• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Ponn

Banned
That was the movie version so it's likely we'll see a more classic comic book version of Green Lantern. Much like the flashlight version spotted. Too bad with the failure of the Green Lantern movie, it's unlikely we'll see a Green Lantern corp set.

That would be so incredibly cool if it had a green bulb for the light.

Nitemare1

I've always hated this kind of behavior but I'm honestly thinking about keeping MM in the bag and not opening him. What am I becoming! :(

LEGO Cuusoo 21108 Ghostbusters : Arm Patch (Both arms printed) by nacmcustoms, on Flickr

Looks like this guy is filling a gap in the market, custom printed Ghostbuster arms

I didn't realize they also did some custom minifigs such as Kick-Ass. I saw this minifig a few weeks ago and flipped out. I really want it as quality and look is phenomenal, but it's way to pricey. I think it was around $30 from minfigures.uk (by NACM) or something. The quality looks super great and it was a limited run, but $30 + tax + shipping. Ugh.

The more I think about Galaxy Squad and Alien Conquest, the more upset I get that AC's second wave was cancelled. AC was the better theme.

Galaxy Squad can beat up Alien Conquest any day! Dem are fighting words! :)
I liked both, but I really dig the human minifigs in GS more.

I don't know, Alien Conquest, while cool in nostalgia way (so is the Galaxy Squad), I find most of the set to be pretty boring.

I liked the tripod thingies and yeah, I loved the retro vibe.

I've always hated this kind of behavior but I'm honestly thinking about keeping MM in the bag and not opening him. What am I becoming! :(

You are becoming Lord Business! If you don't plan on selling it the open it. If you won't play and display it, then keep it sealed and sell it eventually. Well, if they ever make a keychain out of it, you can enjoy him that way.

Ponn

Banned
The more I think about Galaxy Squad and Alien Conquest, the more upset I get that AC's second wave was cancelled. AC was the better theme.

I only have the Mothership but my main problem with that is I had to tear it down pretty quickly because it was really unwieldly and did not display well at all. I can certainly see kids enjoying it, and the figs in that set and from what I seen in the other sets look great but it takes alot of work to display them. On the otherhand the couple Galaxy Squad sets I have put together so far display easily and with little footprint needed.

neonglow

I really liked the ADU side of Alien Conquest. They fit well within a City theme and could act just like a blue version of the CDC. I didn't really care for any of the alien spaceships. Wish LEGO would publish the instructions to cancelled sets.

Chuckie

I only have the Mothership but my main problem with that is I had to tear it down pretty quickly because it was really unwieldly and did not display well at all. I can certainly see kids enjoying it, and the figs in that set and from what I seen in the other sets look great but it takes alot of work to display them. On the otherhand the couple Galaxy Squad sets I have put together so far display easily and with little footprint needed.

Lol..yeah that mothership really is a mother..... It is HUGE. I bought it at a discount and then I made it at home and was like....oh dear...what am I gonna do with this?

I think the Tripod is the best of that series. Not too big and easy to display (and looks really cool).

Alien conquest was awesome. Very retro, beautiful colors, but I wondered if it really needed a second series. Although I would love to see the designs for them.

Lol..yeah that mothership really is a mother..... It is HUGE. I bought it at a discount and then I made it at home and was like....oh dear...what am I gonna do with this?

I think the Tripod is the best of that series. Not too big and easy to display (and looks really cool).

Alien conquest was awesome. Very retro, beautiful colors, but I wondered if it really needed a second series. Although I would love to see the designs for them.

Tripods got me back into Lego. Alien Conquest will always hold a special place in my heart for that reason alone!

Plus the headgrabbers are just about the greatest thing Lego ever made.

jadedm17

You know, I was trying to stick with only collecting the super hero line stuff but I'm going to have a hard time saying no to this

Bwahahaha...another victim. I planned on staying away from most Star Wars sets and just get one or two sets of a theme that looked good. I've gotten way too many non-original trilogy Star Wars sets. Only line I haven't crossed is Technic.

I planned on only buying the TMNT sets, but really knew the can of worms I was opening.
Then I got sucked into the Creator line and impulsively bought Lex Luthor's Power Armour on sale.
Of course recently I had to buy the Delorean.

This will be my first big buy, I know it.

Tripods got me back into Lego. Alien Conquest will always hold a special place in my heart for that reason alone!

Plus the headgrabbers are just about the greatest thing Lego ever made.

