• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Well right there is the best modular and the best ship so really it's your choice. Personally I would go for the modular but get it with the knowledge that if you don't have any of the other modulars, it will makeyou want to get them. There are no other costly sailing ships out there atm over 100 dollars so less blackhole risk with sea cow.

Two errors: Not best ship. Many other costly sailing ships (since they're all out of print).

fTEHng9.jpg

I actually made an Amazon order yesterday for some movies but CCP wasn't that much cheaper than MSRP so I got this from a toy shop today instead rather than having to wait. It's a nice little build, but I'll never find a use for 95% of the pieces. Still, worth it for three main characters and for that one time I'll actually need a lime green tile. It's also nice how most of the new elements have doubles.

Ryuuroden

Two errors: Not best ship. Many other costly sailing ships (since they're all out of print).

I disagree, my previous best ship was imperial flagship. I've posted my reasons before why sea cow is better. I own several other pirate and imperial ships dating to the 90's. I did miss out on the PotC ships but I didn't get them because there were enough things I didn't like about them. The only sailing ship I don't own that I wish I did were the viking ones. When I call it best ship I am only talking about ships that travel on water not spaceships. Anyways unless you have built or at least seen sea cow in person, don't underrate it. If you have, well you are entitled to your opinion as am I to mine. (When I wrote my post build on sea cow I did mention it was not for everyone as not everyone is a fan of steampunk designs which is tragic :p)

I disagree, my previous best ship was imperial flagship. I've posted my reasons before why sea cow is better. I own several other pirate and imperial ships dating to the 90's. I did miss out on the PotC ships but I didn't get them because there were enough things I didn't like about them. The only sailing ship I don't own that I wish I did were the viking ones. When I call it best ship I am only talking about ships that travel on water not spaceships. Anyways unless you have built or at least seen sea cow in person, don't underrate it. If you have, well you are entitled to your opinion as am I to mine. (When I wrote my post build on sea cow I did mention it was not for everyone as not everyone is a fan of steampunk designs which is tragic :p)

Well, I'm not too big a fan of steampunk and it's just too misproportioned for me. So Imperial Flagship is still number 1. :D

Hmmm... I think I should try to build the UCS R2-D2 with what bricks I have. Seems like most are fairly common. That would save me almost $200 to buy another set.

It'll be interesting to see what parts I'm missing. This guy built a whole army of astromechs.

R2-Poop-2 by monsterbrick, on Flickr

Fowler

I finished the Death Star. Wow.

Random thoughts:

- Epic. So epic.
- Most of the way through, it's not a hugely interesting build in terms of techniques. It didn't necessarily matter that much, because the EPIC SCALE of the beast outweighs the moment-to-moment cleverness of something like the X-Wing or the way Orthanc continually changes things up on you. But still, it generally wasn't as interesting or educational as a build...
- ...then you get to the super laser, which totally blew my mind.
- In any case, this is one of the few sets where the "what" deservedly blows away the "how" by far: You're building a collection of iconic scenes from some of the most iconic films in history. It didn't matter how many times I'd stared at pictures before buying it or stared at the box, I'd keep getting to a bit, going OOOOH THIS IS WHERE (etc) HAPPENS and replaying the scene in my mind with a smile.
- Cannot understate the enormity of it. And also that it's divided into bags is totally misleading -- bags 4 and 8 have got to be 1000 pieces on their own.
- Speaking of which, I didn't realise how heavy it was until I picked it up! It's not heavy per se, it's just got a surprising heft to it. Then again, I've never had a set even close to this one before.
- Honestly, I know it's expensive, I know it's big, and I know the minifigs are kinda old, but it doesn't matter: This set is amazing, it's unique, and it is a must-buy.

Conclusion: Death Star is Best Star.

Zerojul

- Honestly, I know it's expensive, I know it's big, and I know the minifigs are kinda old, but it doesn't matter: This set is amazing, it's unique, and it is a must-buy.

Welp I was on the fence about buying it, after reading your post I think I'll be short of 429€ by the end of the week... Thank you very much :)

Random thoughts:

- Epic. So epic.
- Most of the way through, it's not a hugely interesting build in terms of techniques. It didn't necessarily matter that much, because the EPIC SCALE of the beast outweighs the moment-to-moment cleverness of something like the X-Wing or the way Orthanc continually changes things up on you. But still, it generally wasn't as interesting or educational as a build...
- In any case, this is one of the few sets where the "what" deservedly blows away the "how" by far: You're building a collection of iconic scenes from some of the most iconic films in history. It didn't matter how many times I'd stared at pictures before buying it or stared at the box, I'd keep getting to a bit, going OOOOH THIS IS WHERE (etc) HAPPENS and replaying the scene in my mind with a smile.
- Cannot understate the enormity of it. And also that it's divided into bags is totally misleading -- bags 4 and 8 have got to be 1000 pieces on their own.
- Speaking of which, I didn't realise how heavy it was until I picked it up! It's not heavy per se, it's just got a surprising heft to it. Then again, I've never had a set even close to this one before.

