• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Absolutely. I wonder what's the licensing deal for The Simpsons trademark. Any chance they might have several minifig series (or other full sets for that matter) if the sales are good enough ?

It definitely seems feasible, it would be very short sighted if they havn't at least contemplated it.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
If Apu is in I will have to find a way to build a Kwik-E-Mart :)
I personally would love Sideshow Bob to be in.

Yeah, I'd love to build a Kwik-E-Mart for Apu.

Also really want Mr Burns and Smithers to put in compromising positions.

Exotoro

Also really want Mr Burns and Smithers to put in compromising positions.

image.php

Draxal

You're in the US right? If you don't mind doing it for me sure. Hopefully shipping isn't too insane. Paying $12-15 is a lot better than $30, that's for sure.

Thank you!

EDIT: So the next minifigure collection series is the Simpsons, then? I personally have no interest in it but does this mean they could be doing other lines at some point? I've always thought doing a Star Wars CMF line using characters from the EU would be fantastic. Like Mara Jade, Quinlan Vos(non bug eyed Clone Wars version), Bail Organa, Talon Kardde, Revan, Malak, Space Trooper, Republic Commando, the Solo twins, and so on. It would allow Lego to release all of these characters that people have been clamoring for without having to design sets around them.

1. EU is rumored to be pretty much dead as a licensing property, Hasbro supposedly can't release any new EU figs.
2. Lego doesn't have the license to release CMF and will never get it as Hasbro wouldn't give it up.

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't see them packing marge and maggie together. Too much for one pack. Personally, I hope maggie stays a Simpsons House exclusive because I don't know that they can do much extra to her figure to make her desirable for double dipping.

Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Flanders are definitely all making it. and Milhouse, cause that's already been given away.... or that could have been an intentional misleading addition (could appear in a future set, perhaps?)

There are simply too many great characters to contain in one 16 figure set... toooo many!

So... 10 to go! And yeah, it's hard to pick which 10....

Nintendad

Are there any good LEGO focused shows on YouTube?

I don't see them packing marge and maggie together. Too much for one pack. Personally, I hope maggie stays a Simpsons House exclusive because I don't know that they can do much extra to her figure to make her desirable for double dipping.

Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Flanders are definitely all making it. and Milhouse, cause that's already been given away.... or that could have been an intentional misleading addition (could appear in a future set, perhaps?)

There are simply too many great characters to contain in one 16 figure set... toooo many!

So... 10 to go! And yeah, it's hard to pick which 10....

Any word on if they plan on doing more sets in the future

Geez, how long does the LEGO store take to ship out orders?!?! I placed my Sea Cow order at 2AM on Monday and it still hasn't processed and shipped yet!

rallaren

Almost finished with 70704 Vermin Vaporizer and it's a great build. It's probably my last set in the line and I have all colors now.

In the collection:
70704 VV
70705 Bug Obliterator
70707 Mech
70708 Hive
70709 Titan

Can't choose a favorite really... Eradicator Mech struck me as the coolest while building and completed (mech bias). Even without the bugs which are the least interesting of the sets.

I'd love to see plans of a possible third wave if they exist. Would be so awesome.

When will we start seeing the Lego Simpsons Mini Figure Blind bags?

I'm new to minifigure collecting. If I want all of them, I pretty much only have one option, which is 1) find a local retailer that carries them who doesn't sell out immediately and 2) stand there in the store and molest the bags to make an educated guess on what I'm buying?

I'm sorry, but that is incredibly lame, especially coming from this company.

Fowler

It was cool seeing so many of the movie sets in the film, and I am excited for Sea Cow, Construction Mech, and SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP!

About seeing the movie sets in the movie...

Weirdly, it made me want to buy them less. I felt guilty even thinking about buying them and following the instructions instead of buying other sets and creating something new and awesome out of them!

mojiimbo

I'm new to minifigure collecting. If I want all of them, I pretty much only have one option, which is 1) find a local retailer that carries them who doesn't sell out immediately and 2) stand there in the store and molest the bags to make an educated guess on what I'm buying?

You could just buy the specific ones you want off of Bricklink too.

I molest the bags all the time. It's usually annoying only when there are people right next to you that are in the same hall and they won't leave. That's the only time I've gotten weird stares on multiple occasions.

I probably won't get the Simpsons CMF other than for leg, torso, or accessories.

Plenty of places sell them as set. Feeling the bags is half of the fun. Most stores sell them usually have plenty of them. My local Fred Myers still have series 11.

