• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Ponn

Banned
On the 25th Anniversary since its debut, prepare to set sail once more...

CuyORf4.jpg

See now i'm really re-considering Sea Cow all together. I wanted a good bulky ship (I already have LoTR Pirate Ambush) to try and MOC into a FF style airship but now I might as well wait. I appreciate the insanity of the Sea Cow and all but I will wait and see what this has to offer.

Bag 6 of Simpsons House done. One set of bags to go, which I will do tomorrow. I feel that final impressions will be the same as so far. Great stuff and small details, but with minor nitpicks dragging it down.

LaNaranja

Hi LEGO gaf! I am thinking of buying some Legos for my brother and figured I would check in with you guys to make sure they don't have some debilitating horrible flaw before buying them.

Also what is up with some of the super expensive sets? I think I may end up getting him that Hulk, Modok, Falcon, Thor set later as well as that Avengers set that comes with Loki and Hawkeye but they are so damn pricey :/

And does anyone know the release dates and prices for the X-Men and Guardians of the Galaxy sets that were shown at the toy convention recently?

Guardians sets are slated for June, last I saw. Same time as SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP!

As for the Hulk Lab Smash, I want it just for the figures. I could care less about the build. It has MODOK and Taskmaster.

For the sets listed, the Captain America vs. Hydra has gotten nothing but rave reviews here, so it should be safe. I still need to get it myself.
The Spider Cycle Chase also has nothing bust positive impressions here.
Cloud Cuckoo Palace nabs you Unikitty. How could it be bad?

But, to fall back into old habits, if you are looking for a $20 set that delivers on everything, Lex Luthor's Power Armor is still king for me.

6862_alt1.jpg

LaNaranja

Guardians sets are slated for June, last I saw. Same time as SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP!

As for the Hulk Lab Smash, I want it just for the figures. I could care less about the build. It has MODOK and Taskmaster.

For the sets listed, the Captain America vs. Hydra has gotten nothing but rave reviews here, so it should be safe. I still need to get it myself.
The Spider Cycle Chase also has nothing bust positive impressions here.
Cloud Cuckoo Palace nabs you Unikitty. How could it be bad?

But, to fall back into old habits, if you are looking for a $20 set that delivers on everything, Lex Luthor's Power Armor is still king for me.

Good to know, thanks! He already has that Lex Luthor one as well as the Batman one that has the Penguin.

I'm heading to the LEGO store tomorrow to take advantage of double points and the only sets on my radar are the Sea Cow, Simpsons House and Parisian Restaurant.

I haven't decided on which to get. I'm thinking at least one, and no more than two, but I kinda want to spread these out rather than taking the hit all at once. The double points is nagging me since I know those only happen twice a year and since all of them came out recently, I know I have a long time before they disappear.

I'm not sure which way to go yet....

See now i'm really re-considering Sea Cow all together. I wanted a good bulky ship (I already have LoTR Pirate Ambush) to try and MOC into a FF style airship but now I might as well wait. I appreciate the insanity of the Sea Cow and all but I will wait and see what this has to offer.

Same here except for display reasons... I LOVE the Pirate theme and since i only have the Black Pearl so far and missed out on the other ones, one can only hope for an awesome ship to be unveiled within this theme! The sea cow somehow doesn't entirely scratch that itch a true, accurate Pirate ship would for me!

I'm on vacation in Hawaii and stumble upon Silver Mine Shootout for $30 at a Ross my wife is shopping in. So I bought it. Now to figure out how to pack it. I may lose the box.

Now hopefully the LEGO store here maybe has some exclusive Hawaiian LEGO and this vacation will be a great success.

I'm on vacation in Hawaii and stumble upon Silver Mine Shootout for $30 at a Ross my wife is shopping in. So I bought it. Now to figure out how to pack it. I may lose the box.

Now hopefully the LEGO store here maybe has some exclusive Hawaiian LEGO and this vacation will be a great success.

In Hawaii and LEGO is a key component to a successful vacation. Wow.

Latest Haul that i found at some random toy store by chance!

YlCPrNf.jpg

These i just couldn't resist getting, though they're pretty common, cuteness overload, gotta have em for the figs alone (though some special pieces sweeten the deal as well)

y4xhrYU.jpg

Then, these guys here... I've NEVER seen these polybags in the wild in my area so i had to jump on it!! Especially that BatWing one WTF? First i've seen that one around hmmm...

