• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Grand Emporium is sitting in my shopping cart. But my conscious tells me to not purchase any LEGO until May the Fourth.

That Grand Emporium ain't gonna do you any good on 5/4. Imagine how disappointed you'll be if it goes out of print in the next few weeks and you didn't pull the trigger?

/enabling

For me, May is aaaalll about the Sand Crawler. I have to get everything else out of my way so I can save for that.

I'm thinking of setting a monthly $100 limit on myself for Lego. Exceptions being double VIP, the Sandcrawler, and maaaybe I'll get the Simpsons house. But otherwise I think $100 is more than enough to get any of the big sets that I want without going broke, and I seriously doubt that I'd hit that limit every month too.

So is Grand Emporium really that close to retirement? Maybe I'll have to make another exception and bust out the credit card today too... hrmm ;___;

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Anyone know when we're going to see the release of the next modular?

I know Parisian Restaurant is still fairly recent, but what time scale do they release- it's once a year, right?

I know I should feel terrible, but you made the right call. GE may not be the most fun build but as others have said the finished product looks absolutely amazing. I am pretty sure there's a single step with like 300+ pieces.

Enjoy it!

GE will go into my guest room closet alongside the Fire Brigade. I'm slowly buying all the Modulars and will assemble them in a few years when my daughter is older. I last bought the FB on 6/1/12. Pet Shop is next in the release order, right? But rumors of Town Hall's demise has me eyeing it as well.

Speaking of OOP sets, I'm starting to wish I had picked up Jabba's Palace.

Oh no Town Hall too?

Which is rumored to be going OOP first, Emporium or Town Hall? Blargh I wasn't ready for this, I gotta make some cuts to my 2xVIP list fffsssss

Definitely Grand Emporium. TH was only a rumor floating around late last year.

Ok sweet. Emporium is cheaper too so that's what I was hoping for.

I think my revised list is gonna be Haunted House, Grand Emporium, Chima Legends Eagle, Ninjago Fire Mech, A-Wing, and possibly the Turtle Sub. Who knows if I'll actually have the balls to drop that kind of cash though.

Just got back today from my local LEGO store. Got a $10 Friends set to get free Friends polybag. That's an amazing deal. Also got some PAB cups and small sets.

Here's some news I've gotten:

- New PAB elements coming in. I heard they were overnighting it on Thursday so they may show up on Friday if bins need refilling. No idea what "new" elements they are.

- Price increase in PAB cups. I heard $1 increase but forgot to clarify if same for both small and large. Hopefully that's the Large cup and small cup is $0.50 increase.

Now it makes more sense. I noticed the latest small sets were around $13 vs $12. Increase in CMFs after Simpsons. Now PAB price increase. IMO, the CMF price increase is crazy (CMFs after Simpsons - I can understand increase for Simpsons). Why not do 15% or $0.50 increase? Then after a year do another $0.50 increase. 33% increase is a bit much in one shot.

- No more discount on PAB cups. Discounts only apply to regular priced, non-exclusive sets.

P.S.

- No hedgehog keychain at my local LEGO store. Can't remember who was looking for that.

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm finding better control if I hold off on smaller sets. Been trying to focus on the bigger stuff. It's been a couple of months since I knocked out the Cinema and Parisian Rest in one big purchase. Couple of months w/ nothing, then another big purchase. Probably buy something cheap to get the Revan figure in May - but hold off for another few months and then get Spaceship and Sandcrawler at once.

I'm finding better control if I hold off on smaller sets. Been trying to focus on the bigger stuff. It's been a couple of months since I knocked out the Cinema and Parisian Rest in one big purchase. Couple of months w/ nothing, then another big purchase. Probably buy something cheap to get the Revan figure in May - but hold off for another few months and then get Spaceship and Sandcrawler at once.

Yeah, I'll make the minimum $75 for Revan too. Then I'll wait a while and scoop up Spaceship & Police Dropship together.

After GE, I'll have 1,134 VIP points. But I'll keep saving them for a special set, most likely Sandcrawler.

