• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

glaurung

Ultra Agents bigger agent Tron-esque speeder.
God help me, I like that. I like that a lot.

Being depressed caused me to impulse-buy two LEGO Movie minifigures from my grocery store checkout rack. Got crazy cat lady and Abraham Lincoln. Abe is awesome, cat lady's cat is kinda misshapen.

jpatez34

Neo Member
Would someone be willing to ship over the 2 The LEGO Movie Poly-Bags for me especially the Police one? The UK doesn't have them yet.

ghostmind

Ghostmind, I really need you to hook me up with some promo shots of the VW Beetle. Easily my most anticipated set.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the upcoming rumoured set is the Mini (classic design), not the VW Beetle.

The Beetle was already released back in 1998, as set number 10187.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the upcoming rumoured set is the Mini (classic design), not the VW Beetle.

The Beetle was already released back in 1998, as set number 10187.

Ah! Bearer of fantastic news*. I knew that, too; got my wires completely crossed. Thanks for the clarification.

So, I checked out that sale. Usually, a sale around here means they've taken 10% off the price of some tiny things noone wants anyway. Nope, not this time.

All of Galaxy Squad, all the remains of 2012 LotR, all of Monster Fighters, all of Lone Ranger, some fairly recent Star Wars, some Super Heroes and of course plenty of Duplo, City and Technic. All at 30-50% off. No huge stuff like the Haunted House or modulars and such. The only huge set they have is Death Star and that wasn't included (and is like $600, lol).

It was perfect timing too. I just got a raise, and my birthday is very soon. It's also my personal 30 year anniversary with Lego since I got my first stuff on my birthday in 1984.

I almost couldn't decide. I was there early so noone else had arrived. I briefly considered the GS Mech, the LR train, the MF castle and even the Quinjet. However, even if stuff is rather cheap for once and I probably won't get a chance to see it again, I need to be reasonable. I want either: a) things I want to display or b) parts packs.

So I settled for Helm's Deep, which I've wanted but never really really enough. This is probably the last shot at it, and it's a good parts pack either way. It was a little more than I wanted to pay for it but still a decent price per part. And finally I have somewhere to put my twenty orcs, not counting the ones I got today. I also got Uruk-Hai army because the castle looks a little lame without it. And finally I grabbed Superman vs Power Armour Lex since that set is also going away and I'd like the figures to go with the movie sets.

I'm not going to complain about ridiculous Swedish retail prices, just going to enjoy getting 31% off Helm's, 40% off Army and 43% off Lex.

dNAl2QC.jpg

ghostmind

So, I checked out that sale. Usually, a sale around here means they've taken 10% off the price of some tiny things noone wants anyway. Nope, not this time.

All of Galaxy Squad, all the remains of 2012 LotR, all of Monster Fighters, all of Lone Ranger, some fairly recent Star Wars, some Super Heroes and of course plenty of Duplo, City and Technic. All at 30-50% off. No huge stuff like the Haunted House or modulars and such. The only huge set they have is Death Star and that wasn't included (and is like $600, lol).

It was perfect timing too. I just got a raise, and my birthday is very soon. It's also my personal 30 year anniversary with Lego since I got my first stuff on my birthday in 1984.

I almost couldn't decide. I was there early so noone else had arrived. I briefly considered the GS Mech, the LR train, the MF castle and even the Quinjet. However, even if stuff is rather cheap for once and I probably won't get a chance to see it again, I need to be reasonable. I want either: a) things I want to display or b) parts packs.

So I settled for Helm's Deep, which I've wanted but never really really enough. This is probably the last shot at it, and it's a good parts pack either way. It was a little more than I wanted to pay for it but still a decent price per part. And finally I have somewhere to put my twenty orcs, not counting the ones I got today. I also got Uruk-Hai army because the castle looks a little lame without it. And finally I grabbed Superman vs Power Armour Lex since that set is also going away and I'd like the figures to go with the movie sets.

