• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

So....I went from not having bought a Lego set in many, many years(probably not having a new once since I was in grade school, I'm 25 now), so buying the Back to the Future set, The Simpsons House, the Arctic Batman, the Spidey Chase, the Hearse, Palpantine's arrest, the creator kit with the cabin and crystal mountain thing, Easter Bunny, Valentine's Bear, and Razcal’s glider.

I'm THIS close to buying Black Gate and Dol Guldur.

I hate you all.

I love you all

Welcome to the family obsession.

Put my Arctic Batman set together tonight.
Dang this won't end well for my wallet, already eyeing up what to buy after I finish my others(maybe buy the Batgirl se next)

The Batskiboat is a great design and a decent size.
As for the mini-figures, not a huge fan of Aquaman but its a good figure.
Arctic Batman though is awesome, always been a fan and it works great as a Lego figure.

Set seems like a good deal for $20

If you list your interests (super heroes, fantasy, city stuff, etc) we can help you. :) Bwahahahaha!

So....I went from not having bought a Lego set in many, many years(probably not having a new once since I was in grade school, I'm 25 now), so buying the Back to the Future set, The Simpsons House, the Arctic Batman, the Spidey Chase, the Hearse, Palpantine's arrest, the creator kit with the cabin and crystal mountain thing, Easter Bunny, Valentine's Bear, and Razcal’s glider.

I'm THIS close to buying Black Gate and Dol Guldur.

I hate you all.

I love you all

You don't really hate us all. It's really yourself that you hate for losing control. Relax, you are in control of your actions. Take a deep breath and accept you made the rational and right decision. Feel better? Good, now you can make the right choice again and make sure you buy those sets before the are gone. You have at least 6 months before they start disappearing FOREVER.
You don't want to pay after market prices once the sets are gone. You'll pay 30% and upwards over MSRP.

Where are you located? Amazon US has Black Gate at 27% off right now.
If you ever find Black Gate for a bigger discount, make sure you buy 2 of that set. You can sell the minifigs of 2nd set at a premium. Why 2?

Rootbeer

Banned
thanks for the push BentBricks... I needed a little push to get The Black Gate. Just realized I own ALL of the LotR sets except for black gate, orthanc and the ship.

So, while 2 is a bit rich for my blood, black gate was destined to happen. Hopefully Orthanc at some point as well. As for the ship... I'm willing to skip it, unless I can find a tremendous deal like I did with the Goblin King set which I got for over 50% off

Sides... how can I consider my Lotr/Hobbit LEGO collection respectable without a Gwaihir

Ponn

Banned
The two Black Gates is exactly what ive been debating. I already have the one i got from walmart for $35 and $44 from Amazon is pretty good for the second set i would need. That Dol Guldur set for about the same price is good to but like the Goblin King the set just does nothing for me. I think I already know which one im going to get with my Amazon credit.

neonglow

thanks for the push BentBricks... I needed a little push to get The Black Gate. Just realized I own ALL of the LotR sets except for black gate, orthanc and the ship.

So, while 2 is a bit rich for my blood, black gate was destined to happen. Hopefully Orthanc at some point as well. As for the ship... I'm willing to skip it, unless I can find a tremendous deal like I did with the Goblin King set which I got for over 50% off

Sides... how can I consider my Lotr/Hobbit LEGO collection respectable without a Gwaihir
The shop is constantly on sale for $70-75. I think it will increase a lot once it goes out of print since it is a ship. Hull pieces are quite pricey by themselves.

Email said demand exceeded their expectation and there was not enough inventory to cover it.

Did anyone else order the hearse?

That's a bit understandable, would be nice if they comped you some VIP points or something.

How on earth could they not expect such a huge response? You sell something at a 75% discount you'll get a huge response. I'm surprised they didn't start at 30%, then 50%, etc.

Also, I'm a programmer. I don't see how a decent system can get the inventory numbers wrong before cutting it off. It's it's a bug in their system, they need to get it fix soon. Seems to me like a fairly basic functionality of any sales system. Oh well, LEGO support has been so good to me in the past that I wouldn't be upset at them. I'd still be disappointed.