Amazon Warehouse had a single Millennium Falcon (7965) in stock for $103.96. Condition was listed as "Good" noting that it's complete in box but cosmetic damage was made to box.

I bought it. Was this a mistake?

mrkgoo

Eh, I find it fun to feel them up.

The other option is to have Lego make them fully blind in a box so you don't have a choice at all and have to 'trade' to get them all.

BACK IN MY DAY, we had bubble gum cards packed like this.

Anyway, toy stores around here actually pre-feel the bags and number them so you can get exactly what you want.

I figure they probably sell more this way.

The problem with that is that the shorter packed figures can often be harder to find.

I'm back and forth on that set... I like the figures and the price is really good but I don't need all those grey pieces that badly

Yes you do. I see a lot of hard to find dark red pieces. :) Grey is one of the most useful colors. It can be stone or metal. It's a neutral color so you can add to any MOC.

Almost finished with 70704 Vermin Vaporizer and it's a great build. It's probably my last set in the line and I have all colors now.

In the collection:
70704 VV
70705 Bug Obliterator
70707 Mech
70708 Hive
70709 Titan

Can't choose a favorite really... Eradicator Mech struck me as the coolest while building and completed (mech bias). Even without the bugs which are the least interesting of the sets.

I'd love to see plans of a possible third wave if they exist. Would be so awesome.

Galaxy Squad theme is very under-rated. I actually like the brick built bugs.

You could just buy the specific ones you want off of Bricklink too.

Bricklink will be good. eBay prices tend to be much higher. Not all the time, just most.
As an expert bag groper/molester, I think the Simpsons CMFs will be a lot easier to grope for many of the minifigures due to the odd head shapes. You could grope the easy ones then Bricklink the rest. Or grab a bunch and sell or trade the duplicates.

Another option is find someone here or near you that wants them too and buy a box. We should have the distributions about a month before they come out from White Fang on Eurobricks.

About seeing the movie sets in the movie...

Weirdly, it made me want to buy them less. I felt guilty even thinking about buying them and following the instructions instead of buying other sets and creating something new and awesome out of them!

I took the message as it's both. You should build what the instructions tell you, but you should also explore beyond that (don't have to though). I don't think there are any AFOLs (even the best MOC makers) that don't build sets according to instructions once in awhile.

I think feeling up the bags and the thrill of finding the figures you want is a big part of the fun. What I don't like is looking at my watch and realizing that I just spent 30 minutes feeling up bags and I'm only halfway through the display. ha

Draxal

I buy some and then bricklink the rest.

I'm not going to judge anybody, I feel like molesting bags should be for kids only as they usually don't have any other options that us older folk have.

Rootbeer

Banned
Amazon Warehouse had a single Millennium Falcon (7965) in stock for $103.96. Condition was listed as "Good" noting that it's complete in box but cosmetic damage was made to box.

I bought it. Was this a mistake?
I'd say you have a 90-95% chance it is fine. Just check it thoroughly. If anything is missing, you have lots of options.
A. Return it to amazon for full refund
B. Complain to amazon for a partial refund
C. Contact LEGO to get missing pieces if you think the set is salvageable. You may be required to prove you own the set. This usually means you must have the manual. If the manual is also missing, I'd consider option A

Rootbeer

Banned
I also got my Falcon for $103 from Warehousedeals... in May 2012 :) So To get it for that price almost two years later, I'd say you did alright. Sure, maybe paying the $10 more to know for sure it would be complete (errors aside) would be worth it, but it's still a risk-free scenario for you. Worst case you will be out some time.

Today I found some clearance deals at Target, but not a lot. $9.99 for 70401 Gold Getaway (Castle), $18 for 70402 The Gatehouse Raid (Castle), $69 for 75019 AT-TE (SW, obviously). Bought all but the AT-TE. I do need a Mace Windu but otherwise not digging the set at all.

What clearance deals are you all spotting?

Small LEGO store haul: more PAB, a few more mixels for the parts, Chima Legend Beast Lion (somehow overlooked it on my last trip). I was considering the new Hulk set but they were sold out. They had the Goblin set but I think i'll wait on that one.

TRU buy 1 get 1 50% off mini haul: 1x 2014 SW anakin's ship, 1x cap/hydra/red skull. Not a perfect maximization on the discount, but they were sold out of a lot, so...

i will say I am considering diving in to the latest wave of Hero Factory: Invasion From Below. the prices on those look pretty reasonable and they look a little nicer than the past few waves to me. And, being the minifig addict that I am, I like that they come with little figs now -- albeit kinda strange ones.

