• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Zerojul

So discounts will happen for may 4th? Would they be available on the 3rd or would they hold back any sale for actual May the 4th?
I don't know how it works for the US, but here (France) the May the 4th campaign starts on 04/28 (next Monday) and ends on, well, 05/04. The 15% discounts will be available from the first day of the promotions. That much is very clear on the flyers / ads / whatever. What is totally unclear though is which sets will be discounted. Anyway I'd say that if the US promotion begins May the 3rd, it would make sense that the discounts begin the same day. I'm pretty sure Lego GAFfer WordAssassin works at a Lego store so maybe he could confirm it :)

Honestly I think some of these Simpsons heads are among their finest work.
Word :)

theaface

Just picked up 16 Simpsons CMFs from the Watford store. Had a good feel of all the packets and end up with 14 uniques (a spare Lisa and spare Marge, somehow). Just need Ralph and Ned to get them all.

Guess I'll be going back for the extra 2, unless any UK Lego gaffers here end up with duplicates and want to sell them to me?

Honestly I think some of these Simpsons heads are among their finest work.

thirded. I have been having a blast putting Simpsons heads on other minifigs. Something special about seeing Homer Fett.

Still waiting on some fun PB photos, like Bart Deadpool or Maggie Hulk ;P

Rootbeer

Banned
Got the remaining figs I needed to complete two sets from Target... Minus a scratchy. I'll work on getting a second of him over time. Plenty of opportunities to do so coming up.

Love this series!

Fowler

Just picked up the Red Five X-Wing as a birthday present to myself... then my friends called and said they bought me the Sydney Opera House too! Totally excited about that one -- it's one of those sets that's amazing but I'd never spend money on -- I just have no idea where to put it!!

Zerojul

Just picked up the Red Five X-Wing as a birthday present to myself... then my friends called and said they bought me the Sydney Opera House too! Totally excited about that one -- it's one of those sets that's amazing but I'd never spend money on -- I just have no idea where to put it!!

I've been on the edge about the Opera House, please post your impressions here if/when you build it :)

Finger... hovering over... Quinjet purchase button....

DOIT.gif

Speaking of Quinjet, are there any mods online to put the fans into the wings? I love the build but I was really bummed that they put the weird rotating little flappy things on the ends of the wings instead of the actual giant rotating fans, which are just plates with SHIELD logo stickers on them. :\

I can tell you this, you are in the right thread. We are slaves of LEGO here. I just hope nobody posts breaking up with a GF/wife, losing a house, etc.
I really dig this community, I always check the thread throughout the day to see what everyone's up to. :3

Maybe they make all their money off of staff :p

Dude the other day a customer bought Ewok Village, Palace Cinema, and one other monster set (I think Death Star) all at once. We would have to buy like everything in the store to match that amount of money @____@

rallaren

Quinjet also has that window piece that is only stuck with studs. That on sets feels a bit off to me. Anyone know why they made it that way? Classic sets never had that iirc.

Ironmask

The best set I've built, go for it.

DITTO FOR GREATNESS!!!

Speaking of Quinjet, are there any mods online to put the fans into the wings? I love the build but I was really bummed that they put the weird rotating little flappy things on the ends of the wings instead of the actual giant rotating fans, which are just plates with SHIELD logo stickers on them. :

I've seen this version, it was made months before the official set release so i don't know if it's doable on it (link on image)

quinjet-v3-0-set-2-1.jpg

oh and this should be an early official prototype

Quinjet-prototype-4.jpg

Speaking of Quinjet, are there any mods online to put the fans into the wings? I love the build but I was really bummed that they put the weird rotating little flappy things on the ends of the wings instead of the actual giant rotating fans, which are just plates with SHIELD logo stickers on them. :\
Someday I'm going to mod the Quinjet into a Halo Pelican.

but yeah, Quinjet was a surprisingly awesome set. Other sleeper hits are Jek-14's Stealth Starfighter and the Haunted House. R2-D2 was also way more fun than I expected, and the Death Star is the best LEGO set ever.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
If any of you have finished the LEGO Movie Game, then you've noticed that the playable Lord Business uses a minifigure scale Kragle as a weapon. Here's my test build with some crappy stickers that I printed with my Inkjet. I have some professionally printed stickers on the way, so hopefully they improve the look.

ZkjMIrG.jpg

I also just whipped up a custom Rocksteady minifigure (the hole in his head reveals his keychain roots).

f0hEZgE.jpg

neonglow

Just wanted to reiterate what I said on Tuesday... The Simpsons figs at Target are dated to hit shelves TODAY if you haven't found them yet. Hit up your local Target. Some have already put them out earlier this week, while some are keeping to the date.

