• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Ryuuroden

Switched to building a bunch of small sets as a break from the huge ones I just did. Started with the gold leader y-wing. I had the 2002 version on display for many years and I gotta say this one tops it by far. It has a lot more details and better sized. By default, it should be better than the 2002 set as that was the the first Y-Wing and all but you never know. This one I definitely will never replace unless they do another UCS version which is doubtful. The only major star wars fighter or medium ship I don't have is a millennium falcon. I am waiting for a new ucs version of that which I can totally see happening. I am thinking about the SSD but that will only happen if I get enough overtime this spring to justify spending that much on a single set.

Anyone been to the Lego store in Manhattan? They have a good selection?

My wife went there in August and she said it was smaller than most LEGO stores. The big thing is that they have some cool exclusives if you're lucky.

There is a Statue of Liberty polybag that (I believe) cannot be had elsewhere.
An I (heart) NYC magnet (the text is on a printed 2x4 plate)
They hold trivia contests in the store and hand out special NYC LEGO stickers
They have LEGO NYC playing cards which definitely can't be had elsewhere. Apparently these sell out the second they make it to the shelves.

Another interesting bit from the article, he said only 5% of LEGO are adults purchased (for adult I assume). I know adult toys collectors think that we make up large part of the buying but we are always wrong and thus why most sets are gear for kids.

BTW, thanks for posting this BentBricks

NP. 5% was their best "guess" as it's very difficult to determine. I do agree the majority of sales are for kids, but I think the 5% probably is a bit low nowadays as I think there are more adults coming out of their dark ages now (from here, comments on LEGO sites, Instagram LEGO posters, etc). Also, I think the older TFOLs should be lumped in with adults.

Many probably also think AFOLs make a larger % because of those massive collections AFOL's have and the large MOCs they post online. :)

rallaren

QUESTION: My favorite non-licensed LEGO Space theme of the last few years was Alien Conquest. Shame the theme didn’t get a longer run.

ANSWER: We designed a whole second year, but it was cut… some of the best stuff I ever did…
uGNoGS3.gif

It feels like those sets weren't completely gone. The designer went on to create some of the Chima Eagle and Ninjago sets in the same color scheme.

9442-1.jpg

Jay's jetfighter or whatever it's called was a nice surprise for me. I got it for my kids and it was a fun build and I was swooshing it around. It could do without those gold blade things though. Biggest complaint about that wave of Ninjago was many sets fell apart so easily. Not all of it, just much of the decorative bits or sections. I was surprised they got past review.

EDIT:

Was at my local LEGO store today and saw all the Millenium Falcon micro fighter sets were sold out. They had the same amount of all 6 out yesterday and they still had a few of the other 5 still available.

Also, all "The LEGO Movie" small sets are sold out everywhere I have been the past few days. Granted, they were sold out at TRU with the sale before the movie actually came out. I think the $30 sets are a bit harder of an impulse buy, but those were pretty scarce.

I was really not expecting the movie to be as good as it was. Wow.

My daughter & nephews absolutely loved it. I'm really pleased I stayed in the dark about a lot of it.

Harrison Ford & Anthony Daniels!!!

Oh god I am Lord Business. My sister was staring at me knowingly the entire time during the "reveal"

My daughter & nephews absolutely loved it. I'm really pleased I stayed in the dark about a lot of it.

Oh god I am Lord Business. My sister was staring at me knowingly the entire time during the "reveal"

Haha! I know what you mean. Everyone was thinking of me. I hope this gives my wife some insight that I'm not the only crazy adult obsessed with LEGO and organizing them. My kids didn't really get the ending, but liked it up to that point. I think for more the mature audience the reveal was a big payoff in story and really solidified all the subtext. Bravo writers!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

It wasn't
Harrison Ford

It was Daniels and Billy Dee Williams, but for reasons unknown, Ford didn't do it.

Lego Movie ending perspective:

It definitely made me feel like shit. I'm that adult that gets upset when kids mix worlds when playing with my stuff...the thing is I've ALWAYS been that way. Even as a kid, He-Man wouldn't cross over into Ghostbusters or TMNT into Marvel Heroes. It made me think of how annoyed I get at my GF's kid for having Han Solo and Captain America team up and it made me feel like the jerk I probably am. It seriously tore me up. Having said that, I doubt I'll change but they definitely hit home with this. Maybe I'll soften when I have kids of my own

Haha!. I have to make that bat-hook!

