• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Looks like Target is having a buy one get one 40% off right now on their Star Wars sets. Too bad i'm waiting for the GotG stuff and the remaining lego movie sets.

Pretty damn cool Mech!

Mech, mech, MECH!

Nice work. I'm sure we'll see smaller mechs like that with those new ball joints. I have a mech in mind when I have time.

Very nice mech, congrats :)

Thanks!

I really wanna get good at mech makin. Big goal of mine.

It's not difficult as long as you have the right parts -- ball joints and SNOT pieces make it a ton easier. I spent some time looking through the Mech category on MOCpages.com for inspiration and man, some of those guys are insane with what they make and how they make it.

------

I didn't want to misplace the leftover mixel pieces, so I started slapping things together and made these four: Derpy Crab, Henk, Nub, and Slim.

mixels_zps4437fcc8.jpg

Zerojul

Did the rest of the interior of the ghostbusters rooftop and did a rough Gozer, next step is the big ornate thing on the rooftop itself and filling in some gaps underneath so you can't see the baseplate when you peek in (not see in the photos but will be visible at the expo)

This is amazing, as always :)

Ponn

Banned
So I watched the review on the GoTG Knowhere set and man, I really want Rocket Raccoon and Groot but the rest of that set is just really meh. You can't tell me with an epic space adventure the best scene you could come up with was a small little tower? Well, at least its not a grey wall like the LoTR sets.

Did the rest of the interior of the ghostbusters rooftop and did a rough Gozer, next step is the big ornate thing on the rooftop itself and filling in some gaps underneath so you can't see the baseplate when you peek in (not see in the photos but will be visible at the expo)

Rooftop_05.jpg

If I find time I might add some more details on the exterior, but I've got other shit to built too so it's not looking likely.

Awesome! Is there going to be a stop motion video to go along with all those Ghostbuster MOCs?

I didn't want to misplace the leftover mixel pieces, so I started slapping things together and made these four: Derpy Crab, Henk, Nub, and Slim.

mixels_zps4437fcc8.jpg

Ooooh. Mixel Minis!

Ryuuroden

I decided even though my store has spaceship spaceship spaceship finally, its so close to June I will just wait till then to pick up a bunch of stuff in multiple trips so i can get at least 3-4 balloon sets. If I decide I do want Simpsons minifigs, I will get them at that time. Will also be picking up the new mixels series, stuff off PAB, Ghostbusters set, maybe USC x-wing or Kingdoms Joust especially Joust since that should vanish soon. Other than that, I want to wait until double points to pick up Sidney Opera House, Ewok Village, Sandcrawler, one or two more palace cinemas for pieces (probably just one), a 3rd pet shop set, and any new exclusives that come out by then. I plan on fully catching up on exclusives this year and staying current from now on. I usually only buy exclusives and CMS series at the Lego Store. Everything else I try to find on sale elsewhere. I may possibly get SSD next month but its size is a big question mark for me so if anyone has theirs on display if they could post photos with it next to other sets or just how they they display it that would help my decision making, I would appreciate it.

Also I just bought a Nikon D5300 DSLR this weekend which is my first SLR camera since college so 10 years. Looking for a good lens to get for photographing Lego MOCs and other detail stuff. I did a lot of macro photography in college and plan to do more but looking to pick up a general purpose lens and a macro-lens. Right now I just have a AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR II kit lens.

mrkgoo

Those mixel minis are cool.

So milhouse in the movie - was that a sneak preview before the minifigs came out? Did people notice him and make a big deal of it at tr time of the movie release?

Those mixel minis are cool.

So milhouse in the movie - was that a sneak preview before the minifigs came out? Did people notice him and make a big deal of it at tr time of the movie release?

People noticed, but we already knew that the figures were coming so it wasn't a huge deal. I think the figures from the house were revealed then too.

Well, went to mall across from work on lunch. Lego Store is now open. PAB was meh, but the staff was really nice. Now I have a close store. Yay! But I am dead broke. Boo!

And as for Mixel contest, my computer still has issues but should be able to get a voting thread up soon. Sorry it is delayed due to technical errors on my end.

What's the best lego minifigure book? I'm looking to get one as I decided last night that when I get the Palace cinema I'm going to surround it with film figures and scenes but I need to know what figures are out there.
There's a book that's like the entire history of minifigs. It comes with three, a storm trooper, a crook, and one other. I'll try to find the title.

mrkgoo

People noticed, but we already knew that the figures were coming so it wasn't a huge deal. I think the figures from the house were revealed then too.
Ah, I see. Thanks.

