• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

-GJ-

That's about $50 US. At that price I'd only get it if you're interested in the theme.

That's what I thought. I'll probably get the monkey then, since I really like that one. And it's already available in a toy store here, even though it's not supposed to come out until the 15th of March according to a different retailer.

robochimp

I just finished the first two bags of the Milenium Falcon. Up until this point I've only built Star Wars ships. After seeing the "room" inside come together with the furniture and the other items, I want more.

I'm going to have to start picking up the modulares aren't I?

Edit: And the Death Star?

Fowler

I just finished the first two bags of the Milenium Falcon. Up until this point I've only built Star Wars ships. After seeing the "room" inside come together with the furniture and the other items, I want more.

I'm going to have to start picking up the modulares aren't I?

Edit: And the Death Star?

BEST STAR.

That's what I thought. I'll probably get the monkey then, since I really like that one. And it's already available in a toy store here, even though it's not supposed to come out until the 15th of March according to a different retailer.

Hive Crawler has a few big parts, but a lot of other great parts. It was also my second favorite set from last year. I felt like a little kid once that thing came together and the legs started moving when you push it.

Yes, I pimp that set hard.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't realize the Nixels were random. I got one with Seismo or Krader (can't remember). I just opened my Shuff and it didn't have a Nixel. I don't have the instructions with me (they are at work), but I recall the Nixel being in the book.

According to Wikipedia.

"For each tribe, one of the three sets will contain a nixel."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixels

Ah, maybe that's the case. Could someone find out which ones contain Nixels? Those little guys are awesome.

Fowler

Resumed construction of the Death Star. Starting Box 2 of 4 now. (I totally love how the Death Star is too epic to merely have a lot of bags; it has a lot of bags inside a lot of boxes.)

Jimbro72

Via an established seller on Bricklink:

OH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

A little late to the party but good news to me, bad news to my wallet. On one hand, I'd be totally fine if they did a straight re-release of the first set but with just current packaging as it would save me hundreds. On the other hand, I know that is not how LEGO operates, so I should just start saving now for the new design as you know it'll be another $500 set, I'm sure. At least I hope they don't cross over that threshold and into $500+ sets. Or maybe they'd do it slightly smaller to hit a $400 price point. Still far bigger than system scale sets but still leaves the first UCS Falcon as the king of all SW sets.

Teslo, Vulk, Krader

So let me get this straight, is there a 4th randomly placed character for each subset in boxes of the above characters? And this is in addition to pics I've seen where it looks like you can take the 3 from each subset and create a slightly larger beast with the pieces? Or is that other one pictured the Nixel? I'm still trying to decide to collect this line or not. Had been leaning towards no. Then the more I hear about them, I'm leaning towards yes but now if they're randomly placing this 4th Nixel character, I'm wondering if I want to bother with chasing that shit down as the completist in me may not allow it otherwise.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
All these photos and reviews of Mixels are getting me quite excited.

The reveal last year was a bit meh, but seeing the creativty and customisation involved in them, the randomness, i think they could be quite fun- defo need to pick up a few.

All these photos and reviews of Mixels are getting me quite excited.

The reveal last year was a bit meh, but seeing the creativty and customisation involved in them, the randomness, i think they could be quite fun- defo need to pick up a few.

The eyes and ball joints are the key. I expect many, many new MOCs from those.

A little late to the party but good news to me, bad news to my wallet. On one hand, I'd be totally fine if they did a straight re-release of the first set but with just current packaging as it would save me hundreds. On the other hand, I know that is not how LEGO operates, so I should just start saving now for the new design as you know it'll be another $500 set, I'm sure. At least I hope they don't cross over that threshold and into $500+ sets. Or maybe they'd do it slightly smaller to hit a $400 price point. Still far bigger than system scale sets but still leaves the first UCS Falcon as the king of all SW sets.

So let me get this straight, is there a 4th randomly placed character for each subset in boxes of the above characters? And this is in addition to pics I've seen where it looks like you can take the 3 from each subset and create a slightly larger beast with the pieces? Or is that other one pictured the Nixel? I'm still trying to decide to collect this line or not. Had been leaning towards no. Then the more I hear about them, I'm leaning towards yes but now if they're randomly placing this 4th Nixel character, I'm wondering if I want to bother with chasing that shit down as the completist in me may not allow it otherwise.

