.
"Every LEGO part is molded to 10,000ths of a millimeter and most molds cost over $100,000 (over 7000 elements at four factories and these costs add up fast), that’s why LEGO bricks are not cheap."

This part was interesting too.
"Most LEGO sets are manufactured and packed at one of four locations; Billund in Denmark (about 5 minutes walk from where I’m sitting), The Czech Republic, Hungary, and just over the US border in Mexico. Some parts are made by external partners in China, but these are the hard to mold or print parts that Chinese manufacturing has perfected over the last 40 years."

"Clone" brands.

I have a curiosity for minifigs and their accessories of clone brands. Especially if it's a well known IP that LEGO doesn't have (i.e. Smurfs, Mario Bros, etc). Brickset.com just posted there is an update to a document by Anthony Tomkins that reviews many clone brands and compares quality.

Link to document.
http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/miscellaneous/clonebrands_v1.3.pdf

EDIT: Another good article from Brickset.

http://thebrickblogger.com/2014/02/only-sheeps-and-deers-say-legos/

This is the first time I've seen a $$$ number associated with moulds.
"Every LEGO part is molded to 10,000ths of a millimeter and most molds cost over $100,000 (over 7000 elements at four factories and these costs add up fast), that’s why LEGO bricks are not cheap."

This part was interesting too.
"Most LEGO sets are manufactured and packed at one of four locations; Billund in Denmark (about 5 minutes walk from where I’m sitting), The Czech Republic, Hungary, and just over the US border in Mexico. Some parts are made by external partners in China, but these are the hard to mold or print parts that Chinese manufacturing has perfected over the last 40 years."

That was interesting read, I need to pick up that book. The part that I didn't know is that TT were ex-LEGO computer game division.

Krilekk

Banned
Thanks to whoever recommended 4894 (Creator Dragon with Light) and the Lex Power Armour set. Got them both today, both are AMAZING.

Another interesting bit from the article, he said only 5% of LEGO are adults purchased (for adult I assume). I know adult toys collectors think that we make up large part of the buying but we are always wrong and thus why most sets are gear for kids.

BTW, thanks for posting this BentBricks

Top Bottom