I also got my Falcon for $103 from Warehousedeals... in May 2012 :) So To get it for that price almost two years later, I'd say you did alright. Sure, maybe paying the $10 more to know for sure it would be complete (errors aside) would be worth it, but it's still a risk-free scenario for you. Worst case you will be out some time.

Today I found some clearance deals at Target, but not a lot. $9.99 for 70401 Gold Getaway (Castle), $18 for 70402 The Gatehouse Raid (Castle), $69 for 75019 AT-TE (SW, obviously). Bought all but the AT-TE. I do need a Mace Windu but otherwise not digging the set at all.

What clearance deals are you all spotting?

Small LEGO store haul: more PAB, a few more mixels for the parts, Chima Legend Beast Lion (somehow overlooked it on my last trip). I was considering the new Hulk set but they were sold out. They had the Goblin set but I think i'll wait on that one.

TRU buy 1 get 1 50% off mini haul: 1x 2014 SW anakin's ship, 1x cap/hydra/red skull. Not a perfect maximization on the discount, but they were sold out of a lot, so...

Oh snap. I need to check if they have the microfighters at MSRP. 25% off new releases is a great deal especially at TRU.

Rootbeer

Banned
Oh snap. I need to check if they have the microfighters at MSRP. 25% off new releases is a great deal especially at TRU.

Yup! The TRU I visited had everything. All microfighters, all legend beasts, mixels, and a good selection of other 2014 stuff including SH and SW. Course, lots was sold out, but I still had plenty to pick from. Everything except the mixels were MSRP. Those were marked up a tiny bit. So be careful what you buy.

Note all reading: you can't use the Buy 1 Get 1 50% deal on "hot price" items, LEGO movie or LEGO disney princess stuff... there may be other exclusions.

also you can only get the 50% discount on 3 items per transaction... but i'm sure most stores would let you do multiple transactions, I asked them and they said I could.

I also saw the movie police polybags... LOTS of them.

Ponn

Banned
After seeing all the close ups of Sea Cow, the piping, cannons and steampunk stuff Im leaning back towards getting it next month. I love Air Ships and im getting all kinds of air shippy vibes from it.

Plus Queasy Kitty.

Star Wars Microfighter Tie Interceptor by antiquegamer, on Flickr

I didn't realize the new pilot has printed legs. I love these Super Deformed LEGO better than those dumb planets. I hope they are popular and LEGO keep the series going. Nitpicking, shouldn't these be Mini or not Micro (I though Micro are those little things that come in like Advent Calendar set.).

Yeah, it's a bit confusing. Here's my understanding.

Micro scale - anything smaller than minifig scale.
Mini scale - another name for micro scale.

Here's where I get even more confused.

Miniland scale - larger than minifig size and the figures are brickbuilt. This is the scale they use at the miniland displays in LEGOLAND.

Midi scale - sets that are between miniature and minifigure scale. (taken from Brickipedia http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Midi-scale)

Hope this confuses you even more. I just stick with Micro-scale, Miniland-scale, and Minifig-scale.

Mini is used too much! Miniland, mini, and minifig.

CrankyJay

Banned
I don't think I have seen anyone in this thread make pieces and considering LEGO is exact down to something like 10'000th's of a millimeter it would be difficult. You do get some after market parts like guns and the like but I don't recall seeing actual parts.

I'd go so far to say that even altering an actual LEGO part is looked down on for the most part. Wetwired changing the hair piece I think is fine but if you were to say change a 1x6 plate into a 1x5 that's too far as an example.

You'd be amazed at what can be done with official bricks, some moccers do things you can look at for hours trying to figure out the parts used.

Unrelated; I went and got a couple of sets today. working on 70809 Lord Business' Lair now and playsets are not my bag but the lure of Lord Business, Biziniz Kitty and Kragle was too great considering I've got £500 worth of vouchers Argos will accept.

Also picked up the Palace Cinema at the LEGO store. Of the available modulars it's now just Town Hall and Parisian Restaurant I need to get. They gave me 3 of the 30280 Piece of Resistance polybag. I'm keeping one, opening the other but the last can be used for a future MOC contest if needed.

Awesome! I'll probably make a mini version or just the front facade.

From what I've seen is most of well known builders (not working for LEGO) use only LEGO parts in their MOCs. It's part of the challenge and the art using a limited palette. I prefer using only LEGO parts (brick quality is much higher than others), but I do use 3rd party minifig accessories.

That's why I asked, because I'm absolutely blown away by what people are creating with real Lego parts.

