• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

One day I will prepare a thorough guide to hiding LEGO purchases from your spouse. The only question will be...

How do I bind it?

I dread the day when my wife randomly decides to go through the guest room closet and finds the sealed Fire Brigade. Or sorts through the garage and finds the recently Amazon Warehouse purchase Millennium Falcon.

Ryuuroden

This fucking sucks, I just gotten to all my LotR backlog so now I'm sorting through my Mines of Moria set in order to pull out the characters b4 sorting all the pieces into bins and oh wait, the entire bag of all the characters that come with it was missing. I bought it ages ago clearance and it was sealed but apparently someone still broke it without it looking broken and stole a whole bag. It looks like the bag from the second booklet is missing too so thats all the characters.

This fucking sucks, I just gotten to all my LotR backlog so now I'm sorting through my Mines of Moria set in order to pull out the characters b4 sorting all the pieces into bins and oh wait, the entire bag of all the characters that come with it was missing. I bought it ages ago clearance and it was sealed but apparently someone still broke it without it looking broken and stole a whole bag. It looks like the bag from the second booklet is missing too so thats all the characters.

contact lego support. they most likely will help in a big way.

Ryuuroden

contact lego support. they most likely will help in a big way.

does anyone know if there were multiple bag 1's and 3's for mines of moria or just single bag or each number because those bags were the ones the figures were in and I just noticed bag 3 has a small hole in it, and I am wondering if that's how the thief removed the pieces if it was 1 bag

Just picked up the glider and metal beards duel! This is the most interesting set I have seen in a while. Loved the movie!

Would love the sea cow :(

Just picked up the glider and metal beards duel! This is the most interesting set I have seen in a while. Loved the movie!

Would love the sea cow :(

And in June...

70816-1.jpg

To say that I (and I am sure many others) am excited about this set is an understatement.

Ponn

Banned
LEGO-GAF needs another insider - good luck!

Are they hiring janitors? I would be the ultimate insider.

I just built the Spiderman truck heist and it is spectacular!

It is a very solidly built truck with more play points than first appears. Notice you can have both characters fighting on top of the truck. It's an instant diorama! This set is also great just as a bank truck or for use with other hero and city sets. It's going to look great among my modulars :)

I saw a review on this before I bought it and the dude kind of shit on it. I have no iea why because it has a lot going on with it. The bank truck alone is worth $20 IMO. The figures are just buttah.

Thanks for the review. Brick Show was pretty meh on it but I would like the Bank Truck for my growing superhero scene combined with the bank from the two-face/batmobile set and Daily Bugle. Thought this would go awesome with it and I prefer old school Doc Ock to the Ultimate version I got.

Ryuuroden

So i examined the bags close for the mines of moria. wow, first time I've seen this done which is how i missed it. Whoever stole the minifigs resealed the bags with a heat device which melted the packaging back together so that it was impossible to tell they had been opened unless looking super super close.

You know, I was trying to stick with only collecting the super hero line stuff but I'm going to have a hard time saying no to this

Bwahahaha...another victim. I planned on staying away from most Star Wars sets and just get one or two sets of a theme that looked good. I've gotten way too many non-original trilogy Star Wars sets. Only line I haven't crossed is Technic.

Bwahahaha...another victim. I planned on staying away from most Star Wars sets and just get one or two sets of a theme that looked good. I've gotten way too many non-original trilogy Star Wars sets. Only line I haven't crossed is Technic.

I have some old Technic sets, and have been itching for some of the new stuff. I look at them as a new challenge and fun, but then I look at the parts and realize I wont really reuse much of it and then I dont buy them.

I will cave someday, because they look really fun.

neonglow

I was at the store today looking at the new Hero Factory sets. Even though they have minifigures now, I still can't pull the trigger on them. The mechs still look awful and overpriced.

Zerojul

What are you guys getting during the upcoming double VIP period?
Hmmmh tough choice... Considering parisian restaurant, Ewok village, Seacow and R2. I'll pick two of those and maybe wait for May to get the rest of it. Are there any deals for May that we know of ?
Calling it right now, this will be the 2014 set of the year.
One of my most anticipated for sure !
So i examined the bags close for the mines of moria. wow, first time I've seen this done which is how i missed it. Whoever stole the minifigs resealed the bags with a heat device which melted the packaging back together so that it was impossible to tell they had been opened unless looking super super close.
Your story is scary, man :(

Rootbeer

Banned
So i examined the bags close for the mines of moria. wow, first time I've seen this done which is how i missed it. They took Jabba and the Gamorrean Guard but not the others. Whoever stole the minifigs resealed the bags with a heat device which melted the packaging back together so that it was impossible to tell they had been opened unless looking super super close.

You have my deepest sympathies because this is exactly what happened to me with my Jabba's Palace set. The bags were opened and very carefully resealed, but on close inspection do not match the seals on other bags. It seems sets with bigfigures are the most common targets for this type of abuse because they fetch good money on ebay or bricklink.

