• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

frogg609

So annoyed with Wal-Mart.

Online, they have the The Millenium Falcon for $125.21. My local store has it in stock, but for 139.99.

I brought it up to the register, and tried to get them to adjust the price. The dumbass manager or whatever said "the online store is different, we can't honor it". WTF? I have never heard something so asinine in my life.Sucks because I really wanted to build it tonight.

Am I insane for expecting the online price from Wal-Mart to be honored by the B&M? I've never had this issue before.

leng jai

Online, they have the The Millenium Falcon for $125.21. My local store has it in stock, but for 139.99.

I brought it up to the register, and tried to get them to adjust the price. The dumbass manager or whatever said "the online store is different, we can't honor it". WTF? I have never heard something so asinine in my life.Sucks because I really wanted to build it tonight.

Am I insane for expecting the online price from Wal-Mart to be honored by the B&M? I've never had this issue before.

This happens all the time, it's not new. The online and shopfront are separate entities for a lot of companies.

I know that City Target (the stripped-down versions of Target that you find in downtown metro areas) will not price match either regular Targets nor the online site. Even if show them the website or a physical ad, they won't match.

Still, that really sucks man though tbh, I'd rather get at the LEGO store for double VIP points and chances are, you could probably redeem the points for $$$ off.

frogg609

I know that City Target (the stripped-down versions of Target that you find in downtown metro areas) will not price match either regular Targets nor the online site. Even if show them the website or a physical ad, they won't match.

Still, that really sucks man though tbh, I'd rather get at the LEGO store for double VIP points and chances are, you could probably redeem the points for $$$ off.

Well at least I'm not alone. :p I would do the LEGO store but my closest is 8 hours away, so I'd need to order it online, which is a lot slower than Amazon.

Well at least I'm not alone. :p I would do the LEGO store but my closest is 8 hours away, so I'd need to order it online, which is a lot slower than Amazon.

Yeah, that distance sucks but... Earn double point + free shipping (since it's over $75) + possibly apply points for $$$ is not too bad to offset the wait.

But if you want it now, then I guess it's a matter of if you can find a Target that has it in stock and will PM the walmart price (which they will probably do after they look it up on their iPad).

Rootbeer

Banned
This happens all the time, it's not new. The online and shopfront are separate entities for a lot of companies.
Funny because remember that Wal-Mart price fuckup online months ago when the site was pricing LEGO sets for like $10 instead of $100 and other wacky stuff? People were price matching that in store all over the place and posting pics etc. to prove it! I think wal-mart might have altered their price match policy after that because they probably took a big hit in some stores and don't want to risk any similar instances.

You are right about City Target... or at least you WERE right... If you look on their price match policy now, apparently City Target is included whereas it used to have a totally different price matching system.

It all boils down to one simple fact... if you don't price match at your store, you're going to miss out on sales, period. I've walked out of stores several times over this. I also won't give business to stores that don't accept gift cards (yes, this does happen -- for example, Peets coffee at my local BART station won't accept Peets cards... their loss)

I know it won't happen but could you imagine if LEGO retail stores would price match? It'd be heaven.

neonglow

fNYOPf7.jpg

Here's the other 2 models:

51XxaYqYd1L.jpg

71wpb9fvBqL._SL1500_.jpg

Funny because remember that Wal-Mart price fuckup online months ago when the site was pricing LEGO sets for like $10 instead of $100 and other wacky stuff? People were price matching that in store all over the place and posting pics etc. to prove it! I think wal-mart might have altered their price match policy after that because they probably took a big hit in some stores and don't want to risk any similar instances.

You are right about City Target... or at least you WERE right... If you look on their price match policy now, apparently City Target is included whereas it used to have a totally different price matching system.

It all boils down to one simple fact... if you don't price match at your store, you're going to miss out on sales, period. I've walked out of stores several times over this. I also won't give business to stores that don't accept gift cards (yes, this does happen -- for example, Peets coffee at my local BART station won't accept Peets cards... their loss)

I know it won't happen but could you imagine if LEGO retail stores would price match? It'd be heaven.

Funny enough, I haven't tried PM at City Target in SF after they denied me on selling Perks of Being a Wallflower on BD for the ad price while picking up a copy of Skyfall in 2012 so nice that they changed their policies. Still, I thought that original practice made ZERO sense since City Target, for all intents and purposes, is just a leaner version of a regular Target.