I'm not going to complain about ridiculous Swedish retail prices, just going to enjoy getting 31% off Helm's, 40% off Army and 43% off Lex.

dNAl2QC.jpg

Nice haul. I think Helm's Deep is going to be one of those sets that slowly start appreciating in value, then pick up sharply in about 5 years, when it will become one of those sets that people wish they had picked up back when it was new.

rallaren

Picked up Star Slicer today. £15 from Amazon deals but £22 with shipping and VAT. Still cheaper than anywhere else I could find on the net and that's how it is with shipping costs.

Nice haul. I think Helm's Deep is going to be one of those sets that slowly start appreciating in value, then pick up sharply in about 5 years, when it will become one of those sets that people wish they had picked up back when it was new.

On the other hand, people are now stockpiling every possible valuable set so there shouldn't be a huge rush in the future. I can't see Fire Brigade ever reaching the heights of Market Street or Cafe Corner because of that.

ghostmind

On the other hand, people are now stockpiling every possible valuable set so there shouldn't be a huge rush in the future. I can't see Fire Brigade ever reaching the heights of Market Street or Cafe Corner because of that.

Fire Brigade is going for about $250USD currently. I agree that newer sets aren't going to appreciate like Cafe Corner or UCS Falcon did, unless either we get another influx of new fans, or the speculator market tapers off, allowing for secondary market shortages to happen again.

dNAl2QC.jpg

Excellent! Lex Power Armor is a great set and value! If you don't like it, resell value of that should be OK if they ever stop making the set. At least until they come out with new sets with the same Wonder Woman and/or Superman (if that ever happens).

I agree. I think that about most of the LotR and some of the Hobbit sets. That theme will most likely never get made again by LEGO after this run. It will be a little like Indiana Jones. I held those sets in my hands (some at heavy clearance prices), but I was in my Dark Ages and resisted. Big regret now that I'm collecting now.

Fire Brigade is going for about $250USD currently. I agree that newer sets aren't going to appreciate like Cafe Corner or UCS Falcon did, unless either we get another influx of new fans, or the speculator market tapers off, allowing for secondary market shortages to happen again.

Speculative guess, but I think Fire Brigade is probably has the most produced sets of all modulars so far. I think the longest running of any modular to date. Also, rumor of it being retired brought a buying frenzy (was it 1 or 2 years ago), and yet they still have inventory of it and it's on the shelves at the LEGO store.

EDIT: The Grand Emporium is still out there too so maybe that's the longest running modular. Much more hype around Fire Brigade IMO though.

OH WOW!

Mattel has purchased Mega Brands for $460 million!

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/MAT/2990330743x0x729834/bc55f104-1e26-4077-bd5b-bfb577187160/MAT_News_2014_2_28_Corporate_News.pdf

The brick wars just got escalated.

My first thought is concern towards the future of some of the licensed themes.

Yes, I'm a bit concerned about licensing. My thought is most IP holders prefer LEGO, but if LEGO can't squeeze it into their planning for whatever reason, Kre-o or Mega Bloks will snap it up.

The other part of me is not concerned because LEGO passes up on some IPs. Also, LEGO is very close to Disney which produces a lot of big IP (Disney, PIXAR, Marvel, etc). I think LEGO is a bit close to Warner Bros too especially after this movie.

LEGO passed on the World of Warcraft IP. IMO turned out better as Mega Bloks did it more justice having more detailed and specialized moulds.

The Nintendo IP is one I never understood why LEGO never picked it up.

Also, Mega Bloks has had IPs that eventually made it to LEGO. Mega Bloks did make a Pirates of the Caribbean sets and Spider-Man movie sets. Also, Mega Bloks made Marvel minifig blind packs.

