• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

IronRinn

A bit late but, man, I'm not going to pick up that Fairground Mixer set, but regardless, it is pure genius. Love how everything fits on the trucks.

theaface

Just received this in the post. Is it worth buying something in store to get the Lego store set? http://imgur.com/4uyIKue
http://imgur.com/j8Qb0MT

Aw man, if it wasn't so far away (I live in North London), I'd be all over that. I see Bluewater is also having an event the week after but as luck wold have it, I'm away that week. I think I've already missed any birthday celebrations the Watford branch might have had.

Zerojul

I expect most, if not all SW sets from now until Episode VII debuts to be OT or Rebels.
I wouldn't mind. At all.

May the 4th haul, phase 1 :

FU9C8Jc.jpg

This box is huuuge. And my huuuge cat loves it apparently :)

Darth Revan polybag.

Aw man, if it wasn't so far away (I live in North London), I'd be all over that. I see Bluewater is also having an event the week after but as luck wold have it, I'm away that week. I think I've already missed any birthday celebrations the Watford branch might have had.

Yeah from North London to Leeds would he a fair old journey. Shame about you missing the Watford one. I'm guessing they'll have the offer there.

I'll change my shift at work and make sure I'm one of the first people there to pick up the free gift. I'll definitely pick up the Sopwith Camel and maybe the bad cop pursuit set to take my total over £100 to get the store.

I wonder if they'll also throw in the minifigure box as well. Has anyone received one of those before?

gsrjedi

Just watched the fairground video. That does look like an awesome set. Doubt I'll buy it though.

I miscounted & picked up 17 Simpsons figures. Have 2 extra Apu, 2 Ned, & a Nelson. I need a Homer, Milhouse, Mr. Burns, & Scratchy (the cat). If anybody wants to trade

My knock-off order arrived today; two weeks after ordering. The quality really is insane on these figs. $25 for 20 figs. Went with the GL Corps, Iron Man collection and DC Superhero packs.

happypup

The joints aren't the only issue, it's just way too big, I want it at least close to minifig scale, I'm going to have to sacrifice looks and possibility for size as I want it to fit in a small vignette of the rooftop scene at the end of the movie.

I think you can cut down the size without losing all that much posability. This is a robot I made a few years back.

1329440125m_SPLASH.jpg

1329440141m_SPLASH.jpg

and a broken down image

1329440164m_SPLASH.jpg

I made this with maximum posability in mind, but Lego makes it very possible to miniaturize joints.

Rootbeer

Banned
The Fantastic Four and Winter Soldier packs are the best deals, they have the greatest number of characters not yet put out by LEGO. Oh, and the Green Lantern one which has been covered already, both by me and Eskimo

heck even that Hulk pack is tempting me and I already have two legit hulks (one brown pants one purple)

The Deadpool bundle doesn't appeal to me because I already have all of those... with the exception of Cyclops, but we'll have an official release of him very shortly. But I totally understand why people would buy them rather than going after the real ones, even so.

The Fantastic Four and Winter Soldier packs are the best deals, they have the greatest number of characters not yet put out by LEGO. Oh, and the Green Lantern one which has been covered already, both by me and Eskimo

heck even that Hulk pack is tempting me and I already have two legit hulks (one brown pants one purple)

The Deadpool bundle doesn't appeal to me because I already have all of those... with the exception of Cyclops, but we'll have an official release of him very shortly. But I totally understand why people would buy them rather than going after the real ones, even so.

Yeah, I didn't notice Cyclops in the Winter Soldier pack so that first pack is moot-the rest are available legitimately.

I'm going to nab the Winter Soldier and Fantastic Four ones. May bite on the Hulk too-like you I have the legit ones.

Man, my toss up is between Red Five and Artoo for this weekend. I'll pick up the Sandcrawler later. But both of those former ones I'm kinda keen on. Hard decisions.

The figures don't look all that great from the pic either.

I think it was one of their first attempts at knock offs. They've come a very long way since then. But yes, they always looked a bit "off". That's why I always hesitated to pick up the Spiderman set. That white suit looks great though.

hmmm kinda conflicted on those figs. On the one hand they do look GREAT! On the other though it scares me they look so real and close to official ones. Kinda like how when you see pics you gotta wonder is that official or not? And i am not sure that's a good thing in the long run for Lego hmmm

Fowler

Just finished building Red Five X-Wing (sorry ColonelSkills, I haven't built R2 to compare it with).

I really, really enjoyed it. The build peaks with bag 2 or 3 (can't remember which), but that peak is incredible -- building the mechanism for the wings is really crazy cool. I'm not as experienced a builder as some of you guys are, so it was a little mind-blowing to see it come together. There were a few times where I was looking at it and thinking, you can do that?!?

Like all X-Wings, it suffers from getting worse as you go along simply because building the wings four times gets pretty old -- especially when they're as big and detailed as this one is.

But overall, I love it. I love the detail, I love the (rubber-band-less!) wing mechanism, and I love the size. I made a slight modification to the pilot seat to fit a minifig and put my Luke Skywalker minifig in there, and it's a perfect fit.

