• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Does anyone know what of all the new summer sets comes with the new neck piece that lets minifigures connect easily with technic pieces?

Kinda an odd question, but for mech building it really interests me.

I don't have your answer but I'd be curious what piece you mean.
Do you mean the small gray piece that looks kinda like a chair, that has a hole for the neck on one side and a stud on the other? If that's the one, every Lego Movie set has them because it's what's used to keep the Piece of Resistance on Emmit's back. Also, the Spiderman VS Doc Ock as well as Venom have them too, for Doc's mechanical arms and Venom's slime tentacles.

Actually, I think the one for Doc Ock and Venom are different? I'm not at my desk to check but I think instead of a stud they have one of those Technic-looking posts coming out of the back part?

I don't have your answer but I'd be curious what piece you mean.

Do you mean the small gray piece that looks kinda like a chair, that has a hole for the neck on one side and a stud on the other? If that's the one, every Lego Movie set has them because it's what's used to keep the Piece of Resistance on Emmit's back. Also, the Spiderman VS Doc Ock as well as Venom have them too, for Doc's mechanical arms and Venom's slime tentacles.

Actually, I think the one for Doc Ock and Venom are different? I'm not at my desk to check but I think instead of a stud they have one of those Technic-looking posts coming out of the back part?

it's the jetpack with wings part near the end of this video:

http://youtu.be/5Aj0T_589vk?t=14m24s

ghostmind

Looks like the new Passenger Train (set 60051) is a miss. Some rather cheap design, including a flaw that could send it derailing at anything beyond a slow speed, should not happen with a $150 set with 610 pcs.

I was never planning on getting this one anyway, as I have the vastly superior (in my opinion) Horizon Express. I am curious to see what the reviews say about the new Cargo Train though, but it better be good for $200 with 888 pcs.

That being said, the new Train Station (60050) is a definite upgrade on the old one from 2010.

Zerojul

So it appears I may be fitted with this monstrosity. If so I will be able to build again!

350__13A.1_COMBINATION_OPPENHEIMER_WITH_REVERSE_KNUCKLE_BENDER.jpg

Hopefully I can start hitting the backlog in a few weeks.

Really hope it gets better soon, man. (Looks a bit like the Nintendo Power Glove to me for some reason.)

XHkmNDr.jpg

SPACESHIP!
Things are getting very real. Has anyone spotted this in Europe ?

Looks like the new Passenger Train (set 60051) is a miss. Some rather cheap design, including a flaw that could send it derailing at anything beyond a slow speed, should not happen with a $150 set with 610 pcs.

I was never planning on getting this one anyway, as I have the vastly superior (in my opinion) Horizon Express. I am curious to see what the reviews say about the new Cargo Train though, but it better be good for $200 with 888 pcs.

That being said, the new Train Station (60050) is a definite upgrade on the old one from 2010.
Damn, that is really disappointing. REALLY disappointing. I wanted to upgrade my train eventually to the new tracks that they have now and this was the set I was gonna upgrade with, but I guess not. I mean, I have no idea where is PUT a train in my house but I've talked to my cousin/roommate and it's something we're both down to do. Cargo train looks rad, yes, but I wanted a passenger train.

I wonder how much it would cost to MOC my own? Wheels, battery, remote, receiver, track, and all the blocks... Hrmm.

What's the flaw in the new set? Would it work as a base for a MOC or is there something else about the motor?

Damn, that is really disappointing. REALLY disappointing. I wanted to upgrade my train eventually to the new tracks that they have now and this was the set I was gonna upgrade with, but I guess not. I mean, I have no idea where is PUT a train in my house but I've talked to my cousin/roommate and it's something we're both down to do. Cargo train looks rad, yes, but I wanted a passenger train.

I wonder how much it would cost to MOC my own? Wheels, battery, remote, receiver, track, and all the blocks... Hrmm.

What's the flaw in the new set? Would it work as a base for a MOC or is there something else about the motor?

You could go for the Horizon Express bundle.

I still need motors for it, but the build on the train itself is fantastic stuff.

ghostmind

The flaw isn't hard to fix at all - JANG's got the details on that - but it should never have happened.

What annoys me more about it is no doors, and big holes in the floor that they never bothered filling in.

PalaceBrother: I had no idea you were afflicted in a way that prevented you from building :( What a terrible fate for an AFOL. Let us know how that works, I hope it's a big improvement for you. Both in LEGO building and life as a whole... because there is more to do than build... or so I once thought.

OT here, what happened?

EVC5iK9.gif

Hope your recovery goes well. Sounds horrible to deal with. Our thoughts are with you, sir.

Good to have you back in the game! Do they know why/how it happened?

Thanks folks. Didn't mean to turn this into pity-GAF but I genuinely appreciate the well-wishes. I am totally Buster, Phonce.

Long story short: they think I slept on my arm funny on April 17th. Since the morning of the 18th my radial nerve has been completely inoperable so I cannot lift my wrist or extend my fingers/thumb out past a resting position. I can grip and make a fist but my wrist completely curls up when I do it so the hand is mostly useless.

