• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

KemoSabe

3300003-1.jpg

They only give them away at grand openings for new stores. They are free with $75 purchase. They are rather rare, so they are sought after. I was just going to keep mine, but then I saw they go for over $100 on ebay. It's insane.
i would love to have that set myself, its gorgeous.

iirc there is a instruction manual available online and all of the pieces can be bought seperatly, except for the lego sign (sticker?)

so maybe building it yourself is the more reasonable thing to do?

3300003-1.jpg

They only give them away at grand openings for new stores. They are free with $75 purchase. They are rather rare, so they are sought after. I was just going to keep mine, but then I saw they go for over $100 on ebay. It's insane.

Doesn't seem like there are too many rare elements. The trans erling/headlight brick and white nozzles are a bit rare. Not sure if the LEGO printed 2x2 white tile is uncommon.

I would sell mine in a hearbeat for $100.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the Simpsons build. As a finished product (opened up, not closed) I really like it but parts of the build didn't sit well with me.

Just starting the garage now. I loved how the lawn chairs and grill went together. Parts of the car were great, but parts are ugly when done.

To people wanting to free their MiniFigs from keychain prisons, I can confirm 1,000% that the candle method works amazingly. Frodo keychains were on sale for $0.98 so I got one of those and a Storm Trooper, I tested it on Frodo and it works and it's SUPER easy. So now I have my first Storm Trooper. The only problem is that his helmet doesn't snap into place anymore, so I'll probably have to glue it on or something. Plus I'll eventually want to fill that hole too.

So a while ago one of the first projects to it 10k on Cuusoo was The Winchester from Shaun of the Dead. Great! Except it was declined because "the film Shaun of the Dead contains content that is not appropriate for our core target audience of children ages 6-11". At the time I think we all assumed it was possibly because of the zombie references, but this is something TLG then disprove themselves by stuff like Monster Fighters.

It then makes sense that it was more because it was a pub, and had connotations to alcohol and whatnot. Just wondering how a set like Mos Eisley Cantina can exist and not The Winchester. I know Star Wars is a more kid-centered film, but in my mind they're both pictured as comedy/fantasy setting. On that note too, it got me wondering if there was a possibility of The Prancing Pony from LOTR or if that was a no-go as well. It would be a shame if it was the latter.

I love the Cantina, and im definitely buying, just crossed my mind when I was looking at it though.

It's not just because it's a pub. The reason they aren't going to do ANY set based off of Shaun of the Dead is because the movie is R-rated, filled with foul language, graphic violence, and of course for the Winchester itself the fact that it's a pub. You'll probably never see a Lego Marvel set based on the Punisher, or Zombieland sets, or Anchorman sets, or any DC-Vertigo or Marvel-MAX properties. It's because Lego is primarily aimed at children and to base sets off of incredibly adult-oriented properties goes directly against that. Even with Simpsons, they've gone on record saying they won't make a Moe's Tavern, so they probably won't even make a Moe or Barney minifig if they do a Wave 2 of the CMFs.

So the Mos Eisley cantina isn't based on a real bar that serves alcoholic drinks. It's a bar in the SW universe, sure, but you could also say since it's a cantina it's just a general club that serves drinks. I don't think it's ever said they're adult beverages in any of the Star Wars movies. There's a band there, and a place to get food and drinks, so it's a club, not an actual bar like the Winchester or Moe's. Moe's serves Duff beer, Winchester is from an R-rated film, that's what goes against Lego's values and prohibits the sets.

mojiimbo

I hope they sneak Punisher into a set eventually. Wolverine and Deadpool(?) can get pretty dark and the G-rated Punisher in Lego Marvel was pretty funny so I don't think it's that big of a stretch.

Ryuuroden

To people wanting to free their MiniFigs from keychain prisons, I can confirm 1,000% that the candle method works amazingly. Frodo keychains were on sale for $0.98 so I got one of those and a Storm Trooper, I tested it on Frodo and it works and it's SUPER easy. So now I have my first Storm Trooper. The only problem is that his helmet doesn't snap into place anymore, so I'll probably have to glue it on or something. Plus I'll eventually want to fill that hole too.

