• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Ryuuroden

Is there a consensus on the best way to repair broken/snapped lego? I'm up at my parent's house taking all my old sets and putting them into boxes and bags, and some of the palm fronds from the old Pirate and Island sets have snapped :(

That's a "tragic tale of LEGO love" right there :( I had a few of those break on me when I was a kid I don't think I ever tried to repair them. The palm fronds do show up on PAB so they are pretty easy to replace.

That's a "tragic tale of LEGO love" right there :( I had a few of those break on me when I was a kid I don't think I ever tried to repair them. The palm fronds do show up on PAB so they are pretty easy to replace.

Oh, cool! Thanks, I'll take a look.

Another conundrum. Going through the boxes and tubs of old sets, things are obviously in a state of disarray. Sets built but broken (as in came apart), some unrecognizable (so I just took them completely apart).

I did find, though, the Aquanauts Sea Claw 7 in large chunks. I'm trying to decide if I should attempt reassembling it as it is, or just taking it completely apart and rebuilding it once I have everything back down to my apartment and I start organizing bricks not just by color, but by type.

Another cool thing I found, I have the original Lego Star Wars X-Wing Fighter from 1999. It's missing one laser cannon, the back loading storage thing, and a rocket booster though. (As well as a pilot and R2 unit, don't know where the flip those are). I also have the old speeder bike set, and whatever set came out with Qui-Gon and Jar-Jar. Plus a random Battle Droid.

Some cool old sets I've discovered:

Old Space Shuttle, at least one of the old Adventure sets with the jeeps and Egyptian tomb, the EXTREME mountain set, a set or two from the Ice Planet theme, a big two-driver hovercraft, and then two giant space ships from... I don't know what theme. One looks like an X-Wing but with a half-circle front, the other is a big mothership that's top pops off to make a little ship and is held together with magnets. All my Pirate and Island and ooooold Blacktron/M-Tron sets are just destroyed but I have all the minifigs and special bricks so I'm sure I can reassemble them in the future.

wetwired

You should get the Rover as soon as you can. It's already sold out in the US and no word if it will ever come back. It could be done for good.
I doubt it'll go out of production so soon it's barely been out a couple of months. They'll keep producing it will it keeps selling out for at least a year.

I doubt it'll go out of production so soon it's barely been out a couple of months. They'll keep producing it will it keeps selling out for at least a year.

Agreed. As far as I know there are no unusual parts beyond any printed bricks. It's easy for LEGO to make more sets if most of the parts are already produced and just need to be pulled and printed. Well worth it for sets that have high demand and sell well. Look at the minecraft Cuusoo sets. The first one had several runs after sell through of inventory.

neonglow

Agreed. As far as I know there are no unusual parts beyond any printed bricks. It's easy for LEGO to make more sets if most of the parts are already produced and just need to be pulled and printed. Well worth it for sets that have high demand and sell well. Look at the minecraft Cuusoo sets. The first one had several runs after sell through of inventory.

You're probably right. However whatever is out there will be it for awhile. It'll take LEGO a couple months to get the set back into stores once production restarts just like Minecraft.

God I'm gonna spend so much money tomorrow, I'm scared.

My must-haves:

Haunted House (if they still have it)
Ninjago Mech
Chima Legends Eagle
Star Wars A-Wing
Lex Luthor Armor

My might-gets:

Creator Seaside House
Batman VS Penguin
Joker Steamroller
Metalbeard's Duel
Bad Cop's Persuit
Super Cycle Chase
Hulk Smash Lab

Depending on the Haunted House being there or not a whole mess of those might-gets are gonna move up to my must-haves.

Fffffffff

frogg609

turbotank1.jpg

Okay lady you can have the tank, I didn't want it anyway!

turbotank2.jpg

Help me!!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely adore the Clone Turbo Tank (75028). A really fun simple build that functions really well. It has my heart right now as my current favorite set.

Put the captain america set together finally.

The figures are nice but the set is mixed for me. The functionality n playability is awesome but the build is a bit odd n not as good as I expected.

turbotank1.jpg

Okay lady you can have the tank, I didn't want it anyway!

I absolutely adore the Clone Turbo Tank (75028). A really fun simple build that functions really well. It has my heart right now as my current favorite set.

I see you have a Disney princess minidoll. As a grown man with kids, I quite enjoy the Friends line. As your photo demonstrates, they can be quite humorous to mix in with "regular" LEGO.

frogg609

I see you have a Disney princess minidoll. As a grown man with kids, I quite enjoy the Friends line. As your photo demonstrates, they can be quite humorous to mix in with "regular" LEGO.

I found the polybag of her at WalMart. Thought it was worth a try. My wife said I needed to give her the frying pan. :)

Zerojul

Quinjet was mentioned recently. It's on sale online at Target. $48.99 (reg.$69.99)

http://toysnbricks.com/usa-target-online-lego-quinjet-aerial-battle-48-99/
I wish we could get deals like that here. I would gladely get a second QuinJet at that price.

I wonder if they would ever do this. SHIELD Helicarrier along the lines of the Imperial Star Destroyer, or are Marvel fans not as crazy and willing to part with space in their house as Star Wars fans are?
I can speak only for myself but a helicarrier UCS/huge playset would always have a place on my little appartement. I could use it as a coffee table :)

frogg609

If they made a Helicarrier to scale with the Quinjet, it would have to be the size of a limo or something.

