• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

kapowza

crap! woke up to a smashed x-wing this morning, the wee stand I'd made and then reversed to have it pointing down from the top of my bookcase seems to have come apart. I knew I should have used Luke instead of Porkins.

Zerojul

My mother found the 6866 Wolverine chopper for me, in a little store in her little town in the French country. Not only that but she found it at MSRP (30€). I've been looking everywhere for it in Paris and online and couldn't get it for less than 70-80€ at best. It seems like everyone wants this set now that it's OOP. Anyway, I feel like I'm getting the best deal ever :)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
My mother found the 6866 Wolverine chopper for me, in a little store in her little town in the French country. Not only that but she found it at MSRP (30€). I've been looking everywhere for it in Paris and online and couldn't get it for less than 70-80€ at best. It seems like everyone wants this set now that it's OOP. Anyway, I feel like I'm getting the best deal ever :)

I picked that up for about £15, it's a nice little set. Best part is getting Wolverine, Magneto and Deadpool minifigs though :)

Zerojul

I picked that up for about £15, it's a nice little set. Best part is getting Wolverine, Magneto and Deadpool minifigs though :)
£15 is 18€ so that's a very good deal IMO !
You're absolutely right about the minifigs, that's why I wanted it so badly, and I guess that's why it's getting so absurdly expensive on ebay/Amazon/BL/whatever. I like this version of Mags better than the upcoming X-Men set version and I think Deadpool won't be seen again soon in a Lego set :)

Zerojul

Guys I ordered this on Brickowl for 25€ :

HMXln8G.jpg

Is that a good idea ?

DANG that bullet train looks SICK and it comes with a grip of track! I take it, though, looking at the RC controller pictures on the box, that the new trains don't run on the same track as the old ones? That... bums me out a lot. If the new track isn't the metal stuff like the old one that means my current train will forever be trapped in a shitty little oval :(

It does not come with any tracks, nor any of the power functions to make it go. Track is relatively cheap to get though.

The new trains should work on the old track I think. They are the same width, but they just don't draw power from the rails anymore.

And if you like the train, I did a time lapse video of it being built if you are interested.

jonnyrockets

Neo Member
Maersk is a godly build on the main engine part, but the stickers going across multiple pieces is just awful. The last two cars with the cargo boxes were cool, but not amazing. The main engine is why that set is so awesome.

Thankfully, it looks like the new cargo train this summer has a similar build to Maersk.

Zerojul

That price does not seem right... what was the seller's rating?

That's what I thought too, new seller with no rating but I thought it was worth a shot. His other prices seemed quite normal to me and he didn't sell dozens of those (I think mine was the only one he had). I'll post here if I ever get my minifig, if I don't I won't feel too bad for that price. Wait and see :)

ghostmind

I still plan on getting a second Horizon Express, so I can "complete" the train, but I am waiting for a big sale - probably pull the trigger when 3x VIP.

Speaking of stickers, am I the only one who hates them?

Man, I really hate them. I'm not good at keeping my hands steady so I always screw them up.

Man, I really hate them. I'm not good at keeping my hands steady so I always screw them up.

No, you are not the only one. I hate putting stickers on, but the one thing I like about stickers is that I do not have to put them on, so then I can keep a piece bare to reuse in MOCs later.

It does not come with any tracks, nor any of the power functions to make it go. Track is relatively cheap to get though.

The new trains should work on the old track I think. They are the same width, but they just don't draw power from the rails anymore.

And if you like the train, I did a time lapse video of it being built if you are interested.

I meant the upcoming $150 bullet train comes with a grip of track. That one you built looks awesome too though!

As for the metal track, that's cool that the new trains will still run on it, but it looks like unless I somehow retrofit my old train to work with the new remote control and tracks, it'll be reeeally expensive to ever buy more track for it. (The old ones got their power from the rails like normal model train sets)

Here's the train I have:
picture%20154.jpg

I never use stickers so I can reuse parts. I do keep the stickers in case I ever change my mind and want to build a model that I won't plan on disassembling for a long time. Most models look fine without stickers, but the stickers definitely enhance the model.

I like to build my own stuff so reuse of bricks is very important.

I went to one of my local LEGO stores today with my girls. Was hoping to get another Martian Manhunter because I'm weird like that.

Anyway, the clerk actually asked if I wanted two since I had both girls with me. Moral of the story? Find some kids (hopefully yours) and take them to the LEGO store.

Something that's been bothering me and I bet people here know:

I know Lego use to, or still does, goes by a rule where they are only producing a certain number of different piece types. No more or less.

Do they still follow this rule? And what is their magic number?

Jimbro72

I went to one of my local LEGO stores today with my girls. Was hoping to get another Martian Manhunter because I'm weird like that.

Anyway, the clerk actually asked if I wanted two since I had both girls with me. Moral of the story? Find some kids (hopefully yours) and take them to the LEGO store.

Something similar happened to me at a LEGO store last year except I didn't even have my girls with me. Clerk asked me if the sets I was buying were for me or for my kids and I responded with "both". Clerk then asked how many kids I had to which I replied 2 and he proceeded to throw in 2 of the freebie figure of the month into my bag of other stuff. They definitely have some awesome employees working at their stores.

I never use stickers so I can reuse parts. I do keep the stickers in case I ever change my mind and want to build a model that I won't plan on disassembling for a long time. Most models look fine without stickers, but the stickers definitely enhance the model.

I like to build my own stuff so reuse of bricks is very important.