And yes some stores in expensive areas are marking them up above the 3.99 MSRP, but it's hard to price match when nobody else has them advertised for sale yet. Personally I'm skipping any that are marked up :)

I get off work in 20 mins then rushing out to hopefully pick up the last of what I need.

Thanks for the tip. I'll visit several Targets today then.

Rootbeer

Banned
Whimsical Phil: Argh I haven't played the game yet, but makes sense that he'd use it as a weapon. Nice job btw. I need to build me a custom rocksteady as well :) And that is a very choice minifig head to use for the task.

Someday I'm going to mod the Quinjet into a Halo Pelican.

but yeah, Quinjet was a surprisingly awesome set. Other sleeper hits are Jek-14's Stealth Starfighter and the Haunted House. R2-D2 was also way more fun than I expected, and the Death Star is the best LEGO set ever.

Yeah I want that Starfighter... just holding off, hoping for a good clearance deal on it.

Always cool to see Quinjet love though. Bought that sucker in 2012 and remains of my finest LEGO purchases to-date.
Thanks for the tip. I'll visit several Targets today then.

Good luck... should note that Target has them on endcaps in the vertical boxes as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfgzgm3ZU60

So you know what to look for! (not my vid, but I was easily as happy as that guy)

Finger... hovering over... Quinjet purchase button....

Do it. Love mine and am never taking it apart.

It's great having Iron Man, Thor & Hulk (from the breakout set) chilling on the top of the Quinjet. Oh and Hulk is currently holding Loki by the leg. I'll snap a quick photo tonight of what it looks like at the moment.

Special shout out to my wonderful wife, who as I mentioned earlier, spied a fresh end cap of Simpsons minifigs going up at Target (not Meijer like I thought). She felt out 15 minifigs but had to get to an appointment. Later, she found she only had 3 doubles out of all those. She actually went back to the same store later and felt out the last 4 minifigs that were needed for the set!

4F4E4121-1F89-4DF1-8901-DB996EF13AC7.jpg

My doubles are a Bart, Itchy, and Krusty, The extra Bart is already skateboarding down the sidewalks of my modulars :)

Also, here are all my iron men suits lined up.

280C32DC-1DE3-4C8E-B42A-5D1925A3E345.jpg

wetwired

If any of you have finished the LEGO Movie Game, then you've noticed that the playable Lord Business uses a minifigure scale Kragle as a weapon. Here's my test build with some crappy stickers that I printed with my Inkjet. I have some professionally printed stickers on the way, so hopefully they improve the look.

ZkjMIrG.jpg

I also just whipped up a custom Rocksteady minifigure (the hole in his head reveals his keychain roots).

f0hEZgE.jpg

Awesome, I want one now, I remember seeing someone else do it and Beebop as well, I'll see if I can find it...

Found it!

tY7jwQN.jpg

Caladrius

Does anyone have recommendations for which sets would be good for getting a solid collection of pieces to start off with? I prefer making domestic and urban-styled stuff, if it helps.

Also, here are all my iron men suits lined up.

280C32DC-1DE3-4C8E-B42A-5D1925A3E345.jpg

The Tony Stark minifigs look the best out of the Marvel ones. I really like the white and blue variations in particular.

Well, I went to Lego and was gonna get the TMNT sub, but apparently my coworker was wrong and the discounts DON'T stack. So since it would be just the normal discount, and it's a brand new set, I decided not to get it.

However, being the sick fuck that I am with no willpower at all I still dropped $30 and got a big PAB cup, the little tiny Iron Man 3 set to complete my armor wall, a small blue baseplate, Hulk keychain, and the Space Needle for my dad.

*sighs heavily*

ghostmind

Well, I went to Lego and was gonna get the TMNT sub, but apparently my coworker was wrong and the discounts DON'T stack. So since it would be just the normal discount, and it's a brand new set, I decided not to get it.

However, being the sick fuck that I am with no willpower at all I still dropped $30 and got a big PAB cup, the little tiny Iron Man 3 set to complete my armor wall, a small blue baseplate, Hulk keychain, and the Space Needle for my dad.

*sighs heavily*

lOZKYux.jpg

It is unavoidable; it is your destiny.

(... and I buy most of my sets at other retail/Bricklink...)

Driving up to my parent's house for a quick visit, decided to stop by the Oxnard Target.

$21.55 later I have 5 Simpsons CMF. Wonder who I got...

lOZKYux.jpg

It is unavoidable; it is your destiny.

(... and I buy most of my sets at other retail/Bricklink...)