If they do come out with new pirates, I want some sort of update for Islanders, I think that was a really great theme and wish they had made more sets for it. That line screamed for a volcano set.

wetwired

Another Stay Puft update, I'm waiting on some parts to finish the torso and start the arms, so in the meantime I figured out how exactly I'd attached the arms and head. I used some grey in the middle there temporarily. I've tried to make him a bit more plump too in the stomach area.

itbegins4.jpg

After taking this photo into photoshop I overlaid it on top of a photo of the real thing and the head is too small and needs to be about 25% bigger which is my next task, should work out well though as the hat was a bit big before but with larger head it should be in proportion. I figured I'd mockup the correct size and see how it'll look with the bib on.

itbegins4mockup.jpg

I intend to do the bib with printed paper (or perhaps even canvas like the pirates sails if I can figure out how to print the white line on it, anyone got any ideas?) The red tie will probably be lego bricks though and the hat will need to move up a bit and have a blue thing around it.

rallaren

I am now finished with the City of Atlantis set that I only got for its clean look. It's smaller than I thought however, and just as boring as it looked in the reviews I've watched. I do like the three green "flames" used as seaweed. Oh well. It's probably my last oop set in a while.

dzuhnFt.jpg

Scooby Doo stuff already exists:
ScoobyDooMystery.jpg

I prefer LEGO minifigs though. :)
I am aware of those and I've been trying to hunt down the minifigs. In the U.S., only TRU carries those. Velma and Daphne are only available as "rare" blind packs. The sets are outrageously expensive and the blind packs are impossible to find since only TRU carries them and I've only seen 1 box ever and someone punched holes in them to find the rare minifigs. They have 5 packs in the U.K. (the primary market where the parent company, Character Building, resides) that makes it easy to get Scooby Doo, Shaggy, and Freddy, but they are not available here in the U.S.

If anyone is able to find the whole gang for a reasonable price, I'd appreciate it.

I am now finished with the City of Atlantis set that I only got for its clean look. It's smaller than I thought however, and just as boring as it looked in the reviews I've watched. I do like the three green "flames" used as seaweed. Oh well. It's probably my last oop set in a while.

dzuhnFt.jpg

The City of Atlantis is decent looking. It makes for a decent setting to display underwater minifigs. I got it for the parts (especially the pillars) and minifigs.

Holmes continues his search for the identity of Bentbricks. by Bent Bricks, on Flickr

I intend to do the bib with printed paper (or perhaps even canvas like the pirates sails if I can figure out how to print the white line on it, anyone got any ideas?) The red tie will probably be lego bricks though and the hat will need to move up a bit and have a blue thing around it.

Definately canvas if you can. The closer you can get to something Lego would use themselves, the better IMO.

My first thought would be to simply tape off your lines and spray paint them white. There is probably a craft store paint that might hold better, but for a smooth look a spray would be best. You could actually just use white primer if you do not want a shine on the lines themselves.

Edit: I use Tamiya tape for fine hobby masking

mrkgoo

I'm overseas in Asia at the moment and have discovered a bunch of lego related info.

1) Japanese Lego is similar to US prices and thus diet cheap compared to NZ Lego. Unfortunately, timing being what it was, I didn't pick any up.

2) bought some new NanoBlock+ range which sits in between nanoblock's regular size and their larger size. Mostly as gifts.

3) found some knock-off or off-brand nano block sets that have mario, yoshi, monsters inc, despicable me and transformers properties.

4) found and off-brand minifigs collection. Loads of marvel characters. I think someone posted them here before. They look decent but have beveled feet instead of the usual square feet.

Europe or US ?

US

Latest Haul that i found at some random toy store by chance!

YlCPrNf.jpg

These i just couldn't resist getting, though they're pretty common, cuteness overload, gotta have em for the figs alone (though some special pieces sweeten the deal as well)

y4xhrYU.jpg

Then, these guys here... I've NEVER seen these polybags in the wild in my area so i had to jump on it!! Especially that BatWing one WTF? First i've seen that one around hmmm...

Ohhhh man I want that bat wing

ghostmind

Picked up the "Good Morning Bilbo Baggins" poly this morning. Love the print on the torso, it's even on the arms.

jMaDhQS.jpg

(Photo credit to Floundie on Eurobricks)

Smaug needs a scarf and deerstalker as a fun accessory (granted, someone will shop it in).

Let's just recreate Sherlock using both a Bilbo minifig and Smaug. I'd watch that for fun.

