• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Guys, whats the best way to clean bricks?

I ordered a bunch of white ones off brink link and their either dirty or not white any more haha.

Just like the other Gaffer said, it they are discolored, there's not much you can do about that. If they are dusty and/or have a layer of dirt, you can do this.

- bath tub or big bucket of lukewarm water with a hint of dish soap
- let soak for about 30 min-1 hour, giving the bricks a swirl every 10 minutes.
- take them out, shake them off, and lay them out to dry on a towel.

Note: Some stubborn dirt may need some wiping after soaking in the water. A quick swipe of your finger or soft bristle toothbrush for the nooks and crannies will do. It's definitely a lot of work, but it works. I cleaned a UCS Falcon I bought on craigslist that way.

Don't throw them in a mesh bag and into the clothes washer, they will scratch! Good luck!

I also picked up a bunch of Marty McFly heads and torsos at the Manchester store in the UK around Christmas time, so it does happen occasionally. At least over here it seems.

That's a great find as those are rare parts to have.

Made the mistake of picking up my first Mixel today. I got Shuff. Now I want a legion of them. God dammit.

Still not 100% sold on all of them but he was a really neat build.

They are great parts packs and with your discount it's a no-brainer to get them all. :) You get tons of new ball-joints, new eye parts, and other interesting parts (some in a color for the first time).

If they are yellowing (or turning off white), then you really can't do anything about it.

Just like the other Gaffer said, it they are discolored, there's not much you can do about that. If they are dusty and/or have a layer of dirt, you can do this.

- bath tub or big bucket of lukewarm water with a hint of dish soap
- let soak for about 30 min-1 hour, giving the bricks a swirl every 10 minutes.
- take them out, shake them off, and lay them out to dry on a towel.

Note: Some stubborn dirt may need some wiping after soaking in the water. A quick swipe of your finger or soft bristle toothbrush for the nooks and crannies will do. It's definitely a lot of work, but it works. I cleaned a UCS Falcon I bought on craigslist that way.

Don't throw them in a mesh bag and into the clothes washer, they will scratch! Good luck!

Check out these links. I haven't tried them yet, but there are things you can do about yellowing bricks. I think there was a small caveat of making the plastic a bit more brittle (maybe it was trans parts - different plastic) depending on mixture and length of soaking.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2009/...cks-to-make-classic-space-sets-look-new-news/

http://thebrickblogger.com/2012/04/make-your-clear-lego-shine/

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76744&#entry1451983

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

There is also a way to deal with scratches on trans pieces. Doesn't work with solid color bricks because those are ABS. Trans pieces use different plastic.

IronRinn

Bleeeeeh, prices on the SSD are already on the rise. Should have just grabbed it from Target when I had the chance. Still hoping that the "Temporarily out of stock" means LEGO will be getting some more in.

Ironmask

Didn't see this posted yet. Some nice freebies for us UK folk:

The Daily Mail is once again running another LEGO promotion in just a few short weeks. Starting on May 10th until May 17th you will be able to grab a LEGO polybag. The promotion works as follows, buy the newspaper and exchange voucher for one polybag. Bulk purchasing not allowed, WHSmiths will once again be stocking the polybags.

Here is the line up for the polybag promotion.

Sat 10th – 30302 Spider-Glider
Sun 11th – 30282 Super Secret Police Enforcer
Mon 12th – 30246 Imperial Shuttle
Tue 13th – 30189 Creator Transport Plane
Wed 14th – 30228 Police ATV
Thu 15th – 30247 Starfighter
Fri 16th – 30301 Batwing
Sat 17th – 30300 Tumbler

Link Here

Any fellow UK gaffers can help me track some polybag till they're cheap? i'm looking for the first two, specifically.
of course i'll pay any postage fee and something for the kindness

Aiii

So not worth it
So a week or so ago I decided I was finally gonna get another X-Wing model, since the old one I bought as a teenager broke down over a decade ago. As it turns out, X-Wing models are kinda hard to come by, good ones anyways.

