• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

From Amazon UK:

1. Homer
2. Marge
3. Bart
4. Lisa
5. Maggie
6. Ned
7. Grampa
8. Ralph
9. Nelson
10. Apu
11. Chief Wiggum
12. Krusty
13. Itchy
14. Scratchy
15. Mr Burns
16. Milhouse

Does anyone think that Smithers's collecting Malibu Stacy dolls has anything to do with LEGO not making him? To be fair though, there were only 16 slots. It will be interesting if there are any future Simpsons sets and Smithers never gets made.

Good stuff on the Sandcrawler, I just read up the last few days. I got back to building after a couple day break and have started my LotR and Hobbit sets such as 2x Black Gate and Rivendell and now am on the 3rd floor of unrelated set, Haunted House.

Edit: OMG im no longer Junior :)

Congrats! You are no longer Duplo.

ghostmind

I was trying to figure out who that green-and-white astromech droid is in the Sandcrawler set, since it does not appear during the Lars homestead scene.
W9FRgA1.jpg

Turns out that it is R2-A5, one of the droids meandering around Mos Eisley when Ben & Luke come rolling up in Luke's landspeeder.
jELYqou.jpg
aCamUvE.jpg

An interesting choice, especially since they are releasing an RA-7 droid in 75051 Jedi Scout Fighter in the summer, which would have been a natural fit for the Sandcrawler.
SJ5MNQ7.jpg
XDWmCj4.jpg

75051 has a very odd minifigure mix - in addition to the aforementioned RA-7 droid, it also comes with an Ithorian Jedi, which could easily pass for Momaw Nadon from the Mos Eisley Cantina.
I2TXBMK.jpg
ibXF2Sm.jpg

It also comes with an unnamed astromech droid which looks suspiciously like R2-B1, one of the R2 units (that perished in Episode 1) onboard the Naboo Royal Cruiser.
aJtPqfA.jpg
C4z8Zlh.jpg

And it comes with JEK-47.

I was trying to figure out who that green-and-white astromech droid is in the Sandcrawler set, since it does not appear during the Lars homestead scene.
W9FRgA1.jpg

Turns out that it is R2-A5, one of the droids meandering around Mos Eisley when Ben & Luke come rolling up in Luke's landspeeder.
jELYqou.jpg
aCamUvE.jpg

An interesting choice, especially since they are releasing an RA-7 droid in 75051 Jedi Scout Fighter in the summer, which would have been a natural fit for the Sandcrawler.
SJ5MNQ7.jpg
XDWmCj4.jpg

75051 has a very odd minifigure mix - in addition to the aforementioned RA-7 droid, it also comes with an Ithorian Jedi, which could easily pass for Momaw Nadon from the Mos Eisley Cantina.
I2TXBMK.jpg
ibXF2Sm.jpg

It also comes with an unnamed astromech droid which looks suspiciously like R2-B1, one of the R2 units (that perished in Episode 1) onboard the Naboo Royal Cruiser.
aJtPqfA.jpg
C4z8Zlh.jpg

And it comes with JEK-47.

it might all make more sense once the new Yoda Chronicles comes out... or not.

Falch

Definitely getting the entire Simpsons minifigure collection. Not getting the house though, I'm not that big of a fan (plus I don't really have the room for it, nor do I want to start collecting another theme).

Build my microfighters yesterday:

JmMGKpa.jpg

Lots of fun. Decided not to get the other 2 microfighters since they're from the new trilogy, and I don't collect those.

Next buys/builds:
- Minifigure series 11 (ordering a box of 30 today)
- An unexpected gathering (still haven't build it)

Does anyone think that Smithers's collecting Malibu Stacy dolls has anything to do with LEGO not making him? To be fair though, there were only 16 slots. It will be interesting if there are any future Simpsons sets and Smithers never gets made.

I don't see why. Honestly I think they could play on that by having him come with a repaint/modified version of the little Lego Oscar Award.