Fowler

So... I figured this was an appropriate time to show off my first real MOC since childhood: A map of Westeros from Game of Thrones.

The whole thing sits under our dining table on eight 32x32 blue baseplates and took an absurd amount of time to plot out and slowly piece together. It's fairly accurate too, but some artistic license had to be taken to make some areas look right when reduced to this "resolution" (like the Fingers, or various islands).

Here's the Wall and Castle Black, with the Haunted Forest (with the Fist of the First Men peeking out from over the trees).

I love how the Vale turned out. The red stud is for the Eyrie. Just behind it you can see the Twins, site of a certain major event in Season 3 of the TV show, while the darker (translucent) green pieces behind it are supposed to represent the swamplands of The Neck (with the Kingsroad running through it):

I know it's not much like the other amazing MOCs you guys do. I'm not very good at that stuff. But I love Game of Thrones and I've always loved maps, so this was a lot of fun and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. And it's the perfect size for our dining table!

One unexpected bonus I discovered when starting out -- LEGO maps look an awful lot like 8-bit RPG maps! I mean, it makes sense and I should have seen it coming. But it was still a nice surprise!

Fowler

Thanks all!! Was a bit nervous showing that off, glad everyone likes it :)

About half the pieces came from Pick A Brick walls. I spent a couple of months last year in the US, and hit up every LEGO store even vaguely near me to raid PAB walls for pieces (we don't have that sort of thing in HK). When I got home, I figured out how many more pieces I might need, and asked a friend to order the rest off LEGO.com for me. It was a big order...

The "tree" pieces were a lucky find on the website. Originally I was just going to layer darker green pieces on top of the light green ground. Then I found the "bracelet upper part" piece (element number 4619599). It's perfect.

The only thing that bothers me is Dragonstone. Just can't figure out a cool way to show the island as something different and distinctive. I found some sort of dragon-like helmet on the store that I intended to put there, but it's WAY too big. So... Any ideas?

wetwired

Definately canvas if you can. The closer you can get to something Lego would use themselves, the better IMO.

My first thought would be to simply tape off your lines and spray paint them white. There is probably a craft store paint that might hold better, but for a smooth look a spray would be best. You could actually just use white primer if you do not want a shine on the lines themselves.

Edit: I use Tamiya tape for fine hobby masking
I'll probably use paper at first to get the sizes right and then use that as a template for cloth or canvas. I'll just need to find one close to Lego dark blue and one that won't fray easily

Experien

Been lurking these parts for some time, so glad I can finally post! Not much of a MOCer but I find creative uses for sets!

April's Double VIP offer felt so good. I'm probably more excited to get this set than I should be...

Along with that I ordered a few sets and LEGO's Mixel Gray Collection. Funny thing is that they sent me an extra set of the collection. They listed the collection as well as each individual mixel on the invoice but only charged me for it once. Anyone had that happen to them?

And yes, I have contacted LEGO about this slip-up.

neonglow

Target Cartwheel App - Extra 10% Off

According to the poster, this stacks with the existing 20% off sale on LEGO.

http://toysnbricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=10507

It does. I've been using it all week though you can only purchase up to 4 LEGO sets for each transaction. You can reuse the same coupon multiple times.

The 20% sale + 10% Cartwheel + 5% Red Card means all City, Creator, Junior and Disney Princess sets are about 32% off.

ghostmind

Unless there is no particular order to this top 10, the UCS Falcon should be in the top 3.

Some interesting picks there, I agree with some of them, but I think they could have gone back for more than just the Galaxy Explorer.

Secondly, we all know that the Ghostbusters set is the true representative of the power of CUUSOO.

Zerojul

Unless there is no particular order to this top 10, the UCS Falcon should be in the top 3.

Some interesting picks there, I agree with some of them, but I think they could have gone back for more than just the Galaxy Explorer.

Secondly, we all know that the Ghostbusters set is the true representative of the power of CUUSOO.
I deeply agree with all of this, even if I don't own it I think UCS Falcon is one of the landmarks of the Lego line and should rank higher than 9.
I agree with them when they say than the idea of the DeLorean is better than the final product, even if I like it very very much I don't believe its'one of the 10 best Lego sets ever. Guess they wanted to talk about Cuusoo in some way.
Also surprised by the absence of any modular there. I know better than to read into this kind of rankings too seriously but still...
Nice to see Death Star and Orthanc up there though :)

Top Bottom