• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

What's the best way for an Aussie to get bricks to build wetwired's tumbler? I'm guessing Bricklink but I might also use the Lego Shop site. Any thoughts Aussies?

Zerojul

It would also be nice if LEGO could get over their huge aversion to baseplates in sets. Obviously they have no problem selling them separately, but I think some sets have suffered with their resistance to include them these days.
That's exactly what's offputting for me about this set. It needs base plates to make it a set, as it is it's just a bunch of cool-looking designs with good ideas put one next to another IMO. It lacks cohesion.

Exactly my thoughts. In te end just how many times are you gonna use that initial feature of unloading once you've done it to see how it works? Then all that's left will be a set that doesn't look THAT great when set up. nah i'll sit this one out and invest that cash in other sets instead

While I agree, that's probably what people said about Market Street before there was an entire series that you'd want to collect...

While I agree, that's probably what people said about Market Street before there was an entire series that you'd want to collect...

Oh sure, if this is only PART of a whole Carnival series, and we'd eventually get a Ferris Wheel, a Haunted mansion, etc etc. then yeah i could see the appeal, but as it stands currently, not really for me at this point!

wetwired

Another attempt at the Ghostbusters Terror Dog, This time I tried to get the head right and worked backwards, I'm mostly happy with the head, but the scale is just crazy huge and the mixel ball joints just aren't big enough to support the body so I gave up before getting to the back legs. Here it is anyway, with photoshopped reddish brown to dark brown to see how it might look if it was all the same colour...

terrordog2.jpg

Gonna scrap it though and attempt something smaller and closer to scale with that chima lion set.

wetwired

What's the best way for an Aussie to get bricks to build wetwired's tumbler? I'm guessing Bricklink but I might also use the Lego Shop site. Any thoughts Aussies?

When I first built it, bricklink was and probably still is the only real way to go, you'll likely have to order from multiple sellers though

Another attempt at the Ghostbusters Terror Dog, This time I tried to get the head right and worked backwards, I'm mostly happy with the head, but the scale is just crazy huge and the mixel ball joints just aren't big enough to support the body so I gave up before getting to the back legs. Here it is anyway, with photoshopped reddish brown to dark brown to see how it might look if it was all the same colour...

terrordog2.jpg

Gonna scrap it though and attempt something smaller and closer to scale with that chima lion set.

Looks good. If the Mixel joints are not enough for the back, perhaps use the click hinge pieces? It won't be as posable, but it might be more stable? Worth a try and should be the same scale.

Ponn

Banned
Dont know how or why but i was browsing Amazon WHD for Lego at 4am and they had a like new AC Alien Abduction for $30. MSRP for an oop set so i jumped on it. Finally ordered Alien Tripod to. Now all i need is the White House set for my Independance Day scene. Think I will rebuild my Mothership today to get me in mood.

Dont know how or why but i was browsing Amazon WHD for Lego at 4am and they had a like new AC Alien Abduction for $30. MSRP for an oop set so i jumped on it. Finally ordered Alien Tripod to. Now all i need is the White House set for my Independance Day scene. Think I will rebuild my Mothership today to get me in mood.

i have both the mothership and the abduction sets and LOVE them!! Ac was great

Finally finished the Town Hall this afternoon having done the ground floor a couple of weeks ago but then getting caught up on other stuff. Enjoyable build and nice touches including the lift, clocktower and sky light.

It's the first modular I've looked at parts during the build and been tempted to just use them on a MOC rather than building but I got there. It's worth it as the size is good next to the other modulars I think.

A little more progress on my arcade; got Derby Owners Club done.

Fowler

Finally finished the Town Hall this afternoon having done the ground floor a couple of weeks ago but then getting caught up on other stuff. Enjoyable build and nice touches including the lift, clocktower and sky light.

It's the first modular I've looked at parts during the build and been tempted to just use them on a MOC rather than building but I got there. It's worth it as the size is good next to the other modulars I think.

Loving all the arcade cabinets, they look awesome!

Ponn

Banned
I have this crazy idea of one day hanging it up on the ceiling with some nylon threads or something so it'd look like an actual flying saucer... hmm

If they made some technic struts and more bricks in clear could make a stand for it but yea its bulky awkward size and shape forced me to take it apart before.

I think the mothership is way too big for play or display. I'm not sure I'll ever rebuild mine.

I got it at 50% off a few months ago and haven't built it. If I do it would definitely need some nylon for display.

Wow -- just saw what happened to you. Sounds scary as hell, really hope you get through it.