I don't know about distribution, but the Nixel is the small, black figure made from like 8 pieces. There's a few different ones. Jang goes through them all:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH09uL3dLqsVsOh0XmapzLQ

Latest contest isn't even over, but how about a mixel mashup contest next? It will be fun to see what can be done with the new ball joints and eyes.

I've been further sorting my collection this week and disassembling so many sets. After tearing down Tower Bridge, everything feels so tiny and insignificant to take down.

But that will change when it comes time to pack up the Best Star and Super Star Destroyer.

Jimbro72

I don't know about distribution, but the Nixel is the small, black figure made from like 8 pieces. There's a few different ones. Jang goes through them all:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH09uL3dLqsVsOh0XmapzLQ

Thanks for that. I think I'll be collecting these. At least one of each. Maybe a second set when and if a discounted price can be found down the road to also display the Max with the 3 regular builds. These things have definitely grown on me since they were first shown.

judhudson

Got a great deal today. Was at my local Walmart checking out the clearance aisle. Well, I guess someone must of put out a lone Lego Movie Set (The Ice Cream van) as it was marked down to $21. I nabbed that in a heartbeat. Then went to the LEGO aisle and saw they had more but full price. Score!

I also nabbed Emmet, Where are my Pants guy, Larry the Batista, Panda Guy, and Gail. Blind bags are pretty easy to feel! I have 12 so far...dunno if I want the remaining 4. Thinking about it.

neonglow

Build a LEGO NES! Download the instructions here:

http://chrismcveigh.com/cm/building_guides_-_technology.html

Sprite-Edition-New_original.jpg

Built the Captain America Hydra set. Think Ill get the Joker Steam Roller next. Are there anymore Captain America sets coming out because of the new movie??

LEVdWvsl.jpg

Built the Captain America Hydra set. Think Ill get the Joker Steam Roller next. Are there anymore Captain America sets coming out because of the new movie??

LEVdWvsl.jpg

Nice looking set. I almost pulled the trigger in that and the Modok one yesterday. Loving the figs.

I can echo the movie set dearth. I should have gotten the unikitty set when it was everywhere.

Dragoshi1

Well well, many of the new sets hit Florida today!

So I picked up a few.

Got the hero Factory one and the Mixels from Toys R Us, and the Chima one from Walmart;

All fun builds, and I really want more of the Mixels!

Ok so the Winter Village market just came out last year and... it's ALREADY retired??? WTF Lego? Did i miss something here or is this really the way it is? At least according to the EU site it is, which would be a damn shame since my wife loves collecting these and I told her to hold off for price drops and sales since it would be there for at least 2 years :(

neonglow

Ok so the Winter Village market just came out last year and... it's ALREADY retired??? WTF Lego? Did i miss something here or is this really the way it is? At least according to the EU site it is, which would be a damn shame since my wife loves collecting these and I told her to hold off for price drops and sales since it would be there for at least 2 years :(

It should be back in the fall if past sets are an indication. They will have previous set and the new set for Fall 2014. These sets are part of LEGO's no discount policy.

Wha? Or is it just off the shelf until the end of the year again. I was hoping for a markdown like the last WV set.

I'll be making an Amazon order on Tuesday when I get paid, so I'll probably sneak in Cloud Cuckoo Palace. Unikitty is so adorable both in the movie and in the game. I might get Biznis Kitty too. I'm a bit annoyed that the 2x1x2 light pink slope used for her sitting "animation" doesn't actually exist. It would be a great way to make her different within a display.

"Unikitty: We can use this magical rainbow catapult to get up!
Batman: I'm gonna have to shower after this."

BTW, is the movie Batman the same figure as some other release?

Wha? Or is it just off the shelf until the end of the year again. I was hoping for a markdown like the last WV set.

I don't think it'll be retired until later the new year, but I also don't think it'll be discounted. It was around this time that the cottage was discounted by 40% and that was prior to the new rules.

Does anybody know if there are decent stores and / or LEGO exclusives available at the official stores in the San Francisco area? I'm heading down there tomorrow for work.