So I went ahead and bought the Lego X-Wing (9493) and got it in the mail today:
10259942_818641888165447_3777240330542532225_n.jpg

10333800_818641958165440_4319909827844782259_o.jpg

1509284_818642011498768_14600219477233261_n.jpg

I even got out my old Lego from the basement and create an elevated stand for display purposes.

Kind of want to go all in and get a Tie-Fighter and the Millenium Falcon too now. Thank god the stuff is not cheap, I wouldn't be able to control myself.

Ugh, anyone ever buy a set that looked like it was unopened and still had the factory seals at both ends but upon opening it up it was clear someone had opened it to take the mini figures for free by returning it afterward? Well that just happened to me.

It looked mint on the outside and the seals untouched but when I opened it, the bags seemed kinda not positioned right and folded over. I pulled out one bag and it was leaking pieces. I thought the bag was just popped, but it had been torn into to get inside to the figures. A smaller bag of pieces in that bag was also leaking pieces which probably had the figures.

I've never experienced this before. What a pain and shitty of someone to do.

Topper

I've been saving up slowly for about a year planning on getting a Super Star Destroyer, randomly checked prices on them today as I will be finally able to get it next week and it seems to have gone up, I guess it got discontinued? With my amazon discount it was looking about 360$, but now $500+ I'm not sure I can do just on principle(and my wife would probably kill me) and I get no discount from 3rd party sellers on amazon which is all thats left. Extremely bummed now.

edit:

Kind of want to go all in and get a Tie-Fighter and the Millenium Falcon too now. Thank god the stuff is not cheap, I wouldn't be able to control myself.

I just got the Tie Fighter 9492 not too long ago and was impressed, it looks great IMO

So a week or so ago I decided I was finally gonna get another X-Wing model, since the old one I bought as a teenager broke down over a decade ago. As it turns out, X-Wing models are kinda hard to come by, good ones anyways.

So I went ahead and bought the Lego X-Wing (9493) and got it in the mail today:

I even got out my old Lego from the basement and create an elevated stand for display purposes.

It's like your dipping your feet in the pool to see how cold the water is. You want to take it slow, but then someone shoves you in against your will. Welcome to the club.

Save up for the UCS Millenium Falcon that we all are hoping will come again.

mojiimbo

Bleeeeeh, prices on the SSD are already on the rise. Should have just grabbed it from Target when I had the chance. Still hoping that the "Temporarily out of stock" means LEGO will be getting some more in.
I've been saving up slowly for about a year planning on getting a Super Star Destroyer, randomly checked prices on them today as I will be finally able to get it next week and it seems to have gone up, I guess it got discontinued? With my amazon discount it was looking about 360$, but now $500+ I'm not sure I can do just on principle(and my wife would probably kill me) and I get no discount from 3rd party sellers on amazon which is all thats left. Extremely bummed now.
If you have a Lego store you can try calling and asking if they still have it in stock. Some stores will even ship from their in-store inventory out to your address but you'll have to pay shipping, which may be cost prohibitive on a box that big.

The website says it's only "temporarily" out of stock so I imagine there's a good chance a small amount will pop back up in a few weeks.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Super-Star-Destroyer-10221

I don't know if that's always true, that what they have the Mar Rover listed for a long time as out of stock and now it's just sold out. They might get some stock back in but if you really want one, have you try Wal-mart? They do shop to store also which save on shipping cost. Are they out at Target?

edit: I just check, look like they are out at both Target and Wal-mart.

Ugh, anyone ever buy a set that looked like it was unopened and still had the factory seals at both ends but upon opening it up it was clear someone had opened it to take the mini figures for free by returning it afterward? Well that just happened to me.

It looked mint on the outside and the seals untouched but when I opened it, the bags seemed kinda not positioned right and folded over. I pulled out one bag and it was leaking pieces. I thought the bag was just popped, but it had been torn into to get inside to the figures. A smaller bag of pieces in that bag was also leaking pieces which probably had the figures.

Yes, it happen to few people here, which make me kind of wary about all my unopened LEGO set. Someone probably gently remove the tape and then seal it back with heat you can melt off the glue on those tapes. LEGO might want to start shrink wrapping them.