Just got back today from my local LEGO store. Got a $10 Friends set to get free Friends polybag. That's an amazing deal. Also got some PAB cups and small sets.

Here's some news I've gotten:

- New PAB elements coming in. I heard they were overnighting it on Thursday so they may show up on Friday if bins need refilling. No idea what "new" elements they are.

- Price increase in PAB cups. I heard $1 increase but forgot to clarify if same for both small and large. Hopefully that's the Large cup and small cup is $0.50 increase.

Now it makes more sense. I noticed the latest small sets were around $13 vs $12. Increase in CMFs after Simpsons. Now PAB price increase. IMO, the CMF price increase is crazy (CMFs after Simpsons - I can understand increase for Simpsons). Why not do 15% or $0.50 increase? Then after a year do another $0.50 increase. 33% increase is a bit much in one shot.

- No more discount on PAB cups. Discounts only apply to regular priced, non-exclusive sets.

P.S.

- No hedgehog keychain at my local LEGO store. Can't remember who was looking for that.

That'd be me and I appreciate you looking for it. I'll probably just get it off some Amazon seller at this rate.

As for my purchase, I'll probably go snag one of the smaller Architecture pieces for here at work. Probably Big Ben or the Eiffel Tower.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

It's really easy not to overspend when you're a poor graduating college student.

Then all the sets you wanted go out of print and triple in price. :(

Just got the pet shop and the town hall before they disappeared. I get GE a couple of months ago so I am just needing to pick up the palace cinema and the Parisian restaurant from the available sets. Oh and also picked up the Seacow. My girlfriend actually pushed me into getting it as she loves the look of it in the Lego store.

Happy double vip month everyone.

ruxtpin

Banned
Another note - The store I went to had a full stock of the Lego Movie minifigs. Like I suspected, these aren't gone yet. Might have sold out of them for a period, but they'll be around a bit longer.

I put an order in on all the Chinese knockoffs I could get my hands on through Amazon.

-12 Iron Men - 8 of which are unique
-6 pack of knockoffs that include Shazam
-The Superman set, with 8 figs, including Bizarro, Clark mid tearing of suit, and a Robo Superman (?)
-The 8 Lantern set
-The Ninja Turtle set with all 4 turtles, Shredder, and Splinter

40 minifigs for $52, shipped! I look forward to comparing the knockoffs with the real versions of the various Lego minifigs I own.

I put an order in on all the Chinese knockoffs I could get my hands on through Amazon.

-12 Iron Men - 8 of which are unique
-6 pack of knockoffs that include Shazam
-The Superman set, with 8 figs, including Bizarro, Clark mid tearing of suit, and a Robo Superman (?)
-The 8 Lantern set
-The Ninja Turtle set with all 4 turtles, Shredder, and Splinter

40 minifigs for $52, shipped! I look forward to comparing the knockoffs with the real versions of the various Lego minifigs I own.

Please post a review.

Oh, forgot to mention I saw these at LEGO store. I don't remember seeing them before, but according to Brickset they were released in Feb. Maybe they were available online first.

2 minifig battle packs for Chima so far? I think they really are under-selling and are using these packs to unload the minifigs.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Legends-of-Chima-Minifigure-Accessory-Set-850910?fromListing=listing
850910-1.jpg

Oh, forgot to mention I saw these at LEGO store. I don't remember seeing them before, but according to Brickset they were released in Feb. Maybe they were available online first.

2 minifig battle packs for Chima so far? I think they really are under-selling and are using these packs to unload the minifigs.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Legends-of-Chima-Minifigure-Accessory-Set-850910?fromListing=listing
850910-1.jpg

Been waiting for it to drop in price since it has the last few of the original Chima characters I want that I don't have.

Official images of some TMNT movie sets are out.

The builds look so much better in these sets than the cartoon ones.

Photos are to small, but are those the same head moulds as the other TMNT sets? They look a little like the ugly heads in the movie, but that could just be the print.

neonglow

The builds look so much better in these sets than the cartoon ones.

Photos are to small, but are those the same head moulds as the other TMNT sets? They look a little like the ugly heads in the movie, but that could just be the print.

