• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Gonna wait on the Spaceship until next month...somehow.

I kinda want to buy a few more Velectro mixels because of the hairpiece, I love that piece.

I've made the hard choice not to get Spaceship x3. I'll be focusing on getting the Star Destroyer and AT-AT instead. Star Wars OT always wins out for me. Now the long wait until they are released in Australia.

Caladrius

I'm missing specialty stuff but I do have alot of weird side Bionicle products that were limited markets + time. I have some strange stuff but dont remember them all exactly.

I'd love to see/hear about them whenever you get the chance. I'm mostly interested in sets and parts, but seeing the miscellaneous stuff would be neat too.

I've basically had no exposure to the merchandise (aside from those foam swords they used to sell at the LEGO store.)

No SPACESHIP! in Hartford, CT today. Will try at TRU near home on Sunday. I wont mind using the credit card and paying a lil extra to get this set early.

SPACESHIP!

Myansie

I've made the hard choice not to get Spaceship x3. I'll be focusing on getting the Star Destroyer and AT-AT instead. Star Wars OT always wins out for me. Now the long wait until they are released in Australia.

I'm really keen on getting the star destroyer for my coffee table. Do we have any idea of price in Aus$?

I'd love to see/hear about them whenever you get the chance. I'm mostly interested in sets and parts, but seeing the miscellaneous stuff would be neat too.

I've basically had no exposure to the merchandise (aside from those foam swords they used to sell at the LEGO store.)

I know I have some mcdonalds matoran sets still polybagged as well as an odd mask here n there.

All this talk of Benny's spaceship makes me want to do a Retro Classic Space MOC

DO IT!

I really want to make one, but am trying not to MOC until life stabilizes again. I still have so many sets to take down. I was on a roll and then stopped due to exhaustion. Been wanting a retro space MOC (thought of either Blacktron or Space Police Gen 1 themed) for a long time. But as time is rolling on, my next MOC will probably be my Halloween display for this year. And I have been sketching out ideas here and there for a new diorama. I need to top my graveyard from last year.

wetwired

DO IT!

I really want to make one, but am trying not to MOC until life stabilizes again. I still have so many sets to take down. I was on a roll and then stopped due to exhaustion. Been wanting a retro space MOC (thought of either Blacktron or Space Police Gen 1 themed) for a long time. But as time is rolling on, my next MOC will probably be my Halloween display for this year. And I have been sketching out ideas here and there for a new diorama. I need to top my graveyard from last year.

Yeah I keep trying to squeeze in new MOCs but finding it hard to find time. I just looked up the price of some of the classic space printed parts, slopes etc...guess I'll be using stickers :|

Yeah I keep trying to squeeze in new MOCs but finding it hard to find time. I just looked up the price of some of the classic space printed parts, slopes etc...guess I'll be using stickers :|

Still have quite a few slope pieces with the classic space logo myself. And a few Blacktron and Space Police ones. It is just making a worthy ship to use them. I havent tried a ship or base MOC yet. I really need to at some point.

Look like we have a problem ...
hFZZOxFl.jpg

Logic would dictate that I goofed up somewhere and used single and three stud brick instead of the four studs but I went back and even took a section apart and can't seem to find where the mistake could be.

At least the parts are on removable section and can be replaced later.

iuuk

Look like we have a problem ...
hFZZOxFl.jpg

Logic would dictate that I goofed up somewhere and used single and three stud brick instead of the four studs but I went back and even took a section apart and can't seem to find where the mistake could be.

At least the parts are on removable section and can be replaced later.
I had the same thing in one of my architecture sets once. I needed a shorter brick than the one I had left, but in my case it was nearly impossible to have used the wrong size. LEGO quality control has been lacking more than it used to for me. Those architecture sets weren't always 100% complete.

And speaking of those; I just ordered this:

The first promotional architecture set officially for sale (if only just in Billund...). A Dutch LEGO store/reseller/online shop apparently has some in stock.

Yeah if I wind up with that set the stickers will go on a lot of other things besides the set. Kinda surprised we haven't seen an iPhone case with that logo replacing the Apple on the back but that's where I'd put one (depending on size).

Off into town to pick up my super secret enforcer (and throw the daily mail in the bin). The Lego store is 2 minutes away from wh smiths so I'll swing by to see if they have NY of the new sets. I need to get £100 with of stuff next Friday to qualify for the Lego Store set

Man i really love the Simpsons figures... after finally completing the set, i had some fun with them, you can do some amazing things with those heads, and they just look instantly ridiculous on other torsos ;)

ePbrZ2H.jpg

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Off into town to pick up my super secret enforcer (and throw the daily mail in the bin). The Lego store is 2 minutes away from wh smiths so I'll swing by to see if they have NY of the new sets. I need to get £100 with of stuff next Friday to qualify for the Lego Store set

Watford? Keep us posted!

