• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Rootbeer

Banned
Question about the new Juniors sets... if anyone knows the answer.

Are the pieces all printed or do they still contain stickers? Considering they are going for a very young demographic here, I was hoping all printed. Any ideas?

I ask because the Batman and TMNT Juniors sets have some interesting pieces if they are prints, if not, i'm still on the fence :p

Also, Page 77 first post, whoohoo!
The new Captain America vs Hydra set may be my favorite $20 set yet, edging out the DC Lex Luthor power armor set by a hair.

After I finished building it, I wanted to go out and buy 2-3 more for my own little Hydra army with minir variations between each tank. Great build, nice figs, and it's play value is through the roof with it's 8 wheeled design.

I'll be keeping an eye out for more of these. I want at least 2 more. Hey, all the Marvel guys need something to fight, right? A Hydra force is a good start!
Definitely, I already have one and I'm happy with it. But once it starts hitting that sweet $~13 sale price that a lot of the other $20 SH sets have, buying another 1 (or 2) makes it a pretty nice army builder, and those extra Cap and Red Skull minifigs would be good for trades or gifts.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I've never built an Architecture set yet, but it is not "stiff".

Gachlk5.jpg

(from Eurobricks)

So not the best binding in the world, but a step up from a handful of flyer-type manuals IMO.

This sucks IMO. I hate when a book looks worn. This will definitely happen here now.

Kworn

Banned
My word guys

I was watching the Lego movies yesterday and half way through I thought, well thats weird that there are no Star Wars lego WTF...then it happened. I was so stoked.

ghostmind

This sucks IMO. I hate when a book looks worn. This will definitely happen here now.

Long-term I wonder about it as well.

If one were not concerned with keeping things exactly as they bought it, one could take it to a copy/binding service and have it redone as a wire-bound book (and have the front and back reproduced with thicker cardstock). I think that the UCS Falcon, Death Star, SSD got it right when it comes to instructions formatting.

Long-term I wonder about it as well.

If one were not concerned with keeping things exactly as they bought it, one could take it to a copy/binding service and have it redone as a wire-bound book (and have the front and back reproduced with thicker cardstock). I think that the UCS Falcon, Death Star, SSD got it right when it comes to instructions formatting.

You can just always download instruction via digital and use tablet .. I do that sometimes on big set and we need to share book, I would use digital while my daughter get the actual instruction.

You can just always download instruction via digital and use tablet .. I do that sometimes on big set and we need to share book, I would use digital while my daughter get the actual instruction.

My daughters and I have a pretty good system while co building.

We look at the instruction picture, then they finds the parts for the first panel. I do the assembly. Then we switch for the next panel. Sometimes they'll do part hunting for several panels before we switch. It works out rather well!

Ryuuroden

not looking good imho.
open it once and it will look hella used, open it a dozen times and it will start falling appart.
I read paperbacks without folding them by just easing them open and pearing in. works for reading because I have two free hands, but how am I supposed to build like that.

the sea cow manual due to its size works pretty much the same as if you had 2 hands, it stays open on its own and you don't have to force the binding at all. My book looks like it hasn't been touched even after building the set once. Yeah I do agree with the comments on the binding tho, I would have still preferred a non-glue method, but at least gravity holds the pages of this book open and the binding doesn't break. Also the images for building are far enough away from the binding that you don't have to force it open to see the entire build instructions either.

I went to the Lego Store this weekend with plans on getting R2D2, but they were out of stock. Walked out with Town Hall instead. The Sea Cow on display looked awesome. I'll have to pick that up at a later date. Lego Movie figures were out of stock as well, but that wasn't a surprise.

Darn clutch power!

The new Captain America vs Hydra set may be my favorite $20 set yet, edging out the DC Lex Luthor power armor set by a hair.

After I finished building it, I wanted to go out and buy 2-3 more for my own little Hydra army with minir variations between each tank. Great build, nice figs, and it's play value is through the roof with it's 8 wheeled design.

I'll be keeping an eye out for more of these. I want at least 2 more. Hey, all the Marvel guys need something to fight, right? A Hydra force is a good start!

I definitely like the Hydra set, but after the first one the Red Skull and Captain America are overkill. I really wish for a Hydra battle pack. I've been musing over buying multiples of that set and selling the redundant Red Skull and Captain America minifigs.

neonglow

I built a couple Super Heroes sets.

Batman: Man-Bat Attack is a disappointing build. All the pieces are used for the front of the helicopter and the back portion of the helicopter is bare bones. I liked how they made the tail, but it was done better in Batwing Battle Over Gotham City. I'd only get this set for the minifigures.

Superman: Battle of Smallville was a surprisingly fun build. The jeep that comes with the set is as close as we're getting to a real army. The design of it is similar to how they made the jeeps in the Indiana Jones sets. Just take off the flick missile/radar thing on the back. The Kryptonian ship is odd looking but it does represent the design from the movie well. Nothing too complex from the build but it's done well. I'd recommend this set if you can get it for around $20ish.

I built a couple Super Heroes sets.

Batman: Man-Bat Attack is a disappointing build. All the pieces are used for the front of the helicopter and the back portion of the helicopter is bare bones. I liked how they made the tail, but it was done better in Batwing Battle Over Gotham City. I'd only get this set for the minifigures.