The only positive thing about a theme not doing well is heavy discounts. LEGO store had a ton of the tripod sets at 50% off at the end of the run. The tripod is probably my favorite of Alien Conquest. I don't have the ADU mobile headquarters, but I heard it was really good.
Oooh...I forgot about the head clingers. Those were cool!

ghostmind

Alien Conquest will probably be as close to the War of the Worlds theme that we will ever get, so as much as I like Galaxy Squad, AC is tops for me.

Of course if LEGO were to create a Victorian steampunk theme, complete with mechanical walker, I may be convinced to reconsider.

robochimp

My son and I have been building the alien conquest sets I snagged on clearance.

We just built the Alien Mothership, we previously built the tripod and smaller alien ship.

I really like the alien minifigs, the alien commander is awesome. I've still got the mobile headquarters hidden away.

Snaku

Banned
Just took a quick trip to my local TRU now that S@H sold out of CMF series 13. Out if six bags I pulled, only three were new figures:

- Taco Tuesday Man
- Wiley Fusebot
- Marsha, Quern of the Mermaids

The three duplicates I pulled were:

- Panda Guy
- Wiley Fusebot
- Larry the Barista

If anyone is looking for those three figures and wants to trade, let me know.

So I ended up getting Good Cop, Where Are My Pants Guy, and Hard Hat Emmet. Only dupe was another Taco Tuesday Guy.

Anybody want a Taco Tuesday Guy?

Coworker may have gotten the LEGO bug from me. I had brought in my bookstore MOC the other week to show coworkers and they all loved it. So another manager there told me today that he just had Sydney Opera House delivered to his house right before he came in. I asked if it was the tiny Architecture one. He said it was the big boy.

Well, if you are going to dive into the hobby, might as well dive right into the deep end.

He was excited for his shift to end and get home to build it. His vacation starts tonight, and he was excited to try a new hobby. I may have rubbed off on a few coworkers now. Another person there was brandishing a Unikitty keychain the other day.

Coworker may have gotten the LEGO bug from me. I had brought in my bookstore MOC the other week to show coworkers and they all loved it. So another manager there told me today that he just had Sydney Opera House delivered to his house right before he came in. I asked if it was the tiny Architecture one. He said it was the big boy.

Well, if you are going to dive into the hobby, might as well dive right into the deep end.

He was excited for his shift to end and get home to build it. His vacation starts tonight, and he was excited to try a new hobby. I may have rubbed off on a few coworkers now. Another person there was brandishing a Unikitty keychain the other day.

LEGO-GAF can still get partial credit by association to you.
This is truly a golden age for LEGO. I can't imagine it getting any bigger for them after The LEGO Movie. Well, it could in China if demand for the real thing over knockoffs goes up.

LEGO has a huge hit with Uni-kitty. I wonder if they can do a Uni-kitty theme like My Little Pony. I'd buy a few of those.

wetwired

I've been tempted to bite the bullet on the Parisian restaurant all month, Martian Manhunter minifig is still available in Australia...for now. Someone talk me out of it.

I've been tempted to bite the bullet on the Parisian restaurant all month, Martian Manhunter minifig is still available in Australia...for now. Someone talk me out of it.
20130915-190532.jpg

If you have regrets, you can always get one of the pad printed customs people make. I think as time goes on, we'll see more high quality pad printed custom minifigs.

Also, I believe LEGO will make him into a keychain.

You do realize that ALMOST ALL incarnations of Justice League had Martian Manhunter in them?

wetwired

If you have regrets, you can always get one of the pad printed customs people make. I think as time goes on, we'll see more high quality pad printed custom minifigs.

Also, I believe LEGO will make him into a keychain.

You do realize that ALMOST ALL incarnations of Justice League had Martian Manhunter in them?

tempted to do that for the green lantern and green arrow, they're last piece of the puzzle

neonglow

tempted to do that for the green lantern and green arrow, they're last piece of the puzzle

Green Lantern will show up eventually. I don't think it'll be a set where he's the main focus though. I can see him getting packaged with New 52 Superman fighting against Bizarro or some other Superman villian.

If only that Green Lantern movie hadn't bombed. We could have had him in an Architecture Studio or Creator set full of translucent green bricks.

It still weirds me out that if you get all the marvel sets this year as well as last years, you'll have most of the Marvel side of the Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 2 cast... Heck I'm surprised Modok and Taskmaster are even being made.

neonglow

It still weirds me out that if you get all the marvel sets this year as well as last years, you'll have most of the Marvel side of the Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 2 cast... Heck I'm surprised Modok and Taskmaster are even being made.

It's actually planned that way. Marvel has final say on their side of the roster and I'm sure they tell LEGO which minifigures they want to promote. It's all about cross-promotional synergy with their television shows and movies. Expect next year's sets to have some of the following: Doctor Strange, Dormammu, Ghost Rider, She-Hulk, Shuma-Gorath, Super-Skrull or X-23?