It's not just because it's a pub. The reason they aren't going to do ANY set based off of Shaun of the Dead is because the movie is R-rated, filled with foul language, graphic violence, and of course for the Winchester itself the fact that it's a pub. You'll probably never see a Lego Marvel set based on the Punisher, or Zombieland sets, or Anchorman sets, or any DC-Vertigo or Marvel-MAX properties. It's because Lego is primarily aimed at children and to base sets off of incredibly adult-oriented properties goes directly against that. Even with Simpsons, they've gone on record saying they won't make a Moe's Tavern, so they probably won't even make a Moe or Barney minifig if they do a Wave 2 of the CMFs.

So the Mos Eisley cantina isn't based on a real bar that serves alcoholic drinks. It's a bar in the SW universe, sure, but you could also say since it's a cantina it's just a general club that serves drinks. I don't think it's ever said they're adult beverages in any of the Star Wars movies. There's a band there, and a place to get food and drinks, so it's a club, not an actual bar like the Winchester or Moe's. Moe's serves Duff beer, Winchester is from an R-rated film, that's what goes against Lego's values and prohibits the sets.

Yeah the only way any of that will ever happen is if LEGO creates a whole new brand name to make them and probably not even be compatible. Some sort of complete adult modeling brand. Call the brand LEGOVOK or LEGOVOKSEN aka abbreviated "Play Well Adults"

Interested to hear your thoughts on the Simpsons build. As a finished product (opened up, not closed) I really like it but parts of the build didn't sit well with me.
Responding again. Just finished bag 3 (front side of first floor ). Absolutely love many parts, particularly the small furniture stuff. But loathe how the piano stool does not attach to any studs on the floor. It also bugs me having the floor as tiles but the counter is exposed studs.
I did love how the bay windows attached using the 4x4 plate that only has one row of studs. Very nicely done.

On a side note, the instructions show Flanders as left handed. Nice attention to detail.

I hope they sneak Punisher into a set eventually. Wolverine and Deadpool(?) can get pretty dark and the G-rated Punisher in Lego Marvel was pretty funny so I don't think it's that big of a stretch.

Wolverine is like Marvel's mascot so there's no way they wouldn't put him in sets but you're right that he can be very bleak at times. I think that they could do a Punisher minifig like they did with Deadpool, though, as long as it's not a set focused on them, like how they have Deadpool just in that helicopter set, and how Taskmaster (WTF!?!) is in the Hulk Smash Lab. I can't imagine how they could possibly do a Punisher set though, his rogue's gallery is pretty gruesome and I don't think I've ever seen any Punisher-centric tales that are anywhere near suitable for kids. Deadpool seems kinda like Wolverine in that he has a very broad appeal, I've read plenty of all-ages Deadpool stories but there's also obviously some very inappropriate things that they can and have done with him. I could not believe they made a set with him in it, I'm SUPER bummed I missed out on it ;___;

Rootbeer

Banned
Found this on 4chan...

It reminded me why I found LEGO so inspiring as a kid, these are the kind of ads you'd see in magazines and whatnot. Castle and all its variants was always my favorite back then! I still love it, but the most recent wave wasn't so great (though I do love that Dragon fig)

Vq2TCDB.jpg

Mixel Photo Bomb!!

Krader and nixel

Can't recall its name, just going to call it Rock Lord because Rocklords were boring and no one liked them.

My favorite out of the Rock guys, Seismo. Awesome articulation, awesome intimidating cyclop eye and comes with four of those new ball and joint pieces.

Pata-Pata-Pata-Pon
Nice. After Lego store I went to TRU and got all the black Mixels to complete the set. Will build the lil guys soon. Totally in love with the series.

Now you need to download the Max Mixels instructions.

leng jai

Wow watching the movie really makes you want to buy all the sets. Even contemplated buying the Sea Cow for about 30 seconds.

Found this on 4chan...

It reminded me why I found LEGO so inspiring as a kid, these are the kind of ads you'd see in magazines and whatnot. Castle and all its variants was always my favorite back then! I still love it, but the most recent wave wasn't so great (though I do love that Dragon fig)

Vq2TCDB.jpg

Oh shit I totally have that dragon somewhere, why wasn't it in with all the Lego I just went through at my parent's house wtffffff

I also have the wizard but I can't find his damn hat

Finished floor 1 of Simpsons House. Like earlier, I love a lot of the techniques, particularly in the furniture with small details. Just really, really clever stuff.
But, there is now more loose stuff in the house that is not attached to studs. It is maddening. It is an easy fix if I had the bricks in the right colors to put jumper plates or regular plates for the floor so the furniture could attach, but I don't have those shades of blue or yellow.
It seems like a nitpick, and it is. The rest of the build so far is so damn good which makes that point all the more annoying. I will do second floor tomorrow.