Thank you!

I love the Town Hall's elevator. Very cool touch.

Your arcade builds are still awesome. What's the endgame? Do you have the pieces to build them or are you planning on a big Bricklink order?

I'm thinking I'll buy the Falcon for the May 4th promotion.

Definitely will if it's any less than ~120 or so.

The trick will be to convince my gf not to choke me to death.

Loving all the arcade cabinets, they look awesome!

Thanks. I can't wait to actually start building them but right now I need to put them all into Brickstore and consolidate so I can then upload to Bricklink. I've got 3 MOC modulars on the go right now so have hit Bricklink hard recently.

Build time should be June as my wife is away for 3 weeks visiting her family abroad.

Kyari

Awesome, I want one now, I remember seeing someone else do it and Beebop as well, I'll see if I can find it...

Found it!

tY7jwQN.jpg

Sorry to pull this back up several pages in, anyone know where the pighead came from for this? Also where the torso for Rocksteady came from?

Your arcade builds are still awesome. What's the endgame? Do you have the pieces to build them or are you planning on a big Bricklink order?

I have placed big orders recently to build the actual arcade (somehwere around £400 as I have 2 other modulars on the go) and have about 2300 of 2800 bricks I need for this one so will start the build soon. Size is 32 by 32 (modular scale so with pavement) and each floor is about 8 bricks high, there are 6 floors. Then there is the annex (for escalators) which is currently on a 8 by 32 but might move up to a 16 by 32.

While doing the main build I will place orders for the cabinet parts. I need to total up how many of each cabinet I want to build then I'll have an idea of the number of bricks I will need.

Just finished Gundam Musou and World Club Champion to go on my multi-player sim floor. I'll render them tomorrow, too late now.

I want to do a render of all cabinets too but might wait till I have them all done.

Sorry to pull this back up several pages in, anyone know where the pighead came from for this? Also where the torso for Rocksteady came from?

It was a kickstarter from a well known AFOL (at least to me since I've seen his involvement with Iron Builder and a few LEGO blogs).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/406037970/pigs-vs-cows-custom-accessories-for-brickcon-2013

He also did a recent one for custom skull heads. Here's his flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32482342@N05/

You can buy his stuff here:

http://crazybricks.bigcartel.com/products

wetwired

Looks good. If the Mixel joints are not enough for the back, perhaps use the click hinge pieces? It won't be as posable, but it might be more stable? Worth a try and should be the same scale.

The joints aren't the only issue, it's just way too big, I want it at least close to minifig scale, I'm going to have to sacrifice looks and possibility for size as I want it to fit in a small vignette of the rooftop scene at the end of the movie.

Kyari

It was a kickstarter from a well known AFOL (at least to me since I've seen his involvement with Iron Builder and a few LEGO blogs).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/406037970/pigs-vs-cows-custom-accessories-for-brickcon-2013

He also did a recent one for custom skull heads. Here's his flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32482342@N05/

You can buy his stuff here:

http://crazybricks.bigcartel.com/products

Excellent! Much appreciated.

Also, the May 4th deal has started in the UK as of midnight just gone. The Jedi Defender is in the 15% off deal, which I will be jumping on.

Kyari

Are any of the exclusives on sale?

Super Star Destroyer, Death Star, Red Five and R2-D2 are on sale. There are a LOT of things on sale, its a far greater list than what was assumed based on the VIP Preview.
Sandcrawler is obviously NOT on sale.

Turns out Rocksteady's torso is from the small Iron Man vs. Mandarin set. Here's the piece on BrickLink:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=973pb1389c01

Spotted that one myself, cheers. Will probably be ordering the parts to put those together myself at the end of the month. Also going to pick up the Baxter Robot Rampage set, which has been 50% off for months now, as I don't have a Donatelo.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Spotted that one myself, cheers. Will probably be ordering the parts to put those together myself at the end of the month. Also going to pick up the Baxter Robot Rampage set, which has been 50% off for months now, as I don't have a Donatelo.

Yeah, I just snagged all of those Bebop/Rocksteady body parts off of BrickLink. I might have to hold off on a pig head, though. They don't seem to sell individual "normal" pig heads...I may have to get a set with multiple pig/cow heads. Bah!

neonglow

Looking at the sales in other regions, it looks like every recent set except for the Sandcrawler and Microfighters is discounted 15% off.

Zerojul

Looking at the sales in other regions, it looks like every recent set except for the Sandcrawler and Microfighters is discounted 15% off.