Lego Movie ending perspective:

It definitely made me feel like shit. I'm that adult that gets upset when kids mix worlds when playing with my stuff...the thing is I've ALWAYS been that way. Even as a kid, He-Man wouldn't cross over into Ghostbusters or TMNT into Marvel Heroes. It made me think of how annoyed I get at my GF's kid for having Han Solo and Captain America team up and it made me feel like the jerk I probably am. It seriously tore me up. Having said that, I doubt I'll change but they definitely hit home with this. Maybe I'll soften when I have kids of my own

Sorry to hear that. I'm fairly OCD about my toys too. My kids have their LEGO and I have mine. I do let them play with mine, just as long as they don't mix them with theirs. I don't want my pieces scratched and dinged up.
I'm sure you will be able to figure out a compromise. At least you acknowledge your OCD and knowing is half the battle. :)

mrkgoo

Ugh. I want to avoid the ending spoiler to the Lego movie, but I know I won't be able to resist.

Spoilers don't normally bother me, but would it be much better in this case to not know the ending?

mrkgoo

Jay's jetfighter or whatever it's called was a nice surprise for me. I got it for my kids and it was a fun build and I was swooshing it around. It could do without those gold blade things though. Biggest complaint about that wave of Ninjago was many sets fell apart so easily. Not all of it, just much of the decorative bits or sections. I was surprised they got past review.

EDIT:

Was at my local LEGO store today and saw all the Millenium Falcon micro fighter sets were sold out. They had the same amount of all 6 out yesterday and they still had a few of the other 5 still available.

Also, all "The LEGO Movie" small sets are sold out everywhere I have been the past few days. Granted, they were sold out at TRU with the sale before the movie actually came out. I think the $30 sets are a bit harder of an impulse buy, but those were pretty scarce.
Huh

Here, the millennium falcon is on special. Maybe they overstocked here.

Anyone get the china legends beasts? They look pretty cool to me.

Crappy pictures of Lord Business's Evil Lair!

The boardroom table. Really liked how this bit came together.

Technic in all directions, then regular bricks on top. Very clever design to get swivel chairs.

Bizniss Kitty!

Lord Business. And dat tie cape!

Cool thing is that the platform boots are removable. Now to make a disco Batman.

Sparkly cape! Looks better on the luchador.

LUCHADOR!

Emmett.

Pull the platform at the front...

The back half drops away. Theoretically to drop Emmett.

The Kragle. Without sticker. Very cool and simple construction to pull this part off.

Open the pod bay doors, HAL...

Death Ray!

Grandma and Grandpa security guards. The man's face would be a perfect Commissioner Gordon face. And the clear figure stands are great. I want more!

Overall, a very fun set with great figures and a lot of fantastic parts for MOCs. Of great interest to me is this part:

6054852.jpg

Fixed angles. Could be really, really awesome to use in a building once sufficient stock is built up.

Rescue Reinforcements

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

Don't worry. If he can't grab you, he will just...

Deploy the rocket launchers he is hiding inside.

Fire truck mech. Probably the coolest part to build.

Yup, that is a printed brick. In fact, the ink feels raised.

Dat backside!

The arms are very cool. This one is lined with oxygen tanks and gauges, and the fingers are quite cool.

Now, the weirdest, yet most awesome part of the set...

Is the rooster just amplified through the megaphone, or is it a weapon like a banshee call?

YEE HAW!

Pork powered!

Apple bomb basket ready for deployment.

Open the side shutters, then pull the carrot drawer out...

...to rain death by Vitamin A upon your enemies!

Very cool set, and a great deal for the price. 859 pieces for $70 MSRP. You get lots of mech joints, great minifigures, and an assortment of colors and build techniques. Highly recommended.

I went to wal mart to check on clearances and no good deals but the new 2014 Star Wars and Chima sets were out. I was hoping since I saw micro fighters to pick up an x-wing but they had every model available except the one I wanted :(

I did pick up the Utuepa-Something army building sets because strangely I've been obsessed with only the SW sets that have troopers wearing orange. It's weird cuz the white/orange in Galaxy squad dosnt do it for me in the same way as the troopers.

I'm warming up to the Ghost's design. It is still hideously busy in looks but I like the shape of it and if I could see it built in real life, my opinion could change.

The Phantom looks really uninspired as a design.

I went to wal mart to check on clearances and no good deals but the new 2014 Star Wars and Chima sets were out. I was hoping since I saw micro fighters to pick up an x-wing but they had every model available except the one I wanted :(

I did pick up the Utuepa-Something army building sets because strangely I've been obsessed with only the SW sets that have troopers wearing orange. It's weird cuz the white/orange in Galaxy squad dosnt do it for me in the same way as the troopers.

I pick up that Utaupau trooper set also (the only prequel set I got). I like orange trooper too, actually it was a toss up between that and the green Kasshyyk trooper. I don't want to grab them all because I know many of those will hit sale.

