• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Zerojul

I dunno if any of you guys will be interested in buildings this but I've had a lot of emails from people wanting instructions for the firehouse, I can't really make instructions but I've been building it in LDD instead for people, it still needs some work but the visuals are mostly recreated.

GhostbustersHQ.jpg

I also split out each floor so it can be removed like a modular, something I didn't really do with my first one (it only seperates after the first floor.)
Thanks for doing this. I was really hoping they would go all the way and make the full set...

Hot Wheels are just as sexy as LEGO.

I have ten different 1:64 scale Batmobiles.

edit: Just noticed the official LEGO Ecto has studs on the sides of the tailfins. Not a fan. Yours is better, wetwired!

Nothing good on clearance at Target. At least not discounted enough to care about.
Wal Mart had Aviation Adventures for $40. Almost snagged it, but instead bought some more SortMaster bins because I need those a bit more.

Rootbeer

Banned
haven't seen anything on clearance at target since last week. but i'm sure most stores will be making room for the march stuff soon.

one of my Target stores is nearly cleared out of LEGO... well, except for City and Creator. Everything else is nearly sold. Thanks, LEGO movie! No clearance for me! :p

haven't seen anything on clearance at target since last week. but i'm sure most stores will be making room for the march stuff soon.

one of my Target stores is nearly cleared out of LEGO... well, except for City and Creator. Everything else is nearly sold. Thanks, LEGO movie! No clearance for me! :p

Target here had the AT-TE and Rancor Pit for 30% off. There was a spot on the shelf that said King's Castle was clearance, but it was all gone so I have no idea on the price.

There was this one guy awkwardly fondling the bags for the Movie CMFs though. He kept looking at me like I was bothering him as I looked at the regular sets. Really creeped me out.

Exotoro

Target here had the AT-TE and Rancor Pit for 30% off. There was a spot on the shelf that said King's Castle was clearance, but it was all gone so I have no idea on the price.

There was this one guy awkwardly fondling the bags for the Movie CMFs though. He kept looking at me like I was bothering him as I looked at the regular sets. Really creeped me out.

he wasn't checking for figures

CrankyJay

Banned
so...i've been admiring this thread from afar...just curious...

how do you guys make some of these pieces for your MOCs?

is there a subset of the lego community that ONLY likes to use genuine lego pieces or do you see the lego community embrace 3d printing?

does anyone here actually have custom pieces made on a 3d printer now?

Rootbeer

Banned
I only have genuine LEGO pieces. I'm not familiar with the quality of 3d LEGOlike pieces or that they even existed, but I'm sure they must. Thing is with LEGO, the 'clutch' of the bricks is very important and the bricks have to be very precise and made of the right materials for it to be adequate. I'm not sure that 3D printed pieces are up to these standards. If so, awesome.

CrankyJay

Banned
I only have genuine LEGO pieces. I'm not familiar with the quality of 3d LEGOlike pieces or that they even existed, but I'm sure they must. Thing is with LEGO, the 'clutch' of the bricks is very important and the bricks have to be very precise and made of the right materials for it to be adequate. I'm not sure that 3D printed pieces are up to these standards. If so, awesome.

Thanks for the reply, that's what I figured. I don't think 3D printing is there just yet. I was just curious how you guys create stuff (for example the Ecto-1)...were all those genuine lego parts (except for the figures)? How was the hair, etc made?

0tuxZkQl.jpg

I build this during my lunch break. This set is really a troop building set and is just for selling the figure. The missile robot is a pretty boring but the new figures are beautiful and I love the new stud launcher gun. I always like the 212 Battalion and the Airborne Trooper but I can't help,but feel LEGO is little late on this Clone fad.

I got it too and have to agree on all those points. I don't follow Star Wars much now but the figures and guns are superb

When do the Chima small sets with the new ball joints hit regular retail? March?

is there a subset of the lego community that ONLY likes to use genuine lego pieces or do you see the lego community embrace 3d printing?

Only genuine parts here. The only time I ever dabbled in anything custom was when I printed up tiny movie posters to put in frames for a theater I built. Otherwise I just use what I have. That is part of the challenge and fun.

But there are people that use and make custom parts. Some to very awesome effect.

Rootbeer

Banned
I got it too and have to agree on all those points. I don't follow Star Wars much now but the figures and guns are superb

When do the Chima small sets with the new ball joints hit regular retail? March?

You can get them on toysrus.com now and some retail TRU stores probably have them, I say this because a few of my local stores are showing 'in stock' for some of the other march 2014 sets (like SW and Super heroes), but not all the sets have the "find in store" option yet. TRU website is kinda iffy that way.

also amazon.com has SOME of the march 2014 sets for pre-order (for example, here is the Eagle Legend Beast, but the others don't have a Sold By Amazon option yet), shipping March 1st on those. Sadly, as is the new trend with amazon, they have chosen to markup the sets from 9.99 to 11.99. there's a similar percent markup for many other sets, particularly small sets. I'm sure it's a shipping thing.

