• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Thank. And I know they will. It will be a few really, really rough months, but my wife and I will be fine.
Didn't get the management job at the new LEGO store opening soon, but did apply for a temp position. It would only be a couple of months and would be right by where I work full time. Crossing my fingers I get that because it is actually perfect because it would only be temp. And would get my foot in the door for full time.

Oh, and as for financial advice to everyone: take care of your teeth. Sure, a lil work here and there is fine, but later in life it balloons into a big expense. Just FYI.

Zerojul

Oh, and as for financial advice to everyone: take care of your teeth. Sure, a lil work here and there is fine, but later in life it balloons into a big expense. Just FYI.
Yeah I totally know what you mean. That 4000€ bill from my dentist back in 2010 was no joke.
Hope things get better for you real soon.

sorry to hear that Phonciple... :( then again you can look at it this way: now you finally GET to do what we all SAY we should be doing but don't, stop buying damn sets for a while!!!! I REALLY should do this as well, as my credit limit is just about busted for good :(

also: i agree about teeth, a little pro tip which actually works but is certainly VERY hard to do right is to completely 100% leave aside sugar! Ever since i've done this (due to another medical condition) my teeth have been absolutely pain and problem FREE!

All the best Phonce!

Joining the party

They are better in person than in images.
Love the fishbowl, overall disappointed by the lack of accessory variety though.
Also why are many of them staring up?

kapowza

Millhouse should have had his dad's album cos the episode with the Biclops comic was terrible.

tumblr_mag9y4enjj1qh6r18o1_500.jpg

or a copy of BONESTORM!!!

Marge should have had her bowling ball named Homer.

Another Update, some more roof details, I'll probably save the final roof ornament til later and attempt the stairs inside next.

Rooftop_03.jpg

Also I had the day off to look after the kids so I drove out to a local LEGO store (not an official one) to pick up a bricklink order, any guesses to the theme of my next MOC? shouldn't be hard...

Really looking forward to starting on it, I keep wanting to stop working on the rooftop to do that instead. It's been a fair while since I've done a freeform MOC and I'm keen to get started, I'll likely let the pieces I have dictate the shape.

Amazing work as usual. You need to do a stop motion with all the Ghostbuster MOCs you have.

The loudspeakers were the pieces that screamed classic space. At first I thought Gungan sub.

I was waiting for someone to do this with the Infearno flame - from just2good:

0axxAmg.jpg

Awesome! LEGO needs to come out with more leather jacket wearing minifigs. :) Perhaps CMFs will do some 50's Fonzie type minifig.

I'm gonna be all over that set next week. That inferno minifig is just so awesome and the rest of the set is cool. I'm like that Bamboo Bricks reviewer going on and on about that minifig.

All the best Phonce!

Joining the party

They are better in person than in images.
Love the fishbowl, overall disappointed by the lack of accessory variety though.
Also why are many of them staring up?

Nice. Someday I'll work on a display solution that suits my needs.

Millhouse should have had his dad's album cos the episode with the Biclops comic was terrible.

You're right. Maybe an idea for custom stickers.

....take my hand with your glove of love

mrkgoo

Thank. And I know they will. It will be a few really, really rough months, but my wife and I will be fine.
Didn't get the management job at the new LEGO store opening soon, but did apply for a temp position. It would only be a couple of months and would be right by where I work full time. Crossing my fingers I get that because it is actually perfect because it would only be temp. And would get my foot in the door for full time.

Argh, teeth. All the best.

Norfair

And why doesn't Homer have Ned's tool box? I suppose that's an easy one to fix though.

Darn, well good luck! Hopefully things work out with you guys!

I second this. Yes, take care of your teeth (and don't start smoking or quit) it's only 10 minutes out of your day to brush and floss. I just paid over 4K for my significant other implant and that was after insurance and not counting previous treatment (another 1K). Luckily this was anticipated so we were saving and budget for them accordingly. (It still blow a giant chunk out of our yearly budget). Her entirely family have terrible bones and teeth because her parents smoke all the times.

Almost bought lex armor today at target since I need some more lego ball joint bricks. Decided I'll probably pick up the creator green mech set instead since it has all the parts I need plus more.

I'll be shot over this but I still don't know why people like the lex armor build so much. Every time I look at it in detail the build dosnt stand out to me in any way :(

Almost bought lex armor today at target since I need some more lego ball joint bricks. Decided I'll probably pick up the creator green mech set instead since it has all the parts I need plus more.