I did open and build the LEGO Store set though. A cute lil cube. It reminds me of a lot of Farnsworth House with the micro scale interior details. Very cool lil thing and I am glad I built it. Glad I gave into my first instinct of having fun with the set instead of greed that came later. Greed should never win.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Found this on 4chan...

Vq2TCDB.jpg

So many great memories. Some of my favorite sets ever were the castle sets. And when they met some space sets, shit went down!

So I just spent the last couple hours building, here's some thoughts:

A-Wing Fighter
I dig this ship. And I REALLY dig the Akbar minifig, which is honestly the entire reason I bought the dumb thing but the ship is damn fine. I like that the landing gear actually retracts up into the body of the ship, that's something like... none of the old Lego space sets I had did, nor did the original X-Wing. Fun ship for wooshing!

Lex's Power Armor
This build is AMAZING. It's rock solid and the way it comes together as you make it is so friggin awesome. It has a lot of great little details too like the chunk of Kryptonite in the ray gun, and I love that the control levers both fit into Lex's hands, and the glass bubble can still close over him. For $20 the value in this set is incredible, never mind the discount I got it at. The colors are kinda gaudy to me, but it's a comic book robot so that comes with the territory. Highly recommended to everyone.

The Bat VS Bane: Tumbler Chase
This... I'm mixed on. The minifigs are awesome, ESPECIALLY Gary Oldman Commissioner Gordon minifig. As a finished product, they both look really cool and are fun to play with, but the build on the Bat felt kinda tedious since after the body was done you had to do everything twice for the guns and wings. Also the Tumbler, oh my god I am so disappointed in the build quality. The windshield is just barely holding on by the four front studs, there's nothing offering support from the bottom sides and nothing to lock it in place from the top. It fell apart two or three times while building it, which is crazy and infuriating from a modern Lego set. Shame on whoever designed it. I had no idea, though, that it came with a download code for the first Lego Batman game for PC. That is really crazy awesome.

I'm debating if I should start on the Haunted House tonight. I don't know if I'd be able to finish it before needing to go to sleep for work in the morning, I've never in my life done a build of this size. I'm scared ;__;

Oh and I combined the Ninjago Fire Mech with the Chima Legends Eagle, looks cool as hell. I'll try to post some pictures.

A-Wing Fighter
I dig this ship. And I REALLY dig the Akbar minifig, which is honestly the entire reason I bought the dumb thing but the ship is damn fine. I like that the landing gear actually retracts up into the body of the ship, that's something like... none of the old Lego space sets I had did, nor did the original X-Wing. Fun ship for wooshing!

Lex's Power Armor
This build is AMAZING. It's rock solid and the way it comes together as you make it is so friggin awesome. It has a lot of great little details too like the chunk of Kryptonite in the ray gun, and I love that the control levers both fit into Lex's hands, and the glass bubble can still close over him. For $20 the value in this set is incredible, never mind the discount I got it at. The colors are kinda gaudy to me, but it's a comic book robot so that comes with the territory. Highly recommended to everyone.

Oh and I combined the Ninjago Fire Mech with the Chima Legends Eagle, looks cool as hell. I'll try to post some pictures.

Yes. Admiral Akbar is a must have. I bought the older version on BrickLink over a year ago. The newer version has much better printing. Same printing, but head printing is darker.

Agree on the Power Armor. If you like Superman and/or Wonder Woman, that set is the best value out there right now. There is a reason this is the only set from the first wave of Super Heroes theme still available at retail stores. It will be gone if not already very soon as Target did an online clearance of those a few months ago.

Pimping the set yet again: Also, it makes a great base for you own mechs.

There is no try. Do post photos of Fire Mech + Chima Eagle.

sharbhund

The Bat VS Bane: Tumbler Chase
This... I'm mixed on. The minifigs are awesome, ESPECIALLY Gary Oldman Commissioner Gordon minifig. As a finished product, they both look really cool and are fun to play with, but the build on the Bat felt kinda tedious since after the body was done you had to do everything twice for the guns and wings. Also the Tumbler, oh my god I am so disappointed in the build quality. The windshield is just barely holding on by the four front studs, there's nothing offering support from the bottom sides and nothing to lock it in place from the top. It fell apart two or three times while building it, which is crazy and infuriating from a modern Lego set. Shame on whoever designed it. I had no idea, though, that it came with a download code for the first Lego Batman game for PC. That is really crazy awesome.

