• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

I spent the evening helping a friend sort through his old Lego. It turned out to be mostly Technic from 1997-1998, with a few Exploriens thrown in. There was some cool stuff like the fiber optic set (big helicopter), but nothing really valuable. I can see why Lego almost went away at that point, the designs for minifigs were horrible and sets were gaudy. Although, the time traveller idea was rather crazy in a Movie way, I guess.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just got back from my local LEGO store, but I walked away empty handed.

I was hoping to grab one of the SW battle packs along with the new Hulk minifig explosion set but the superhero sets were practically wiped out. Apparently they're having a tough time keeping any of the new Marvel & DC sets in, and an absolutely impossible time maintaining any stock of Movie figs and the low priced Movie sets.

They said that Sea Cow is moving like gangbusters for them. First time seeing it in person, and it's huge.
Impressive... LEGO needs to keep up with the demand. Hearing similar reports all over. I've had pretty good luck finding stock when I go to my local store, but I haven't been in about 15 or so days, that LEGO movie affect is continuing to snowball.

Going to be interesting when double VIP month hits. Will the movie-induced wave be dwindling by then? Or will it kick the frenzy to an even higher gear?

I'm so glad I got in there early and got my LEGO Movie CMF stuff out of the way before things took off. I remember being in the LEGO store the day those first hit shelves weeks before the film released, there were lots of kids in there too and they were all mostly ignoring the movie stuff. Now? I bet that's definitely not the case.

I spent the evening helping a friend sort through his old Lego. It turned out to be mostly Technic from 1997-1998, with a few Exploriens thrown in. There was some cool stuff like the fiber optic set (big helicopter), but nothing really valuable. I can see why Lego almost went away at that point, the designs for minifigs were horrible and sets were gaudy. Although, the time traveller idea was rather crazy in a Movie way, I guess.

I always though Time Cruisers and Time Twisters were a bit too crazy at the time. I had the big Time Cruisers ship but most of the other sets were such a mish mash of ideas...and most of them came out looking really weird...97 and 98 weren't their best years.

Going to be interesting when double VIP month hits. Will the movie-induced wave be dwindling by then? Or will it kick the frenzy to an even higher gear?

Oh man I forgot that April has some double VIP weeks.

My store still has plenty of Winter Markets so maybe I'll save that and the Restaurant for April.

neonglow

That's about the time I bailed out of LEGO as a kid. The Juniorized LEGO City was the final straw for me.

Impressive... LEGO needs to keep up with the demand. Hearing similar reports all over. I've had pretty good luck finding stock when I go to my local store, but I haven't been in about 15 or so days, that LEGO movie affect is continuing to snowball.

I'm so glad I got in there early and got my LEGO Movie CMF stuff out of the way before things took off. I remember being in the LEGO store the day those first hit shelves weeks before the film released, there were lots of kids in there too and they were all mostly ignoring the movie stuff. Now? I bet that's definitely not the case.

I'm glad I got all the CMF stuff out of the way once they first became available. It must be really hard now to get a collection now with all the new movie fans.

I was at the Pleasanton Lego Shop about three weeks ago. The place was a madhouse! The three low-priced movie sets were out of stock but there were CMF packs there with about 5 adults and a bunch of kids standing there feeling the packs. I was able to find the last Wyldstyle there for a little girl who wanted one. That made me happy. Luckily my daughter already had one from the week prior or else it would have been hers.

I am on the fence about the Sea Cow, but it's nice to hear that it's selling like hotcakes. I'm not into steampunk but I do like ships. Had the Imperial Flagship, Black Pear, Queen Anne, and the LOTR Pirate Ambush and loved them all. Maybe I'll snag one up if there is ever a deal on it.

Snaku

Banned
Ordered my first Lego set in forever: 21103. Should be delivered today and I couldn't be more excited. Yes, finally seeing the Lego Movie did this to me. I had a question though, I was browsing the Lego online store, and noticed the deeply discounted Palpatine's Arrest set. It said it was expected to be in stock in May, so I decided I'll just order it now. But when I added it to my cart the sale price wasn't applied and I was going to be charged full price. What's the deal with that? Why even bother advertising a sale if you can't get it for that price? Very annoyed.

About $0.15-0.20 per part, overall. Some parts are very cheap but exclusive ones tend to climb. I simply couldn't do the brown masts in Imperial Flagship for example. The ones available were like $20 a piece.

If you substitute the discontinued windows and door pieces in Cafe Corner with something else, it should be doable at around $250-300, while a complete set (even with some parts already substituted) are $450+. Complete originals are $700+.

The important part is to set an achievable cost for each part and then try to find stores with the most parts available. When I simply looked for those with the most parts, some of them were needlessly expensive.