I'll be shot over this but I still don't know why people like the lex armor build so much. Every time I look at it in detail the build dosnt stand out to me in any way :(

I like it because the price is fantastic for what you get. All 3 of the minifigs are must have in teh DC line and the mech has some really fun features, like the kryptonite gun and articulated fingers on each hand. The mech itself is very sturdy and can be posed in a wide variety of ways and looks great the whole time. Combine it all and you have a set that begs to be played with for a very low price point. There's a reason it's been around so long!

gsrjedi

Power Armor Lex didn't look too appealing to me either just looking at the box, but I bit last month and it really is pretty great once you get to building and playing with it.

Yeah, Power Armor Lex set is one of the best deals for the money. Great build. Great figures. Great playability. And cheap to boot. One of the easiest recommendations.

Man I'm so conflicted about the lex suit. I'll grab it on sale next drop on amazon.

Don't be conflicted. It really is worth the hype. It would be a great set no matter what, but the $20 or under price point of it just makes it that much sweeter.

Besides, where else are you going to get pre Nu52 Superman and Wonder Woman? Nowhere.

ghostmind

I think that I am in the minority here, but I'm not really fond of the Simpsons CMF. In fact I find myself feeling nostalgic for the simple CMF series releases of the past. The movie minifigs were ok, but what I really want is the old 16 random minifigs with new prints and accessories.

I'm hoping Series 12 is a return to form, and it fit does have a tie to the MMO, that it is just codes that you can enter to add the minifigs to the game.

I think that I am in the minority here, but I'm not really fond of the Simpsons CMF. In fact I find myself feeling nostalgic for the simple CMF series releases of the past. The movie minifigs were ok, but what I really want is the old 16 random minifigs with new prints and accessories.

I'm hoping Series 12 is a return to form, and it fit does have a tie to the MMO, that it is just codes that you can enter to add the minifigs to the game.
I think that was the point why they took a break so people will want them again.

In another note if you have Target near you they put out the new Ninja Turtles set and thus put many of the old set on clearances. This is Target so YMMV.

Don't be conflicted. It really is worth the hype. It would be a great set no matter what, but the $20 or under price point of it just makes it that much sweeter.

Besides, where else are you going to get pre Nu52 Superman and Wonder Woman? Nowhere.

I'm not a big fan of any of the figs but I'd probably find a use for them. I'm usually yes or no with my Lego choices but this set has me split directly in the middle.

Rootbeer

Banned
Checking back in with my LEGO store...

Alright so here's the thing, when I asked them about new stock they said "nothing that has been put on the shelf yet" which is an answer I've heard a few times in the past. After asking a bit more, they told me they have new City and Ultra Agents but that they can't put it on the shelf till the 25th (!!!), but that there is a chance it could be approved for shelving on Monday the 19th... :/

Why are some LEGO stores in the USA selling it but not mine? Shouldn't they all be getting the same memos?

RE: Target... seems to be several Target LEGO clearance spottings lately, they are definitely clearing shelf space for the summer items. Good time to be keeping your eyes open.

RE: Simpsons... totally understand the desire to go back to the old pattern, i'm really happy we got a mixup in the formula though. Love the Simpsons line, it's fantastic... but I agree with the comparatively weak accessory selection to other series. Though to be fair they kinda made up for it with the Heads, even though I understand a lot of people don't like them. I adore them to bits even if they don't mix perfectly with other figs!

It's gonna suck to see them go back to the "old" style of minifigs while keeping the 3.99 price though... sigh :/ Maybe going forward ALL minifig bags will tie-in with the minifig MMO (and not just the next series, cause we already know that one will)... at least that will lighten the sting some.

theaface

congrats on the set. I'm under a year away from my 30th but I dont think my fiancée would think to get me Lego :(

Ha, mine made a little dinner party yesterday with my family and hers and it was completely Lego themed:

- Lego birthday cake
- Yellow cups with mini figure faces drawn on
- Red, yellow and blue balloons
- Pot pies with Lego brick pattern pastry

I guess she's just embracing my inner man-child!

To each their own. I really like the Simpson CMFs. It's a nice break. I recall people complaining about the lack of originality on some of the recent CMF series (i.e. it's just a female version of the previous CMF or a male version of a previous CMF, it's evil or good version of a previous CMF, etc).

I also do hope Series 12 (it should since it's continuing the numbering) is back to the usual CMFs. I wonder if they will continue to do some of the dual color moulds for sleeves like they did with the Simpsons. If they did, I'd accept the huge price hike better.

Still, I do hope they do have some special theme CMFs about once a year. Super Hero / Super Villain theme please! Actually, the manager at a LEGO store said something about future CMFs will all have themes, and not be a mix like what we are used to. I took it with a grain of salt. I think the manager was probably thinking since the next one was the "LEGO game theme", the other would too. I don't think the manager knew the LEGO Movie and Simpsons weren't part of the regular series since next one is Series 12 not 14.

I think that was the point why they took a break so people will want them again.