Ryuuroden

Here's my update on my re-arranged Hobby Room:

12837283753_86f8b4c4c3_c.jpg

12837278513_337817edca_c.jpg

12837634934_ee3d86ba7c_c.jpg

12837197155_467ae26d69_c.jpg

I'll do close-ups of the shelves later when I finish re-arranging some of the displays.

Limited to 4 online? Lame as hell. I was going to order 10.

Yes. Lame, but also good. If there was no limit, chances are a lot of people would be looking at sold out right now. Speculators would buy up lots of 100 or something to sell on eBay.

Luckily I nabbed some online when they actually had a decent sale so I could pad it for free shipping AND get a good deal on The LEGO Movies sets. The interesting part is it's available to pickup in store which was not the case last week. This means it's in their stockrooms and could get put out in the aisles any day.

Here's my update on my re-arranged Hobby Room:

12837278513_337817edca_c.jpg

I'll do close-ups of the shelves later when I finish re-arranging some of the displays.

Everything is awesome! Quite envious that you have a room dedicated to LEGO and so well organized. I can't help but notice there is no work table for building as those visible tables are quite covered.

Ryuuroden

Everything is awesome! Quite envious that you have a room dedicated to LEGO and so well organized. I can't help but notice there is no work table for building as those visible tables are quite covered.

Yeah, that part is still being worked on. The tables in there will eventually hold a city MOC and so I will work directly off that when I get the my setup right. I've been doing a lot of my set building in the dinning room atm. I do want a space to work on custom non city MOC's as well though.

Yes. Lame, but also good. If there was no limit, chances are a lot of people would be looking at sold out right now. Speculators would buy up lots of 100 or something to sell on eBay.

Luckily I nabbed some online when they actually had a decent sale so I could pad it for free shipping AND get a good deal on The LEGO Movies sets. The interesting part is it's available to pickup in store which was not the case last week. This means it's in their stockrooms and could get put out in the aisles any day.

10 of the robot cops (NOT Robocops!) with guns would go well with so many different themes and dioramas.

Hell, I may have to drive over to the Toys R Us a town over now that I think more about it.

The Ultra Agents line looks pretty cool.

Aside from the Light Cycle-esqe car, I think I might MOC a Lestrade figure out of one of the minifigs.

Went to the other Target that never has any clearance. Found a AT-TE, wasn't marked as clearance, but I scanned it and it was on clearance. So I got it!

10 of the robot cops (NOT Robocops!) with guns would go well with so many different themes and dioramas.

Hell, I may have to drive over to the Toys R Us a town over now that I think more about it.

There were some at my local Toys R Us when they have that sale. I think on-line limit is good otherwise you have resellers/speculators buy them all up.

Polybags can be gone quite fast so for some on-line is their only option. I know the local Bricks stores here probably buy up a whole bunch of them. I saw tons of the Robin Cycle that mysteriously never reach the floor at Toys R Us on their store for $15.00 each.

I built Lex's armour. It's much cooler looking in person, looks quite solid. It's also in such weird colours that I'll probably never need to tear it down.

Saving the Helm's stuff for the weekend.

Fowler

That's something I didn't know. I always knew Nintendo made toys before video games but I haven't come across many specific things.

Yeah, I always hear about stuff like the Love Tester and Ultra Hand, but I had never heard of these bricks before.

Nice. And April 4-6 are the grand opening events for the Danbury, CT store. I will be spending the minimum in March to get Martian Manhunter (unless someone gets a second one and wants to trade), and then get something big for April.

Are you going to attend the Grand Opening to get one of the special sets? Do they let you buy two? Because I'd love to have one...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I've seen those bricks before at the beforemario site, and in the Pix'n Love History of Nintendo books.

Would be interesting to own a set, but it seems quite expensive on eBay. Perhaps it'd be cheaper to find on Yahoo Auctions Japan.

Rootbeer

Banned
April confirmed as ideal time for Sea Cow or Simpsons House (for those who didn't buy it already :p)! Or, you know... that Death Star you've been eying for years.

Double VIP!

Top Bottom