I do agree with your stance on price matching as if I can't PM a price at a b&m store with an online competitor (usually Amazon) then I have to think about if I want the item or not. Same with gift cards, though I do like the fact that even Starbucks in both Disneyland and DCA accept gift cards (you just can't use earned rewards).

frogg609

That's the Bike Shop & Cafe? Color me unimpressed.

That creator set looks great though! I really want Lego to do some creator sets with 500+ pieces.

Someone recommend me some cool bad guy Star Wars sets, and don't say Death Star and Star Destroyer sets because I would love to have them but they are just waaaay too pricey for me :-(

ghostmind

Someone recommend me some cool bad guy Star Wars sets, and don't say Death Star and Star Destroyer sets because I would love to have them but they are just waaaay too pricey for me :-(

Sets that you may still find in stores:

9500 Sith Interceptor
9492 TIE Fighter
9516 Jabba's Palace

Or if you can wait a few months:

75054 AT-AT
75055 Imperial Star Destroyer

Order online and do in store pick up. Price match at Walmart is exercise in frustration.

Dang, that Mos Eisley looks WAY better than i anticipated, the Cantina itself is only decent but the figs and that dewback to me look amazing!!! Seems like it even comes with a whole Luke's Landspeeder included (of which i got the last one as a whole set)

Anyone know that the price on this bad boy will be? I'm guessing not all that cheap with the amount of figs and big figs included :(

Has anyone had a problem the the sticker sheet not being in the joker steamroller set? I did take out the instructions yesterday but don't remember pulling out the sheet and now I can't find the sheet at all.

Tie Fighter
91efEebGyDL._SL500_.jpg

Sith Fury-class Interceptor
51hw2l6GivL._SL500_.jpg

Sets that you may still find in stores:

9500 Sith Interceptor
9492 TIE Fighter
9516 Jabba's Palace

Or if you can wait a few months:

75054 AT-AT
75055 Imperial Star Destroyer

What about the Death Star Troopers pack? Some great figs in this one.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to try and track down the Tie Fighter now and will also get the Death Star Troopers. Also Going to get the AT-AT and 75055 Star Destroyer. I can't decide if I should pick up the Sith Interceptor though, it comes with an awesome mini-fig but the ship seems pretty pricey. You guys think that ones worth the 80-90 price tag?

Just built the joker steamroller (sans 1 sticker on jokers gun) and it is a quite good build. It looks amazing when done though and a great collection of colours. The back end of it looks like a really cool tractor. Plus I didn't think I'd care for Jack Nicholson joker but he looks so cool with his hat. I'm very happy with it.

I'll get the bat wing done later this weekend. I'm looking forward to getting the bat family together. I really am becoming a minifig nut haha

Norfair

I would highly recommend the sith interceptor. It is a great build with a lot of pieces.

It is also much bigger then the pictures make it seem.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
So a while ago one of the first projects to it 10k on Cuusoo was The Winchester from Shaun of the Dead. Great! Except it was declined because "the film Shaun of the Dead contains content that is not appropriate for our core target audience of children ages 6-11". At the time I think we all assumed it was possibly because of the zombie references, but this is something TLG then disprove themselves by stuff like Monster Fighters.

It then makes sense that it was more because it was a pub, and had connotations to alcohol and whatnot. Just wondering how a set like Mos Eisley Cantina can exist and not The Winchester. I know Star Wars is a more kid-centered film, but in my mind they're both pictured as comedy/fantasy setting. On that note too, it got me wondering if there was a possibility of The Prancing Pony from LOTR or if that was a no-go as well. It would be a shame if it was the latter.

I love the Cantina, and im definitely buying, just crossed my mind when I was looking at it though.

ruxtpin

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to try and track down the Tie Fighter now and will also get the Death Star Troopers. Also Going to get the AT-AT and 75055 Star Destroyer. I can't decide if I should pick up the Sith Interceptor though, it comes with an awesome mini-fig but the ship seems pretty pricey. You guys think that ones worth the 80-90 price tag?

I think you can find it on sale at Amazon. I seem to remember grabbing it for $65.

mojiimbo

So a while ago one of the first projects to it 10k on Cuusoo was The Winchester from Shaun of the Dead. Great! Except it was declined because "the film Shaun of the Dead contains content that is not appropriate for our core target audience of children ages 6-11". At the time I think we all assumed it was possibly because of the zombie references, but this is something TLG then disprove themselves by stuff like Monster Fighters.