Totally agree. This is my favorite LEGO set.

And protip: buy a lazy susan so you can spin it around. Your guests will love it :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJQGMU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

jpatez34

Neo Member
Official box art for the summer Lego Movie sets:

Emmet's Constructo Mech

70814-1.jpg

Super Secret Police Drop Ship

70815-1.jpg

and finally Spaceship, SPACESHIP, SPACESHIP!!!!

70816-1.jpg

I WILL be buying all three!

I really want that drop ship to be honest

On a side note, it looks like discounts are starting to hit on some of the later Hobbit sets on amazon. The last figure I want from that series (depending on the later 2014 sets) is Azog so if it hits near $40 I'll bite.

Still no sign of my Sea Cow that was supposedly delivered yesterday and the apartment office doesn't have it. Called FedEx and they'll look into it. If they can't find it, Lego better expedite a replacement... Why can't Lego just use UPS they never mess up for me!

Falch

Looking into buying the smaller box of 30 minifigures for both series 11 and the LEGO movie. Does anyone know what the distribution of minifigures is for those boxes?

Green Grocer question: I did an inventory and I have some of the parts necessary, but there are a few annoyingly expensive parts, especially the 1x8 sand green bricks. As far as I can tell these are all used for the walls. Can I substitute two 1x4s instead for all 50 of them? That would make it a lot more achievable.

Oh, and Space Wyldstyle will need a spare space helmet to go with her suit.

wetwired

Green Grocer question: I did an inventory and I have some of the parts necessary, but there are a few annoyingly expensive parts, especially the 1x8 sand green bricks. As far as I can tell these are all used for the walls. Can I substitute two 1x4s instead for all 50 of them? That would make it a lot more achievable.

Oh, and Space Wyldstyle will need a spare space helmet to go with her suit.

anything like that you should be able to swap out for other pieces easily, I did it when I turned my haunted house sand blue instead of sand green

Dang I want that police drop ship so bad.

Wow. Looks so nice.

I am there with you on the drop ship. It's so badass. 4 robot cops and Johnny Thunder. My LEGO world will have peace and ORDER with those cops on patrol.

The Constructo-mech set is cool, but I can pass on that. I just want Angry-Kitty.

Random thoughts:

- Epic. So epic.

kKCuzzE.gif

Best Star strikes again! It is always wonderful to see someone witness the firepower of that fully armed and operational battle station.

Ponn

Banned
Question for Wetwired, or anyone that has built his Ghostbuster firehouse. Is there a specific set or two that would have most of the pieces needed for it? Like Fire Brigade or Townhall? Thanks.

I am there with you on the drop ship. It's so badass. 4 robot cops and Johnny Thunder. My LEGO world will have peace and ORDER with those cops on patrol.

The Constructo-mech set is cool, but I can pass on that. I just want Angry-Kitty.

I almost want to buy two just so I can modify one to have huge wheels and have my already large police force patrol around in that and fight alongside Batman.

Almost.

is the Spaceship the only one of the large movie sets that is 1:1 to what was in the film or is it scaled down a bit?

It might be. I know the Constuction Mech and Sea Cow were scaled down considerably. But Spaceship! Spaceship! SPACESHIP! looks damn close.

Maybe they know that old school space fans DEMAND perfection for the glorious return.

Yes, I am stoopidly excited for this set. Tempted to make my own SPACESHIP! this week. I have been packing stuff up, but I feel the urge to make a SPACESHIP!

That's my thought. Contract was probably up for renewal and terms were changed.
Character Building Doctor Who Series 4 looks like it's still coming.
1016149_614903738545645_1277232491_n.jpg

I've missed a lot this week due to work travel, but holy crap at the Doctor Who news! There has to be a reason Cuusoo modified their terms. The ferocity with which I would buy a Who set would be scary.

Ponn

Banned
Heads up anyone interested. Amazon has the Joker Steamroller up for preorder for March 1st at $46. Might be worth it to some (like ME!)

They also have the Lego Movie up for preorder, no date, DVD, Bluray + DVD and Bluray, DVD and 3D versions. Will hold off, i'm 99.9 percent sure someone will offer a mini fig preorder/pack in bonus (oh please please please be a Green Lantern fig!)

Ryuuroden

no olympic minfigs?