Did anyone buy this set in 2012? It's all the rage now because of Benny.

Green Lantern will show up eventually. I don't think it'll be a set where he's the main focus though. I can see him getting packaged with New 52 Superman fighting against Bizarro or some other Superman villian.

If only that Green Lantern movie hadn't bombed. We could have had him in an Architecture Studio or Creator set full of translucent green bricks.

I expect Green Arrow to show up with a Batman set someday. Hopefully no Bat vehicle, an Arrow Plane or something. :) Hopefully Black Canary too!

They still have a bunch of B+ super heroes left for DC:
Cyborg (Teen Titans, but part of new DC 52 universe in Justice League)
Teen Titans
Supergirl
Superboy
Captain Marvel
Hawkman & Hawkgirl

Lobo! Just wishful thinking...

Then we drop down to ones I don't see getting made unless have some movie or cartoon push.
Blue Beetle
Booster Gold
PlasticMan
Red Tornado
Atom

I'd like to see some Batman variations like Batman Beyond.
I could go on forever with my DC and Marvel wishlist...I'll just have to resort to customizers.

It's actually planned that way. Marvel has final say on their side of the roster and I'm sure they tell LEGO which minifigures they want to promote. It's all about cross-promotional synergy with their television shows and movies. Expect next year's sets to have some of the following: Doctor Strange, Dormammu, Ghost Rider, She-Hulk, Shuma-Gorath, Super-Skrull or X-23?

Then why no Teen Titans!!! :)

I have a bunch of those storage sets. I only opened 2. They had a ton of them for $5 on clearance!!! I was all over them for the classic space minifig the nice parts were all bonus for that price. Now we just need the Red, White, Black, and Yellow ones again.
Time to check Bricklink on those classic space blue reissue minifigs.

EDIT: Wow, you are right. Not many new lots available on Bricklink. Wish I bought 20 of those sets now (I do think I have at least 6 of them though). It makes a lot of sense if you want to give Benny an "unworn-out" emblem.
I only see 9 new lots.
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?pg=1&itemID=110842&sz=10&searchSort=P

Only 2 new lots for older reissue with classic eyes.
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?pg=1&itemID=87122&sz=10&searchSort=P

neonglow

I expect Green Arrow to show up with a Batman set someday. Hopefully no Bat vehicle, an Arrow Plane or something. :) Hopefully Black Canary too!

They still have a bunch of B+ super heroes left for DC:
Cyborg (Teen Titans, but part of new DC 52 universe in Justice League)
Teen Titans
Supergirl
Superboy
Captain Marvel
Hawkman & Hawkgirl

Lobo! Just wishful thinking...

Then we drop down to ones I don't see getting made unless have some movie or cartoon push.
Blue Beetle
Booster Gold
PlasticMan
Red Tornado
Atom

I'd like to see some Batman variations like Batman Beyond.
I could go on forever with my DC and Marvel wishlist...I'll just have to resort to customizers.

Captain Marvel/Shazam has already been made though really rare. It would seem easy for them to repurpose the Chima molds to make Hawkman/Hawkgirl. Maybe a future giveaway like Martian Manhunter....or SDCC exclusive...shudder...

Captain Marvel/Shazam has already been made though really rare. It would seem easy for them to repurpose the Chima molds to make Hawkman/Hawkgirl. Maybe a future giveaway like Martian Manhunter....or SDCC exclusive...shudder...

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. They can easily redo the print so that one is truly exclusive. Same with the Bizarro one. Just like they may do with Green Lantern based on the LED keychain Green Lantern.

neonglow

Has anyone purchased the counterfeit minifigure versions? All this super hero talk makes in interested in buying some like Green Lantern or Shazam. They're like $5 each on eBay.

I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one Big Hero Six set too, since they have a deal with Disney and Marvel in place.

Has anyone purchased the counterfeit minifigure versions? All this super hero talk makes in interested in buying some like Green Lantern or Shazam. They're like $5 each on eBay.

Got a link? I might bite, I saw some custom paints for the minifig Hulk a while ago but I thought better than to buy a counterfeit. Now, though, maybe I'll get one or two depending how they look.

Mmmmmneh, I'm not a fan of how his mouth is down at like, the very bottom edge of his face. Puts waaay too much space between his eyes and mouth. comparison:

:(

There's a whole series of like 6-8 different Iron Man armors that I found via that auction that looks pretty cool, though! Some of them even come with little armor remover robot bases.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/no-With-Box...69362?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item4862eee7b2

That black and gold one looks siiiiick

Edit: LOL

$_12.JPG

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong.

