• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Bamboo Brick Blog, which is new to me, has video reviews of all the Ultra Agents sets.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAYYrJ-qO12rw2rwFaCkRkw

(The presenter needs to change up his lighting a bit, but he is quite thorough in his reviews. He does not apply stickers though.)

I'll check those Ultra Agent reviews out later. This video of his caught my attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNTvpg18qf0

I always like to see a person's collection and how he/she stores and displays the LEGO. I am so envious of his dedicated LEGO room.
I'll just have to wait about 15+ years for at least one of my kids to move out of the house.

Got a question for y'all.

I'm thinking about getting my dad the Hobbit "Unexpected Gathering" set. I'm not sure if he'll have me build it or just keep it in the box, but do you anticipate that'll be a set that will appreciate in value a lot? There's one left at my store and I have it on hold for myself as a Father's Day gift, but my dad has limited shelf space so he'd probably just store it, and he asked if I thought it'd go up in value over the next couple years. Honestly I haven't been back in the game long enough to have any kind of sense for what will become sought after and what will remain around MSRP.

He loves the Hobbit and LOTR though so I'm tempted to just buy it for him either way.

neonglow

I'm thinking about getting my dad the Hobbit "Unexpected Gathering" set. I'm not sure if he'll have me build it or just keep it in the box, but do you anticipate that'll be a set that will appreciate in value a lot? There's one left at my store and I have it on hold for myself as a Father's Day gift, but my dad has limited shelf space so he'd probably just store it, and he asked if I thought it'd go up in value over the next couple years. Honestly I haven't been back in the game long enough to have any kind of sense for what will become sought after and what will remain around MSRP.

He loves the Hobbit and LOTR though so I'm tempted to just buy it for him either way.

It's one of the best LOTR/Hobbit sets. If any of them have a chance, it'll probably be this one.

Ryuuroden

Just finished building that Limited Edition 4x4 Crawler. First Technic set I have built in at least 20 years. It was a surprisingly interesting build half due to the fact that I have not really worked with that many power functions before in one set plus it being a totally different type of construction method. I do think it has convinced me to get more technic sets and I will be at least getting that airplane/hovercraft combo when that comes out (mainly for the hovercraft build). The finished product ended up being about 2x larger than I thought it would be sooo I will have to change around how I want to display it. I only put a couple of the stickers on when I first started building it and then I left the rest off. It looks great without all the stickers, really it looks better imo. I have yet to actually drive it around as I was short 3 batteries so that will have to wait till next weekend. Also for the number of pieces it has, it took me maybe 2 1/2 times longer than normal to construct than a regular LEGO set. This is perhaps due to not being used to the technic construction method. It definitely has given me a lot of ideas for integrating power functions into my modular city. I would like to make an automated street trolley system and power traffic lights etc and building this set helped me see the possibilities.

It's all speculation. IMO it will, but I really don't think it will skyrocket (for me that means more than double in price) any time in the next few years.

LotR/Hobbit is a classic.
It's a very nice display piece. Especially if you want a setting for all the LotR/Hobbit minifigs.
It is iconic in BOTH LoTR and the Hobbit.
It has 4 minifigs that only come in that set.
It has a few unique and hard to find parts so it's something that won't be easy to piece out.

Click on Minifigs and Parts tabs to see uniqueness: http://brickset.com/sets/79003-1

Ponn

Banned

The oop LoTR sets have been climbing in value. That's besides the point though, Unexpected Gathering is the best Hobbit set and looks so awesome and whimsical from both sides making it a must buy. Be sure to pick up a Gandalf Arrives set to go with it. Also sounds like a good opportunity to have a dad/son moment and build it together.

Alright i was lukewarm on Agents as well BUT after seeing that lightcycle set video i now decided i SHALL OWN THIS and couple it with this badass here that i just received in the mail and just like that, i'll have my Tron set!!!!

cxNBkId.jpg

cassidyarch

Neo Member
Wow. Was on the fence about Ultra Agents. Not anymore.

Those villains are amazing! I'm laughing at the Bamboo Bricks guy's awe over Infearno. Laughing, but feeling it, too. Great stuff. Fingers crossed for a 2.0 series with an Infearno base with some Infearno henchmen (like that badass volcano from the last Agents line.)