Man i really love the Simpsons figures... after finally completing the set, i had some fun with them, you can do some amazing things with those heads, and they just look instantly ridiculous on other torsos ;)

ePbrZ2H.jpg

Hey, it's Lando on the bottom right!

Oh, and a totally random fan-canon idea that popped into my head while glancing at my space bug: what if the monsters in GS are actually M-Tron guys who got mutated from whatever magnetic super ore they were collecting?

Zerojul

ePbrZ2H.jpg
Super-Milhouse looks kinda like Biclops. And dat Apu Solo... Love them all :)

wetwired

I picked up my first Decool minifigs the other day from a local market

I got

Iron Man (with silver face and grey arms, the one from Iron Man 2 I assume?)
Black Suit Superman

And for my kids

Arctic Batman
Catwoman

The quality is overall pretty good, it's not LEGO quality by any stretch but the quality of pieces is decent enough and the printing is pretty solid, it'll be easier to do pros and cons

Pros
- Good quality plastic overall
- Most parts are indistinguishable from real LEGO apart from the lack of LEGO logos.
- Cheap way of getting rare minifigs
- For my kids who a prone to losing or wrecking capes etc it allows me to give them some hard to get minifigs at a low cost without worrying about them ruining them (as my son has previously done with some minifigs (chewed batman cowls, ruined capes)
- Print quality itself is good, silver prints on superman look great.

Cons
- some excess plastic/mould leftovers, is removed easily enough though and is probably the main signifier that this is not real LEGO
- Inconsistent designs, my black suit superman for example has different shaped legs than the other minifigs, the iron man for example has the same leg design as LEGO.
- Face designs are all kinds of wrong, I've yet to put my finger on what exactly is wrong but I believe the faces are printed too large on the head compared to a LEGO print. It's especially obvious on the black suit superman who is the only uncovered faced minifig I got.
- Superman's hair mould is whack, it's close to the real thing but not quote, the sides of the hair look all weird and combined with the larger face print making him look mongoloid.
- Cape material isn't as stuff as LEGOs, it's not a huge deal breaker though.
- Arctic Batman's cape has some weird discolouring around the edges, almost looks burnt as if the cape was laser cut or something.
- Have to assemble EVERYTHING yourself, arms, hands, torso, each leg and waist all come separately, not a huge issue though as it's easy to put together.

Overall they're not bad, I will definitely pick up some more of the Iron Man variants and hopefully the Green Lantern if I can find it singularly. I'd also like to check out the other SDCC knockoffs like Bizarro Superman etc. I'd recommend them to people wanting to pick those minifigs up for cheap or people who have young kids and don't want to let them ruin a minifig that could be worth some money down the line. Give them a knockoff until they're old enough to treat them carefully.

I've already replaced Mongoloid Superman's Head and Face with a legit superman head and hair and it looks a lot better, I'm tempted to do the same with the cape. I may end up doing the same with any other decool minifigs I get, replace everything I can with legit parts and just use the decool parts I can't get cheaply legitimately.

I've just got back from Leeds. Wh smiths had completely sold out of daily mails! Luckily I spoke to the guy at the till and he told me that they still had a box full of polybags. I just needed to go and buy the paper from somewhere else. All I had to do was go back and hey can scan the voucher inside and give me one of the polybags. The guy at the till did say people were queuing up with the paper before the store even opened.

Onto the Lego store and it was rammed with people and (more importanly) new sets! They seem to have pretty much everything apart from the three new Lego movie sets. So all the new star wars ser that I'm aware of. All series 2 of the mixels. Loads of the Arctic city sets. I've got to say I'm not a fan of the pre made ship and vehicle sets in that series. Love the colours and the figures though.

o2NPCcY.jpg

JYLSMvu.jpg

slgR9IJ.jpg

RvHhxmT.jpg

LbV54W6.jpg

uifFmZv.jpg

pp6Awdt.jpg

nA7C1ts.jpg

8pmE4PX.jpg

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
In Morgantown today and found the Simpson minifigs. Felt 16 bags and pretty sure I got 1 of each. Ralph is my only question. Hopefully no duplicates. I'll find out tonight when I get home.

I got all 16 on the first try. Woot!