IronRinn

If you have a Lego store you can try calling and asking if they still have it in stock. Some stores will even ship from their in-store inventory out to your address but you'll have to pay shipping, which may be cost prohibitive on a box that big.

The website says it's only "temporarily" out of stock so I imagine there's a good chance a small amount will pop back up in a few weeks.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Super-Star-Destroyer-10221

Yeah, I'm out in the sticks, so no stores near me unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for my bank account?)

I don't know if that's always true, that what they have the Mar Rover listed for a long time as out of stock and now it's just sold out. They might get some stock back in but if you really want one, have you try Wal-mart? They do shop to store also which save on shipping cost. Are they out at Target?

edit: I just check, look like they are out at both Target and Wal-mart.

Yeah, Target had them as late as this past weekend, but with no sets up on LEGO, I guess everyone had the same idea. The only retailer that still has them is TRU and they are waaaaaaay expensive. Seems overpriced even for them.

So I'm building the fabled wing on the Sith Interceptor and I just put a part together that turned out to be a piston and my entire world flipped up-side-down. Lego engineers are fucking incredible.

Kyari

Alas no it doesn't, not at all :)

Hope the minifig is cool. I wonder what it could be. Shouldn't be EU stuff, what with it being non-canon now and all, but then again we just got Revan...
Edit : and the Sith Warrior on the cover is from The Old Republic...

I bet its just something simple like Darth Vader ... with a medal.

mernst23

Anyone looking to trade doubles simpsons minifigs?, I have two marges up for grabs and only have itchy, scratchy, nelson, and flanders i'm not looking for.

Alas no it doesn't, not at all :)

Hope the minifig is cool. I wonder what it could be. Shouldn't be EU stuff, what with it being non-canon now and all, but then again we just got Revan...
Edit : and the Sith Warrior on the cover is from The Old Republic...

Please be Darth Malak... Please be Darth Malak... Please be Darth Malak...

...But there's a hood cutout... Thrawn doesn't wear a cloak like that. :p

Still, I think it'd be funny if it was a Darth Vader based around the Jeffrey Brown books.

That shape is what they have for almost all figures in the end before packing the book.

But let's just hope it's Thrawn with an ysalamiri on his back or something.

Draxal

I really want to get GOTG's Milano Spaceship; and see how it compares to the Quinjet (I actually think this is my favorite jet/plane now, no rubber bands seals it over x wing, and its the swoosh king).

Ryuuroden

Yeah, this has happened to me, I have posted about it. not only did they reseal the outside making it look like the box had never been opened but they also resealed all the bags on the inside with some sort of heater making them look sealed too. I had opened the box when I first purchased it to make sure the bags were un-opened but it wasn't until I went to build the set a year later that I realized stuff was missing and that's when I looked really close and discovered someone had melted the seals back together on the bags after removing parts and figures. It was a licensed set too which means LEGO actually isn't allowed by contract to replace those figures normally. They did it for me anyways which was really cool of them, especially since I didn't have a receipt anymore. They used the number on the instructions to verify my set. I was almost shit out of luck though cause the website actually listed half of them as no longer in stock for replacement but I was able to get them all. It was also a long OOP set.

I've been bringing these up to customer service so they pull them off the floor. The walmarts by me are notorious. You can usually tell by the weight of the box.

I wonder if tlg would ever start shrink wrapping boxes.

I've been saving up slowly for about a year planning on getting a Super Star Destroyer, randomly checked prices on them today as I will be finally able to get it next week and it seems to have gone up, I guess it got discontinued? With my amazon discount it was looking about 360$, but now $500+ I'm not sure I can do just on principle(and my wife would probably kill me) and I get no discount from 3rd party sellers on amazon which is all thats left.

I lucked out and got one for $324 from amazon. No outer box, but I plan to build it someday.

Anyone looking to trade doubles simpsons minifigs?, I have two marges up for grabs and only have itchy, scratchy, nelson, and flanders i'm not looking for.
I have tons of extras if anyone needs any. I'd go 1:1 on any previous cmf series figs (preferably still sealed). All of mine are sealed and sorted by character. Pm me if interested.