In another note if you have Target near you they put out the new Ninja Turtles set and thus put many of the old set on clearances. This is Target so YMMV.

Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder to watch out for summer clearance. I'm hoping for some good Hobbit clearances.

Ha, mine made a little dinner party yesterday with my family and hers and it was completely Lego themed:

- Lego birthday cake

The cup idea is awesome!

- Lego birthday cake

Forwarding this to my wife.

Eh you're not alone, I don't really care for the Simpsons CMF. They have nice accessories but I'm hoping for a return to the original ones instead.

Rootbeer

Banned
Wonder if Jang keeps all the LEGO he reviews? I know some like The Brick Show (yeah I know they have their haters here :p) sell a lot of theirs at cons or online.

Secretly hate him cause he clearly has way more money than me to spend on LEGO... by a lot :p

Zerojul

The mailman just woke me up to give me this :

Awesome. Now I wonder if that's enough new sets for today or if I'll go get the Fairground Mixer or not.
What are the "must-have" sets in the Hobbit line ? I was kind of considering 79010 Goblin King Battle but the price here (99€, best offer 85€) makes me really wonder if it's worth it...

Built the Crater Creeper and Star Slicer. Totally rad. I underestimated the draw of the giant bugs, this series is amazing.

But now my Vermin Vaporizor is totally outnumbered! Gotta get more Galaxy Squad sets to even things out!

The mailman just woke me up to give me this :

Awesome. Now I wonder if that's enough new sets for today or if I'll go get the Fairground Mixer or not.
What are the "must-have" sets in the Hobbit line ? I was kind of considering 79010 Goblin King Battle but the price here (99€, best offer 85€) makes me really wonder if it's worth it...

You got the one. I guess the warg attack one is good for getting Thorin (and Bifur), but the rest only if you plan to collect all of the dwarves. Goblin King Battle is the only one I didn't get (although I got Nori, Dori and Ori separately).

The Hobbit suffers terribly from Big Grey Wall/Generic Tree Syndrome. There are some awesome locations they could have made like Radagast's cottage or maybe Beorn's halls, but no, needs more trees.

Wonder if Jang keeps all the LEGO he reviews? I know some like The Brick Show (yeah I know they have their haters here :p) sell a lot of theirs at cons or online.

Secretly hate him cause he clearly has way more money than me to spend on LEGO... by a lot :p

I'm assuming he does. He has a TON of spare parts to build his MOC city, and he has that second Lego room with the Space sets and various modulars and others he hasn't dismantled yet. He also seems to get sets mostly for new exciting parts and techniques, so it's not like he could sell much of the rest. I'm assuming he has a well-paid job and obviously his channel is becoming popular enough to give him a fair bit of extra cash.

sgA3hss.jpg

I finished a new bunch of my custom characters.

I was a bit careless in deciding on colours for these, so some turned out difficult to put together. Jinu Ezebel (1st, back row) has Robin's cape. To make her (inspired by Hilde) flag spear I cut some pieces but tried to keep it fairly original without gluing a bunch of stuff. When I came up with the design of Edwendi (2nd, back row) I had Angelica from PotC in mind, which became rather expensive for me.

Elandar (1st, front row) is an old figure but I was never happy with his old hair. The new Ninjago piece was perfect (with elf ears added). Bhokan (2nd, front row) got a neat coat made from a Lego cloth piece, which actually connects to his waist like original cloth skirts. Finally, Xianko (5th, front row) is another old figure who got a new hairpiece courtesy of Karai.

Comments?

One thing I'm considering doing is painting the waists of the female characters. I'm not really sure I like it but some of them look rather strange without this detail.

Are the review set came from LEGO? Or does he buy his own sets? I am sure with the channel being popular he probably get enough ads to help support his LEGO. I really like his review, and he always thoughtful and understand that some of the set are made for kids. Some reviewers seems to think LEGO should just be catering to them.

wetwired

Are the review set came from LEGO? Or does he buy his own sets? I am sure with the channel being popular he probably get enough ads to help support his LEGO. I really like his review, and he always thoughtful and understand that some of the set are made for kids. Some reviewers seems to think LEGO should just be catering to them.

I think some of the more popular channels and blogs get sent sets directly from lego, that's that the elementary guy said in his ghostbusters review anyway

So after just having finished Bad Cop Pursuit (only the car though) i officially am in love with that thing! It looks like it just jumped out of 5th Element or Minority Report or any other Sci-Fi movie that features sleek HoverCars like that. I realize it is probably seen as a boat by many but to me it's a freakin Hovercar!! I also did not apply the stickers as it looks great and neutral without them.

Anyway, after this, the ultra sleek lookin Infearno Cycle of the upcoming Agents sets has now shot up to one of my most wanted sets!!!

Top Bottom