• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Stuff just taken down this week: Tower Bridge, Arkham Asylum, Stagecoach Escape, Vampyre Castle, Ghost Train, LOTR Pirate Ship Ambush, Lord Business Evil Lair, Rescue Reinforcements, Shelob Attacks, MetalBeard's Duel.

Stuff still up:
Bookstore MOC
Winter Village Cottage
Haunted House
B-Wing UCS
Imperial Shuttle UCS
Red Five X-Wing
R2-D2 UCS
Super Star Destroyer UCS
Death Star
Ewok Village
Horizon Express
Maersk Train
Mini Modulars
Back to the Future DeLorean
Tower of Orthanc
Fire Brigade
Grand Emporium
Pet Shop
Town Hall
Palace Cinema
Parisian Restaurant
VW Camper Van

Bookstore MOC gets put back into the collective. The rest get taken down individually and bagged so they can be rebuilt wherever we wind up moving to.

Wow, more than I imagined.

My list of on display sets;

UCS X-wing 2013
UCS X-wing 1999
UCS R2 D2
UCS Imperial Shuttle
UCS B-wing
Grand Emporium
Pet Shop
Fire Brigade
Volkswagon Camper Van
Big Ben
LEGO City Truck
Team GB CMF Set
Mini VW Camper Van
Shinkai 6500 Sub
Hayabusa
All 3 Minecraft sets
Delorean Time Machine
NASA Mars Rover
Valentine's Day Box
Valentine's Day Heart Box
Halloween Pumpkin
Particl Ioniser 6923
Viper from Earth Defense HQ
Cop car from Bad Cop's Pursuit
Lord Business Lair
Trash Chimper
MetalBeard's Dual
Super Cycle Chase

More than I realised then there are about 5 midi SW ships dotted around, a Mario ? cube, Metal Slug RD Technic tank, Patlabor style mech and chibi X-wing Death Star diorama too.

About the only sets that are due to come down are Lego Movie sets with exception of Metal Beard and Super Cycle.

I really love the Enforcer from TRU The LEGO Movie polybag. The back of the hover scooter thing is pretty cool and I love the smoke trans pieces.

vdb9L2el.jpg

Is there a thread for trading MiniFigs? Is.. it this thread? I've traded with someone on GAF before but it was a loooooong time ago so I don't remember if there'd a dedicated thread for it and a search didn't help.

HA!

I literally added the limo to our giant "time to disassemble" pile today. It's awful....way too much cabin space.

I'm surprised you disassembled Shelob.

I am moving in a few months. All Monster Fighters stuff is down now except for Haunted House. That will be boxed separately. For my Halloween diorama this year I am thinking of putting Haunted House in it and then making some grand, spooky castle to go along with it.

And it was tough taking apart Shelob. She has been together since the day I bought her. Such a wonderful set, but I can always put her together again later. :)

Posted my CMF stuff in the marketplace thread. I don't have a whole bunch of wants but have a few that I can give away. I have others but I only posted the ones I have multiples of.

Soo if I spend 75 bucks on the online lego store next month I get Martian Manhunter. I was planning to get the Joker Steam Roller and Riddler drag car sets anyways

Good man. I did that with my kids today. We dismantled a ton of the smaller Friends sets that were literally sitting in piles on the shelves.

The more I disassemble the more I realize I need a storage solution, or to get out of the habit entirely. I de-cluttered a few months ago and put all my SW figs in a shoebox. I caught myself ogling some of the new SW figs and realized I may just be buying them to stick in a box.

First world dilemmas.

I dissembled the two Galaxy Squad sets I have and I realize I need to pick up some more white and orange parts. I'm really happy with my build so far since I'm trying to make a mech and have the torso mostly done but need to grab a few pieces to help it get finished. From there I'll get arms. I'll post pics once it's done.

SE Florida.

TRU prices are bumped for Mixels, paid 5.49 each. The Hero Factory one was 9.99 at TRU. The Chima beasts were 9.99 at Walmart and Target.

I didn't see any Mixels anywhere else, though.

Cool thanks. My area Target seems to get sets later, but I think I'll swing by target tomorrow and grab a few Chima sets since I want the minifigures and new joints. I'll wait on the Mixels once they are more available.