A little happiness: I needed a piece of dark red Lego cloth to make a waistcloth for a custom. I had a cape, but it's not wide enough to go all the way around. I looked around and found a bigfig cape that's rather rare, but if I want it to look good I'd rather not be cheap. Then I looked around for more cloth items while I'm at it, and found that there's a dark red awning in a Prince of Persia set. That I own, and that I've split up for other sets. And it fits even better!

Zerojul

It's not often we pay cheaper prices, to be fair. The packaging is really thin on those star wars sets. For £70 I'd expect a big chunky box.
Well what I found strange is that the other sets of the wave are at an almost equal pricing (At-At, Snowspeeder, ISD...) but Rebels are not for some reason. I was quite surprised too with the size of the boxes but it seems that's a trend for this wave. I'm currently building the At-At and it's a small box for a 1100+ pieces set. Same size as the QuinJet or the Jedi Defender boxes. I was in need of storage space anyway so that's cool :)

Well what I found strange is that the other sets of the wave are at an almost equal pricing (At-At, Snowspeeder, ISD...) but Rebels are not for some reason. I was quite surprised too with the size of the boxes but it seems that's a trend for this wave. I'm currently building the At-At and it's a small box for a 1100+ pieces set. Same size as the QuinJet or the Jedi Defender boxes. I was in need of storage space anyway so that's cool :)

I can definitely agree with the space thing. My girlfriend can't get into her wardrobe at the moment.

Oh man, lemme know how that AT-AT build goes. I'm super pumped for it.

chidrock

Anybody else annoyed that all the new Star Wars sets are hitting the stores a week after May 4th and the Darth Revan promo?

I've been waiting for the new AT-AT and thinking about the Cantina set...

Anybody else annoyed that all the new Star Wars sets are hitting the stores a week after May 4th and the Darth Revan promo?

sure am, it would have been easy to get Revan, i'd just have gotten the Cantina and call it a day :(

alas, now i am a proud owner of the Death Star instead so i suppose i'll live ;)

Ironmask

I picked up my first Decool minifigs the other day from a local market

I got

Iron Man (with silver face and grey arms, the one from Iron Man 2 I assume?)
Black Suit Superman

And for my kids

Arctic Batman
Catwoman

Nice review!
Apart from ironman the others you have i think are not produced by Decool but Sheng Yuan. SY has lower quality than Decool and the earlier products have that strange legs you mentioned. You can check the black base, if it has a big S it is Shengyuan

Zerojul

I had (and still have) a lot of sets to catch up on so I didn't mind, but I can easily see how it would have been easier for a lot of us to find something worthwile to get if the summer wave had hit the shelves for the promotion, indeed. Then again, maybe it wouldn't make a lot of sense from a strictly commercial point of view I guess.

Oh man, lemme know how that AT-AT build goes. I'm super pumped for it.

Just finished the first booklet of instructions (out of two) :

I don't have any point of comparison with the older versions of what is one of my favorite SW vehicles ever, so what I think about it is probably biased and not based on the "technical" aspects of the build but... Let's just say that when I put my hands on a set like this, or the QuinJet, or Haunted House for exemple, I wonder why I had quit Lego for over 20 years. I'm hooked like when I was 10 and that's a wonderful feeling.

Nice review!
Apart from ironman the others you have i think are not produced by Decool but Sheng Yuan. SY has lower quality than Decool and the earlier products have that strange legs you mentioned. You can check the black base, if it has a big S it is Shengyuan

I've noticed that those are the two main bootleggers. Decool does seem to have higher quality that Shengyuan.

I think the leg thing for newer sets are now the correct LEGO moulding/shape. I have seen reviews complaining about the legs, but I see many photos with correct legs now. Pay attention when purchasing them online.

Shengyuan has some Iron Man variations that Decool doesn't have.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...ble-With-Lego-Particles-SY179/1752451462.html

I have these Decool variations and the quality is good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ITI3ZBG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

LEGO is probably missing sales opportunities by not having more Iron Man variations. They probably can have a hall of armor set with 5-6 Iron Man armor variations and it would sell a lot.

Went to TRU near home to see if SPACESHIP! was out early. No luck there, but this was out in the wild:

Holding off on it until I actually have money, and there are many other sets higher on priority list. But it was cool seeing it out there finally.

Kyari

Aw man I was disappointed to not see that set when I checked my local lego store, I wanted to pick it up and work it into the modular stuff, since it looks like it would at least fit on exterior shots alone.

Dragoshi1

While at my local arcade place, I happened to get my hands on a full set of bootleg Bionicle Rahkshi, will post pics later.

They are referred to as "Robot Invincibility SUPER POWER" by a company called BELA.

Top Bottom