• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Caladrius

I have this feeling pick-a-brick online is going to be a very dangerous vice.

I'm struggling to make an order under $20 and I'm just stocking up on blue plates.

One of my photos made it to official LEGO Netherland Facebook page! :)
It was for this past Easter.

https://www.facebook.com/LEGONether...6942725/249039645283643/?type=1&stream_ref=10

10168016_249039645283643_5545903267340210755_n.jpg

Spreading some Galaxy Squad love.

Very nice.

I'm just biding my time with Galaxy Squad. I've looked over the sets at work now and a lot of them seem to be "giant thing that separates and becomes two smaller things" designs and I'm into it. They're not selling worth a damn though and everyone and their mom knows their days are numbered with the new themes coming out this year. There's gotta be some kind of sale on them to clear out stock and that is when I will strike.

I'm just biding my time with Galaxy Squad. I've looked over the sets at work now and a lot of them seem to be "giant thing that separates and becomes two smaller things" designs and I'm into it. They're not selling worth a damn though and everyone and their mom knows their days are numbered with the new themes coming out this year. There's gotta be some kind of sale on them to clear out stock and that is when I will strike.
Vermin Vaporizer, Bug Obliterator, Eradicator Mech, and Hive Crawler are your priorities. If you sacrifice one, it should be the mech. Sorry, as awesome as the mech is (VERY awesome), it is the weakest of those four. And those four are the strongest of the series.

Vermin Vaporizer, Bug Obliterator, Eradicator Mech, and Hive Crawler are your priorities. If you sacrifice one, it should be the mech. Sorry, as awesome as the mech is (VERY awesome), it is the weakest of those four. And those four are the strongest of the series.

Son of a bitch the Mech is the one I want the most. I'm not really into the alien side of the line because, and I know this is super dumb, but bugs creep me out. The Hive Crawler looks cool but I honestly think it's gross D:

The list of the ones I want is essentially your list but with the Galactic Titan replacing the Hive Crawler. It just looks so huge and menacing and for some reason reminds me of the white bronto Zord from the original Power Rangers. I also kinda want to get a couple of the little Space Swarmers.

As it stands I could get all of those for about $150, but again, they're not long for this world and since they don't sell (seriously each night when we stock we never bring out more than one or two of them, it's sad) I can't imagine them not putting them on discount to clear them out. I remember when the Alien Invasion wasn't moving and they had to clear space they went on mega sale, that's how I got my Tripod for like... $20? Unless Lego just recalls everything and melts them down into new sets... (Note: I have no idea if they actually do this)

Edit: Aw what, is the Star Slicer the only set that comes with the red bad guy? Guess I'll have to throw one of those on the list too, luckily mantises don't really creep me out that bad.
Edit 2: Dang even that little car in the Star Slicer breaks into two parts? This line is way cool why the hell isn't it selling?!
Edit 3: The Red Team only comes with the Mosquito mech or the Hive Crawler so if I want the whole Squad I'm gonna have to swallow sadness and just buy the whole fucking collection. I guess I just won't build the nasty bug mechs though, use the parts for MOCs that aren't so nasty. *shakes fist angrily at Lego*

Son of a bitch the Mech is the one I want the most. I'm not really into the alien side of the line because, and I know this is super dumb, but bugs creep me out. The Hive Crawler looks cool but I honestly think it's gross D:

The list of the ones I want is essentially your list but with the Galactic Titan replacing the Hive Crawler. It just looks so huge and menacing and for some reason reminds me of the white bronto Zord from the original Power Rangers. I also kinda want to get a couple of the little Space Swarmers.

As it stands I could get all of those for about $150, but again, they're not long for this world and since they don't sell (seriously each night when we stock we never bring out more than one or two of them, it's sad) I can't imagine them not putting them on discount to clear them out. I remember when the Alien Invasion wasn't moving and they had to clear space they went on mega sale, that's how I got my Tripod for like... $20? Unless Lego just recalls everything and melts them down into new sets... (Note: I have no idea if they actually do this)

Edit: Aw what, is the Star Slicer the only set that comes with the red bad guy? Guess I'll have to throw one of those on the list too, luckily mantises don't really creep me out that bad.
Edit 2: Dang even that little car in the Star Slicer breaks into two parts? This line is way cool why the hell isn't it selling?!
Edit 3: The Red Team only comes with the Mosquito mech or the Hive Crawler so if I want the whole Squad I'm gonna have to swallow sadness and just buy the whole fucking collection. I guess I just won't build the nasty bug mechs though, use the parts for MOCs that aren't so nasty. *shakes fist angrily at Lego*
The mantis from Star Slicer is both cool and infinitely disappointing at the same time. The blue vehicle was pretty awesome though.