And it would be awesome.

That would be a tough one to explain to the wife or girlfriend.

"Where the hell are you going to put that?"

"Dining room."

"Where in the dining room?"

"The entire dining room."

Most of us would buy it and not be to display it.

wetwired

I don't know if I'm allowed to state the exact period but from my conversations with LEGO with Ecto-1, they have an agreement with the license holder to cover a certain period during which they can produce the set, after which they can no longer produce them (unless they come to another agreement). I imagine the Mars rover has a similar agreement so I wouldn't imagine it going out of production anytime soon. As long as it keeps selling they'll keep making it til their time runs out.

Rootbeer

Banned
Happy double VIP everyone.

Only 2 of the new TMNT sets are appearing on S@H though. Karai Bike and T-Rawket.

The two I'm most interested in: T-Sub and Mutation Chamber... aren't on there.

Was hoping I could place an order for the whole lot :( There goes my plans... now I don't know what I want to order, if anything.

On the flip side... amazon now has ALL of the new tmnt sets... no vip points there though, of course.

Zerojul

Happy double VIP everyone.

Only 2 of the new TMNT sets are appearing on S@H though. Karai Bike and T-Rawket.

The two I'm most interested in: T-Sub and Mutation Chamber... aren't on there.

Was hoping I could place an order for the whole lot :( There goes my plans... now I don't know what I want to order, if anything.

On the flip side... amazon now has ALL of the new tmnt sets... no vip points there though, of course.

They're available on the French S@H, they should appear on the US one vey soon I guess :
http://shop.lego.com/fr-FR/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-ParTheme

VIP points aren't that big a deal, really. Even with double, it only amounts to 10% off. Anything that is readily available in retail will have better offers on Amazon etc. I'm only using S@H for exclusives and the occasional PAB when pieces are overpriced on Bricklink.

Rootbeer

Banned
They're available on the French S@H, they should appear on the US one vey soon I guess :
http://shop.lego.com/fr-FR/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-ParTheme
Cool! Hope so.
VIP points aren't that big a deal, really. Even with double, it only amounts to 10% off. Anything that is readily available in retail will have better offers on Amazon etc. I'm only using S@H for exclusives and the occasional PAB when pieces are overpriced on Bricklink.
Yeah, I realize that. But amazon doesn't discount new sets very often. And if you like buying the new stuff asap, it's still the best way to do it. Exclusives are definitely the real draw for S@H, for sure.

Zerojul

I will get the Sea-Cow because it's exclusive and the mixels because they are cheaper at S@H than anywhere else for some reason. But you're right, 10%off isn't that great of a deal for most of the sets.

Cool! Hope so.

Yeah, I realize that. But amazon doesn't discount new sets very often. And if you like buying the new stuff asap, it's still the best way to do it. Exclusives are definitely the real draw for S@H, for sure.

why buy new sets though when they are ALWAYS a ton of older ones on sale at Amazon that you most likely do not own yet but want all the same?

wetwired

It begins...again?

itbegins2.jpg

I wasn't happy with the previous torso, it wasn't rounded enough, it was prone to falling apart unless handled carefully and was difficult to tweak if I wanted to adjust the shapes. This new one is much rounder, has a stronger core so it doesn't fall apart and is much more adjustable. For starters I think his stomach needs to be more plump and fatter like the first one, so now I need to pull it apart and thicken him up a bit, the new design will make that a lot easier though. Here's the old torso for reference....

itbegins.jpg

Aw man, http://www.thebrickfan.com/ is shutting down this month. They were a good aggregator for stories & news.

Anybody have any alternative recommendations?

Edit: I'm an idiot. In my defense I've had been cleaning up a three year old's vomit every 45 minutes since 3am but still...I'm an idiot.

I don't know if I'm allowed to state the exact period but from my conversations with LEGO with Ecto-1, they have an agreement with the license holder to cover a certain period during which they can produce the set, after which they can no longer produce them (unless they come to another agreement). I imagine the Mars rover has a similar agreement so I wouldn't imagine it going out of production anytime soon. As long as it keeps selling they'll keep making it til their time runs out.

Cool. I would imagine the Mars Rover isn't exactly a hot IP for merchandising so it would be easy for LEGO and NASA to come to another agreement if it ever came to it. It's great PR for NASA and helps spur interest in space exploration.

why buy new sets though when they are ALWAYS a ton of older ones on sale at Amazon that you most likely do not own yet but want all the same?

Understood. You are not are far gone in addiction as some of us. You have a strong will. There are some sets that I cannot wait to get. Any sets around $30 or less that I REALLY want, I jump on for 10-20% off. The pricier ones, especially close to $100, I wait for better sales.

It begins...again?

itbegins2.jpg

[/IMG]

You need a bag of marshmellows next to him. Also, I'm thinking you also have a good foundation for a Michelin Man.

michelin-man.jpg

On a somewhat related tip, the Toysnbricks forums are pretty funny today.

http://toysnbricks.com/forums/

Bwahahaha! It took me a bit to figure out what you meant. I also wondered why you didn't link to a specific forum thread.

Check out their latest news too. http://toysnbricks.com/a-fresh-new-perspective/

AFOM and AFOK

Top Bottom