• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

judhudson

Haha! Went to Toys R Us yesterday and came out walking with this:

10363747_10203823894177394_8568470474352399365_n.jpg

They had all of the new LEGO Movie Sets!

Then I went to see The LEGO Movie at the dollar theater...it was jammed pack still. I also brought along my LEGO Emmet costume I had commissioned. Unforunately, the legs were not fit to my size, so I had a friend fill in for me while I wait for them to ship me taller legs. He was modeled after the one they used to officially advertise the movie during the Premier event. Kids and adults loved him!

Pic of me and my friend wearing the costume:

10383016_10203825060566553_7628729966396816978_n.jpg

More pics on my album: https://www.facebook.com/judhudson/media_set?set=a.10203825016045440.1073741855.1221104035&type=1

Zerojul

The Hobbit suffers terribly from Big Grey Wall/Generic Tree Syndrome. There are some awesome locations they could have made like Radagast's cottage or maybe Beorn's halls, but no, needs more trees.
This project looks really nice IMHO :
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/55656
But yeah, I think I'll put any purchases in the Hobbit line on hold until I see more of this year's sets. If nothing inspires me I'll just get the dwarves I need off of BL and call it a day. Thanks for the input. Oh, and nice customs by the way :)

So after just having finished Bad Cop Pursuit (only the car though) i officially am in love with that thing! It looks like it just jumped out of 5th Element or Minority Report or any other Sci-Fi movie that features sleek HoverCars like that. I realize it is probably seen as a boat by many but to me it's a freakin Hovercar!! I also did not apply the stickers as it looks great and neutral without them.

I've just got it delivered in the post today, along with the 2 in 1 ice cream van. I love how unique the ice cream fan looks.

The car does look amazing as well.

Wonder if Jang keeps all the LEGO he reviews? I know some like The Brick Show (yeah I know they have their haters here :p) sell a lot of theirs at cons or online.

Secretly hate him cause he clearly has way more money than me to spend on LEGO... by a lot :p

Yeah, there are people like that in every hobby. I've mentioned on here before that I partake in many different hobbies and choose to spread my money among all of them. While I don't have the very biggest collection of any one of them, I do have a really respectable collection of each of them. My mood and focus switch on the fly, so one week it's board games, the next it might be video games, Lego, or movie collecting. I actually put a large Board Game order on hold and bought Lego Galaxy Squad instead. My reasoning was I just bought a whole bunch of board games (hah!) and there are also 2 video games coming out this month I want to buy (MK8 and Wolfenstein). Once in awhile I find a new hobby and throw that in the mix for awhile. Anyway, people that really dedicate themselves to a single thing are always pretty impressive IMO. There are people into Warhammer 40k that spend thousands of dollars a month on huge plastic armies that they have to assemble and paint. It's crazy and it's awesome!

Out of all the hobbies I have, Lego takes up the most space. I think that is a limitation of the hobby. At some point, you just run out of room to display/store new stuff faster than many other hobbies.

Here is part of my movie and board game collection from around 5 years ago. My board games have gotten much, much larger and my Movie collection has shrunk since then thanks to ripping man of the DVDs to a HD and only buying new releases on Blu Ray.

28TSR3y.jpg

Here's a quick snapshot of the various hobbies and other cool BS I have out (lots more hidden!) in my house. We haev a lot of purpose built rooms in our home, so my hobbies can all have their own space and not interfere with the overall decor.

Here's some of my Lego stuff and my primary building area. Very messy right now because I'm doing some reorganizing/rebuilding.

Rz2vfQN.jpg

3U5xRTO.jpg

This is where I build (1 of 3 places actually!)
ppY0cLQ.jpg

View from my hobby table to the 70":
of2bUBp.jpg

View from the TV looking back at my station (this is a folding hobby table):
O6SDcFC.jpg

Some Video Games and stuff (about 500 console games across all platforms):
px7IwJ8.jpg

My PC set up (I keep my Vita and DS XL within arms reach here too):
BwVuVxP.jpg

Some board games:
y2WU23y.jpg

ag99xij.jpg

Decent 2nd Edition + Expansions laid out:
lNey7PV.jpg

Zombiecde + expansions laid out:
D8s1PiM.jpg

Comics, magazines, and what's remaining of my DVD collection (mostly foreign and TV series box sets):
YXbjTlm.jpg

Existing Blu Rays + Theater Candy (we have a popcorn and cotten candy machine too!):
qzYFrWO.jpg

Whew!

Family/classic board games are kept in the cabinets under the bar and excess Lego in the cabinets along the wall.