Galactic Titan was a disappointment for me. I was super duper hyped for it, and was lukewarm to it in the end. The drop ship part is great, but the bug tank part just feels so bare in the end. It really should have been better than it wound up being.

Hive Crawler was one of my favorite sets of last year though. I had minimal expectations of it after all the other bug sets, but I felt like a little kid as I finished it and terrorized my pets with it. Just a ton of fun. I have been pimping that set HARD since I got it. Some others loved it, but not to the levels I did.

But Bug Obliterator and Vermin Vaporizer are probably the most acclaimed on here, and with very good reason. If you get any two from the series, it is those two.

But Hive Crawler is still my favorite. :)

I'm the same with the Galaxy Squad sets, I want all the teams/ships but don't care about the bugs; all they do is make my ships more expensive. :mad:

I wish there was a Lego store near me (and that I had money), there are zero GS sets left in my area and when they were on clearance, most were only $5 cheaper; though, I did find the Obliterator and Eradicator for about 40% full price.

I ordered the Star Slicer and Space Swarmer from the lego site last week, the Slicer is currently only $20.

Just grabbed the last 14 bags of Simpsons figures at my local Targret. Hopefully not too many doubles but I have a bad feeling about it.

wetwired

Being the whore that I am I've made a facebook page for Lego Ghostbusters, mainly for the official set but I intend to post other peoples ghostbusters MOCs and related info on there if you're so inclined here's the link

I got bored tonight and messed around with 4440 Forest Police Station. Made it a multi-story version:

Not the greatest but it is going to save some room on my shelf. Not a ton, but enough.

Also, the green is a bit of a hill that will blend in a bit when I put it with the rest of my stuff.

Zerojul

Recieved this from LEGO this afternoon...

MBo4RDa.jpg

Well that didn't help much...

Hhmm it doesn't say that the discounts will be 15% whereas the European ads clearly do... Maybe you guys will get a bigger discount ? I read you had 50% off the UCS B-Wing last year, right ?

Hhmm it doesn't say that the discounts will be 15% whereas the European ads clearly do... Maybe you guys will get a bigger discount ? I read you had 50% off the UCS B-Wing last year, right ?

of course they will, those bastards will probably get 75% off ALL Star Wars sets this year or something!!! All the while we get these measly 15% markdowns which are a total joke compared to even the faintest amazon discount :(((

Man i wish i lived in the states just for Lego, it would save me SO much money in the long run!!

On to happier tidings, i finally bought Dolphin Cruiser after MUCH debating, i couldn't resist grabbing it at 30% off on amazon!

ghostmind

tjJBZqg.jpg

zlDx8T7.jpg

G4hmvQu.jpg

5vOc6uf.jpg

phvQhvj.jpg

WbfGIKj.jpg

1kQbrvI.jpg

5dGt8om.jpg

npiJzWO.jpg

Q7IkeVZ.jpg

qAY8Qld.jpg

VtJWYJx.jpg

dCb7b5p.jpg

So much for the modular rumor...LOL.

We should see a press release, and a designer vid, in about 36 minutes (from the time of the original post)...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Expert series. And yeah, not very modular-ish. Can't say I'm not disappointed really.
(lol at barfing green cherries)

Sick man's face and girl's face with wide open eyes are interesting heads to have though.

Would prefer some kind of led lights like lifelites.com instead of glow-in-the-dark pieces tbh.

ghostmind

The press release:

10244 Fairground Mixer

1,746 Pieces, US $149.99 - CA $179.99 – AU $199.99 - DE 129.99€ - UK £119.99 - DK 1,199.00 DKK

Climb aboard the LEGO Fairground Mixer and hold onto your hat! Unfold the awesome Fairground Mixer, turn the crank and see it come to life! The fair has come to town and children and adults alike can’t wait to try the rides. Buy your ticket from the ticket booth and climb aboard the Mixer. Then try reaching the golden bell on the high striker or hit the target to plunge the dunk tank lady into the water. As evening falls, the swirling Mixer ride glows in the darkness, before being folded down onto its own trailer for transportation to the next town. This magical fairground is packed with wonderful details that will capture everyone’s imagination.

