• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

JANG's Flashback Friday for March 7th is 6970 Beta 1 Command Base from 1980:

WgAW42W.png

http://youtu.be/Hs2GFw_UkHQ

Oh, the feels...

neonglow

I got most of my purchases from the sales earlier this week. Such great deals on LEGO that we haven't had for awhile.

12999869405_26c3449030.jpg

UCS Red Five $160
Tower of Orthanc $160
Nindroid Mech Dragon $58
Battle of Smallville $26
Cargo Truck $21
High Speed Chase $17
Spider-cycle Chase $12

ghostmind

I got most of my purchases from the sales earlier this week. Such great deals on LEGO that we haven't had for awhile.

12999869405_26c3449030.jpg

UCS Red Five $160
Tower of Orthanc $160
Nindroid Mech Dragon $58
Battle of Smallville $26
Cargo Truck $21
High Speed Chase $17
Spider-cycle Chase $12

Nice haul!

I wonder what, if anything, has happened with the "direct" set sales? Are retailers calling LEGO's bluff, or did they pressure LEGO to knock it off?

neonglow

Nice haul!

I wonder what, if anything, has happened with the "direct" set sales? Are retailers calling LEGO's bluff, or did they pressure LEGO to knock it off?

I think it was just a glitch. Orthanc was back in stock a couple days later but they took off the BOGO 40% off.

I think it was just a glitch. Orthanc was back in stock a couple days later but they took off the BOGO 40% off.

Probably. We all remember the numerous TRU glitches of keeping two sales active Sat night/Sun morning. So said they got their act together.

Competition is good for us consumers. It's great when Amazon, Target, and Walmart battle it out for our money. TRU even has good sales now too.

Swung by Target and they had Mixels but none of the ones I wanted: red or yellow. It seems most others are thinking the same since they had a ton of the black sets but no others.

Rootbeer

Banned

UCS Red Five $160
Tower of Orthanc $160

Nindroid Mech Dragon $58
Battle of Smallville $26
Cargo Truck $21
High Speed Chase $17
Spider-cycle Chase $12
~__^ how?

I'm all for minifig scale UCS sets. I guess the Best Star and Ewok Village should fall under UCS as well.
Damn right! And I await power function MOCs for the Sandcrawler. It almost seems like they are expecting it.

Also, I hope they give you the pieces to make the mini figure line up thing they used in the video. Would be a nice touch.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Kind of shocked LEGO didn't go $400 on that. Maybe because it's not as iconic a set, they want to try and give it a better price.

I currently have $40 worth of VIP points. Was thinking of purchasing either Grand Emporium or the VW T1 Camper Van next month during double VIP promo. But I might save that money for the Sandcrawler that will obviously debut on May the Fourth, a Sunday.

Knocking the price down to $259.99 will feel really good.

ghostmind

I currently have $40 worth of VIP points. Was thinking of purchasing either Grand Emporium or the VW T1 Camper Van next month during double VIP promo. But I might save that money for the Sandcrawler that will obviously debut on May the Fourth, a Sunday.

Knocking the price down to $259.99 will feel really good.

And I am sure there will be a May 4th promo minifig that requires a $100 minimum LEGO Star Wars purchase, so you'll get both!

ghostmind

BTW, the UCS Sandcrawler is the 7th largest set of all time, by piece count.

1. 10189 Taj Mahal (5,922 pcs)
2. 10179 UCS Millennium Falcon (5,195 pcs)
3. 10214 Tower Bridge (4,287 pcs)
4. 10188 UCS Death Star (3,803 pcs)
5. 10143 UCS Death Star II (3,441 pcs)
6. 10181 Eiffel Tower (3,428 pcs)
7. 75059 UCS Sandcrawler (3,296 pcs)
8. 10196 Grand Carousel (3,263 pcs)
9. 10221 UCS Super Star Destroyer (3,152 pcs)
10. 10030 UCS Imperial Star Destroyer (3,096 pcs)

neonglow

Or if they repeat last year, maybe wait until November for triple VIP...

You have a very good point. I will wait until then and if it doesn't happen, I will budget for next March/April. It's not like there's a shortage of expensive LEGO set I need.

I hope this year's May 4th sale is as good at the $100 B-Wing.

Zerojul

Looks very nice. I like the minifig lineup that comes with it too. And I'm glad they went with 299€, was expecting 349/400€ when I saw the piece count. I mean, its only 500 pieces less than Best Star and 129€ less expensive, that's quite a gap. May because it's less of an iconic model ?
Anyway, May can't come soon enough :)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

You know... if they DO remake the UCS Falcon, they need to go for 6,000 pieces and take back the #1 spot...

$300 UCS Sandcrawler? $200 Simpsons House, $250 Ewok Village, Modulars, and the list goes on and on...

I'm too lazy to build a big hand made out of LEGO giving the middle finger. There is absolutely too much LEGO that I want to get. Slow down LEGO!

This will have to do.

You forced my hand. I'll only have to get 1 AT-AT instead of 2-3 now.

Fowler

6 of the top 10 are Star Wars. That's awesome.

(And 3 of the remaining 4 are iconic structures.)

My favorite thing about the Sandcrawler? That new box design, weirdly. Mix of classic and modern.

Rootbeer

Banned
Sandcrawler is tempting me slightly... but $300 buys a LOT of LEGO, especially when a lot of your sets are bought on discount like mine... and you'll probably never find this set on discount due to new policies so...

It looks great for what it is. It's just not a very compelling piece to own for my needs. And the minifigs, while they compliment the set perfectly, are also not that interesting.... but that's often the case with these UCS SW Sets.

The UCS rebranding is most interesting to me. Looks like they've redone the logo to where they could easily do UCS branding for just about any line.

UCS Lord of the Rings/Hobbit (Minas Tirith?) UCS Harry Potter (how about the perfect Hogwarts we always wanted?) I'd love to see them get more adventurous with this category.

neonglow

I'm glad all the pieces went towards the Sandcrawler and not towards Uncle Owen's house. Hopefully they'll make that building one day to complement this set.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm glad all the pieces went towards the Sandcrawler and not towards Uncle Owen's house. Hopefully they'll make that building one day to complement this set.

I'd love to see them do it. No brainer now that we have a new Sandcrawler.

But what I really want is a new Yoda's Dagobah Hut to go with my X-Wing. >.<

With the new SW Rebels series I'm wondering if they'd be able to resist the temptation to visit Yoda at some point. At least they'd have a perfect excuse to make a new set if they did. Not that I'm hoping Rebels does... we've already seen way too many things like that in the SW expanded universe.

Top Bottom