I'm guessing it will be even more expensive for me here in the UK. I may just forget about the olders sets until I've bought all the available modular sets. I should still be able to get Fire Brigade house for about £170 on eBay.

I received The Unexpected Gathering set today but the company hadn't shipped it in a box and basically just wrapped it in thick plastic. Needless to say the box has massive dents and scrapes in it. So avoid Iwantoneofthose. Com.

I'm guessing it will be even more expensive for me here in the UK. I may just forget about the olders sets until I've bought all the available modular sets. I should still be able to get Fire Brigade house for about £170 on eBay.

I received The Unexpected Gathering set today but the company hadn't shipped it in a box and basically just wrapped it in thick plastic. Needless to say the box has massive dents and scrapes in it. So avoid Iwantoneofthose. Com.

Not necessarily, that's about what it costs to find pieces from European sellers.

ghostmind

I just purchased the set. I don't think anyone else has it yet since it is a more kid focused theme but their pat dragons have been great. I'd check for reviews on YouTube.

Check out JANG's review for a good look at this set. Lots of cool features for this dragon.

I just purchased the set. I don't think anyone else has it yet since it is a more kid focused theme but their pat dragons have been great. I'd check for reviews on YouTube.

Check out JANG's review for a good look at this set. Lots of cool features for this dragon.

I have the set. Got it before Christmas right when it came out at 30% off. It's in my backlog pile right now.

----
Amazon deals:

31% off LEGO Lord of the Rings 79014 Dol Guldur Battle Building Kit
Ugh. I think I can wait it out. The set just came out so I think we'll see 30% again and maybe more. Seems like the Hobbit sets are not selling well.

$5.11 LEGO City Fire Chief Car 60001 Almost worth it for the minifigs and cat.

$25.59 (50% off) LEGO Chima 70008 Gorzans Gorilla Striker
This is a cool looking set. I got this around this price awhile ago. Hard for me to say no to 50% off sets that I have some interest in.

I can't believe we're seeing so many clearance priced sets online. Sure beats hunting for them in the stores.

EDIT: Man, Azog goes for $15 and Radagast goes for $10 on Bricklink. If you want those minifigs Dol Guldur Battle set is a deal at $47.99 (30% off MSRP)

Ponn

Banned
Was thinking of getting the White House set and this set here

KVhDKVK.jpg

Amazon has the White House for $45 and this tripod set from a third party for $25. I kind of wanted to make a funny Independance Day scene with the Mothership set I already have. Is $25 still a reasonable price for the Tripod set?

Amazon has the White House for $45 and this tripod set from a third party for $25. I kind of wanted to make a funny Independance Day scene with the Mothership set I already have. Is $25 still a reasonable price for the Tripod set?

I think Amazon has had that Alien Conquest set for $25 for the last year. Or what seems like it.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

DO IT. The Tripod is one of the best Alien Conquest sets. While you're at it, get the Alien Mothership--it usually goes for ~$30 new now. You get Hypaxxus-8 and an Alien Clinger named Captain Ploovie!

Any opportunity to bring up Alien Conquest and mourn the loss of wave 2 is welcomed.

Gonna quote myself from OT2 because every OT needs a reminder of the canceled AQ Wave 2 awesomeness.

Looking back at the crazy large LEGO office picture from the official HD pictures section, I found even more cool
heartbreaking
prototype stuff.
1LP07Cv.png

1) Alien Conquest (Second to the left) - Amazing bulky scorpion mech/pod/ship set. Looks REALLY cool! Possibly intended for the wave 2 of Alien Conquest everyone is dreaming of. Right next to Dino wave 2 with an Ankylosaurus, right? :(
Looks like it comes with an Alien Grenadier of some sort? (Clear black brain like Hypaxxus-8 and Alien Villainess) Gonna have to MOC that one someday.

My heart breaks knowing this set may never be released.

2) Alien Conquest (Far left) - Neat ADU fighter jet with two rotors. Not the same as Jet-Copter Encounter. Has a cool silver alien. I like the prototype WARNING label that runs through the front of the box. Wish they kept it.

My love for the Alien Conquest line will never end. :((((

Still need to MOC that one.

ghostmind

The early demise of Alien Conquest still hurts the heart.

On the topic of the Dino sets - I wish the sets themselves had been more inspired - then maybe we could have had a second wave with other dinos, such as Stegoaurus, diplodocus and ankylosaurus.

The early demise of Alien Conquest still hurts the heart.

On the topic of the Dino sets - I wish the sets themselves had been more inspired - then maybe we could have had a second wave with other dinos, such as Stegoaurus, diplodocus and ankylosaurus.