What Neonglow said. Those are part of the no discount sets. :( Not sure if it will come back in time for the fall double points. If not, I'll try to get it one of the months they have a good freebie with purchase.

Winter sets have a cycle of 2 years typically. Sell through inventory on shelves then won't be back until next season.

ghostmind

What Neonglow said. Those are part of the no discount sets. :( Not sure if it will come back in time for the fall double points. If not, I'll try to get it one of the months they have a good freebie with purchase.

Winter sets have a cycle of 2 years typically. Sell through inventory on shelves then won't be back until next season.

And when it does return, get it ASAP, because they seem to go OOP rather quickly.

Well well, many of the new sets hit Florida today!

So I picked up a few.

Got the hero Factory one and the Mixels from Toys R Us, and the Chima one from Walmart;

All fun builds, and I really want more of the Mixels!

Where in Florida? I'm in the northern part (Gainesville) and it's hard to find many sets.

Are the new sets MSRP at TRU or price bumped? I want a lot of these new small sets.

EDIT: I think I'll be disassembling a few of my sets today, mainly my Goblin King and Galact Squad sets. If I feel like it I may throw some MOCs together.

EDIT: I think I'll be disassembling a few of my sets today, mainly my Goblin King and Galact Squad sets. If I feel like it I may throw some MOCs together.

Good man. I did that with my kids today. We dismantled a ton of the smaller Friends sets that were literally sitting in piles on the shelves.

The more I disassemble the more I realize I need a storage solution, or to get out of the habit entirely. I de-cluttered a few months ago and put all my SW figs in a shoebox. I caught myself ogling some of the new SW figs and realized I may just be buying them to stick in a box.

First world dilemmas.

Just completed Palace Cinema, enjoyable build although seemed lacking in small touches that make me go wow. Probably my least favourite build of the modulars I currently own (FE > GE > PH) but once I get the shelf space sorted it will be nice to have them all lined up.

Thinking Town Hall next month then Parisian Restaurant.... man, I gotta get a bigger shelf!
Apologies for ipad photo and forgot I left Lord Business Laid on top of Pet Shop.....

Dragoshi1

Where in Florida? I'm in the northern part (Gainesville) and it's hard to find many sets.

Are the new sets MSRP at TRU or price bumped? I want a lot of these new small sets.

EDIT: I think I'll be disassembling a few of my sets today, mainly my Goblin King and Galact Squad sets. If I feel like it I may throw some MOCs

SE Florida.

TRU prices are bumped for Mixels, paid 5.49 each. The Hero Factory one was 9.99 at TRU. The Chima beasts were 9.99 at Walmart and Target.

I didn't see any Mixels anywhere else, though.

Almost done with non permanent display teardown. On the last bit of Arkham, then just to take apart Gandalf Arrives and I am set.

Then comes the long reorganization of the collection to figure out where I need more room. Well, at least until I take down my bookstore MOC. But I want to do a piece count on that as I take it down. Curious just how huge it really was.

And then the teardown of permanent displays and boxing them up for moving.

God, this is so time consuming. I dont think I will ever keep so many things on display anymore.

How many sets do you have set up? I am only able to display in the living room (no other space really) and I just realised I have 20 sets placed around the room!

Stuff just taken down this week: Tower Bridge, Arkham Asylum, Stagecoach Escape, Vampyre Castle, Ghost Train, LOTR Pirate Ship Ambush, Lord Business Evil Lair, Rescue Reinforcements, Shelob Attacks, MetalBeard's Duel.

Stuff still up:
Bookstore MOC
Winter Village Cottage
Haunted House
B-Wing UCS
Imperial Shuttle UCS
Red Five X-Wing
R2-D2 UCS
Super Star Destroyer UCS
Death Star
Ewok Village
Horizon Express
Maersk Train
Mini Modulars
Back to the Future DeLorean
Tower of Orthanc
Fire Brigade
Grand Emporium
Pet Shop
Town Hall
Palace Cinema
Parisian Restaurant
VW Camper Van

Bookstore MOC gets put back into the collective. The rest get taken down individually and bagged so they can be rebuilt wherever we wind up moving to.

Top Bottom