I wonder how many additional Simpsons series they may release? They have like a million series of action figures, and the Kid Robot series too. I'd like to get a Disco Stu or a Poochy eventually, even though I'm not that into the Simpsons.

In fact, I've noticed that Lego has me interested in a lot of stuff I normally don't care about. I'm not a big Star Wars fan but I want that Sandcrawler like nobody's business, I got the Microfighter X-Wing and Millennium Falcon, I don't really like the Simpsons but I kinda want the house and def want the Itchy & Scratchy minifigs. I wish I'd been more aware of things when all the Harry Potter sets were available, since my GF is obsessed with HP :\

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

Nitemare1

I was all set to pull the trigger on UCS R2 this weekend (was waiting for them to go back in stock) until I saw the pics of the Sandcrawler. Damnit. What do I do now! :|

Ryuuroden

I was all set to pull the trigger on UCS R2 this weekend (was waiting for them to go back in stock) until I saw the pics of the Sandcrawler. Damnit. What do I do now! :|

Well if you really want that R2, it will be discontinued this year probably so you may want to get that first and hold off on the Sandcrawler.

Dragoshi1

Anyone know of sites for alternate builds for certain sets?

To clarify, are there any alternate builds out there for the Galactic Titan?

I don't see why. Honestly I think they could play on that by having him come with a repaint/modified version of the little Lego Oscar Award.

I wonder how many additional Simpsons series they may release? They have like a million series of action figures, and the Kid Robot series too. I'd like to get a Disco Stu or a Poochy eventually, even though I'm not that into the Simpsons.

In fact, I've noticed that Lego has me interested in a lot of stuff I normally don't care about. I'm not a big Star Wars fan but I want that Sandcrawler like nobody's business, I got the Microfighter X-Wing and Millennium Falcon, I don't really like the Simpsons but I kinda want the house and def want the Itchy & Scratchy minifigs. I wish I'd been more aware of things when all the Harry Potter sets were available, since my GF is obsessed with HP :\

I was trying to be subtle (maybe too subtle) about Smithers' suggested alternative lifestyle (being gay).

Yes, I started buying LEGO when the last of Harry Potter sets came out. There are a few minifigs I really want, plus Diagon Alley set.

These look so comical. They make me feel like someone got the shrink ray from Despicable me and shot their ships.

That's the exact look they are going with those. The anime term for it is Chibi or Super Deformed. The Millenium Falcon is the best of those. You could modify it a little and it would make a great micro build too.

But they're releasing a Mos Eisley set this year, complete with Luke knocking one back at the bar!

True. I think Mos Eisley is a pass for a couple reasons. Moe's bar (close to a real looking bar) is more based on reality as we all know what beer and getting drunk is as it's depicted in the cartoon. What drinks are served in Mos Eisley that we can get in real life? I was about to say it's licensed so it has a bit more leeway, but both are licensed IP. It's a bit similar to how LEGO makes certain types of guns. *shrug*

cassidyarch

Neo Member
That Sandcrawler is unreal. A real shame they didn't include that spooky silver RA-7 droid when they have the mold. I see the GONK droid made it in, though.

I'm going to have to drop $60 on the 75051 Jedi Scout Fighter. This is an evil ploy to get old-school Star Wars fans to buy another white/dark red prequel/spin-off ship just to get the classic figs.

I don't know what an Ithorian is, I know that guy as HAMMERHEAD--and I need that fig.

I was trying to be subtle (maybe too subtle) about Smithers' suggested alternative lifestyle (being gay).
Hahahaha holy shit that went waaaaay over my head

I'm going to have to drop $60 on the 75051 Jedi Scout Fighter. This is an evil ploy to get old-school Star Wars fans to buy another white/dark red prequel/spin-off ship just to get the classic figs.

I don't know what an Ithorian is, I know that guy as HAMMERHEAD--and I need that fig.

Ugh I feel the same way. I need that minifig!!

Zerojul

Juste finished building Simpsons house with my gf. Had a lot of fun, really enjoying the details in the different rooms. I really hope this sells well enough to ensure other sets in this line, it's to good to stop at 1 set and a minifig series...