Awesome stuff.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
So enamoured am I with the Batwing as seen in the LEGO Movie - both its design and scale - I'm replicating it in LDD in order to figure out the build and then actually build it.

I've actually done the wings so far - and obviously because the whole thing is a mirror image you only have to 'do' half to get the lot. The wingspan means the thing is about 50cm across.

You can get a really good view of it using some YouTube footage of the vehicle in the LEGO Movie videogame (it's unlockable and you can actually watch a bunch of parts 'build') and having it just sitting there while on screen with the game running about four levels in.

I guess there might be a quick way to do it if you had the PC game and some file ripping skills, but it's actually fun to copy/see how it's put together, until...

You realise that it's built via cheating!

There are lots of 1x5 bricks in the model, which don't exist!

Obviously easily fixed with combos of 1x1, 1x2, 1x3 and 1x4 for stability - but I found it amusing/annoying given that the whole conceit of the film (and the game) is that it's 'real'. It's possible the game model has been fudged a bit and the movie version is more 'correct', maybe.

Yup! The TRU I visited had everything. All microfighters, all legend beasts, mixels, and a good selection of other 2014 stuff including SH and SW. Course, lots was sold out, but I still had plenty to pick from. Everything except the mixels were MSRP. Those were marked up a tiny bit. So be careful what you buy.

Note all reading: you can't use the Buy 1 Get 1 50% deal on "hot price" items, LEGO movie or LEGO disney princess stuff... there may be other exclusions.

also you can only get the 50% discount on 3 items per transaction... but i'm sure most stores would let you do multiple transactions, I asked them and they said I could.

I also saw the movie police polybags... LOTS of them.

I just want to echo this. I am surprise at Star Wars being MSRP at TRU, I hope this become the norm. Sadly the Super Heroes Sets are not. I pick up more Srar Waes than I should but 25% off on new stuffs is almost as good as year end 30% off and you get to pick from all new set and not left over.

I just watch review on Jangbrick of the AT-AP set and I might just pick one up tomorrow...not sure what other set I want with it though.

I got some bad news. It looks like the higher MSRP of the Simpsons Collectable Minifigure series is the new standard now.

Sadness. Why the 33% hike? They don't like numbers like $0.25 or $0.50? I accepted the huge jump for Simpons CMF because I expect a lot of new moulds for the Simpsons plus Simpsons licensing tax. Welp, that will curb my need for multiples now. In the end, I think LEGO will end up selling less at $4 a pop. At least until the price jump is long forgotten and we get used to it. Maybe by series 14.

neonglow

I just built the LEGO Creator Fast Car polybag I got from Target. It's a nice model that looks like one of those Chibi style Penny Racers cars. The good news is it's only $3.29 for 56 pieces.

ghostmind

With LEGO reducing the amount of available photo time at Toy Fair, most outlets decided to focus on licensed and new themes, and skip on others.

As such, here's a Friends gallery of varying quality:

kBmN6ss.jpg

R42WOHB.jpg

a3XQ6b6.jpg

mYUGZ5C.jpg

ohN3Oe5.jpg

PHUhdYu.jpg

0y3ikSu.jpg

OH6Fk3P.jpg

I think my fascination with Friends theme is starting to wear out. Thank goodness. I really needed to narrow my purchases.

I will continue to get a set here and there, but nothing in this wave is striking me like the Dolphin Cruiser. I'll probably get a bunch of the nice $10-$15 sets like the lemonade one.

ghostmind

Can anyone tell me why Batman was in the movie and game, but couldn't be in the playsets when Lego is always doing Batman sets?

He's included with the Dropship, which is coming out this summer.

Otherwise, i would think DC would not to sacrifice sales on their Batman sets.

When will the evil, sexist LEGO corporation stop with these horrible female stereotypes and learn that not all women fly helicopters!

I wasn't going to start this again, but since you did...

Why aren't there more guy minidolls in Friends sets? They need them so they can have more crime in Heartlake City. Also, what's with the skin color in Friends sets. What message is LEGO trying to tell girls? Friends is a sexist and racist theme? Now that the young girls are in the wilderness unsupervised, I'm sure that's a negative message too. *sarcasm* They are teenagers right?

The Next LEGO Movie.
Lady Business has evil plans to turn all LEGO into pastel colored bricks!

I got some bad news. It looks like the higher MSRP of the Simpsons Collectable Minifigure series is the new standard now.

Thats the region of cash I will seriously reconsider bying CMF.
2.50 was more or less the sweet spot, any more than that I just feel ripped off.
I mean you can buy sets for 4-5... o_O :(

Top Bottom