No discount on the Ewok Village either. Should make choices easier for some of us. There's a 15% discount on microfighters if you buy the complete pack though.

Super Star Destroyer, Death Star, Red Five and R2-D2 are on sale. There are a LOT of things on sale, its a far greater list than what was assumed based on the VIP Preview.
Sandcrawler is obviously NOT on sale.

Exactly what I didn't need to hear as I now have to buy the Jedi Defender. Ho hum, off to the Lego store I guess.

Interesting info on LEGO Classic Space:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68168&st=50#entry1619451

Niels Milan Pedersen, one of the creators of LEGO Space, confirms this in the Summer 2009 issue of Brickjournal. In his words, "There were a lot of disagreemnets about the aerials and other elements that pointed forwards on the ships because of the 'no war' policy. We were not allowed to make weapons, and those things we built looked aggeressive, so there were a lot of 'radar dishes' and 'sensor probes', but to us they were really guns!" Jens Nygaard Knudsen, another LEGO Space creator and the inventor of the LEGO Minifigure, also confirms in that issue that the red and white classic spacemen were originally designed to be enemies (other sources suggest that the white spacemen were meant as astronauts and the red ones cosmonauts). Jens also confirms that the black classic space minifigures were imagined as warriors, even if they were not allowed to say this explicitly.

In one of the comments to article:
http://brickset.com/article/10967/cuusoo-exo-suit-logo-revealed

From Jens Nygaard Knudsen, one of the original LEGO Space designers and the inventor of the LEGO minifigure: "We started with only Red and White figures, we considered the red ones to be the 'bad' guys, and that they were two competing factions.... The original two colors were explorers, yellow were scientists, blues were technicians or mechanics and I guess the black were warriors, but we were not allowed to make a big deal out of this. We were not allowed to make war."

And from Niels Milan Pedersen, another classic space designer: "There were a lot of disagreements about the aerials and other elements that pointed forwards on the ships because of the 'no war' policy. We were not allowed to make weapons, and these things we built looked aggressive, so there were a lot of 'radar dishes' added and 'sensor probes', but to us they were really guns!"

wetwired

It was stated already but I think you could possibly use this torso with grey arms for rocksteady

973pb133c01.jpg

Bebopandrocksteady.jpg

It's a closer colour than the manderin

A few other options...

973pb1113c01.jpg

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I think I'll skip on getting the Revan minifigure. Haven't really played KOTOR, Millenium Falcon can be gotten cheaper elsewhere, and there's no other current Star Wars set I'm interested in other than the new Sandcrawler - which is a bit expensive right now. Maybe when I get a bonus.

Finished building the Simpsons house last night. Was also able to pick up 11 of the Simpsons CMFs. The CMFs are very cool and I wish I had hung out at Target longer to get the last 5 I need. Anyway, thoughts on the Simpsons house:

The overall build was a lot of fun and all the little details were great. I had a blast building the furniture (tv, beds, bookshelves, etc). I only had a couple of nitpicks:
-Why no proper roof for the car?
-I think some of the added stuff that doesn't attach to the house (lawnchairs for one) are pointless. They're just extra crap my cat might steal.
-I wish you could access the 1st floor front of the house like the rest. I like both the modular and HH(dollhouse) style of looking at things for the rest of the house, but for some reason you don't get the modular option for the 1st floor-front.

The house is pretty big and ranks up there with my favourite builds. Hoping they come out with more sets!

Chuckie

From the comments on that thread, I too made the "camera" accessory into a bazooka and the "megaphone" into a ray gun :)

I can honestly say that I never even knew it was a camera. I always considered it a bazooka. And like you I also made ray guns with the megaphones.

ghostmind

Thanks for that! I never knew the different colored spacemen had unofficial factions/jobs.

CVxUeFQ.jpg

And as a young kid, in the middle of the original Star Wars trilogy in theatres, I definitely had decided that those front fork parts were laser weapons, and the large engines on each wing were actually rocket pods.

Very cool stuff. Really surprised to hear about the different factions and whatnot.

From the comments on that thread, I too made the "camera" accessory into a bazooka and the "megaphone" into a ray gun :)
The megaphone was always a megaphone for me, but the camera will always be a bazooka to me. Always.

So with Lucasarts nuking all existing EU into non-canon status, does that mean we'll be seeing exclusives just from the OT from now on or what?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So with Lucasarts nuking all existing EU into non-canon status, does that mean we'll be seeing exclusives just from the OT from now on or what?
I don't know my Star Wars very well... What's EU?

Top Bottom