Black Gate is decent but I tore it down pretty quickly. It's just not notable enough. It's kind of a Orthanc light in terms on construction and looks too.

Orthanc is almost a compact Death Star in terms on iconic scenes, detail and general badass looks. The only thing it lacks is a proper orc army.

Ok since the german shop doesn't have it, i'm gonna order on the french Lego shop site now to get me my damn Manhunter damnit!!!

Now, to get up to 55 euro, which Lego movie set(s) would you guys recommend? I am currently looking at Bad Cop Pursuit (and a couple Mixels) or Creative Ambush? hmmm Metal Beard is not in stock so that's not an option and my wife already owns Cloud Cuckoo Palace!

Ok since the german shop doesn't have it, i'm gonna order on the french Lego shop site now to get me my damn Manhunter damnit!!!

Now, to get up to 55 euro, which Lego movie set(s) would you guys recommend? I am currently looking at Bad Cop Pursuit (and a couple Mixels) or Creative Ambush? hmmm Metal Beard is not in stock so that's not an option and my wife already owns Cloud Cuckoo Palace!

Tough call between Bad Cop Pursuit and Creative Ambush. I do recommend getting a few Mixels at some point.

Bad Cop Pursuit has the awesome Police car and some alligators.
Creative Ambush has some very cool parts and minifigs. If you like steampunk the answer is obvious.

neonglow

It's Rescue Reinforcement an option?

Zerojul

I would go for creative ambush because it's more... well... creative. But I guess it's just a matter of taste. On a side note, I didn't know you could order from another euro shop easily. I need to try that sometime.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
42004-1.jpg

I don't usually buy Technic sets, but I have to say I really liked http://brickset.com/sets/42004-1/Mini-Backhoe-Loader . Amazing build with lots of moving bits in such a small set. I can't imagine myself designing a Technic build myself with all the intricate connectivity between parts.

You know now that you have Mr. Freeze you have to get the Arkham Asylum set so you can put him in his specially designed cell. Just saying.
There is so much good DC and Batman stuff I really don't know what to buy next.
I would pass on the Bathelicopter(never liked that vehicle for Batman) but the set includes Nightwing so.

If you list your interests (super heroes, fantasy, city stuff, etc) we can help you. :) Bwahahahaha!
LOL
1. Batman/DC
2. Lego Movie(Will probably get every major movie set eventually)
3. Ghostbusters set
4. generic city stuff (thinking about building a city bloc)
5. LotR
6. a few Marvel sets for the characters(Like Iron Man, not a huge fan of Spidy figure though)

And of older stuff;
Indiana Jones(have the ToD set from Walmart clearance years ago but never opened it)
Monsters seem interesting.
If you want one of the best deals for $20 or less:

http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/AdditionalImages/6862-2/6862_alt1.jpg

Fantastic build. Awesome mech. Not only do you get Lex Luthor, but it is the only set where you get comic book, pre New 52 Superman and Wonder Woman.

Order it and some other stuff from LEGO.com (or go to the LEGO store) before the end of the month (the sooner the better) and get the total order up to $75 or more so you can get this guy free:

http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/AdditionalImages/5002126-1/5002126_alt1.jpg

BAM! Then all you will need is for them to release a Green Lantern figure to have a complete Justice League.

Seconded. That ship is tip top. It is one of the Star Wars sets that everyone who builds it winds up gushing about it. And with good reason.

Thanks.

I want a set for Wonder Woman's invisible jet with all clear pieces.

I almost went there in my post, lol. I figured easing him into it would help. But yeah, while we are at it, and since Ponn started it, you should buy this Razgriz:

10937_alt1.jpg

Fantastic set. One of Ghostmind's top 5 of last year. Not a top 5 for me, but definitely top 10.

And look at all those awesome criminals you get...

ughhhhhhh I want this

neonglow

Are you guys ready for lowered clearance prices? There's a crazy feedback loop going on between Amazon and Target which results in almost double the discount.

Target BOGO 40% ==> Amazon pricematch ==> Target pricematch w/ BOGO 40%

It means prices are reduced even further for Arctic Batman, High Speed Chase, Gamatron and others.