Really, really happy with it!

kapowza

blew my VW Camper/Orthanc points on a bunch of the Simpsons minifigs, when the lego store lassie saw I was buying a lot she confided that they had gotten good at feeling them out and opened up a cupboard behind the till with a load of seperated ones so I got to pick. Just need Chief Wiggam and I'll have all the ones I don't already have a stoned-eyes variation of from the house.

Then I taped the bags back up to give to my neice and nephew over the next however many weeks without taking a photo. Fail.

hmmm kinda conflicted on those figs. On the one hand they do look GREAT! On the other though it scares me they look so real and close to official ones. Kinda like how when you see pics you gotta wonder is that official or not? And i am not sure that's a good thing in the long run for Lego hmmm

Knockoffs are almost never good for a company especially if quality is key to the company's brand. It's bad for us as consumers because it's inevitable that they get mixed in to the real stuff if you buy stuff aftermarket. Also, it could raise the price of the real products or cause the company to cut corners and lower quality. Of course there are some benefits to consumers, price of bootlegs being the most obvious.

I prefer not to support bootlegs/knockoffs, but I'm no angel and do buy them on occasions. These latest generation of bootleg/knockoff minifigs are a step closer to LEGO quality that it's getting harder to tell the difference.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Saw the Simpsons CMFs in the wild here in the UK for the first time today. Felt out a Homer and Krusty, wanted to get a Burns but couldn't quite get it, after identifying (and rejecting) a Marge and Itchy I settled for grabbing at random and got a Ralph. Wouldn't have gone for him normally but that Valentine card is awesome. Might have another attempt soon, at £2.50 each though it's going to be costly, £40 to get them all! Might try again for a few others I want (Apu and Burns) and pass the others I get on to those who want them.

Kyari

Exactly why I was waiting to get it. The ship is great and the minfigs are really good too so I am happy to finally get it but yes, nasty price. At least this way it's a bit better.

Ditto for me, going to pick it up tomorrow at a lego store in gateshead. Its like they did the currency conversion the wrong way on it :(

Ponn

Banned
Oh man I need that 2nd wave of Mixels now. And that 3rd wave looks so awesome with the Magic Mixel tribe.

Found those knock off figs on Amazon. Have two of the sets in my cart, the set with Winter Soldier, Odin and Green Arrow and 3 other figs and the giant Green Lantern set with 8 figs. About 25 all together which is a good deal to have the figs I could use. I've been debating getting another Malibu Mansion set though so I can build a proper Iron Man lab basement/Mansion display.

Cruzito

Neo Member
Attended my first Lego convention this past weekend along with my wife and son at Philly Brick Fest. Was sooo much fun! Insanely packed on Saturday. But some fun custom minifigs to be had!

This is part of our haul from the eclipseGrafx booth:

LcnnjTp.jpg

VXp3Bf0.jpg

GR7Iujw.jpg

GlP9Oxm.jpg

mrkgoo

Not sure if you can see these pics (set to private, but I think the actual files is still visible, right?), but here are those knock-offs in the wild.

14059149795_aeb1802574_z.jpg

There really is no shame - they are even blatantly using the Friends and Chima brands without just "implying" them.

14055939951_4f64f55de0_z.jpg

(edit: actually, on closer inspection, the "S" branded models seem to be using "Ghima", :lol)

And for giggles, the Nanoblock stores in Taiwan and Japan:

14059594984_ed6e3a7270_z.jpg

14055949252_0f746d7c60_z.jpg

14055940981_658b631c15_z.jpg

14055949902_b5b62e7987_z.jpg

(please let me know if you can see the images)

Not sure if you can see these pics (set to private, but I think the actual files is still visible, right?), but here are those knock-offs in the wild.

14059149795_aeb1802574_z.jpg

There really is no shame - they are even blatantly using the Friends and Chima brands without just "implying" them.

(please let me know if you can see the images)

I see them.

Decool and Sheng Yuan are the two biggest bootleg brands I've seen. I'm sure there are more. I wonder if the LEGO factory that is being built in China will help curb counterfeits at all.

mrkgoo

I see them.

Decool and Sheng Yuan are the two biggest bootleg brands I've seen. I'm sure there are more. I wonder if the LEGO factory that is being built in China will help curb counterfeits at all.

Thanks.

Yeah that's them.

I've seen some other brands of similar bricks such as brick master and various. They aren't knocking off the actual properties and models though, just that kind of toy.

neonglow

Found a box of Simpsons minifigs but it was ransacked clean...well so much for that. May try again another time.

I've never managed to find them at Target or Walmart since LEGO is so popular here. I've managed to get a full set by visiting several local Walgreens. Not many people realize they have them so it's easier to find.

Ponn

Banned
Really looking at that knockoff Lantern corps set but the Sinestro fig is poor and I just got this feeling we are going to get a GL fig in a set next wave. Making me hesitate on a purchase but still thats alot figs cheap. Dont like the movie version design though.

I am going to pull the trigger on the Green Arrow, Winter Soldier and Odin set. Figs we wont see released and done pretty good. Wish Winter Soldier had his red star mark though. Would like Shazam but already have all the figs in the set hes sold with.

I've never managed to find them at Target or Walmart since LEGO is so popular here. I've managed to get a full set by visiting several local Walgreens. Not many people realize they have them so it's easier to find.

Well I'm gonna try some of them then, they are quite a few close to my apartment.

Top Bottom