Don't overlook Mixels if you are interested in the new joints. Those should be popping up at TRU soon too.

Finally, you can get most of this stuff already from shop.lego.com and free shipping... so why wait? Granted, the shipping from them is a bit slow... expect to wait a minimum of 7 days, more like 10 if you order near the end of the week.

On another note, nothing to do tomorrow so hitting up the LEGO store after work. who knows what I'll bring home. It's a mystery. (No Sea Cow though, saving that...)

You can get them on toysrus.com now and some retail TRU stores probably have them, I say this because a few of my local stores are showing 'in stock' for some of the other march 2014 sets (like SW and Super heroes), but not all the sets have the "find in store" option yet. TRU website is kinda iffy that way.

also amazon.com has SOME of the march 2014 sets for pre-order (for example, here is the Eagle Legend Beast, but the others don't have a Sold By Amazon option yet), shipping March 1st on those. Sadly, as is the new trend with amazon, they have chosen to markup the sets from 9.99 to 11.99. there's a similar percent markup for many other sets, particularly small sets. I'm sure it's a shipping thing.

Don't overlook Mixels if you are interested in the new joints. Those should be popping up at TRU soon too.

Finally, you can get most of this stuff already from shop.lego.com and free shipping... so why wait? Granted, the shipping from them is a bit slow... expect to wait a minimum of 7 days, more like 10 if you order near the end of the week.

On another note, nothing to do tomorrow so hitting up the LEGO store after work. who knows what I'll bring home. It's a mystery. (No Sea Cow though, saving that...)

Sweet huge thanks.

I plan on getting all the mixels but the Chima sets I want more due to parts and that many of the last few Chima mini figures I want come in these sets.

I don't think I have seen anyone in this thread make pieces and considering LEGO is exact down to something like 10'000th's of a millimeter it would be difficult. You do get some after market parts like guns and the like but I don't recall seeing actual parts.

I'd go so far to say that even altering an actual LEGO part is looked down on for the most part. Wetwired changing the hair piece I think is fine but if you were to say change a 1x6 plate into a 1x5 that's too far as an example.

You'd be amazed at what can be done with official bricks, some moccers do things you can look at for hours trying to figure out the parts used.

Unrelated; I went and got a couple of sets today. working on 70809 Lord Business' Lair now and playsets are not my bag but the lure of Lord Business, Biziniz Kitty and Kragle was too great considering I've got £500 worth of vouchers Argos will accept.

Also picked up the Palace Cinema at the LEGO store. Of the available modulars it's now just Town Hall and Parisian Restaurant I need to get. They gave me 3 of the 30280 Piece of Resistance polybag. I'm keeping one, opening the other but the last can be used for a future MOC contest if needed.

I dunno if any of you guys will be interested in buildings this but I've had a lot of emails from people wanting instructions for the firehouse, I can't really make instructions but I've been building it in LDD instead for people, it still needs some work but the visuals are mostly recreated.

GhostbustersHQ.jpg

I also split out each floor so it can be removed like a modular, something I didn't really do with my first one (it only seperates after the first floor.)

Awesome! I'll probably make a mini version or just the front facade.

From what I've seen is most of well known builders (not working for LEGO) use only LEGO parts in their MOCs. It's part of the challenge and the art using a limited palette. I prefer using only LEGO parts (brick quality is much higher than others), but I do use 3rd party minifig accessories.

wetwired

hey ww, what is that? Something new Hot Wheels has done?

Not really new, Hot Wheels 1:18 Ecto-1, there is a newer one out in the "elite" series that is even more detailed but it's about 4 times the price.

Hot Wheels are just as sexy as LEGO.

I have ten different 1:64 scale Batmobiles.

edit: Just noticed the official LEGO Ecto has studs on the sides of the tailfins. Not a fan. Yours is better, wetwired!

I originally tried it like that with studs/wedged plates but I didn't like it, it's thinner so more accurate but I opted for the smoothness.

I've tried 3D printing before but I wasn't happy with the results, the pieces weren't smooth enough for my liking, this was before LEGO released their Bane minifig...

Bane Vests by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Bane Vest Painted by Brent Waller, on Flickr

If more accurate options come out I'd love to try, I've been thinking about doing a custom slimer minifig but unless they can print more accurate I won't bother

If more accurate options come out I'd love to try, I've been thinking about doing a custom slimer minifig but unless they can print more accurate I won't bother

What printer were you using?

I've spent a year working with 3D printers, and though I don't have the best knowledge of how they work and the ins and outs, I do have the experience of working with a number of options.

wetwired

What printer were you using?