Ponn

Banned
Soo if I spend 75 bucks on the online lego store next month I get Martian Manhunter. I was planning to get the Joker Steam Roller and Riddler drag car sets anyways

Correct. Ive been going back and forth between getting all the 2014 Superhero sets or Sea Cow but theres a couple games coming out i need to get so i think im going to stick with the superhero sets. Im going to wait till that Spidey Helicopter is clearanced sale because I only want it for MJ and Powerman. Getting Manbat Attack, Captain America vs. H.I.S.S. Tank, Joker Steamroller and Riddler Chase. Debating holding out on sale for that new Hulk set or not. Lots of good figs but meh set, that Modok and Taskmaster though.

The last couple pages has convinced me to get some Mixels in my order though.

Correct. Ive been going back and forth between getting all the 2014 Superhero sets or Sea Cow but theres a couple games coming out i need to get so i think im going to stick with the superhero sets. Im going to wait till that Spidey Helicopter is clearanced sale because I only want it for MJ and Powerman. Getting Manbat Attack, Captain America vs. H.I.S.S. Tank, Joker Steamroller and Riddler Chase. Debating holding out on sale for that new Hulk set or not. Lots of good figs but meh set, that Modok and Taskmaster though.

The last couple pages has convinced me to get some Mixels in my order though.

I'm new to collecting Legos, how often do things go on sale or clearance?

neonglow

Sales are pretty often. Toys R Us just had a buy 1 get 1 50% off. Amazon will usually discount stuff between 20-30% a couple months later.

Clearances happen a couple times a year. It's usually at the end of each fiscal quarter.

LEGO has monthly promos like next month's Martian Manhunter.

I just built all the red Mixels. Flain, the middle one, is my favorite.
12740796484_1533e0cdc8.jpg

frogg609

After taking a while to get around to building it, and then having to wait over a month for a missing part on backorder, set 41999 is finally complete.

2014-02-24%2001.00.37.jpg

2014-02-24%2001.00.55.jpg

2014-02-24%2001.02.29.jpg

2014-02-24%2001.01.29.jpg

Definitely one of the more complicated builds I've done. Had to redo the front end when I realized I had the wrong piece in. That sucked.

I feel really lucky my wife snagged me one of these when they were available. It's a lot of fun, and it's cool to crawl over books and things in my son's room with it.

Ponn

Banned

Usually before sets retire they are clearanced price like the Galaxy Squad sets recently. I usually just watch Amazon like a hawk. Warehouse deals can be good and they are good at pricematching everyone elses sale. Also save up for holidays, big time sales all over.

I will buy all the GoTG sets but for a 400+ piece set that looks really week. Its like a guard tower and thas it. I know the superhero sets are usually weak except the figs but this wave really seems so. I have some hopes for the Milano set and i dont think weve seen the third one yet.

After taking a while to get around to building it, and then having to wait over a month for a missing part on backorder, set 41999 is finally complete.

2014-02-24%2001.00.37.jpg

Definitely one of the more complicated builds I've done. Had to redo the front end when I realized I had the wrong piece in. That sucked.

I feel really lucky my wife snagged me one of these when they were available. It's a lot of fun, and it's cool to crawl over books and things in my son's room with it.

Needs video. :)

Large LEGO Technic sets always impress me, especially those with motors. I am staying away from Technics. That would suck up so much of my time and money.

For now, I just have to be happy with a granddaddy of Technic theme. NOTE: I'm old, but not a granddad. Classic space and this Technic set were my childhood LEGO experience.

956-1.jpg

Lots of posts recently about getting Haunted House set before it disappears (Get it if you can!)

I came across this small haunted house and thought it had a lot of character and details for a small vignette/MOC.

Haunted House by Hen Peril, on Flickr

neonglow

I will buy all the GoTG sets but for a 400+ piece set that looks really week. Its like a guard tower and thas it. I know the superhero sets are usually weak except the figs but this wave really seems so. I have some hopes for the Milano set and i dont think weve seen the third one yet.

You'll probably be disappointed with the 3rd set. It's just 2 small spaceships in a $20 set. While that price range produces the best sets, I'm not sure 196 pieces for 2 ships will amount to much.

Starblaster Showdown – Includes 2 small ships and 3 minifigures: Star Lord, Searcher, and Nova Officer.

wetwired

As a bit of a challenge to myself, I thought I'd see if I could get one of my other CUUSOO projects over the line, one that wasn't attached to an existing TV show or movie, one of my original creations. So I thought I'd see if I made a video to promote it like I did with the Tumbler and Ghostbusters if it could help.

So here's my video for ALA-N Space Exploring Robot on LEGO CUUSOO

kapowza

took my sister's kids to the movie on saturday, we all loved it, spent the rest of the weekend singing the song and inquiring as to the location of our pants.