I have a lot of fun bullshit. I frequently have friends over and we run an extra 46" TV downstairs and hook up my second Xbox 360 to it for multiplayer sessions. I do it so often, we're going to put one down there on the wall permanently once I redo the media room (hopefully in the next year or two). A lot of the time, I like to have a TV show or movie playing when I game too so that would be great to have a second set handy. I keep an extra 360 in the bedroom where we have a 65" TV. It's a great place to escape to once in awhile. That is actually where my 2 girls prefer to play MineCraft. Also, my wife and I like to play games while in bed at night together. We're currently playing Marvel Lego actually!

Zerojul

Just got back from my Lego store. Still no sign of Spaceship, or any of the new Movie sets for that matter. No Ultra-Agents either, the Infearno set will have to wait.
Pulled the trigger on this anyway :
They had the set on display and it looks VERY good in person :)

The Balloon Cart polybag is an awesome bonus.

Got the Shredder poly too, I'm still willing to send it to anyone interested in TMNT in areas where it's not available :) Nice looking little fig though.

ghostmind

Are the review set came from LEGO? Or does he buy his own sets? I am sure with the channel being popular he probably get enough ads to help support his LEGO. I really like his review, and he always thoughtful and understand that some of the set are made for kids. Some reviewers seems to think LEGO should just be catering to them.

The JANG does buy his own new sets, along with about a billion orders from Bricklink and eBay for older sets and parts. To my knowledge, he does not resell any of the sets he buys, though with the sheer volume of sets he now brings in since his switch from Bionicle/HERO Factory to most LEGO themes (along with Halo, CoD, and other companies' brick system themes), he may run out of room to keep everything someday.

As to the history of the JANG, I will let him speak for himself on that:

JANG said:
From 1993 to 2009 I developed & designed user interfaces for software and, after the Internet came around, web-based sites & applications. I slid up & down the gradient that runs from server-side coding to visual design, learning the languages of different disciplines and proliferating empathy for end users.

In '09 I took a dramatic (but not blind) step off an entire industry's cliff to solely pursue an undying adolescent dream of working with toys -- kids' toys. I expanded my long-standing UltimateRC.com radio-controlled car/truck forum community brand to a vast YouTube audience with independent product reviews and instructional. Separately, building on pockets of past experience and enthusiasm that began in earliest Reagan years, I delved head first into the LEGO building blog & video viewership through, again, product reviews and unique custom builds, now centralized at JANGBRiCKS.com .

ghostmind

Speaking of which, JANG's Flashback Fraturday for May 17th:

7772 Lobster Strike (2007)

http://youtu.be/9HQqXdYuFRg

An Aqua Raiders sett! My knowledge of the themes and sets of the 90's up to 2009 is very limited, so I hope JANG plans on diving (seewhatIdidthere) into these as he has with Classic Space.

ghostmind

Just got back from my Lego store. Still no sign of Spaceship, or any of the new Movie sets for that matter. No Ultra-Agents either, the Infearno set will have to wait.
Pulled the trigger on this anyway :

They had the set on display and it looks VERY good in person :)

The Balloon Cart polybag is an awesome bonus.

The second coming of last year`s Hot Dog Cart is indeed an awesome bonus! My plans for June 1st echo your haul, save for the Shredder minifig.

Let us know how the Fairground Mixer build experience is!

Spaceship x3 get!
Shit got real guys, it's out in the wild, bought it at the New Lego store in Montreal, my son and I are putting this bad boy together
this afternoon.

Zerojul

Spaceship x3 get!
Shit got real guys, it's out in the wild, bought it at the New Lego store in Montreal, my son and I are putting this bad boy together
this afternoon.

You guys are such teases :(
Seriously though, I wonder why Europe got the new SW wave so soon and has to wait for the new Movie sets, and why it's the other way around for NA. There must be a commercial/logistical/strategical logic somewhere but it eludes me :)

Ponn

Banned
So apparently Comcast is going to have Lego Movie available for purchase digitally almost a month early next week and for $10. I was scoffing at the idea of buying a digital movie from Comcast when they first started doing it but I'm very tempted with this.

I think someone post this earlier but reminder if you are in pacific northwest, Fred Myers is having LEGO sale all LOTR sets are on sale. The one I went to have the new X-Men VS Sentinel set ... what a rip-off at $49.99 for 336 pieces not to mention both the ship and the Sentinel are terrible builds.

Built the Crater Creeper and Star Slicer. Totally rad. I underestimated the draw of the giant bugs, this series is amazing.

But now my Vermin Vaporizor is totally outnumbered! Gotta get more Galaxy Squad sets to even things out!