I've spent a year working with 3D printers, and though I don't have the best knowledge of how they work and the ins and outs, I do have the experience of working with a number of options.

This was just via shapeways, which is the only real option available to me, if you have suggestions I'd love to hear them as I think there's still potential in the idea, it just wasn't worth it via shapeways

This was just via shapeways, which is the only real option available to me, if you have suggestions I'd love to hear them as I think there's still potential in the idea, it just wasn't worth it via shapeways

Based on what I've seen, though it may be out of your budget currently (and I'd recommend to try it before buying) but the makerbot has a pretty damn good amount of detail and the price is nice for materials as opposed to other machines on the market.

I'd check them out as well as other manufacturers and request samples directly from them (most do it for free)

http://store.makerbot.com/replicator

The replicator is nice and be the one I'd get if I had my own 3D printer. If you look at the 2X model as well it allows you to print two different materials into one build (blow in the dark + black all in one build would be nice)

Office stores that offer paper printing sometimes offer services using these machines.

I can go further into detail but this is what I'd look at to dive into it.

EDIT:
http://store.makerbot.com/replicator-mini

the mini replicator might be good but I don't know the specs or quality of it but it is cheaper and if it's for Lego parts you would never need a huge amount of build area.

Ryuuroden

Post Build Review of the Sea Cow.

You know how Death Star is "Best" Star well I can't think of a name yet for Sea Cow but it's the best official LEGO ship I have ever built or seen. It is a veritable treasure trove of ship building methods, it takes so many departures from past ships yet has so many classic ship designs within it. The ship is armed to the teeth with a massive amount of artillery and all of it is placed well. Really its a dream fighting ship and its a dream display ship. There are just so many details that you find that really it would take a hundred pictures just to show all the interesting parts. My favorite LEGO ship until now was the imperial flagship but this ship makes it look boring. I mean I don't want to overhype the damn thing but its just soo awesome. So much attention was paid to details when it comes to the steam pipes and valves etc. All the propellers and props are well placed and don't feel wrong at all.

I will admit right here that I am a fan of steampunk style so I may be a little biased in favor of the ship but I really think its a ship that all ship fans will enjoy. At the same time as its fanciful it also feels like it could really be a ship which is what you want to achieve with a steampunk theme. It must be realistic at the same time as its fanciful.

There are lots of either rarely used pieces or new pieces in it cause there are multiple parts in there I have never seen before and I have a LOT of LEGO sets as you all know.

My absolute favorite use of LEGO pieces is the sails. They work fantastically in this set. I never would of guessed how well they would work on a ship until actually seeing it in person. They really feel like sails and I like them better than the fabric sails that have been used on other ships now. Never thought that would happen but in this case it does. Now, do I think they would work on every ship LEGO does, probably not, but in this case they are the perfect solution to an entirely brick built ship.

The only downside the set has is that once again LEGO uses stickers for bricks. With the amount it costs, I really wish they had used printed iron plate windows at the very least. That is something that could of been used in many other modulars and sets in the future so It's not like it would be wasted on a small printing run or something. Some of the other stickers I understand. I just wasn't happy with the size of the stickers for the windows as they were much smaller than the frame so when you look close, the iron looks like its floating.

Anyways tl;dr version: Move aside "Best" Star, meet "Best" Ship.

I have to get ahold of a camera, when I do I'll post a bunch of pictures. The ship, when you include the spars and stuff ends up being the same length as Imperial Flagship and exactly the same height as well.

So I'm thinking about ordering one of the minifigure-sized Hulks on Bricklink and most are in the $35+ price range.

But there is one guy who has no feedback yet who has seven Hulks at $30. So it's $5-10 cheaper than the rest, but he has no feedback so I am a bit hesitant.

Thoughts?

Buy the $5 Hulk keychain instead, use a soldering iron to take out the screw and replace the hairpiece.

Does the screw just go through the hair into the head? Or through the entire body?

I've never even thought of/looked at the keychains to be honest.

Search YouTube and they have video tutorials. It's super easy with the Hulk minifig. The metal rod goes through the head and into the stud that holds the head.

What nice about the Hulk minifig is it's really easy to replace the hair piece. This means you don't have to be too careful if you accidentally melt part of the hair. Other minifig keychains the headgear is pricey to get.

I'll do it for you if you don't have a soldering iron handy. I can pick one up next time I'm at the LEGO store (first Monday in March to Martian Manhunter). You just pay for minifig, tax, and shipping. Shoot me an private message...only thing is I won't guarantee a quick turnaround. :)

P.S. The print on the Hulk keychain torso is a different color and the legs are fused with the legs so you can't switch them around. I have an army of 4 right now (1 polybag + 3 keychain Hulks liberated from the oppressive keychain).