I do wish the Agents vehicles were some color other than black. Dark blue (like the last Agents line) would make this series PERFECT.

Here is a question for the Lego gurus....

I am trying to build a Star Wars minifig collection. Is there a cheap set (under 50 bucks)... that gives you a lot of figures?

Thanks for any help!

I am trying to build a Star Wars minifig collection. Is there a cheap set (under 50 bucks)... that gives you a lot of figures?

Thanks for any help!

yeah... there's the Death Star!

wait...

i dont really know, lots of SW figures typically amounts to an expensive set within this theme! some of the battlepacks maybe? the Royal guard one is one i had my eye on for a while now

hmmblah

I have that... looking for something under 50 bucks. Just trying to build a good minifig collection. I am wondering if it is cheaper to just buy figs from brick link. I was thinking the extra set pieces would be nice to have!

Depends what figs you are looking for. There are those small sets that come with 4 figures each for around $12.

Thanks for any help!

I love the A-Wing set solely for Admiral Ackbar (and his coffee mug), Han Solo & a Rebel pilot. The set is about $25.

Zerojul

Finished the new AT-AT so I thought I'd share my impressions.
Downs are that there is next to no interior, and not much to play with.
On the plus side, the minifigs are nice, the thing is huge, sturdy and poseable, and seems very movie-accurate to me.
All in all I just LOVE the completed model, it's an awesome display piece and I really enjoy watching and posing it. I have a feeling I'll keep it on display for a very long time :)

I took a few pics of my shelf for those who might be interested :

Finished the new AT-AT so I thought I'd share my impressions.
Downs are that there is next to no interior, and not much to play with.
On the plus side, the minifigs are nice, the thing is huge, sturdy and poseable, and seems very movie-accurate to me.
All in all I just LOVE the completed model, it's an awesome display piece and I really enjoy watching and posing it. I have a feeling I'll keep it on display for a very long time :)

I took a few pics of my shelf for those who might be interested :
Hnnnng
Need. Now.

chidrock

Thanks for any help!

I don't mean to that guy bc I saw you said $50 or less, but a great value would be to save up and get the Millennium Falcon for a little over $100. It comes with most of the major players and the ship is a decent build & looks great when finished. Plus there is a lot of space inside to mess around with the figures.

For less than $50, you might be able to find Luke's Landspeeder, which used to be $25 or so. That came with a decent number of figures for the price.

Another cool set for under $50 would be the Desert Skiff, which has a good assortment of figures, including Boba Fett.

My local (small-ish) Sainsburys has the Simpson CMF's in now. I could not for the life of me recall which I still need so only got two but was right in getting Grandpa and Scratchy.

Also got the Daily Mail polybags so far.

nny

So I was putting together the R2-D2 and came across this:

(the leftmost of the 2x1 plate with 1 stud on top doesn't have the groove on the bottom to help remove it)

The bottoms are also different:

Is this common? It's the first time I noticed it. Is the groove-less piece an older version of the piece? I guess I'll have a slightly asymmetric R2-D2.

(the leftmost of the 2x1 plate with 1 stud on top doesn't have the groove on the bottom to help remove it)

Is this common? It's the first time I noticed it. Is the groove-less piece an older version of the piece? I guess I'll have a slightly asymmetric R2-D2.

TBH I only see the ones without the groove in sets I've had them for. But I'm sure one of the Lego masters will chime in with clearer info.

mojiimbo

Thanks for any help!
I might be wrong but it seems like they're only really generous with "hero" characters in the bigger sets.

I was looking through older sets and was surprised that the previous X-Wing was only $49 and it got you Luke, Wedge, Leia, Han, Chewie and R2.

cqpFEkX.jpg

The Star Wars battle packs are pretty good deals considering Lego's "generic" minifig 4 packs for Castle/Chima/City policemen/City fIremen are $2 more expensive and don't come with an extra build like the cannons or vehicles in battle packs.