List of Target BOGO 40% Items

Are you guys ready for lowered clearance prices? There's a crazy feedback loop going on between Amazon and Target which results in almost double the discount.

Target BOGO 40% ==> Amazon pricematch ==> Target pricematch w/ BOGO 40%

It means prices are reduced even further for Arctic Batman, High Speed Chase, Gamatron and others.

List of Target BOGO 40% Items

WTF. Well, LEGO and retailers plan to make me bankrupt is working.

Plastic bubble theory is the only thing that can explain massive discounts on new sets.
$14.99 online price LEGO® Ninjago Kai Fighter 70721
With BOGO 40% that's 40% of MSRP on a set only out for a little over 2 months.

LEGO Super Heroes Spider-Cycle Chase would have been amazing with 20% off the 40% reduced price. All gone now.

LEGO City High Speed Chase 60007 is a good price. It's close to 50% off MSRP + the BOGO 40% deal.

Good deal still available (~50% off with BOGO 40%):
LEGO Ninjago Garmatron 70504 LEGO

Damnit I just bought Artic Batman

That was quick. It was unavailable less than 30 minutes after you posted.

neonglow

Plastic bubble theory is the only thing that can explain massive discounts on new sets.

LEGO Super Heroes Spider-Cycle Chase would have been amazing with 20% off the 40% reduced price. All gone now.

LEGO City High Speed Chase 60007 is a good price. It's close to 50% off MSRP + the BOGO 40% deal.

Both Target and Amazon have automated algorithms that base their prices on competitors. Target's algorithm didn't take into consideration their current promo and that is why prices are lowered now. Blame/thank the programmers for not taking this scenario into consideration.

I meant I had bought it a few days ago so I wasn't really able to take advantage of the deal

YAY! I ordered The Vampyre Hearse yesterday but this morning it was cancelled. Now its back in Customer Service.

Speaking oh which, this is my first time ordering from Lego.com, is it normal for order to be in Customer Service status for a few days?

neonglow

YAY! I ordered The Vampyre Hearse yesterday but this morning it was cancelled. Now its back in Customer Service.

Speaking oh which, this is my first time ordering from Lego.com, is it normal for order to be in Customer Service status for a few days?
Yes. LEGO can take up to a week to ship stuff out.

Yes. It is a bit odd with how long things take to show up on there, as well as how long before VIP points show up.

You did sign up for VIP right? If not, you need to.

BAH! Green Lantern or bust!

Then Black Adam.

I'll give you him since he's an iconic DC superhero.

Built the Ice Cream truck, it's a pretty nice set. I haven't built the alt model yet but honestly, I've wanted something like this set for awhile...I love the colors for it and its a really nice looking vehicle. Still bummed Rescue Reinforcements was sold out...I have a good feeling I know why.

BAH! Green Lantern or bust!

Then Black Adam.

Black Adam won't sell a set. Besides, if they ever do a Captain Marvel set, Black Adam would be an ideal villain,

I think Green Lantern would do well in a set. Black Adam is like Martian Manhunter, not very well known and wouldn't really drive sales of a set by themselves.

Besides, LEGO WILL make a Green Lantern for sure. I'm just wondering why they are holding out so long.

Melting LEGO has been on my mind for quite awhile.

I've read that even after a LEGO brick is moulded, the plastic can still be melted like the plastic granules. Basically that means it could be reused.

The "cheap" MakerBot 3D printer basically melts ABS string for printing.

I did a quick search and only found this which was interesting, but not melting by heat, but by chemical.
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80574

Why would I want to melt LEGO bricks? So I can patch those keychain holes when I remove the metal rod and not have to worry about painting the color.

Don't worry, I would never melt a perfectly good LEGO brick. I'd probably do it with used and abused pieces or broken bricks.

Anyone ever thought or tried melting LEGO bricks? I'm not talking about burning them. Burning plastics gives of toxic fumes anyway.

neonglow

Melting LEGO has been on my mind for quite awhile.

I've read that even after a LEGO brick is moulded, the plastic can still be melted like the plastic granules. Basically that means it could be reused.

The "cheap" MakerBot 3D printer basically melts ABS string for printing.