Also love Hulk using a gun. Perfect. Makes me wonder if there's any custom Punisher minifigs... yup, they do. Heh

I'd stay away from the "counterfeit" or "knockoff" ones. The quality is low. If you're talking about customized LEGO minifigs, I've gotten a bunch. When I say customized, it's official LEGO parts. I stay away from decals since I could do that myself if I wanted. I look for those that do pad printing which is how LEGO does theirs. Quality does differ on the pad printing, but for the most part I've been happy with my purchases. $5 sounds a bit low for a pad printed LEGO minifig. For popular ones they are closer to $10-$20. I usually bid as since you can get lucky and get them cheaper. I'll try to take some photos sometime and do a mini review.

Mmmmmneh, I'm not a fan of how his mouth is down at like, the very bottom edge of his face. Puts waaay too much space between his eyes and mouth. comparison:

:(

There's a whole series of like 6-8 different Iron Man armors that I found via that auction that looks pretty cool, though! Some of them even come with little armor remover robot bases.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/no-With-Box...69362?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item4862eee7b2

That black and gold one looks siiiiick

We talked about these knockoff minifigs. You have to be careful as they look cool, but they are not LEGO quality. There are different counterfeits so even quality of those vary. The packaging often looks really good.

Tried searching for the ones I saw of those earlier. Can't find it. Here's an article on Decool counterfeits.

http://detoyz-shop.blogspot.com/2013/11/real-vs-fake-lego-minifigures.html
fake+lego+minifigure+2.jpg

EDIT: Found the post. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=85587766&postcount=365

I'd stay away from the "counterfeit" or "knockoff" ones. The quality is low. If you're talking about customized LEGO minifigs, I've gotten a bunch. When I say customized, it's official LEGO parts. I stay away from decals since I could do that myself if I wanted. I look for those that do pad printing which is how LEGO does theirs. Quality does differ on the pad printing, but for the most part I've been happy with my purchases. $5 sounds a bit low for a pad printed LEGO minifig. For popular ones they are closer to $10-$20. I usually bid as since you can get lucky and get them cheaper. I'll try to take some photos sometime and do a mini review.

We talked about these knockoff minifigs. You have to be careful as they look cool, but they are not LEGO quality. There are different counterfeits so even quality of those vary. The packaging often looks really good.

Tried searching for the ones I saw of those earlier. Can't find it. Here's an article on Decool counterfeits.

http://detoyz-shop.blogspot.com/2013/11/real-vs-fake-lego-minifigures.html
fake+lego+minifigure+2.jpg

EDIT: Found the post. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=85587766&postcount=365

Dang, I wasn't too concerned with them being knockoffs but having the printing be so off is where I draw the line. Thanks for posting that link!

Edit: Just read your post from earlier in the thread - did anyone ever buy any and report back? Or was that basically nullified by the detoyz link? I'd bite the bullet, getting 6 of them for $10 is sweet but again, not too stoked that the printing is so jacked :T

We expect a Hall of Justice MOC from you soon now.

For those new here, this is you on high quality ABS plastic. Take a look at wetwired and others here. You will soon join our ranks of the perpetually broke and out of storage space.

Oh I already am. I don't have the cash to be buying the BIG sets like that yet (though like I said, I'm gonna just say 'fuck it' if I do get hired at the Lego store and buy the Haunted House next month) but I'll like, rationalize with myself on smaller sets, "It's only $10, just don't eat out for a day or two this week, you need to lose weight anyway." Things are gonna get UGLY once I start actually bringing in some cash in the next couple months. That Sandcrawler is gonna be mine.

Nitemare1

We expect a Hall of Justice MOC from you soon now.

For those new here, this is you on high quality ABS plastic. Take a look at wetwired and others here. You will soon join our ranks of the perpetually broke and out of storage space.

Heed this warning, or be forever sorting!

I know a guy who bought all of those Iron Man variants, and the figures are way better than I expected. The only major difference is the internal connector between the torso and legs.

Your mileage may vary, obviously - but I was really surprised.

ghostmind

And as JANG points out, it is interesting that LEGO used an illegal connection in one of their own sets.

It seems that they were less concerned about such things back then... perhaps the AFOL community (and LEGO themselves) is too concerned these days?

ghostmind

As an aside, it occurred to me this morning that the upcoming CITY Arctic sets remind me of Classic Space quite a bit - perhaps that sense of exploration in a remote and barren landscape. That would help to explain why I am looking forward to them more than I do for most other CITY sets though.

Top Bottom