Ryuuroden

Seriously. The sheer maniacal glee during that sequence was infectious.

I am near positive if my family had recorded my entire young childhood there would of been video evidence of me running around with 80's lego spaceship set yelling, spaceship, Space Ship, SPAAAAAAACESHIPPPPPPP. I see a little Benny in myself.

It was cool seeing so many of the movie sets in the film, and I am excited for Sea Cow, Construction Mech, and SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP!

But there is a part of me that is disappointed that the sets we are getting for the Sea Cow and Construction Mech are very scaled down compared to the movie. I know that a full on, proper Sea Cow would be like $1000, but it looked so awesome.

Did your wife not want to see it? :( I gotta find myself a woman who loves LEGO as much as I do. Only then will i consider marriage.

My wife has zero interest in LEGO, yeah.

She tolerates the modulars in our den, likes that the kids play with it, and hates that our basement office/gym is covered in the stuff.

kapowza

May 2014 apparently

http://aboutus.lego.com/en-gb/news-room/2014/january/lego-the-simpsons

16 figures so who will we get I wonder? I'd be surprised if any of these were missing:

Homer with Donut or Duff Beer
Bart with slingshot
Lisa with saxaphone
Marge with maggie
Abe
Flanders with a bible? (lolz)
Millhouse has already been seen
Apu
Chief Wiggam
Mr Burns
Smithers
Moe
Carl
Lenny
Barney
Krusty with Mr Teeny

and I'm already up to 16, Maybe a set with the cat and dog together? I'd hope for a Nelson, Bumblebee Man would look cool, Skinner or Mrs Krabapple. They should do a Sherri or a Terri just to get people to buy doubles. I want a Jasper

Zerojul

My wife has zero interest in LEGO, yeah.

She tolerates the modulars in our den, likes that the kids play with it, and hates that our basement office/gym is covered in the stuff.

I feel lucky that my GF really likes LEGO. We're currently building the Tower Bridge together and having a blast. It's an ideal set for a couple with two identical towers to build by the way :)

wetwired

May 2014 apparently

http://aboutus.lego.com/en-gb/news-room/2014/january/lego-the-simpsons

16 figures so who will we get I wonder? I'd be surprised if any of these were missing:

Homer with Donut or Duff Beer
Bart with slingshot
Lisa with saxaphone
Marge with maggie
Abe
Flanders with a bible? (lolz)
Millhouse has already been seen
Apu
Chief Wiggam
Mr Burns
Smithers
Moe
Carl
Lenny
Barney
Krusty with Mr Teeny

and I'm already up to 16, Maybe a set with the cat and dog together? I'd hope for a Nelson, Bumblebee Man would look cool, Skinner or Mrs Krabapple. They should do a Sherri or a Terri just to get people to buy doubles. I want a Jasper

I can't see them doing duff beer, as much as I'd love to see it.

Itchy and Scratchy would be cool but I doubt we'll see it, moulds would be too unique.

Apu would be cool, I think Carl and Lenny might be low tier.

I'll be disappointed it they only have a few characters with multiple outfits to make up the 16

Search YouTube and they have video tutorials. It's super easy with the Hulk minifig. The metal rod goes through the head and into the stud that holds the head.

What nice about the Hulk minifig is it's really easy to replace the hair piece. This means you don't have to be too careful if you accidentally melt part of the hair. Other minifig keychains the headgear is pricey to get.

I'll do it for you if you don't have a soldering iron handy. I can pick one up next time I'm at the LEGO store (first Monday in March to Martian Manhunter). You just pay for minifig, tax, and shipping. Shoot me an private message...only thing is I won't guarantee a quick turnaround. :)

P.S. The print on the Hulk keychain torso is a different color and the legs are fused with the legs so you can't switch them around. I have an army of 4 right now (1 polybag + 3 keychain Hulks liberated from the oppressive keychain).

You're in the US right? If you don't mind doing it for me sure. Hopefully shipping isn't too insane. Paying $12-15 is a lot better than $30, that's for sure.

Thank you!

EDIT: So the next minifigure collection series is the Simpsons, then? I personally have no interest in it but does this mean they could be doing other lines at some point? I've always thought doing a Star Wars CMF line using characters from the EU would be fantastic. Like Mara Jade, Quinlan Vos(non bug eyed Clone Wars version), Bail Organa, Talon Kardde, Revan, Malak, Space Trooper, Republic Commando, the Solo twins, and so on. It would allow Lego to release all of these characters that people have been clamoring for without having to design sets around them.

Zerojul

so many awesome charaters, they can potentially only loose selecting just 16.

Absolutely. I wonder what's the licensing deal for The Simpsons trademark. Any chance they might have several minifig series (or other full sets for that matter) if the sales are good enough ?

Top Bottom