I wish someone would catch the evil fuck(s) who think they can get away with it. Amazon has no system for tracking this sort of abuse, I know because I tried to file a complaint about it. You would hope they'd have a system for matching complaints about missing items inside boxes to people who have returned items to amazon that subsequently end up on amazonwarehousedeals... but they don't. At least not yet.

I understand mistakes COULD happen, but if someone is returning tons of LEGO sets that should be a very clear red flag. I'm also not ruling out that amazon employees themselves could be the culprits, because they have to inspect returned or damaged items before they can be sold on warehousedeals. The perfect access for a minifigure thief.

I learned the hard way, but LEGO fans need to be very aware on this: If you purchase a set from amazon warehouse or from any other seller where you even mildly suspect that the box may have been opened... please do yourself a favor, and examine the contents for missing minifigs PRONTO.

You have lots of options, but it's better to react quickly especially if it's an older set, because LEGO may no be able to provide minifig replacements for some OOP stuff.

Finally, I just want to say that I feel amazon warehousedeals is a great resource for bargain hunters, but it's not without its pitfalls. Buy wisely. If the set contains rare or unusual minfigs (like bigfigs or figs with special heads), know what you are getting into. If it's a creator set or something like that? It's probably a safe bet.

Welp - Applied for a business analyst position at Lego Corporate for gigs. Let's see if anything happens there.

Good luck.

The Quinjet arrived today but I probably won't be making it up until Wednesday or Thursday. I also managed to pick up a Hawkeye poly bag on eBay for £2.50 total and Hulk for the helicarrier breakout set for £21.50 which I'm pretty happy about. Sold ones over the last most seem to go for around £30 so I think I got it at a good price.

I just need to pick up Caps and avenging cycle set and Nick Fury (my girlfriend says we can't have an Avengers set without him) and I'll have my complete set. I can't wait to get it built and display them all together.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Where can I buy CMFs from? I dont see any in the store

Target, LEGO Store, Some people say Walmarts have them, but I personally have never seen them. I have problems finding them at Targets any more.

Ryuuroden

Yeah seems I can get full replacements for all but one of the minifigs I care about. Seems I will have to find the cave troll on bricklink.

Rootbeer

Banned
Where can I buy CMFs from? I dont see any in the store

Target, LEGO Store, Some people say Walmarts have them, but I personally have never seen them. I have problems finding them at Targets any more.

LEGO Store is by far the best. Not only do they usually have good stock but sometimes the employees will help you -- or at the very least, they won't give you any shit for feeling up the packs.

I'd say TRU is second best. They are likely to have the minifig boxes up at the guest services desk. Don't be afraid to ask them to see the box. I've stood up there and felt through two entire boxes before, and sometimes I'll get an employee who will want to talk LEGO.

Lastly I'd suggest Target. They don't always have them in stock, but they do often enough to make them a good backup source.

If all else fails... I see them at Walgreens sometimes, but not all Walgreens have much of a toy section. Sometimes I see entire boxes, sometimes I see just one peg full. If you only see the later, you could always ask an employee if you can see the box. Walgreens may not be as receptive to pack-feeling as LEGO Retail stores or TRU though.

And if you are interested in finding a particular figure or collecting the entire 16 figure sets per series, you better get used to the thought of pack feeling... either that or spend considerably more money and end up with lots of duplicates.

Rootbeer

Banned
Guys, I have the chance to get 75038 Jedi Interceptor today for 20€ (MSRP is 30€). Is it worth it at that price ?

it's worth it at 30 so yeah it's worth it at 20.

if you see a set you want and it hits that magical 30% off (or more) mark... don't feel bad about jumping on it.

Good luck.

The Quinjet arrived today but I probably won't be making it up until Wednesday or Thursday. I also managed to pick up a Hawkeye poly bag on eBay for £2.50 total and Hulk for the helicarrier breakout set for £21.50 which I'm pretty happy about. Sold ones over the last most seem to go for around £30 so I think I got it at a good price.

I just need to pick up Caps and avenging cycle set and Nick Fury (my girlfriend says we can't have an Avengers set without him) and I'll have my complete set. I can't wait to get it built and display them all together.

All the Avenger stuff looks great together. The beefy, scaled Quinjet is a fantastic centerpiece for the minifigs.

Zerojul

it's worth it at 30 so yeah it's worth it at 20.

if you see a set you want and it hits that magical 30% off (or more) mark... don't feel bad about jumping on it.

Well my GF has 30% off of almost eveything in the french retail store she works at, and they have a very limited selection of lego sets ( a few SW, some LTM). Jedi interceptor is one of them, I was on the fence about getting it because it seemed a bit pricey, but I think I'm gonna get it while they have it in stock. Thanks for the advice :)

Sorry to hear about that bud.