It keeps your VIP total? I rarely order online and never checked. Let's see the damage 2+ years have done to my bank account.

Like you, this doesn't account for my other retail purchases which is also quite substantial (always on sale or clearance though).

This is mine:

Since you have joined the VIP Program, you have earned a total 8,854 Points. There must be a very happy LEGO Fan close to you.

Mine:

Since you have joined the VIP Program, you have earned a total 5,130 Points. There must be a very happy LEGO Fan close to you.

Yeah, I dont have many VIP points. But a lot of my purchases are from other retailers due to not having a store nearby. But that is going to change soon. The store directly across the road from work is almost done. I am thinking mid May for opening.

Rootbeer

Banned
Nice Simpsons hauls all

neonglow: dang no homer?

When I was feeling packs today, i literally felt through 3 itchies before I found a scratchy. Still, gotta say though, this was by far the easiest series for me to pack feel. Not sure if it's my skills increasing or just an overall easier series, maybe both :)

Nice Simpsons hauls all

When I was feeling packs today, i literally felt through 3 itchies before I found a scratchy. Still, gotta say though, this was by far the easiest series for me to pack feel. Not sure if it's my skills increasing or just an overall easier series, maybe both :)

It is both. The unique heads on the figures combined with few accessories being the same among some of them makes it easier.

I still haven't found any figures after that first time the other week. I keep trying to find some so I can finally get Nelson and Chief Wiggum to complete the set.

neonglow

Nice Simpsons hauls all

There was only half a box at Walgreens so I'm lucky to get as many as I did.

Here's my VIP total:
Since you have joined the VIP Program, you have earned a total 5,284 Points. There must be a very happy LEGO Fan close to you.

I've had an account for about 5 years though I do most of my shopping at other retail stores.

kapowza

I don't have any Technic sets, but hear this 9398 Rock Crawler is a good one. Any thoughts? Is this price as good as it gets?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZS4SXQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've just finished building it this week, was good fun, not as complex as the unimog but still ridiculously clever and surprising at points. The finished truck is a bit slower than I expected but does a good job of getting over obstacles. In a continuing theme, the dog hates it.

Zerojul

According to hothbricks, the following sets will get the 15% discount during the May the 4th promotion :
7965 Millennium Falcon
10188 Death Star
10221 Super Star Destroyer
10225 R2-D2
10240 Red Five X-Wing Starfighter
75000 Clone Troopers vs. Droidekas
75002 AT-RT
75003 A.Wing Starfighter
75004 Z-95 Headhunter
75021 Republic Gunship

The site claims that this may not be the full list yet.
The soon-to-be retired SSD and R2 are part of the list and that's a very good thing for me :)

Also keep in mind that this list is for the French S@H, but I would be surprised if it varies much from one region to another.
Edit : it seems you still get VIP points for the discounted item. A 100€ set discounted to 85€ will give you 85 points.

Kyari

Sad if true. Wanted to pick up the Jedi Defender from SWTOR seeing as it's been miss-priced in the uk since it launched :/

According to hothbricks, the following sets will get the 15% discount during the May the 4th promotion :
7965 Millennium Falcon
10188 Death Star
10221 Super Star Destroyer
10225 R2-D2
10240 Red Five X-Wing Starfighter
75000 Clone Troopers vs. Droidekas
75002 AT-RT
75003 A.Wing Starfighter
75004 Z-95 Headhunter
75021 Republic Gunship

The site claims that this may not be the full list yet.
The soon-to-be retired SSD and R2 are part of the list and that's a very good thing for me :)

Also keep in mind that this list is for the French S@H, but I would be surprised if it varies much from one region to another.
Edit : it seems you still get VIP points for the discounted item. A 100€ set discounted to 85€ will give you 85 points.

Alright time for some speculation then...

No Ewok Village on discount then? In that case should i grab the Red Five X-wing or rather go all out and actually get the Death Star? Keep in mind i am more of a display set kinda guy and DS is one big playset though you could say it is several vignettes all in one big package...

but man, i didn't wanna spend that much, 400 euro, that's almost 500 bucks DAMNIT :(((

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I don't have any Technic sets, but hear this 9398 Rock Crawler is a good one. Any thoughts? Is this price as good as it gets?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZS4SXQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Price wise, that's really good if you're on Prime.

I had the set for a bit. I bought it because I thought having a remote control vehicle would be the shit. And it was! But as kapowza said, it's a bit slower than I was expecting. If you're good with Technic, you can probably mess with the gear ratios (or look up a mod for it) to increase the speed.

Overall really cool set, though.

Top Bottom