I really like the smaller brick built bugs in these sets:
Space Insectoid
Space Swarmer
Crater Creeper
CLS-89 Eradicator Mech

Of the bigger sets, I have only built the big bug in Warp Stinger set. Great looking, but not much playability or swooshability. I've heard the same of Star Slicer which is the only set I don't have from Galaxy Squad theme.

I hate bugs in real life, but I love those LEGO bugs. :)

I really like the smaller brick built bugs in these sets:
Space Insectoid
Space Swarmer
Crater Creeper
CLS-89 Eradicator Mech

Of the bigger sets, I have only built the big bug in Warp Stinger set. Great looking, but not much playability or swooshability. I've heard the same of Star Slicer which is the only set I don't have from Galaxy Squad theme.

I hate bugs in real life, but I love those LEGO bugs. :)
Yeah, one thing I noticed about the Star Slicer is that while it look bad ass on display, it sucks to play with. It's really gangly and the head is on a floppy hinge instead of one of the ratcheting ones - I'll probably mod this. Also kinda disappointed that it sits on its stomach and not its legs, but I don't think they could really support its massive body.

STILL, it's the only set that comes with the red bug minifig so now my legions of bugs have a commander. Might get a second Crater Crawler too, that seems like the kind of "ship" an army would have at least two of.

He understands now...
Oh I always thought the ships were cool but I wasn't sold on the bugs until I built them. Now I want everything from this theme. Everything!

wetwired

Then I went to see The LEGO Movie at the dollar theater...it was jammed pack still. I also brought along my LEGO Emmet costume I had commissioned. Unforunately, the legs were not fit to my size, so I had a friend fill in for me while I wait for them to ship me taller legs. He was modeled after the one they used to officially advertise the movie during the Premier event. Kids and adults loved him!

More pics on my album: https://www.facebook.com/judhudson/media_set?set=a.10203825016045440.1073741855.1221104035&type=1

So jelly

Yeah, one thing I noticed about the Star Slicer is that while it look bad ass on display, it sucks to play with. It's really gangly and the head is on a floppy hinge instead of one of the ratcheting ones - I'll probably mod this. Also kinda disappointed that it sits on its stomach and not its legs, but I don't think they could really support its massive body.

STILL, it's the only set that comes with the red bug minifig so now my legions of bugs have a commander. Might get a second Crater Crawler too, that seems like the kind of "ship" an army would have at least two of.

Oh I always thought the ships were cool but I wasn't sold on the bugs until I built them. Now I want everything from this theme. Everything!

I like the theme because I get to build something quite different than "normal" lego sets. The bug sets come together nicely and in unique ways. I really hope they revisit the theme someday. Monster Fighters too!

leng jai

Jealousy levels critical.

Jimbro72

Saw the new Spaceship x3, Dropship, Bike Shop and new Arctic sets at my local TRU. No big yellow mech, though. Didn't buy anything yet as I prefer to wait for the deals and sales but was nice to see some new stuff on the shelves. Also reminded me I need to get busy and get caught up with many other sets I still don't have yet that have already been out since start of the year.

Ponn

Banned
too much stuff, Too much stuff, TOO MUCH STUFF!!

We should start a Lego GAF youtube channel and get Lego to give us free stuff. Unf those polybags, Toysrus is on the other side of Jax for me but I may have to take a trip there to check out the polybags. Also make sure I have less than a 100 bucks on me so i'm not tempted by Spaceship!

Was just at my local TRU buying a birthday present for a friend's son and Play-Doh toys for my daughter. The store had new Movie sets and Ultra Agents! Buy I remained strong under the watchful gaze of my wife...

Rootbeer

Banned
JANG uploaded a new version of his Benny's Spaceship review, he edited out too much footage from the other version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ioo87AJHtc

Also I have a question for everyone: Do you have any LEGO books? If so which ones would you recommend? I'm specifically talking about the non minifigure-centric books such as the Visual Encyclopedias.

JANG uploaded a new version of his Benny's Spaceship review, he edited out too much footage from the other version.

Also I have a question for everyone: Do you have any LEGO books? If so which ones would you recommend? I'm specifically talking about the non minifigure-centric books such as the Visual Encyclopedias.

LEGO playbooks are really nice as far as giving you ideas and techniques. Phon recommend it a few times so I bought one and they are great.

So apparently Comcast is going to have Lego Movie available for purchase digitally almost a month early next week and for $10. I was scoffing at the idea of buying a digital movie from Comcast when they first started doing it but I'm very tempted with this.
Many of them are doing this, I personally think it's shitty practice. Another new current thing to do is separated out 3D and jack up the price which they did with LEGO Movie.

Top Bottom