Had a nerve conduction study done on Monday where they stuck electrified needles into my muscle tissue, moved the needles around the muscles while inserted and electrified, and had me move my arm at the same time so they could get readings off of the muscle flexing. Fun. Prognosis: could get some function back in 6-24 months but maybe never. Hence my desire for robo-claw above.

At least I have a left hand.

Really hope it gets better soon, man. (Looks a bit like the Nintendo Power Glove to me for some reason.)

It's so bad.

Yep. LEGO store had just got them in, along with new sets from several other themes.

Jealous. There are way too many sets getting released lately. I still want the Restaurant, VW Camper & Sail Barge but the x3 hype speaks to me as a child of the 70s. Plus WVM needs to happen...and forget about the new SW sets. Ugh.

I look forward to watching Jang's review. The train honestly looked pretty paltry aside from some cool lines in the design. I really like the Cargo train and station though. Makes me want to buy a larger table for my LEGO room.

actually looking at the USD price compared to AUD I'd be very interested if someone who had a lego store nearby could get x2 of them to ship to me in Australia. They could claim the VIP points :)

I've got a lego expo in early june and was doing a classic space themed display with some friends and I don't think we'd get it by then if we were to wait for shop@home to get it in

I could check my Lego store if they have them but that wouldn't be until the weekend and I lack a big enough box to ship them...

And get well Palace Brother!

wetwired

I could check my Lego store if they have them but that wouldn't be until the weekend and I lack a big enough box to ship them...

And get well Palace Brother!

I'm definitely tempted, I'm after 2 of them which I don't know if that makes it easier to box or not. Anyone have any idea what the box dimensions are?

Zerojul

I'm definitely tempted, I'm after 2 of them which I don't know if that makes it easier to box or not. Anyone have any idea what the box dimensions are?

Brickset says :
Dimensions
48 x 37.8 x 7.1 cm
(18.9 x 14.9 x 2.8 in)
Weight
1.59Kg (3.5 lb)

Same size as the QuinJet it seems, if that's any indication. A wee little bit heavier :)

So it appears I may be fitted with this monstrosity. If so I will be able to build again!

350__13A.1_COMBINATION_OPPENHEIMER_WITH_REVERSE_KNUCKLE_BENDER.jpg

Hopefully I can start hitting the backlog in a few weeks.

Just coming back from a torn tendon in my elbow I have a very small idea of what you must be going through. I could still move my arm and about 10 days light usage now it's almost back to normal but wishing you well man.

Today's events;

Dropped wife at airport to go visit her folks, can't travel myself due to health issues.
Diverted to Lego store on way home from said airport to cheer myself up.
Purchased goods pictured below.
Used zero from this months free money budget, shhhhh don't tell my wife.

Topped off the last Simpson CMFs I needed, got the baseplate for a modular MOC I'm doing. Will guild the SW ships later I hope and report back. I like the look of them though.

Zerojul

Yeah... I was on the fence, but I'm going to have to pick this one up.

Damn, same here. I was really set on passing it but the incredible amount of cleverness of the whole thing won me over :(
After watching this I feel the need to eventually get it. And to MOC it with microfighters and little super heroes rides and whatnot as soon as I do :)

Ponn

Banned
Thanks folks. Didn't mean to turn this into pity-GAF but I genuinely appreciate the well-wishes. I am totally Buster, Phonce.

Long story short: they think I slept on my arm funny on April 17th. Since the morning of the 18th my radial nerve has been completely inoperable so I cannot lift my wrist or extend my fingers/thumb out past a resting position. I can grip and make a fist but my wrist completely curls up when I do it so the hand is mostly useless.

Had a nerve conduction study done on Monday where they stuck electrified needles into my muscle tissue, moved the needles around the muscles while inserted and electrified, and had me move my arm at the same time so they could get readings off of the muscle flexing. Fun. Prognosis: could get some function back in 6-24 months but maybe never. Hence my desire for robo-claw above.

At least I have a left hand.

Hope everything turns out. You could ask them if they could attach a brick separator to the contraption. Maybe that would allow one handed building.

Jang reviewed the Fairgrond Mixer. I'm really loving this set.

http://youtu.be/B7oxngedF10

Yeah... I was on the fence, but I'm going to have to pick this one up.
Mother of god. I was in already, but seeing all the little details, it really does look divine. He does say it doesn't have any really tricky build techniques and gets repetitive at points, but the end result is so awesome you dont care.

Man. Much excite.

Can't watch the video right now, what wrong with it?

The build has a lot of problems. There are holes in the floor, there are no doors, functional or otherwise, on any of the cars for passengers to get in an out, the nose of the train is too long to put the included waiting station on the outside of the loop of tracks, as it runs into it. The worst offender, though, is part of the build on the back car actually prevents the wheels from turning when it goes around corners, resulting in the train derailing. There's a super easy fix, but IMO it's really embarrassing that it happened in the first place. People are gonna be buying these sets for their kids and the train's gonna keep derailing and they're gonna get pissed.