Just finished the bat vs the Tumbler and it was no where approaching a good build but I've got to say I'm fairly fond of the final build itself. My bane with his custom fur coat looks super swank. Overall I'm glad I picked it up and it was only £23 at the time.

r9W2jTo.jpg

Just finished the bat vs the Tumbler and it was no where approaching a good build but I've got to say I'm fairly fond of the final builds. My bane with his custom fur coat looks super swank.

r9W2jTo.jpg

RIGHT? The build on the Tumbler was fuckin awful, possibly the worst Lego build I can remember. At least the Bat didn't constantly fall apart as you built it. They do look really good when done, though.

iuuk

I might be wrong but it seems like they're only really generous with "hero" characters in the bigger sets.
You're right, which is why the other guy who recommended the A-wing had a point. You get an Admiral Ackbar, cool B-wing pilot and a Han Solo for a budget price. The A-wing itself isn't all that bad either.
For non hero characters battle packs are the way to go. For hero characters the best way is to find a deal on the spaceships (or Death Star).

Different molds as far as I know, it's very common and really annoying if you're going for exact symmetry. Tower Bridge and a lot of architecture sets are quite a pain to sort out because of this.

RIGHT? The build on the Tumbler was fuckin awful, possibly the worst Lego build I can remember. At least the Bat didn't constantly fall apart as you built it. They do look really good when done, though.

It was quick and painless though. It really need more peices to flesh it out a bit.

I've been thinking I might buy a bunch of clear blocks to display the bat and the bad cop pursuit car on. It seems wrong for them to be sat on the side. Does anyone do anything similar?

It was quick and painless though. It really need more peices to flesh it out a bit.

I've been thinking I might buy a bunch of clear blocks to display the bat and the bad cop pursuit car on. It seems wrong for them to be sat on the side. Does anyone do anything similar?

I do! I bought a bunch of different clear brick sizes and shapes at my store's PAB specifically for this purpose.

I do! I bought a bunch of different clear brick sizes and shapes at my store's PAB specifically for this purpose.

Oh cool. Well I'm going to the Leeds store 1year anniversary and I get a mini fig bog that I can take back in fill with bricks for free perfect timing.

I've also picked up all the daily mail poly bags. Saturday and Sunday's are great little builds and excellent display sets. I'm not into star wars so I don't know what I'll do with todays. I can't wait for the batman ones.

neonglow

LEGO cancelled my Malevolence that was on backorder. It must have gone out quickly since I put in my order in the 3rd minute of the sale.

Rootbeer

Banned
TRU had agents, bike shop, TMNT juniors. No City Arctic. Picked up the interceptor. They didn't have the cheapest set or I'd have grabbed that as well. The rest are on my list but I'll be spreading them out.

Also a 25% off sale on all galaxy squad if anyone has interest in that.

Unrelated but I also picked up NECA Godzilla and NECA Ceasar from the Apes films, both new!

Ponn

Banned
I was checking Amazon WHD prices and their recommendation page must be glitching or half loading because it gave me the option to preorder the Lego Xmen Blackbird set, GoTG Knowhere escape and GoTG Starblaster. Knowhere escape had a slight discount at 37.77 the others was MSRP, which lately for Amazon isn't bad. Unfortunately no Milano :( I skipped the Blackbird for now but it gave me the sudden realization I forgot about the GoTG sets and now im in deep doo doo in regards to my June spending. I HAVE to have the GoTG sets and the Ghostbuster set so everything else will have to take a backseat I guess.

You can't search for the sets just to warn you and if they do pop up under recommendations you can't click on them you get an error page saying the page doesn't exist. You can only hit the preorder button and checkout. Release date on all of them of June 1st.

Hmmmm... 25% off Galaxy Squad would be the best way to get the Vermin Vaporizor since we don't sell it anymore. Fuckin ridiculous that they jack the price up to $69.99 so the discount price is only $52... Amazon has it for $54.

Hrrmmm >:T

I had to call out today so I wasn't able to confirm until just now, but Lego stores have Agents, City Arctic, new Ninjago, Creator, and Juniors sets for sale now. :)

Also TRU in-store has the GS Vermon Vaporizor for $45 so it will be mine.