Saw that in May they are opening a LEGO store in the mall across the street from the shopping center I work at now. Would love to apply there, but that is probably when my wife and I will wind up moving. It is maddening.

Oh yeah duh, hehehe I've got an interview at the Lego store in Glendale this Wednesday. I really hope I get it! I should just tell them my paychecks will go right back into the company's pocket hahaha

ghostmind

Oh yeah duh, hehehe I've got an interview at the Lego store in Glendale this Wednesday. I really hope I get it! I should just tell them my paychecks will go right back into the company's pocket hahaha

I think that is the store that LEGO-GAF contributor Chuck used to work at... small world.

Ponn

Banned
I'm getting a bit worried because I can't order from Lego Store till Friday. On top of that the things im looking at are all saying shipping in 30 days, so if the MM fig is still avail and I place an order and they don't ship anything for a couple weeks after MM fig runs out are they holding the fig for me since it was on the order or will they just say you are SOL?

ghostmind

I'm getting a bit worried because I can't order from Lego Store till Friday. On top of that the things im looking at are all saying shipping in 30 days, so if the MM fig is still avail and I place an order and they don't ship anything for a couple weeks after MM fig runs out are they holding the fig for me since it was on the order or will they just say you are SOL?

I would add something to your order (like a Mixel perhaps) that is currently in stock, so that they ship you it with the poly first, and then ship the back ordered stuff separately later.

Ponn

Banned
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if they would hold the whole order till everything was available or ship as available. I was actually going to order a couple of he easter bunny sets so that works out.

I would add something to your order (like a Mixel perhaps) that is currently in stock, so that they ship you it with the poly first, and then ship the back ordered stuff separately later.

I did this. My Mixel and Martian Manhunter shipped. My Palpatine's Arrest is on backorder.

From Brickset regarding the Sandcrawler.

Brickset said:
The marketing people in LEGO have been reading your comments, here and elsewhere, about the UCS labelling on this set. Here's what they have to say about it:

"The decision has been made to change the packaging for future “LEGO exclusive” Star Wars sets to include the UCS seal and de-link from the core Star Wars packaging. In addition to the packaging change, an update has been made to the building instructions. The building instructions will have additional pages detailing the model’s connection to the movie and its development process. Much as the Creator Expert badge differentiates the larger models from the core assortment, the goal of this change is to better communicate to builders that these sets represent our biggest building challenge in the LEGO Star Wars theme."

Extra pages talking about the connection to the movie and development of the model. I LOVE IT. I want this in all big sets. That is one of the best things about the instructions in Architecture sets, and I wish they did it in all sets. And maybe a profile on the designers too. It wouldn't be hard to do that at least in all sets. Just one page saying who designed it and a list of their recent work.

From Brickset regarding the Sandcrawler.

Extra pages talking about the connection to the movie and development of the model. I LOVE IT. I want this in all big sets. That is one of the best things about the instructions in Architecture sets, and I wish they did it in all sets. And maybe a profile on the designers too. It wouldn't be hard to do that at least in all sets. Just one page saying who designed it and a list of their recent work.

Yup, I love it too. The Cuusoo Mars Rover manual is just like that, fact & details, and it's amazing.

And ugh. Reading the comments on the Brickset article. People seem to get so uppity about everything. There is no pleasing some people. "It doesn't have a name plate, so it isn't really UCS. So I am not buying it." Whatever. Don't buy it.

I am glad they are going for the nice middle ground with this. It is huge and imposing and looks like a great build, and it's a huge playset to boot. It pleases the model people, but still the playset people.

EDIT: I do hope they do NOT go for the square bound instructions like the Architecture line though. They look nice, but are so difficult to use while building. Maybe use spiral bound instructions like the Best Star for the really huge UCS sets. Those mammoth books feel super, extra special.