This is not the first time that I've heard of this. I have a question for anyone who's ever been a victim of this. Does the outer factory seals look any different? or did they look normal? If normal, then that is a very scary thought, as I have a huge backlog. Having two kids, one still under two years of age, really sucks the Lego-building time away.

Fyi, I don't open anything in my backlog just in case of emergency. If something happens and I need to sell some of my backlog to pay for expenses, (obviously) I can get more money if they are still sealed than opened with sealed baggies.

Ryuuroden

Sorry to hear about that bud.

This is not the first time that I've heard of this. I have a question for anyone who's ever been a victim of this. Does the outer factory seals look any different? or did they look normal? If normal, then that is a very scary thought, as I have a huge backlog. Having two kids, one still under two years of age, really sucks the Lego-building time away.

Fyi, I don't open anything in my backlog just in case of emergency. If something happens and I need to sell some of my backlog to pay for expenses, (obviously) I can get more money if they are still sealed than opened with sealed baggies.

The original tape on the box tabs was pristine, uncut, and there was no evidence that it had been pulled away from the cardboard. It is completely possible to pull up the tape without ripping the cardboard because I have done it before and the tape was completely reusable. This seems to be what happened here. What I missed when I first opened the box was the fact that the thief had carefully opened the bags that had the minifigures in them as well as the bags within the bags and had taken out the weapons and minifigures and then they used some sort of hot press that resealed the plastic as if it had never been opened. I only figured this out after examining one of the bags I hadn't opened under a light and putting my face very close. It was very easy to miss, the difference between normal bags was that a tiny part of the plastic that should not be stuck together was stuck together. I don't think I would of seen it had I not had some inkling of what to look for. When I first posted, I had thought that a whole bag was taken but this was not the case. This guy basically made it impossible for retailers to detect.

LEGO Store is by far the best. Not only do they usually have good stock but sometimes the employees will help you -- or at the very least, they won't give you any shit for feeling up the packs.

I'd say TRU is second best. They are likely to have the minifig boxes up at the guest services desk. Don't be afraid to ask them to see the box. I've stood up there and felt through two entire boxes before, and sometimes I'll get an employee who will want to talk LEGO.

Lastly I'd suggest Target. They don't always have them in stock, but they do often enough to make them a good backup source.

If all else fails... I see them at Walgreens sometimes, but not all Walgreens have much of a toy section. Sometimes I see entire boxes, sometimes I see just one peg full. If you only see the later, you could always ask an employee if you can see the box. Walgreens may not be as receptive to pack-feeling as LEGO Retail stores or TRU though.

And if you are interested in finding a particular figure or collecting the entire 16 figure sets per series, you better get used to the thought of pack feeling... either that or spend considerably more money and end up with lots of duplicates.

Right on, thanks guys

Pure nostalgia is all I need.

A few classic Space sets that live my former childhood bedroom parent's office.

Oh man, I still remembering looking through the old Lego catalogues when I was a kid, drooling over those. I'd love to buy them just so I can relive the childhood memories I never had

Nick Fury's flying SHEILD car, Hawkeye's truck, and Captain America's motorcycle. They all scale well together, especially with the Quinjuet and Avengers team as a backdrop.

I was very impressed with the SHIELD truck (Hawkeye's truck) from Loki's Cosmic Cube escape. It's one nice truck. I just removed the flick fire missiles from the side to make it even better. :)

I'll pick up Fury's flying car as I've already got Hawkeye's truck and Cap's motorcycle from the Avengers set. Guess that set'll be bought in April lol.

And bring on Benny's Spaceship, can't wait to build that as Benny (or just the blue spaceman in general) was always my favorite when I was a kid. Definitely don't know where my mom put my old LEGO, but I did have both the blue and red ones. I always put the visors on the helmets because I liked sliding them up and down.

Wow. That was fast. Glad I went and got him.\

At the same time, this probably shows LEGO there is a big demand for the entire JLA. New UCS style JLA Watchtower incoming!

Holy cow, didn't even make it through the middway point of the month, I knew it'd be popular but not THAT popular. Now you know what you must do Lego.

I should have gotten another one...alas. I'm happy I got one, he's sitting on my desk right now.

secret rob

Neo Member
Hope you all got it if you wanted. If not, I suspect the popularity will have this made into keychains much like the minifig Hulk.

http://www.fbtb.net/2014/03/11/martian-manhunter-no-more/

"Due to overwhelming demand, the LEGO Shop Martian Manhunter promotion has been ended early for both the US and Canada."

I got my sea cow and other items in on Friday (I bought at midnight on 3/1) and they didn't include a Martian Manhunter. Luckily customer service sent one out since they forgot to include it, but not a surprise they "sold" out so quickly.

This was the second order in a row where Lego has forgotten something in the box. Last time it was an entire set, but they have been quick and easy to work with getting it fixed.

Out of MM already? Jesus. Guess I won't be making any of the purchases I was planning at the Lego store this weekend and will wait for Amazon or Walmart sales.

Top Bottom