I recently purchased the F1 set and simply felt the stickers ruined the purity of the build, so i stacked them in a box (have about 2 boxes full of stickers)
Thinking maybe one day i may use them, but ever since i started (late 89), i have never applied a single one :)
And while some models may feel enhanced with the sticker placement, i never found them to be essential to any build, .... that plus the brick re-usability :p

Jimbro72

I'm on the flip side of things, I put all my stickers on every set I've ever built over the last 15 yrs. Mostly because if I build it, it's meant for long term display somewhere in my collection room and also, I don't MOC, so I'm ok with not having those parts not be sticker free. If I was someone who after building a set tore it down and added the parts into a main collective then yes, I would probably refrain from using most stickers. But just because I always use them, doesn't mean I like using them, as some of them are a huge pain to apply properly.

Well, that was FAST. Doctor Who Cuusoo project reached 10k. I highly suspect time travel hijinx was involved to reach it that fast.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/16291

thumb640x360.png

Like Sherlock, I doubt it'll get approved but anything can happen. Also, like Sherlock, I'll probably buy this set if it ever comes to fruition.

For now, I might have better luck with MOC'ing some minifigs with the upcoming Agents sets and probably from the Lego Movie sets for suits and all.

Draxal

Like Sherlock, I doubt it'll get approved but anything can happen. Also, like Sherlock, I'll probably buy this set if it ever comes to fruition.

For now, I might have better luck with MOC'ing some minifigs with the upcoming Agents sets and probably from the Lego Movie sets for suits and all.

Since Lego specifically gave it the okay, I can see a small set getting through.

Since Lego specifically gave it the okay, I can see a small set getting through.

If it's as small as say the Minecraft sets, then at most, it'll probably be the TARDIS and most likely Eleven, Amy & Rory as the minifigs. Not sure they'd make the other Doctors or companions but we'll see.

Want to drive collectors mad? Make 12 different versions of the sets. One for each Doctor and their companion.

Even more maddening? Add in the additional 1-time companions from an episode from the corresponding Doctor's season.

Bonus if you have Twelve and Capaldi's other roles on DW in one set.

Draxal

If it's as small as say the Minecraft sets, then at most, it'll probably be the TARDIS and most likely Eleven, Amy & Rory as the minifigs. Not sure they'd make the other Doctors or companions but we'll see.

I think Wetwired's Cuusoo hits the sweetspot, with 4-5 minifigs. If it sells you can make sequels sets like they did with Minecraft.

Even more maddening? Add in the additional 1-time companions from an episode from the corresponding Doctor's season.

Bonus if you have Twelve and Capaldi's other roles on DW in one set.

Safest bet if Doctor Who LEGO takes off? A TARDIS set, and then a line of CMF with all the Doctors and some monsters.

Is there a place to order the joints from the Ninjago mech on the Lego site that I'm missing or do I have to use a 3rd party? I totally want to build my own mech now. Also all this talk about the trains has me wanting to upgrade my old one to work with the new remotes and tracks, do lego sell just the remote or the powered wheels, or will I again have to 3rd party that?

Well, that was FAST. Doctor Who Cuusoo project reached 10k. I highly suspect time travel hijinx was involved to reach it that fast.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/16291

thumb640x360.png
One thing that's bothered me about this, and it getting so much attention, is the actual build itself seems really... aimless? Like what is the actual set here? The TARDIS? The Matt Smith control center? The Tennant control center? K-9? The Daleks? Just a bunch of minifigures?

All the other sets I've seen on the site have a very defined "this is what the set is" with pictures or renders or something, the Delorean, the Ecto 1, you knew what you were supporting, but this Dr Who one is just all over the place. :\

Is there a place to order the joints from the Ninjago mech on the Lego site that I'm missing or do I have to use a 3rd party? I totally want to build my own mech now. Also all this talk about the trains has me wanting to upgrade my old one to work with the new remotes and tracks, do lego sell just the remote or the powered wheels, or will I again have to 3rd party that?

Train motor.
AAA battery box
Remote control.

Cheapest way to get the parts since you already have track. There is a rechargeable battery pack as well.

If you want new track and all the power functions, buying one of the City train sets gets you everything including new train parts.

No offense to Sherlock, but I think Doctor Who has a wider appeal and potential customer base. :)

Safest bet if Doctor Who LEGO takes off? A TARDIS set, and then a line of CMF with all the Doctors and some monsters.

I love that idea, but highly doubt it even if no new moulds would be needed.

No offense to Sherlock, but I think Doctor Who has a wider appeal and potential customer base. :)

Actually, the main issue with Sherlock is not so much as the fanbase, but the fact that since the series takes place in present day London, how do you make that distinctly Sherlock? All you would need to do is build a Creator versions of probably Piccadilly (as a modular perhaps), Big Ben and the London Eye.

Even the minifigs you can MOC tbh.

I just want to recreate Dinosaurs on a Spaceship in LEGO form, that's all I want actually. Brian Williams needs to come with a trowel and lunchbox.

We were visiting with my folks earlier this week and decided to dig into some old slides.

I thought some of you might get a kick of this shot of me in 1977, enjoying some LEGO action. About 8 months after this I got my first "Space" set.

Zerojul

We were visiting with my folks earlier this week and decided to dig into some old slides.

I thought some of you might get a kick of this shot of me in 1977, enjoying some LEGO action. About 8 months after this I got my first "Space" set.

It's very nice ! 1977 is the year I was born. Strange thing to think that those bricks have been part of our lives for so long :)

One thing that's bothered me about this, and it getting so much attention, is the actual build itself seems really... aimless? Like what is the actual set here? The TARDIS? The Matt Smith control center? The Tennant control center? K-9? The Daleks? Just a bunch of minifigures?

All the other sets I've seen on the site have a very defined "this is what the set is" with pictures or renders or something, the Delorean, the Ecto 1, you knew what you were supporting, but this Dr Who one is just all over the place. :

Yes, it's basically just 'make Doctor Who Lego'. The one that had the TARDIS that opened out into the control room was a much better set.

Top Bottom