Got a couple of the sets at TRU yesterday, Sophie chose the ice cream van set which looks pretty cool and Brody opted for Cloud Cookoo Land despite my suggestion of the Bad Cop set (I want those police crocodiles). We also got a couple of minifigs, construction worker Emmett with hilarious instruction sheet and a robot cowboy with dynamite. This is my first foray into the collectible figs. Could get very expensive very fast.

For UK peoples, apparently B&M have some of the galaxy squad sets for cheap (they usually just stock megablock Halo and Call of duty sets). Will have to check it out on the way home from work.

Sales are pretty often. Toys R Us just had a buy 1 get 1 50% off. Amazon will usually discount stuff between 20-30% a couple months later.

Clearances happen a couple times a year. It's usually at the end of each fiscal quarter.

LEGO has monthly promos like next month's Martian Manhunter.

I just built all the red Mixels. Flain, the middle one, is my favorite.
12740796484_1533e0cdc8.jpg

Usually before sets retire they are clearanced price like the Galaxy Squad sets recently. I usually just watch Amazon like a hawk. Warehouse deals can be good and they are good at pricematching everyone elses sale. Also save up for holidays, big time sales all over.

thanks for the replies, I actually went to Toys R during the weekend because of the sale. Everything I wanted was literally marked up 10-15 bucks from what I would pay on amazon, I couldn't believe that shit

Rootbeer

Banned
As a bit of a challenge to myself, I thought I'd see if I could get one of my other CUUSOO projects over the line, one that wasn't attached to an existing TV show or movie, one of my original creations. So I thought I'd see if I made a video to promote it like I did with the Tumbler and Ghostbusters if it could help.

So here's my video for ALA-N Space Exploring Robot on LEGO CUUSOO

Voted! Anything space instantly has my attention. Mechs too.

*edit*

Bout to go do some more clearance hunting. March 1st sets are fast approaching. Target and other stores clearing space. I found a few on Thurs (which I posted about), but didn't have anymore time over the weekend to go looking. I hope I can get another set or two today.

You guys had much clearance luck the past week or so?

Fowler

Lots of posts recently about getting Haunted House set before it disappears (Get it if you can!)

I came across this small haunted house and thought it had a lot of character and details for a small vignette/MOC.

Haunted House by Hen Peril, on Flickr

That's really cool. I'm totally getting an Up vibe from it too, with a few modifications it could be that scene from the beginning where Carl meets Ellie...

LOTRLEGOGAF:

Should I buy The Wizard Battle with Tower of Orthanc?

Is it possible to fit the wizard battle stuff inside the tower? Or does the tower pretty much already include everything in the wizard battle set?

nice but... i've never even seen those flat triangular pieces on the kite before?

the top ones are normal cheese slopes the bottom ones will be grille slopes... Or do you mean something else?

You are right, Flix. It looks like these, but the photo is from a convenient angle to obscure the grills.
4541191.jpg

LOTRLEGOGAF:

Should I buy The Wizard Battle with Tower of Orthanc?

Is it possible to fit the wizard battle stuff inside the tower? Or does the tower pretty much already include everything in the wizard battle set?
It has everything, but the palantir piece is unique in Wizard Battle if I remember right. But in Orthanc it uses a light brick to glow.

Voted! Anything space instantly has my attention. Mechs too.

*edit*

Bout to go do some more clearance hunting. March 1st sets are fast approaching. Target and other stores clearing space. I found a few on Thurs (which I posted about), but didn't have anymore time over the weekend to go looking. I hope I can get another set or two today.

You guys had much clearance luck the past week or so?

I'm a bit weary from bargain hunting at physical stores. This year was a bit rougher as LEGO inventory was mostly picked clean around me so very little clearance on LEGO. I may check out a Target since I need to go there anyway.

Lots of sets on sale on Amazon around 30% off with a few reaching 50%. (Click on the "Buy" tab to see if they have links for your country - below are U.S.)
http://brickset.com/buy/vendor-amazon/order-percentdiscount/country-us
http://brickset.com/buy/country-us

ghostmind

Just heard that Harold Ramis passed away. Brent - your set is now not only for the 30th Anniversary, but also to help celebrate his contributions to this film and franchise.

Ponn

Banned
What!? No. I was already getting two of the Ecto-1 (one for a xmas present to a friend). This saddens my purchase now a little.

Top Bottom