It then makes sense that it was more because it was a pub, and had connotations to alcohol and whatnot. Just wondering how a set like Mos Eisley Cantina can exist and not The Winchester. I know Star Wars is a more kid-centered film, but in my mind they're both pictured as comedy/fantasy setting. On that note too, it got me wondering if there was a possibility of The Prancing Pony from LOTR or if that was a no-go as well. It would be a shame if it was the latter.

I love the Cantina, and im definitely buying, just crossed my mind when I was looking at it though.
An expensive alcohol based set that only appeals to a niche audience based on a cult movie with almost a "fuck" a minute was always a nonstarter. The Simpsons is the most risqué thing they've done by a wide margin as far as I can remember.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
An expensive alcohol based set that only appeals to a niche audience based on a cult movie with almost a "fuck" a minute was always a nonstarter. The Simpsons is the most risqué thing they've done by a wide margin as far as I can remember.
I understand that, but bear in mind the only reasons they publicly declined it was because of content reasons, not business.

I don't think the Simpsons theme is that risqué either- theyve understandably avoided characters like Barney & Moe (thus far), but if there was a second wave of CMFs im pretty sure they would appear eventually.

In line now. Got here at 8 and there were already about 15 people in line. Probably over 50 now. 30 minutes til open.

Edit: actually looks closer to 100 people

I can't decide if I should pick up the Sith Interceptor though, it comes with an awesome mini-fig but the ship seems pretty pricey. You guys think that ones worth the 80-90 price tag?
It's worth the $80 on amazon, imo. Really great build and if you decide to break it down you have the pieces for a TIE MOC. I've never played the game and I couldn't bring myself to break it down because the ship is really cool.

I think you can find it on sale at Amazon. I seem to remember grabbing it for $65.
Ya, I got it for around there but it's been at $80 for a long time. If/when it goes on sale I'm getting a second one for MOC purposes.

I would highly recommend the sith interceptor. It is a great build with a lot of pieces.

It is also much bigger then the pictures make it seem.

I was literally just logging on to say that the Sith Interceptor was much smaller than I expected!

It was a terrific build though, so thanks to everybody who recommended it. It's like someone jammed as many bricks as they could into a small, dense space and shaped it like a Tie Fighter.

Bike Shop looks nice but you'll probably need two or three of those to make a modular sized building. It does come with a lot of useful building materials though.

I wish they would use a building like this to put rare elements and colours back in production, but then again I guess they want to limit the total available variations for cost effectiveness. Pleasing AFOLs who want to piece together six years old sets isn't a priority. Medium blue, dark blue, tan and dark red are pretty good colours though.

Is it just me, or is anyone avoiding the primary Lego colours? Maybe it's because I'm focusing on LotR and modulars but I have pretty much no regular red, blue, green or yellow pieces.

In and out in ten minutes. Went in, grabbed Simspons House, then jumped in line. PAB wall was normal, but they had 1x4x3 window frames AND the clear window pieces. Almost got back in line for that but they were sold out of Mixels so I didn't get them. Place was nuts.

In and out in ten minutes. Went in, grabbed Simspons House, then jumped in line. PAB wall was normal, but they had 1x4x3 window frames AND the clear window pieces. Almost got back in line for that but they were sold out of Mixels so I didn't get them. Place was nuts.

Were there any other unique items due to the opening? Sometimes they have fig packs don't they?

Ryuuroden

I understand that, but bear in mind the only reasons they publicly declined it was because of content reasons, not business.

I don't think the Simpsons theme is that risqué either- theyve understandably avoided characters like Barney & Moe (thus far), but if there was a second wave of CMFs im pretty sure they would appear eventually.

I think they mean content reasons as one movie was R rated and the other was PG rated? Soooo that sort of content?

Zerojul

Crappy cellphone pic of my 2xVIP stuff :
7 mixels, SeaCow and the Batman Pinguin set, 30€ credit for next time, not too bad. They were out of stock of two mixels at my local Lego Store though (Flain and Volectro), I hope I can find them somewhere else fast. Still happy they seem to be selling well :)

What is special about those openings? What is a store set?

3300003-1.jpg

They only give them away at grand openings for new stores. They are free with $75 purchase. They are rather rare, so they are sought after. I was just going to keep mine, but then I saw they go for over $100 on ebay. It's insane.

Top Bottom