I didn't know of the house was revealed at that stage and people were still wondering if they were going to use moulded or painted faces.

mrkgoo

There's a book that's like the entire history of minifigs. It comes with three, a storm trooper, a crook, and one other. I'll try to find the title.
Ive got that book.

It's not amazing. Just photo after photo of minifigs. Not really that comprehensive and the comments are mostly kind if inane. Like "printed space logo". Some interesting tidbits like saying that this was the first instance of a molded hair or something.

Maybe interesting if you wanted to know when certain minifigures series came out, but I would've much preferred an encyclopaedia, like a picture of EVERY figure
Released.

MisterNoisy

Looks like Target is having a buy one get one 40% off right now on their Star Wars sets. Too bad i'm waiting for the GotG stuff and the remaining lego movie sets.

Same sale, but my Target also had it apply to Creator sets. Sadly, I don't really need anything.

Also, if you like Nerf guns, same B1G40off applies. ;)

Also, the pizza guy yesterday said he liked my gundam models. I didn't have it in me to tell him they were built from LEGO bricks, lol.

Ive got that book.

It's not amazing. Just photo after photo of minifigs. Not really that comprehensive and the comments are mostly kind if inane. Like "printed space logo". Some interesting tidbits like saying that this was the first instance of a molded hair or something.

Maybe interesting if you wanted to know when certain minifigures series came out, but I would've much preferred an encyclopaedia, like a picture of EVERY figure
Released.

I've just seen the book with the 3 minifigs and I thought it was an list of every minifig released. That's disappointing. I might still pick it up as some time of guide.

I'm very close to finishing the vw campervan. Damn it has taken over 8 hours already. I do usually build while watching wrestling but I ran out of that this weekend so listened to some old 1 up yours. God I loved that show.

Oh and I went a bit mad this weekend with polybag. I've bought Good Morning Bilbo (I want to find a grey hair piece for him so I can turn him into Ian Holm Bilbo), Frodo and the kitchen, mini vw campervan, balloon cart (for outside the cinema), Halloween grave set and the micro version of the millennium falcon (once again for outside the cinema).

Aww crap :( I never grew up with Legos and now in my late 20s and just started to fall for their charm :( I'm a little lost at where to really start. Any advice?

My first small set is the BTTF Deloran. I know they are becoming harder to come by but I'm saving up for the Simpsons House set before the end of the summer. For my birthday this weekend, I received a GC to Amazon. I'm thinking about preordering the ship from the Lego movie.

Caladrius

Aww crap :( I never grew up with Legos and now in my late 20s and just started to fall for their charm :( I'm a little lost at where to really start. Any advice?

My first small set is the BTTF Deloran. I know they are becoming harder to come by but I'm saving up for the Simpsons House set before the end of the summer. For my birthday this weekend, I received a GC to Amazon. I'm thinking about preordering the ship from the Lego movie.

Try and get one of those basic brick collections. The ones they have out now have a pretty good assortment of colors.

Also, the Mixels are great if you need parts for robots and whatnot.

mojiimbo

What's the best lego minifigure book? I'm looking to get one as I decided last night that when I get the Palace cinema I'm going to surround it with film figures and scenes but I need to know what figures are out there.
Gizmodo has a good timeline of a lot of the figures made up until 2008.

http://lego.gizmodo.com/exclusive-the-evolution-of-the-minifig-5070884

I'm just waiting for Ghostbusters to show up on S@H.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Ghostbusters-Ecto-1-21108

Creator series is the best thing when just getting your feet wet. Great variety of pieces, prices all along the spectrum, and many sets come with instructions for three builds. Creator is the one theme that is always reliable in quality. And this year in particular has been very strong with the animal stuff.

Try and get one of those basic brick collections. The ones they have out now have a pretty good assortment of colors.

Also, the Mixels are great if you need parts for robots and whatnot.

Creator series is the best thing when just getting your feet wet. Great variety of pieces, prices all along the spectrum, and many sets come with instructions for three builds. Creator is the one theme that is always reliable in quality. And this year in particular has been very strong with the animal stuff.

Thanks guys! I hope to collect only the pieces that I fall in love with and not fall into the trap of buying just to buy. Too many vices, not enough money :( lol

Ryuuroden

Same sale, but my Target also had it apply to Creator sets. Sadly, I don't really need anything.

Also, if you like Nerf guns, same B1G40off applies. ;)

Also, the pizza guy yesterday said he liked my gundam models. I didn't have it in me to tell him they were built from LEGO bricks, lol.