Includes 12 minifigures: a juggling man on stilts, dunk tank lady, strong man challenger, ticket lady, truck driver/ride operator, 2 women, 2 girls, 2 boys and a queasy man who tried the mixer one too many times. Enjoy the magical atmosphere of the fairground with the LEGO Fairground Mixer, packed with exciting features and imaginative details.

• Includes 12 minifigures: a juggling man on stilts, dunk tank lady, strong man challenger, ticket lady, truck driver, ride operator, 2 women, 2 girls, 2 boys and a queasy man who tried the mixer one too many times
  • Features working Fairground Mixer ride with crank operation, 2 transport trucks, high striker and dunk tank • Includes glow-in-the-dark elements
  • Mixer truck has opening doors, windshield wipers and removable roof to access interior with bed and TV • Accessory truck holds ticket booth, high-striker and dunk tank
  • Accessories include: ice cream, popsicle, lime green cherries, teddy bear, juggling pins and a large and small mallet for the high-striker
  • Easily upgrade the Mixer ride with LEGO Power Functions motors (not included)
  • Enjoy the fun of the fair!
  • Includes over 1,700 pieces
  • Fairground Mixer ride unfolded measures over 11” (30cm) high, 17” (45cm) long and 12” (31cm) wide

Available June 1st (May 15th for LEGO VIPs)

theaface

Disappointed it's not a modular, but after watching the video, I can't help but be impressed at how cleverly designed it all is. Very inventive design, which I have a lot of respect for.

It's super cool how everything fits into the trucks but I've got to say I'm not really feeling it though. Hopefully the Lego mini isn't too far behind.

Also I got to the '1932' part of the fire brigade Nx I spend about 10 minutes trying to get all the pieces straight but they always twisted when I fit them into the roof. Very annoying.

Fowler

I was a little disappointed at first that it isn't a modular -- I was really really wondering how they'd fit it into the modular city and loved the idea of a little variety -- but man, that video blew me away. I love how it all fits on the trucks. The set looks like it's full of awesome touches and ideas.

Zerojul

On to happier tidings, i finally bought Dolphin Cruiser after MUCH debating, i couldn't resist grabbing it at 30% off on amazon!

I didn't know which set that was (I have next to no knowledge of the Friends line), looked it up and am now tempted to get one to put Unikitty (barf version) on it. Maybe if I get a good discount...

For the mixer set I'm not totally sold on it right now. Lots of interesting ideas here and there though... Maybe the video will convince me...

ghostmind

Looking at the other designers featured in the Fairground Mixer intro, I see...

Marcos Bessa - Brent's Ghostbusters set
Adam Grabowski - MINI Cooper MK VII
The designer of the Sandcrawler (it's from the same video)

And 2 others that I don't recognize... I'm thinking one of them designed Santa's Workshop... the other???

ghostmind

Watching the Designer video a few more times, I am impressed by the design of the set, and how all the parts unfold off the two trucks. It definitely feels like a Jamie set, and not just not another CITY product.

Also happy that the glow-in-the-dark feature is achieved by gitd elements, and not stickers. Making it power-functions-compatible is another big plus.

Speaking of which, this is what you need for PF for this set:

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power-Functions-M-Motor-8883
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power-Functions-AAA-Battery-Box-88000

If you have a LEGO train with PF, then you already have the battery box.

Fowler

Watching the Designer video a few more times, I am impressed by the design of the set, and how all the parts unfold off the two trucks. It definitely feels like a Jamie set, and not just not another CITY product.

Also happy that the glow-in-the-dark feature is achieved by gitd elements, and not stickers. Making it power-functions-compatible is another big plus.

No cheats or corners cut. Everything comes off the two trucks. And everything snaps together easily. Just brilliant.

(And the back of the box appears to show more touches he didn't show -- like the bed on top of the truck for the driver to nap in?)

That set looks sweeeeeeeet!!

Stopped by the Oxnard Target again on my way back down to LA, got

Homer
Nelson
Marge
Maggie
Itchy

Itchy is the mouse right?

So now I have

2x Homer
2x Lisa
Marge
Maggie
2x Nelson
Ralph
Itchy

Apparently Lego stores will start selling them May 1st, NOT after the special episode airs on the 4th. I'm so confused since I keep getting told different things practically every day >_<

Anyone else notice that Itchy's head feels like it's made out of rubber instead of hard plastic like everyone else's?

Ehhhh... I'm impressed by the ingenuity of it all, but for me the folding onto trucks is a waste. All those pieces for trucks that will just sit in the back or be dismantled entirely. I would have liked a permanent fairground that could sit between the modular houses.