Superman: Battle of Smallville was a surprisingly fun build. The jeep that comes with the set is as close as we're getting to a real army. The design of it is similar to how they made the jeeps in the Indiana Jones sets. Just take off the flick missile/radar thing on the back. The Kryptonian ship is odd looking but it does represent the design from the movie well. Nothing too complex from the build but it's done well. I'd recommend this set if you can get it for around $20ish.

I would be all over that set for $20. I think $30-35 is my sweet spot for it. I like the figures a lot.

Can't remember but what did people think of the Bug Obliterator? Saw it on clearance at Wal Mart for 49. They also had the Vermin Vaporizer for 35 and...quite a few other Galaxy Squads sets on clearance.

neonglow

Can't remember but what did people think of the Bug Obliterator? Saw it on clearance at Wal Mart for 49. They also had the Vermin Vaporizer for 35 and...quite a few other Galaxy Squads sets on clearance.

The Bug Obliterator is an alright set. It has some unique builds for the wings but I wasn't really fond of the overall design. I'd only get it if you can get 50% off.

That being said, if you really want any of these sets, I'd get them now. They're already out of print.

I have a Target promo coupon that expires tomorrow for $5 off any purchase. While i am hoping Target matches Walmart/Amazon on the Man Bat for $16 thus making it $11, what of the new Super Hero sets are people recommending? I already have the Riddler & Joker sets from the new wave.

Nitemare1

It was a tough decision but I decided to put sandcrawler on hold until late summer maybe fall and I ordered UCS R2 and a Delorean while they are still available. No one told me this hobby was going to be so stressful! :/

It was a tough decision but I decided to put sandcrawler on hold until late summer maybe fall and I ordered UCS R2 and a Delorean while they are still available. No one told me this hobby was going to be so stressful! :/

It is stressful playing catch up on awesome sets, but once caught up it gets a little more relaxing.

And I am stressing about needing Sydney Opera House, Simpsons, and Sea Cow. Now add Sandcrawler. Ugh. And I was all caught up.

But great choice on getting UCS R2. Such a fantastic set.

So I've gotten the wolf, gator, and gorilla legend beast sets so far and have to say if you only get one, get the gorilla. It has the best build, usable pieces, and overall function. The lion or eagle don't interest me one bit though.

The hidden plus to all these sets are the printed eye/face parts.

ghostmind

Here's a first rumor on how "May the Fourth" is going to work this year, at least in Europe:

• The sale will run a full week - from April 28th to May 4th
  • Sandcrawler will be released on April 28th
  • Free TC-4 polybag with purchase of LEGO Star Wars sets (qualifying purchase amount not known yet)
  • Discounts of 10% to 20% on specific Star Wars sets (do not have the list yet)
  • Contest(s) to win a selection of UCS sets

For North America, we will know for sure regarding the polybag (and qualifying spend) in a few weeks, when the May calendar is released.

neonglow

I'd make a list of all the current sets you want and then start making a monthly budget. LEGO sets don't really disappear overnight and we have a good indication on what's gonna go out of print. Most sets only disappear in the run up towards Christmas.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
What are you guys getting during the upcoming double VIP period?

Thinking about Palace Cinema or Parisian Restaurant. Don't want to spend tooooo much since I need to save up for the Sandcrawler.

neonglow

Thinking about Palace Cinema or Parisian Restaurant. Don't want to spend tooooo much since I need to save up for the Sandcrawler.

Palace Cinema and possibly VW Van. The van is on it's way out.

Parisian Restaurant is around for a long time, but it's very highly recommended. Such a tightly designed building, and such great fun to build. Easily outclasses Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium for me.

Either VW van or Grand Emporium. Decided to wait a while on the Sand Crawler.

Jimbro72

For me, probably Orthanc and Simpsons house. Maybe the Parisian Restaurant, too, but I may wait on that until the next double pts and instead grab some of the smaller store exclusive sets I want.

Probably some more Architecture pieces though I should probably also get one of the Princess Duplo for my goddaughter who's turning three. She requested Cinderella after being in love with her Little Mermaid set that I got her for Christmas.

So either this set: Cinderella's Carriage or this set: Cinderella's Castle.

Or heck, may just go for the Sea Cow.

I just built the Spiderman truck heist and it is spectacular!

It is a very solidly built truck with more play points than first appears. Notice you can have both characters fighting on top of the truck. It's an instant diorama! This set is also great just as a bank truck or for use with other hero and city sets. It's going to look great among my modulars :)

I saw a review on this before I bought it and the dude kind of shit on it. I have no iea why because it has a lot going on with it. The bank truck alone is worth $20 IMO. The figures are just buttah.

One day I will prepare a thorough guide to hiding LEGO purchases from your spouse. The only question will be...

How do I bind it?

Make sure you spread out the hiding places. You don't want her to find it all in one huge stash. Leave the ones that have a 50% clearance sticker in the easier to find spots too. :) We moved several months ago and I basically have most of my stash in moving boxes. I had close to a dozen medium sized boxes and a few large moving boxes containing unopened sets. O_O

Maybe leave some clues that you're hiding something like a female/male friend relationship, that way when she finds out it's only LEGO and there is no female/male friend fling the LEGO won't seem so bad.

The Bug Obliterator is an alright set. It has some unique builds for the wings but I wasn't really fond of the overall design. I'd only get it if you can get 50% off.

That being said, if you really want any of these sets, I'd get them now. They're already out of print.

What!? Bug Obliterator is all kind of awesome and looks great too!

nNrSN6cl.jpg

Top Bottom