The build has a lot of problems. There are holes in the floor, there are no doors, functional or otherwise, on any of the cars for passengers to get in an out, the nose of the train is too long to put the included waiting station on the outside of the loop of tracks, as it runs into it. The worst offender, though, is part of the build on the back car actually prevents the wheels from turning when it goes around corners, resulting in the train derailing. There's a super easy fix, but IMO it's really embarrassing that it happened in the first place. People are gonna be buying these sets for their kids and the train's gonna keep derailing and they're gonna get pissed.

The doors (or lack thereof) were annoying, then the holes arrive and I'm thinking this is poor. Then the 2x2 getting in the way and causing it to derail.... how did this thing get released like this I wonder?

From bad to good, built the Phantom. I like it but do have issues. The build itself was fun, simple but enjoyable. The end look is really good especially how you open the wings to reveal a little detail, it feels like a kind of spaceship I might have had as a kid, some sort of 80's feeling.

The downside for me is the exposed underside of the wings. I just don't know, I like what they did and get the idea but it looks rough.

I also had a spare polybag from the other day so modded it a little.

(bad light, sorry)

Before;

After;

Zerojul

From bad to good, built the Phantom. I like it but do have issues. The build itself was fun, simple but enjoyable. The end look is really good especially how you open the wings to reveal a little detail, it feels like a kind of spaceship I might have had as a kid, some sort of 80's feeling.
;

I like it, especially your "custom" version. I'd like to hear your impressions on the Ghost and how the two combine when you build it :)

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
JANGBRiCKS Bike Shop & Cafe review

Still interested in this I think- folded up the buildings are pretty cool, and I like the idea of 8x8 modulars. Obvs not as detailed as the proper modulars, but i'll be getting it either to expand upon or just as a mod accessory pack- nice amount of doors and windows in there.

WOW thats extremely embarrassing.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
JANGBRiCKS Bike Shop & Cafe review

Still interested in this I think- folded up the buildings are pretty cool, and I like the idea of 8x8 modulars. Obvs not as detailed as the proper modulars, but i'll be getting it either to expand upon or just as a mod accessory pack- nice amount of doors and windows in there.

I really like the concept of these small "modulars". Makes for good display AND play sets. Cheaper too. Lots of MOC potential - 16x16 hinged modulars should totally be a new category.

That said, I do think this set doesn't look like it's gotten as much attention as the regular modulars. Some of it seems simplistic and undefined.

I really like the concept of these small "modulars". Makes for good display AND play sets. Cheaper too. Lots of MOC potential - 16x16 hinged modulars should totally be a new category.

That said, I do think this set doesn't look like it's gotten as much attention as the regular modulars. Some of it seems simplistic and undefined.

I might get one, but not in June if it releases then. Too much stuff already. Along the modulars it might be dwarfed, but I'm thinking the bigger build could fit next to Parisian Restaurant as a lower building.

That Baby Modular is totally rad, I want to get 3 of them to make each mode and create a little city block. Lots of nice details too for something so small. Much better than all the wasted space in the larger Grand Emporium. >:T

I might get one, but not in June if it releases then. Too much stuff already. Along the modulars it might be dwarfed, but I'm thinking the bigger build could fit next to Parisian Restaurant as a lower building.
It's already out, TRU and Lego Stores have had them since Monday.

So I got the newish Batman vs Penguin set at Target for under $4 last night. The box had a clearance sticker marking it down to like $9 and the cashier seemingly took that down by even more. I was pretty stunned.

Obviously it's only like $8 in savings but it's still nice!

Rootbeer

Banned
That Baby Modular is totally rad, I want to get 3 of them to make each mode and create a little city block. Lots of nice details too for something so small. Much better than all the wasted space in the larger Grand Emporium. >:T

It's already out, TRU and Lego Stores have had them since Monday.

Not all stores... my local LEGO store hasn't received anything new since the Sand Crawler. Trust me I've been asking about every other day to check for new stuff since they started hitting stores.

Not all stores... my local LEGO store hasn't received anything new since the Sand Crawler. Trust me I've been asking about every other day to check for new stuff since they started hitting stores.

Whoa, really? Where are you located?

The way it was explained to me was that new sets typically hit the East Coast first since they're coming from Europe, and then they trickle out to the West Coast, and I'm in LA so I figured everyone should have them by now :O

I like it, especially your "custom" version. I'd like to hear your impressions on the Ghost and how the two combine when you build it :)

Thanks.

Got to the half way stage, just finished book 1 and this is a sturdy ship I tell you. It's using some cool tricks to add strength too, taking this down is not going to be easy. I can sit the phantom in place but the support is not there yet, still, I think it will work quite well.

The first part of my second Chinese knock off order arrived. The Fantastic Four is here!

Here they are:
ln0Xnlu.jpg

Four vs DOOM in a battle of the bootlegs:
0eU1ZZ2.jpg

Hulk vs Thing:
jRYeTGr.jpg

They make up and immediately fall for DOOM's nefarious "wrong ice cream" plot:
488hIkd.jpg

Packaging was a simple envelope this time. I have 2-3 orders out from different vendors, so they will arrive separately. I left out Mr. Fantastic's saw and Thing's hammer, but the other accessories are "as is" and I think they look pretty good. I may have to figure out a "clear" solution to the Invisible Woman's powers, but I think the Human Torch might just have to deal with his, lol.

Top Bottom