I think the only new mold is that raised shell they all have. As always, it looks like you will have to get all 3 movie sets to get all the turtles since Donatello isn't in those 2 sets.

I'll get the Turtle Van when it's released. I think I'll wait for a big sale on the Big Rig since it's just a modified version of the Grand Prix Truck.

81WHxo2gp3L._SL500_.jpg

mojiimbo

Another note - The store I went to had a full stock of the Lego Movie minifigs. Like I suspected, these aren't gone yet. Might have sold out of them for a period, but they'll be around a bit longer.
I hope the store here gets a surprise shipment of these before May. They haven't been in stock here for over a month. :-/

I hope the store here gets a surprise shipment of these before May. They haven't been in stock here for over a month. :-/

It would help to mention which stores. I know LEGO stores won't get anymore at all unless they find a lost box somewhere in storage.

Stores like Walmart, Target, and Toys R Us usually have inventory well after LEGO store runs out. LEGO warehouses for sure don't have any left.

So I was thinking on getting some of the smaller creator sets. Which of these are lego-gaf approved?

- Treehouse
- Mountain house
- Seaside
- Small cottage
- Passenger train. Is this one worth it? or should anyone who wants something like it go all the way with the horizon plus moving parts.

neonglow

So I was thinking on getting some of the smaller creator sets. Which of these are lego-gaf approved?

- Treehouse
- Mountain house
- Seaside
- Small cottage
- Passenger train. Is this one worth it? or should anyone who wants something like it go all the way with the horizon plus moving parts.

Any of those Creator sets are fine except for small cottage. It's very basic compared to the others. I'd go with the treehouse as your first set.

Any of those Creator sets are fine except for small cottage. It's very basic compared to the others. I'd go with the treehouse as your first set.

Thanks for the input, small cottage does seems very basic. Any feedback on the passenger train?

It's also not my first set at all, own all the modulars since fire brigade plus some other sets.

Understood. You are not are far gone in addiction as some of us. You have a strong will. There are some sets that I cannot wait to get. Any sets around $30 or less that I REALLY want, I jump on for 10-20% off. The pricier ones, especially close to $100, I wait for better sales.

nah i wouldn't say that, as i've spent thousands of bucks easily on Lego since my return from the dark ages ;(

I just figure that there are SO many great sets still out there that are soon(ish) going out of print that need buying asap rather than the all new stuff which will have years of shelf life ahead of them anyway... If you can afford to buy both new AND older sets all the time though, more power to you!! My wallet is being raped and murdered as is lol :( also due to the excessive cost of other hobbies too though..

neonglow

Thanks for the input, small cottage does seems very basic. Any feedback on the passenger train?

It's also not my first set at all, own all the modulars since fire brigade plus some other sets.

You should check out the summer 2014 train sets before buying the Passenger Train. The Horizon Express was created by Jamie Berard so it'll be like a modular in train form.

http://www.neoape.com/lego-city-trains-2014-video-images/

sea cow, tower of orthanc or parisian restaurant . Choices choices choices

Orthanc will disappear first, so get it first. You have plenty of time on the others.

- Treehouse
- Mountain house
- Seaside
- Small cottage
Tree House is the best of those. And as others said, wait on the train because there are new ones coming this summer.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Sadly, I will be missing out on double VIP this year. Saving money for home improvements and bills. Best of buying to everyone else.

wetwired

Spent another couple of hours on Stay Puft tonight, fattened him up as well as widened him, I'll fill in the little gaps on the side eventually as well as pull it apart again to rebuild it a bit stronger, it's currently on the front and sides as I've run out of pieces to do the back :p. Now onto the arms...

itbegins3.jpg

ruxtpin

Banned
I haven't cracked open the Sea Cow yet, but after looking at the box some more I kinda' want to modify it already. I want to to put some giant robotic legs underneath and add some robotic arms towards the front. What's better than a gigantic pirate ship that can also walk on land.

I wonder what sort of technic pieces I would need to hold up a set that large.

Edit: ^^^ It's looking good wet!

Top Bottom