Thanks for letting me know about the download code in this, I've had this set in my backlog for months without knowing. Now I'm really glad that I only bought the 2nd game a few days ago on Steam when they were having the 75% off sale.

So has no one else had a missing sticker sheet in the joker steamroller set?

I've seen a picture of the set online and it's tiny. I can't believe they put something that small loose in the box.

neonglow

So has no one else had a missing sticker sheet in the joker steamroller set?

I've seen a picture of the set online and it's tiny. I can't believe they put something that small loose in the box.

Just contact LEGO to get a replacement. Since it's a licensed set, you'll have to give them a copy of your receipt.

Alright so for me and anyone else living anywhere in Europe BUT the UK, we just got dealt a MAJOR blow to our Lego buying habits (and pretty much anything else really) as Amazon.co.uk just ENDED their Free Super Saver Delivery policy for anywhere but the UK mainland itself :((((((

Amazon was my one major site for ordering Legos DAMNIT :( so now i guess i'll have to hunt down deals on some of the other amazon sites or just buy less stuff altogether :(

Lex's Power Armor

I love this set, and it's probably my favorite of those that I've built. I'm not a huge Superman fan, but man, this one is just so cool.

The power of Lex Luthor's armor is strong. So happy to see the love for it coursing through here. I was over a year late to that set and bought it on a whim, but damn is it not one of the best things out there.

I will phone them tomorrow to get more stickers and i always keep my receipts which is good. It makes me think I should open up and check my other sets.

Also if anyone is thinking of getting the Quinjet, do it as soon as you can. I paid £70 and was more than happy paying that amount. So if you can get it cheaper, even better. Plus you get a good amount of the Avengers figures.

Fowler

Just discovered that Muji's acrylic DVD cases fit perfectly into my Ikea Expedit shelves. I had totally run out of space, so this allows me to stack some sets up... to make room for wetwired's Ghostbusters and Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Someone was asking about the joker steamroller set earlier in the thread and I've just finished it up now. The steamroller is amazing to display and I'm sure kids would love to play with it. The selection of figures is amazing.

The so so part the the bat wing. Not a very interesting build and until halfway through the build is very flimsy as about two long sections of about 20 odd bricks are joined together by just one 4x1 brink. The fiinished thing is okay but I might like it more than most cause I love black and yellow mixed together (thank you Kill Bill) but it still is overly spikey and has a pointless wing hinge thing that makes no sense to me.

I paid £35 for it which for the steamroller and the minifigs is a very good price for me. Probably to get on sale or just reside to the fact that half of this set will just be used as spare parts.

Picked up and built Hulk Lab Smash today. Man, I'm loving these minifigs, especially Hulk and MODOK.

Oh, and the build's alright, too.

I just built the Hulk Smash Lab yesterday. The build is alright, but I think it is an EXCELLENT playset. Lots of little play features for Hulk to smach the lab. I thought the center wall design was clever. MODOK's flying chair and how it works with the laser was cool too. I think kids would love the play features.

I just built the Hulk Smash Lab yesterday. The build is alright, but I think it is an EXCELLENT playset. Lots of little play features for Hulk to smach the lab. I thought the center wall design was clever. MODOK's flying chair and how it works with the laser was cool too. I think kids would love the play features.

That's what I was thinking, too. I was little disappointed by the inherent instability of those parts, but then again, I don't play with my Lego sets as actively as children getting this set would.

And yeah, MODOK's probably my favorite minifig so far.

leng jai

I don't get the love for the Quinjet. It's pretty ugly. It's been 50% off for the last year or so in Australia which is extremely rare. We usually get brief periods of 25% discount at best.

The Sith Interceptor is a much better set.

Just built the Qunjet. I had so damn much fun with this set! Although getting the front of the jet on took me like 10 minutes lol.

This is one of those sets I'm not tearing apart and will remaining on display.

Now I just have Simpsons house and Sea Cow. I'm trying to get my girlfriend to build one with me. Maybe Sea Cow cause she got it for me for my birthday.

Top Bottom