Redberyl

Neo Member
It was the same way with me so I didn't renew after my year was up. I think it was because I signed for it online and that somehow screwed something that no one at BN was able to fix.

I had the same exact problem (signed up online, didn't receive coupon e-mails, contacted customer service online and via phone to no avail), was finally able to find a way around it by signing up for their regular marketing e-mails through their website.

Unfortunately I'm only getting the non-member 15% off coupons, but it's better than nothing.

No one claimed the coupon for BN, didn't use it. Store near home had Joker's Steamroller and Hulk Lab Smash and I almost used it on one of those, but decided to just keep saving for double VIP in April.

ghostmind

I like this news that LEGO is starting to pay more attention to the manuals in their premium sets. The Sea Cow has a single square-bound manual that feels a "step above" the quality of the cheaper sets.

I like this news that LEGO is starting to pay more attention to the manuals in their premium sets. The Sea Cow has a single square-bound manual that feels a "step above" the quality of the cheaper sets.

Square bound? Is it as difficult to open and use as Architecture stuff? If so, UGH.

At the same time, knowing it has a premium manual makes me want it more.

ghostmind

Square bound? Is it as difficult to open and use as Architecture stuff? If so, UGH.

At the same time, knowing it has a premium manual makes me want it more.

I've never built an Architecture set yet, but it is not "stiff".

Gachlk5.jpg

(from Eurobricks)

So not the best binding in the world, but a step up from a handful of flyer-type manuals IMO.

Ryuuroden

Gachlk5.jpg

(from Eurobricks)

So not the best binding in the world, but a step up from a handful of flyer-type manuals IMO.

I've built both architecture and sea cow. The Sea Cow booklet is a vast (ok that's an overstatement, but it is better) improvement on that type of binding. you can keep the pages open without breaking the binding and it won't close on you.

chidrock

I finished building the Sea Cow today, and the instruction manual was not a pain at all. When I first saw the pics of it I was worried it'd be like the manual for the Back to the Future set, but it wasn't. It wasn't as stiff and the paper was thinner. It might not hold up as well in the long run, but it was easy enough to deal with from start to finish. (the BttF book was annoying because it kept wanting to close)

Gachlk5.jpg

(from Eurobricks)

I've built both architecture and sea cow. The Sea Cow booklet is a vast (ok that's an overstatement, but it is better) improvement on that type of binding. you can keep the pages open without breaking the binding and it won't close on you.

I finished building the Sea Cow today, and the instruction manual was not a pain at all. When I first saw the pics of it I was worried it'd be like the manual for the Back to the Future set, but it wasn't. It wasn't as stiff and the paper was thinner. It might not hold up as well in the long run, but it was easy enough to deal with from start to finish. (the BttF book was annoying because it kept wanting to close)

Good to hear. And the manual looks really nice there. But I do worry about the binding in the long run.

Jesus H Christ that's the thickest Lego manual I have ever seen in my life. That is truly intimidating.

KWzw2rql.jpg

Aq7rR4v.jpg

Each of those boxes is about the size of boxes for many $70 sets like Bug Obliterator or Lord Business's Evil Lair.

The instruction book is huge. So huge it gets its own box inside the big main box along with all the little boxes. Super Star Destroyer was same way.

I am sure the Milennium Falcon UCS book is bigger, but I have never seen it in person.

Gachlk5.jpg

(from Eurobricks)

not looking good imho.
open it once and it will look hella used, open it a dozen times and it will start falling appart.
I read paperbacks without folding them by just easing them open and pearing in. works for reading because I have two free hands, but how am I supposed to build like that.

The new Captain America vs Hydra set may be my favorite $20 set yet, edging out the DC Lex Luthor power armor set by a hair.

After I finished building it, I wanted to go out and buy 2-3 more for my own little Hydra army with minir variations between each tank. Great build, nice figs, and it's play value is through the roof with it's 8 wheeled design.

I'll be keeping an eye out for more of these. I want at least 2 more. Hey, all the Marvel guys need something to fight, right? A Hydra force is a good start!

Top Bottom