I had to call out today so I wasn't able to confirm until just now, but Lego stores have Agents, City Arctic, new Ninjago, Creator, and Juniors sets for sale now. :)

Also TRU in-store has the GS Vermon Vaporizor for $45 so it will be mine.

All Galaxy Squad should be had, but Vermin Vaporizer is top 3 of the line. Definite top 10 (or top 5 for Ghostmind) of everything last year for me. Get it. So, so awesome. Only GS that tops it for me are Bug Obliterator and Hive Crawler.

ghostmind

Vermin Vaporizer is the real deal.

Little known fact: the GS flyer from the Crater Creeper set can dock with the VV in place of its included rover.

Little known fact: the GS flyer from the Crater Creeper set can dock with the VV in place of its included rover.

I feel compelled to rebuild them to test this. Almost. One day.

But GS was best theme of last year. LEGO Movie is winning it this year for me though. I am terrified to get into Ultra Agents, because I fear that will be a BIG hole that will consume me. I must not spend money. Too much stuff going on to buy stuff except special occasions. Must be strong!

They are two distinct parts, at least on bricklink you can specifically order with or without grooves. There are man pieces that come in two slightly different variants. In a retail set that is really annoying. Haven't had that happen to me though.

All Galaxy Squad should be had, but Vermin Vaporizer is top 3 of the line. Definite top 10 (or top 5 for Ghostmind) of everything last year for me. Get it. So, so awesome. Only GS that tops it for me are Bug Obliterator and Hive Crawler.

I had to run to the store to get ginger ale and soup, and the store was in close proximity to TRU so I rolled the dice that I wouldn't barf for the few minutes it would take to go in and snagged the Vaporizer.

Yessss you guys are all the worst best friends

chidrock

This sounds familiar to me. I think I ran across that when I built mine, and the pieces were used in two different places, but I don't know for sure. I just took a look at it, but didn't see anything by glancing at it. The instructions don't list them separately either.

I had to run to the store to get ginger ale and soup, and the store was in close proximity to TRU so I rolled the dice that I wouldn't barf for the few minutes it would take to go in and snagged the Vaporizer.

Yessss you guys are all the worst best friends

With that set, you will be thankful. Top tier stuff.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just a little bit of a heads up.

Amazon listed the Simpsons CMF series for 5.99 initially.

Right now they are 3.99

If you're the kind of person who doesn't like feeling the bags (what kind of LEGO fan are you!), or if you simply can't find them anywhere else... it's an option.

http://amzn.com/B00JDFTN60/

And as usual, free shipping with a $25 or more order.

Hmmm, got the Jedi Class Defender set and put it together but...eh...not feeling the design at all. Perhaps it's just me but the other Old Republic ships were really great designs but I'm not feeling this one.

Gonna build the Vaporizor! Expectations are high, I actually thought this one looked the least interesting and was only gonna get it to complete the collection.

AWFUL LOTTA STICKERS THOUGH...

ghostmind

The more reviews I see of the CITY Arctic sets, the more I realize the repetition between them all. I'm now thinking that the best bet would be to get just the Arctic Ice Breaker, as you get a snowmobile, a sled dog team, a polar bear, a small helicopter, a tractor with a plow, a small research station, and the big Ice Breaker boat itself. Except for a couple differences in some faces, it also looks like you get all the torso/leg prints that are available in the other sets.

rdRlpEv.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
I did that for one series, that will do me for now.
you're a lucky man then... but with the prices on these rising, the random route is less viable, at least for me. Still it is fun to just open a random bag. Never know what's inside!
The more reviews I see of the CITY Arctic sets, the more I realize the repetition between them all. I'm now thinking that the best bet would be to get just the Arctic Ice Breaker, as you get a snowmobile, a sled dog team, a polar bear, a small helicopter, a tractor with a plow, a small research station, and the big Ice Breaker boat itself. Except for a couple differences in some faces, it also looks like you get all the torso/leg prints that are available in the other sets.

Good points, and while I already wanted this set, I DEFINITELY want it now.

I don't have any ships (except the space and underwater kind), and want to work on that. also: trains (but that's a dark path)

Top Bottom