I guess it's an excellent display for tons of figures, but you also need tons of space. Guess this one's not for me. I'm still getting Spaceship^3 and Ecto-1 in June so that might actually be a good thing.

I do hope Jamie still found time to design the 2015 modular, because that's what I really want. Or maybe the Pirates flagship.

Zerojul

Okay this is crazy. I just went to a store around the corner a few minutes to get a bite to a bite and a few beers for tonight, went through their tiny toys alley and stumbled upon a 75003 A-Wing set for cheaper than on Amazon or with the 15% May the 4th discount. I swear, I can't do anything without having Lego following me around at every corner. Of course I had to buy it. It's a trap ! :)

neonglow

Defintely skipping Fairground Mixer.

All those modular rumours got to me, and now im just disappointed and sad.

Something got messed up in the translation for the rumors. It wasn't modular as in Modular Building, but more like the annual Winter Village sets. If this sells well, we'll have an entire carnival.

It'd be nice to eventually have an entire circus with elephants and lions.

Ironmask

that Fairground Mixer is really something unexepected and unique. I've always avoided the city and modular sets because i know that then i want all of them but this is a really nice display set, good to awe the people when they see it in action. (i'm sure it'll be a bitch to build)

Rootbeer

Banned
Hmm, Fairground Mixer... Well, I'm impressed with some aspects of it, like that it actually fits onto two trucks as shown in the video. A lot of careful design there. Love how it unfolds and connects, LEGO is getting a lot better at working that sort of thing into sets that 'transform' from one thing to another. All great.

But... just not sure it's for me. I think the carnies that run the carnival don't look "carnie" enough for my liking, wish they'd played that up a little more. None of the minifigs are especially interesting or stand-out, though you do get a lot of them which is nice.

It's the kind of set that if I could get on discount I may jump on it... but LEGO pretty much ruined that possibility

Apparently Lego stores will start selling them May 1st, NOT after the special episode airs on the 4th. I'm so confused since I keep getting told different things practically every day >_<

Yup, sounds like retail :p been there!

Grats on the Simpsons finds

yep count me on the disappointed side as well.. i was expecting something similar to the Grand Carroussel, something that when displayed is just marvelous to look at... this however, seems like a huge playset to me which i am not really that interested in!

Will avoid reviews etc. though because i have a tendency of letting myself be easily swayed when it comes to Lego sets lol, i am GLAD to not have to buy a big set for once ;)

yep count me on the disappointed side as well.. i was expecting something similar to the Grand Carroussel, something that when displayed is just marvelous to look at... this however, seems like a huge playset to me which i am not really that interested in!

Will avoid reviews etc. though because i have a tendency of letting myself be easily swayed when it comes to Lego sets lol, i am GLAD to not have to buy a big set for once ;)

I agree. Tons of playability but not much displayability. Could be fun to build though, I bet Jamie has all kinds of crazy design solutions as always. I forget, is Winter Village Market very wintery? It could be a good idea to combine them.

ghostmind

Hmm, Fairground Mixer... Well, I'm impressed with some aspects of it, like that it actually fits onto two trucks as shown in the video. A lot of careful design there. Love how it unfolds and connects, LEGO is getting a lot better at working that sort of thing into sets that 'transform' from one thing to another. All great.

But... just not sure it's for me. I think the carnies that run the carnival don't look "carnie" enough for my liking, wish they'd played that up a little more. None of the minifigs are especially interesting or stand-out, though you do get a lot of them which is nice.

It's the kind of set that if I could get on discount I may jump on it... but LEGO pretty much ruined that possibility

Yup, sounds like retail :p been there!

Grats on the Simpsons finds

The minifigs are the sore spot for me as well. I think the problem is that LEGO has been recycling torso prints far too often of late - other than the new "barfing" face print, I already have multiples of every torso, legs, face, and hairpiece for all the minifigs in this set. That, to me, brings the set down a bit, because the minifigs feel generic and "thrown together", which is the opposite of what I think the set itself is trying to achieve. One thing I really like about the Movie sets is that the "City" characters look new and interesting, because they are new, and just not yet another variation on the same torsos, legs, faces, etc.

Zerojul

After watching the designer video for the Fairground Mixer set I think I'll get it only if there's a substantial discount on it (30%-ish). I'll need to get some plates and trees and stuff on the side to build an exterior setting around it to give it a more consistent aspect (like on the box shot). It looks kind of "naked" and bare when displayed on a table like that, if that makes any sense. It lacks green. I'm still impressed with some features of the set though...

Top Bottom