Yeah, the sets from Dino were meh, but the dinos themselves were fantastic. I think the price hurt the theme as well, as they were pretty high because of the dino molds.

To be fair, the tiny jeep in Ambush Attack isn't terrible...it just isn't terribly inspired.

Decision time:

I want a Martian Manhunter fig and I'm getting unnecessarily paranoid that I'll miss out. Do I wait for my LEGO store to get a restock of that crazy Hulk/Taskmaster/etc. set or do I buy Farnsworth House online? Both would obviously be supplemented to exceed the $75 threshold.

Got my catalog today. It shows that buying a bundle of all the Mixels together gets you double VIP points. If I knew that, I would have gotten that the other day instead of just one Mixel.

It's decent for an out of print set. The MSRP is $20.

To be fair, the tiny jeep in Ambush Attack isn't terrible...it just isn't terribly inspired.

Decision time:

I want a Martian Manhunter fig and I'm getting unnecessarily paranoid that I'll miss out. Do I wait for my LEGO store to get a restock of that crazy Hulk/Taskmaster/etc. set or do I buy Farnsworth House online? Both would obviously be supplemented to exceed the $75 threshold.

I'm speculating that they will make a keychain out of him. If you can call the LEGO store in the morning and see if they can hold it if they get any in stock. I don't think they'll run out of Martian Manhunter figs until late next week. If they do, order online since they tend to have a bigger stock of freebies.

Why not order Hulk set online? The Manhunter shows up in the cart when you hit $75. LEGO will send two separate packages free I'm pretty sure.

Rootbeer

Banned
Got my catalog today. It shows that buying a bundle of all the Mixels together gets you double VIP points. If I knew that, I would have gotten that the other day instead of just one Mixel.

well that's some BS o_O I bought all 9 the day they hit stores and didn't get double VIP. Oh well >.<

Rootbeer

Banned
I kept waiting for a good sale on those Dino sets, and then before I knew it they were all out of print.

Yeah it seems that sets with bigfigs are harder to find at a good discount (30% or more), some like the Goblin King set go on sale more frequently, but he's not a very in-demand character... Dinos on the other hand... Then before you know it the opportunity is past >.<

sharbhund

Have you checked your local Toys R Us? I still see some around once in a while.

Then we're back to the original problem that I had with the sets -- they're over-priced.

For example, the Triceratops Trapper set was $50 for 271 pieces and 2 minifigs. In comparison, another non-licensed set with a bigfig that came out last year was Dragon Mountain, which is also $50, but has 376 pieces and 5 minifigs. Even the licensed set Hulk Lab Smash, which has 2 bigfig pieces, has more pieces and minifigs than the similarly-priced Dino set.

I suppose if I saw them at TRU during a BOGO 50% off sale, I could talk myself into buying it.

Rootbeer

Banned
nobody wants kre-o, nobody wants mega bloks, why don't these other companies fuck off so LEGO can get the licenses it deserves :p

ehh whatever, the Dino theme was just fine on its own. Really hope they revisit it. Not that I haven't already said that enough

ghostmind

nobody wants kre-o, nobody wants mega bloks, why don't these other companies fuck off so LEGO can get the licenses it deserves :p

ehh whatever, the Dino theme was just fine on its own. Really hope they revisit it. Not that I haven't already said that enough

Some of the work that MEGA has been doing with Halo and CoD is interesting. They are no LEGO, but I think they have come a long way.

ghostmind

Since LEGO has a close relationship with WB, I wonder if we'll get sets based on their slate of movies coming out in 2015 like Mad Max: Fury Road.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Warner_Bros._films#Upcoming

For Disney stuff, I could see them license Big Hero 6 or Tomorrowland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Pictures_films#Future_releases

I think we'll see a return of PotC as well, assuming that movie gets made.

The Avengers sequel will get a big LEGO push I'm betting.

And of course, Star Wars will be insane for the next decade.

If I was better at doing MOCs (or just had time outside of my thesis) I'd love to do a Cussoo (I forget spelling) of Naked Gun :)

A Leslie Nielson figure alongside his police car and maybe an OJ Simpson as well. I don't know if it would even do good but I would love to see it.

On a more related note I put together High Speed Police chase and it is a very passable set. The only reason I would say it's worth it is if you need the bikes (which are nice in the new colors, & the silver chassis on the black bike). The figures are alright but the car is pretty lackluster.

I'm glad I got it on sale. I don't see it's $20 price point as a worthy price. Save your money.

frogg609

I'm tempted to pick up Dol Guldur Battle, though I'm wondering if will drop lower than 31%. Compared to first wave, I'm not nearly as impressed with the Hobbit sets this time around. Wonder if many other people feel the same way, so they aren't selling that well.

Top Bottom