Snaku

Banned
Just won a 7130 on ebay new for $46. The Snowspeeder is by far my favorite OT vehicle, and I need one on my shelf dammit. Seeing how the UCS Snowspeeder goes for an absurd amount of money these days (please re-release it Lego), I had to decide between the smaller sets, and settled on the original 1999 release. Sure it's not as screen accurate in shape or color as the newer models, but something about its retro look struck a cord with me. And the separate dual cockpits each with their own canopy won me over. Watched some videos of the newer sets which have a single canopy that breaks off when opened all the way. I knew that would annoy me more than anything.

UjKnv0H.jpg

Can't wait until it gets here.

frogg609

Just won a 7130 on ebay new for $46. The Snowspeeder is by far my favorite OT vehicle, and I need one on my shelf dammit. Seeing how the UCS Snowspeeder goes for an absurd amount of money these days (please re-release it Lego), I had to decide between the smaller sets, and settled on the original 1999 release. Sure it's not as screen accurate in shape or color as the newer models, but something about its retro look struck a cord with me. And the separate dual cockpits each with their own canopy won me over. Watched some videos of the newer sets which have a single canopy that breaks off when opened all the way. I knew that would annoy me more than anything.

UjKnv0H.jpg

Can't wait until it gets here.

That is awesome. I don't have a single Speeder in my collection... yet.

However, I did manage to get this in the mail.

jtEJoE2l.jpg

I'm so glad I wasn't getting to hold onto in the box as the seller didn't do anything but put the boxed item a bigger box then put it in a plastic bag, no packing material at all. While the inner box wasn't destroyed like the outer one, it sure doesn't look nice.

Still, I love having this on my bedside table. SPACESHIP!

Yes, it happen to few people here, which make me kind of wary about all my unopened LEGO set. Someone probably gently remove the tape and then seal it back with heat you can melt off the glue on those tapes. LEGO might want to start shrink wrapping them.

Yeah, this has happened to me, I have posted about it. not only did they reseal the outside making it look like the box had never been opened but they also resealed all the bags on the inside with some sort of heater making them look sealed too. I had opened the box when I first purchased it to make sure the bags were un-opened but it wasn't until I went to build the set a year later that I realized stuff was missing and that's when I looked really close and discovered someone had melted the seals back together on the bags after removing parts and figures. It was a licensed set too which means LEGO actually isn't allowed by contract to replace those figures normally. They did it for me anyways which was really cool of them, especially since I didn't have a receipt anymore. They used the number on the instructions to verify my set. I was almost shit out of luck though cause the website actually listed half of them as no longer in stock for replacement but I was able to get them all. It was also a long OOP set.

Man it's scary to think that I could have a set or sets that are missing figures and I not realize it. I've got a decent backlog and fear finding out stuff is missing now. It just happens that this set I bought a couple days ago so it's easily returnable. I just didn't think people went through all the trouble.

Curious, did this happen on big sets or small sets for you guys? This was a smaller $20 set. My backlog is mostly big sets so it'll be maybe more comforting to know that they target smaller sets.

Zerojul

I bet its just something simple like Darth Vader ... with a medal.
Already been done... Maul with a medal ? :)
It is Bessa returning to a Marvel aircraft of some sort. I am there no matter what. I want to see him deliver another Quinjet.
This. The GotG sets are still planned for next month ? I asked someone at my Lego Store last week (she was the assistant manager, mind you) but couldn't get any answer, strangely.

Finished the Sith Interceptor. What a magnificent build and finished ship. WOW. Really glad I bought it.

This. The GotG sets are still planned for next month ? I asked someone at my Lego Store last week (she was the assistant manager, mind you) but couldn't get any answer, strangely.
Until Lego officially announces the release dates themselves we're not supposed to say anything. Even though the new Minecraft and Agents sets are on next month's events calendar, since there's no announced date yet we can't say anything other than "check back next month" when people ask.

Top Bottom