Always wishing lego would pull off a licencing coup and get permissions to make LEGO Gundams and mobile suits like the Zaku but it will never happen cause even if they wanted to do so, Bandai would prolly never let go the modeling stranglehold they have with the series.

Zerojul

Gizmodo has a good timeline of a lot of the figures made up until 2008.

http://lego.gizmodo.com/exclusive-the-evolution-of-the-minifig-5070884

Pretty cool, thanks :)

Voting thread for the Mixels contest is up.

My apologies for the long delay. Multiple computer problems this week have prevented me from doing many things. Was relying on my tablet and phone for all postings, but was able to get on the computer and get the thread ready.

Happy voting!

Thanks a lot, this will be tough because I think everyone did an awesome job :)

theaface

Voting thread for the Mixels contest is up.

My apologies for the long delay. Multiple computer problems this week have prevented me from doing many things. Was relying on my tablet and phone for all postings, but was able to get on the computer and get the thread ready.

Happy voting!

Appreciate the effort mate!

Feel free to take down the Shock Lobster if you want to - it was a second build by me (after Rockodile) and just for fun. Personally I don't mind either way, but just wanted to respect the rules. :)

leng jai

Anyone else going sticker less with Benny's Spaceship? Looking at the set the only ones I want to use are the two on the back fins.

Zerojul

So I was considering buying the B-Wing from the new SW wave, trying to decide what price I was willing to put into it. I could get it for MSRP now or wait a few weeks for it to appear on Amazon and the likes.
I was trying to be reasonable about it and not spend too much, what with all the new sets coming out next month. To help me decide I tried to gather impressions and reviews here and there on the web.
I ended up getting the 10227 UCS one.
Dat willpower :(

mrkgoo

Feel free to take down the Shock Lobster if you want to - it was a second build by me (after Rockodile) and just for fun. Personally I don't mind either way, but just wanted to respect the rules. :)
Lol, I voted for shock lobster!

Oh, crap. How did I overlook that? I avoided a few of the extra builds others did, but somehow missed that. Will fix later after work.

ghostmind

So I was considering buying the B-Wing from the new SW wave, trying to decide what price I was willing to put into it. I could get it for MSRP now or wait a few weeks for it to appear on Amazon and the likes.
I was trying to be reasonable about it and not spend too much, what with all the new sets coming out next month. To help me decide I tried to gather impressions and reviews here and there on the web.
I ended up getting the 10227 UCS one.
Dat willpower :(

I6GtqiX.gif

Just got back from Westfield Stratford Lego store and they had Spaceshipx3 in stock so grabbed one right away. Had gone with the intention of getting the SW Police Dropship but it was out of stock it seemed.

They also had the Mech and Police Dropship but holding off on them for now

Brick wall was not great, standout for me was white 1x10 brick.

Time to build Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP!

Hmmm. If Rocket wasn't a licensed and probably rather rare figure, I'd like to saw off that head and use those shoulder pads separately... all standalone pads are so over-sized (Ninjago, Chima etc).

Anyone else going sticker less with Benny's Spaceship? Looking at the set the only ones I want to use are the two on the back fins.

Not me, I had to put em all on, even if I do a terribad job at sticking them stickers on it just seemed like a set that really needs them to show its lineage.

so anyone here buy Spaceship 3 times to REALLY make it "Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP" ?

if i had the money i'd do this and place em all next to each other, see who gets the joke! (ah who am i kidding? In my lifetime NO ONE will ever visit my home and actually understand an inside joke like that)

Zerojul

My GF snagged a Parisian Restaurant Modualr for 30% off, which I believe is a slick deal. I was quite surprised to see the box was smaller than the Palace Cinema or Fire Brigade for a superior pieces count but that's really fine by me, I can really use the extra space.
On a side note, @ wetwired & Jables Swan, your Flashback Shredders are in the mail, I hope they travel safely :)

Via Cammo on Eurobricks:

HrwFSAx.jpg

Awesome team is awesome. The villains are nice too :)

Creator sets are good but I'd advise starting on some smaller sets first and working your way up to the bigger sets. The Quinjet is amazing if you're into Marvel

Do you want to get licenced themed ones or original sets?

That is a great link. Thank you.

I'm out with the family doing window shopping. No luck on any new sets at any area stores so far :(

I did get 5 video games for $60 though, which is a great find!

Ugh. I'm mostly covering a 48x48 with plates to get a raised area and I've already run out of tan plates. Oh well, another Bricklink order... and since I don't want it to just be flat, I'll need lots of smaller ones for detailing. Oh, and there's a river flowing by and I don't have any blue. Etc, etc, etc...

Top Bottom