They weren't released stateside afaik. I am also missing the musketeer from series 4 and just found out today i'm missing the space trooper from series 7. I opened all the bags for series 7 thru 11 today that I had blind felt and never opened due to the move I was planning all the way back then.

neonglow

That's my thought. Contract was probably up for renewal and terms were changed.
Character Building Doctor Who Series 4 looks like it's still coming.
1016149_614903738545645_1277232491_n.jpg

Doctors made from LEGO parts and some custom parts.
lego-doctor-who-kadigan.jpg

Has anyone bought any of the Character Building toys? I'm curious how the quality and price compare to LEGO.

I built up my mech from the torso up but might have trouble building legs next time I get to it. I'm trying to make it a point to use techniques I've learned from official Lego sets.

I am looking forward to seeing where it ends up on our Best of 2014 lists...

I just hope it delivers. Remember, we were both very excited for Galactic Titan, and left underwhelmed. My favorite sets are the surprises. Sets that I get just for parts or figures, but wind up loving so much. For 2012 it was Quinjet. 2013 was Hive Crawler.

mojiimbo

If anyone was looking for Architecture Studio for some reason it looks like it's back in print and in stock on the site and at B&M stores after being sold out for like 3 or 4 months.

Rootbeer

Banned
anyone with a lot of experience using S@H... what time do the next month promos show up on the site? Looks like it will be raining for days, and I may just do an order online instead of weathering it since I go by train.

Midnight PST on March 1st would be perfect :p

ghostmind

anyone with a lot of experience using S@H... what time do the next month promos show up on the site? Looks like it will be raining for days, and I may just do an order online instead of weathering it since I go by train.

Midnight PST on March 1st would be perfect :p

Midnight EST on the 1st is usually when the site updates with the new promos/sets.

I'm heading out to the LEGO Store on the morning of to get my first Martian Manhunter.

Built a lego display tower out of lego for my CMF stuff:

12803840495_e63f0d98d8_c.jpg

* DROOL *
I'm so glad I "kicked" most of my collecting habit a long time ago. If I got into those vinyl or whatever anime statues...

Has anyone bought any of the Character Building toys? I'm curious how the quality and price compare to LEGO.

I have. It's rubbish mate (not that bad, but I just wanted to use some Queen's English). Plastic looks and feels like most plastic toys. I'd say around Mega Bloks quality. Maybe a bit better. Printing is good.

I got the TARDIS set and a bunch of the minifigs. TARDIS isn't too bad, but you can see some areas that won't connect all the way. Lots of specific mould. Looks decent, but I wouldn't dare try the other sets as I only care about the TARDIS and minifigs.

The heads are interchangeable with LEGO, but the styles are so different. LEGO head on CB (Character Building) body is amusing. A bit like a real person wearing a LEGO head. CB head on LEGO body looks awful due to style differences. Torsos and legs aren't compatible. CB uses the 1 stud connection like KRE-O.

CB minifig design isn't too bad. I think the part I dislike most about their design are the legs. I don't know how to explain it. They just seem off when you bend them. Standing straight they look OK.

Now that I'm done trashing CB, some good stuff. Due to the unique head moulds, they are able to capture a lot more subtle details for each Doctor. If you are a Doctor Who fan, I recommend getting the Doctor Who collection set with 11 Doctors (comes with a few different sonic screwdrivers). You'll have to get the War Doctor and the latest incarnation separately for now unless they reissue the set with 13 Doctors.

Bollocks. Let me just take a quick photo and upload. Quickie with bad lighting.

I see what you did there with "Artic". Was that an involuntary ode to Artic Batman? LOL

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/s...-fair-2014/PR_Catalog_2014_FullBook_LoRes.pdf

As for the new sets, these are of interest to me:

42025 Technic Cargo Plane: I actually like the alternate build vs the cargo plane.
42030 Technic RC Volvo L350F Wheel Load: Looks great. Hoping for nice RC functionality.
75054 AT-AT: Awesome how Lego priced this at $110 for 1137 pieces.

Hehe. Yeah, that was my shout out to the Artic Batman misprint on the set. They have a whole theme on it now.

I'm really excited for OT Star Wars sets this year. Tons of iconic sets I missed during my dark ages. All I need now is announcement for UCS Millenium Falcon.

Rootbeer

Banned
Midnight EST on the 1st is usually when the site updates with the new promos/sets.

I'm heading out to the LEGO Store on the morning of to get my first Martian Manhunter.

Midnight EST... even better. Rain, rain... please go away. If not... S@H please restock those new sets asap ;)

leng jai

Disagree, no way that the Sea Cow is better than the Imperial Flagship unless you have a specific affinity to steam punk.

My vote goes to the Parisian Cafe by a mile - the best modular yet.

Top Bottom