I did a quick search and only found this which was interesting, but not melting by heat, but by chemical.
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80574

Why would I want to melt LEGO bricks? So I can patch those keychain holes when I remove the metal rod and not have to worry about painting the color.

Don't worry, I would never melt a perfectly good LEGO brick. I'd probably do it with used and abused pieces or broken bricks.

Anyone ever thought or tried melting LEGO bricks? I'm not talking about burning them. Burning plastics gives of toxic fumes anyway.

The guys that make aftermarket weapons like Brickarms actually source their ABS from LEGO pieces. They just find the cheapest black pieces with most volume and melt them into new parts.

jpatez34

Neo Member
Update on my search for the two LEGO Movie poly-bags.

John Lewis in Kingston does not stock them :-(
LEGO Customer Services are looking into where I can possibly buy them, but I'm not hopeful on a positive result :-(
Really do not want to buy from eBay, as postage is over £12!

Man the UK really sucks when it comes to poly-bags, you either get them via a promotion through S@H only or spend megabucks importing from the US.

Bad times man :-(

So does anyone expect there to be a double VIP points months on the UK store soon? I need to get the pet show and VW camper van before they disappear but I don't know whether to risk it and wait.

I've just started to get into LEGO again due to various reasons and over the last 2 weeks I've bought the grand emporium, the Haunted House and managed to pick up the market village for a decent price on E Bay. It's really annoying that I'll probably never get the first few Street modular sets.

LEGO Customer Services are looking into where I can possibly buy them, but I'm not hopeful on a positive result :-(

Man the UK really sucks when it comes to poly-bags, you either get them via a promotion through S@H only or spend megabucks importing from the US.

The WH smiths in Huddersfield had loads at the weekend. Have you tried the WH Smiths in your area?

So does anyone expect there to be a double VIP points months on the UK store soon? I need to get the pet show and VW camper van before they disappear but I don't know whether to risk it and wait.

I've just started to get into LEGO again due to various reasons and over the last 2 weeks I've bought the grand emporium, the Haunted House and managed to pick up the market village for a decent price on E Bay. It's really annoying that I'll probably never get the first few Street modular sets.

I'm putting together an older set piece by piece via Bricklink. The only real problem is that some parts are out of print and tend to be costly, but some can be substituted if you only want the look and don't care about accuracy (like, using a newer piece with reinforcments rather than an old one without).

I'm putting together an older set piece by piece via Bricklink. The only real problem is that some parts are out of print and tend to be costly, but some can be substituted if you only want the look and don't care about accuracy (like, using a newer piece with reinforcments rather than an old one without).

What sort of price have you had to pay per set? It might be something I look into as I would love a full Street set and as long as it generally looks right that will be fine.

Yeah I did try Smiths and nothing.

That's a shame. What about stores like Wilkinsons?

Fowler

Do you live in Kingston?

That one is using the traditional ball joints. And to such awesome effect.

You know, I was wondering that before I posted it. I looked at the right knee and the angle made it appear only one stud wide.

Upon further review, you are correct. I will let someone else be the first to post spindly mechy things using one-ballers!

What sort of price have you had to pay per set? It might be something I look into as I would love a full Street set and as long as it generally looks right that will be fine.

About $0.15-0.20 per part, overall. Some parts are very cheap but exclusive ones tend to climb. I simply couldn't do the brown masts in Imperial Flagship for example. The ones available were like $20 a piece.

If you substitute the discontinued windows and door pieces in Cafe Corner with something else, it should be doable at around $250-300, while a complete set (even with some parts already substituted) are $450+. Complete originals are $700+.

The important part is to set an achievable cost for each part and then try to find stores with the most parts available. When I simply looked for those with the most parts, some of them were needlessly expensive.

Just got back from my local LEGO store, but I walked away empty handed.

I was hoping to grab one of the SW battle packs along with the new Hulk minifig explosion set but the superhero sets were practically wiped out. Apparently they're having a tough time keeping any of the new Marvel & DC sets in, and an absolutely impossible time maintaining any stock of Movie figs and the low priced Movie sets.

They said that Sea Cow is moving like gangbusters for them. First time seeing it in person, and it's huge.

Top Bottom