Falcon and Tie Interceptor were sold out at my LEGO store also (I got the last one of each).

@Phon - did you already redeem the code on your Fire Mech ... because that's kinda easy to see.

NP. 5% was their best "guess" as it's very difficult to determine. I do agree the majority of sales are for kids, but I think the 5% probably is a bit low nowadays as I think there are more adults coming out of their dark ages now (from here, comments on LEGO sites, Instagram LEGO posters, etc). Also, I think the older TFOLs should be lumped in with adults.

Many probably also think AFOLs make a larger % because of those massive collections AFOL's have and the large MOCs they post online. :)

I agree that there is no way to know and most of the data probably come from the survey they do at LEGO store because other than that all the sets are bought by adults anyway. That said, even double that (10%), we are still minority in the entire scheme of things.

Swarley

Fiiiinally posting in here. Been going through the LEGO threads for the past few days. A lot of awesome stuff.

Got back into LEGO a couple of months ago. I'm mostly trying to stick to OT Star Wars sets, but of course there are other sets that I just can't pass up, like the AT-RT and then there's some City sets that I must have due to my love of cars.

So far I've picked up the Tie Fighter, X-Wing, A-Wing, AT-RT and the Droid Escape. I also picked up the Race Car set from City. Loved most of the builds, the Droid Escape was not good but let's be honest, I got that for the two Sandtroopers and C-3PO lol. X-Wing has been my favorite build so far (I got a sticker crooked and it makes me sad), but I've been pleasantly surprised with how fun the AT-RT and A-Wing builds were for the price.

Near future purchases I'm looking at are the Millennium Falcon, Death Star Troopers, Kashyyyk Troopers, General Grievous' Wheel Bike and Droid Gunship. Looking into getting a couple older sets off BrickLink like an AT-ST and the Slave I. From City, at some point I'd like to pick up the Grand Prix Truck and the Auto Transporter.

I went through my parents' storage area in their basement a few weeks back and, while I didn't find all of my sets, I did find my Wild West box that includes all of these sets:

Would like to get into another series, quite possibly something from my childhood in the '90s, but I'm not sure what. I'm not too high on some of the Wild West sets I'm missing. I love the Pirates, Castle, Aquazone and Adventurers Egypt. I don't know, but I've got some time to think about it while I get some new Star Wars sets.

Grandma and Grandpa security guards. The man's face would be a perfect Commissioner Gordon face. And the clear figure stands are great. I want more!
I'm wondering about these clear figure stands. I'm hoping that they keep making these for other minifigs, but I have a feeling that their purpose is
to represent the clear globs of Kragle that Lord Business sprays at the feet of Bad Cop's parents. I hope I'm wrong though!

Overall, a very fun set with great figures and a lot of fantastic parts for MOCs. Of great interest to me is this part:

6054852.jpg

Fixed angles. Could be really, really awesome to use in a building once sufficient stock is built up.
Can you actually snap this down on to a base plate? If so, that would be awesome and different versions with different angles would be great too.

@Phon - did you already redeem the code on your Fire Mech ... because that's kinda easy to see.

I had no idea it was a code for the game. I have no plans for getting the game, so anyone can take it. I don't care.

I'm wondering about these clear figure stands. I'm hoping that they keep making these for other minifigs, but I have a feeling that their purpose is
to represent the clear globs of Kragle that Lord Business sprays at the feet of Bad Cop's parents. I hope I'm wrong though!

Can you actually snap this down on to a base plate? If so, that would be awesome and different versions with different angles would be great too.

I am thinking the clear base is that as well.

And as for the A-plate or whatever it is called, it doesn't go on a baseplate because one of the angles will be off. But, attach one side to a 1x4 plate that is next to some tiles, the off angle will rest on top, resulting in some cool walls.

I had no idea it was a code for the game. I have no plans for getting the game, so anyone can take it. I don't care.

I am thinking the clear base is that as well.

And as for the A-plate or whatever it is called, it doesn't go on a baseplate because one of the angles will be off. But, attach one side to a 1x4 plate that is next to some tiles, the off angle will rest on top, resulting in some cool walls.
That A element is also in the Melting Room set.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah I'll be getting both. Like the ship design and the new characters look appealing too

Going to see LEGO again today (as well as Robocop)

Just popped into a N. London Odeon and asked if I could pay for the meal but only take the figures (heavy rain so not really popcorn or cold drink weather), she checked out back in case they could sell the figures on their own, came back and sadly not but no problem if I want to pay but not get the food.

On my way out she said why don't I just take the smarties so I grabbed two packs and thanked her.

£6.50 for two packs of smarties and two free minifigs. Bargain!

Top Bottom