• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

No Zeldaaaaa again. Expected considering Nintendo's involvement with this other brick brand. But after Lego City Undercover there was a little hope... :(

Rootbeer

Banned
Zelda would have been great too!

Either would have been huge sellers. It's sad to see the opportunity pass by.

Who knows, maybe I'll like #008, it could look a lot different by the time they get it all ready. But female minifigures are NOT one of LEGO's strengths... even when they are at their best (say, Wyldstyle) the female body form just doesn't translate to that LEGO part structure as well.

R-User!

If Research Institute is only $20 I'll buy it to a. Support Ideas and b. it's cheap and will have a cool Dino Skeleton!

Maybe it'll have a fire extinguisher next to the lab!

Edit: After further thought, I'd be surprised if it was less than $30 bucks; which would make me think twice about it... Would have to have some useful rarer parts...

I can live without Zelda to be honest but I know I'm a minority here.

I have no knowledge or even am a fan of Dr. Who but I think that series deserves more love and makes sense in Lego form.

Ugh. What a boring and uninspired set. Low piece count, nothing unique, and worst if all it is just too simple. The Lego designers will really have to do something creative to garner my interest (and dollars). A larger and more complex skeleton would be appreciated.

I liked every other entry better than this one :(

Ugh. What a boring and uninspired set. Low piece count, nothing unique, and worst if all it is just too simple. The Lego designers will really have to do something creative to garner my interest (and dollars). A larger and more complex skeleton would be appreciated.

Have faith. Even if it's old molds the prints will be very unique I'm sure. I think it'll be a great pack for loading up on unique minifugres to be honest.

Ponn

Banned
My backup Terror Dogs arrived today, now with added dogdy horns :p

terrordog3.jpg

That was an awesome idea right there.

Man what a day for Lego fans, just got home and saw the bits about Slave-1 and that rumor about a DC UCS!!!

gimme ANYTHING but a tumbler please!!! i'll take a BatWing no questions asked, but i'd really love a remade Burtonmobile!!!

LEGO Ideas Winter 2014 Review Results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrWK3UIvXYs

#008 will be Female Minifigure Set. It will be titled Research Institute. Aug 2014 release.

Here is its Ideas Page: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/15401

Maaan how cool would it have been to get Adventure Time? Oh well :( :(

I've given up on Zelda. Adventure Time would be great, but I think it would require a new mould to make a proper Finn minifig.

Really hoping for Dr Who to make it through.

Ponn

Banned
Wasn't there a picture of Batman with all his rides and it had a classic Batmobile in the background? That would be interesting.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
21110 Research Institute has me excited if only by name alone.

If we can get a few paleontology work benches and an even bigger dino skeleton as a centrepiece i'm game.

Wait if Research Institute is supposed to ship in August, when do we get the Exo Suit? I thought that was the August release?

I think this is a little premature, given that all the designs from the pitch were just very simple examples (it even says as much in the description) and we have literally no idea what the final set will look like or include.

I agree, it's pretty boring set and something that they could just be done with any other set. I can't help but think that they only pick this because all the media and people whining about how LEGO is not cater to girl. It's a pretty lackluster choice.

Also I am surprise about Tumbler hate. I am not big fan of the vehicle either but I think it would be pretty neat to have UCS version. Batwing from the movie should just be regular set like the Seacow. Watch LEGO will put Green Lantern in that set and make collector cry.

Death Star Troopers Set

q1yx8QIl.jpg

The new figures, Imperial Gunners and Emperor's Guard are beautiful. The Guard now have correct color arms (darker crimson color) but the Vibro Staff is a little lacking. The Gunner helmet is really nice looking and very accurate (for LEGO).

bPXxu5fl.jpg

The cannon itself is pretty simplistic and I am not sure if I like all the transparent red pieces. It's a lot smaller than the Death Star version and only a single seat but may be it supposes to represent another variation of the cannons. I think the original one from Death Star set looks a bit better but they both have their pros and cons.

1Y7MVGql.jpg

Decided on getting Benny's spaceship. Blown away, its a super awesome set! Probably the biggest lego set I've built in a very long time. I really like how the wings extend out, and the way the mini ships attach to them and extend the wing span is really clever. The black ship is really cool, even though I'm almost 20 I'm having a blast having dogfights lol.

I think this is a little premature, given that all the designs from the pitch were just very simple examples (it even says as much in the description) and we have literally no idea what the final set will look like or include.

It's not even a matter of what it might be, it's more a matter of what *it is not* that is so disappointing. Lego Ideas is the absolute best chance to snipe a set from an IP that Lego would not consider otherwise or at the very least, land an interesting stand alone display piece. All of the other sets had a pretty awesome IPs attached to them that I would have liked to have owned.

The scientist set doesn't fill a single niche that couldn't be filled by making a regular city set. It's a wasted opportunity IMO. Don't get me wrong, I eagerly wait for Lego to show me otherwise. I have pretty low expectations though.

This new commercial for Benny's Spaceship is awesome.

http://youtu.be/V-pgeBJZPjE

Edit: Looks like they made new commercials for all three new Movie sets!

http://youtu.be/MjMkAZaqsVI

http://youtu.be/vqJz6IgOmyI

Interesting commercials. The Spaceship looks like it has so much more play features. I'm biased, but after watching all 3 commercials, I was sold on the Spaceship one the most.

Dropship, didn't look fun to play with, but it looks cool as heck to me. Johnny Thunder probably has kids wondering why that minifig is even in the set. I guess Green Ninja and Batman balance out Johnny Thunder.

It's not even a matter of what it might be, it's more a matter of what *it is not* that is so disappointing. Lego Ideas is the absolute best chance to snipe a set from an IP that Lego would not consider otherwise or at the very least, land an interesting stand alone display piece. All of the other sets had a pretty awesome IPs attached to them that I would have liked to have owned.

The scientist set doesn't fill a single niche that couldn't be filled by making a regular city set. It's a wasted opportunity IMO. Don't get me wrong, I eagerly wait for Lego to show me otherwise. I have pretty low expectations though.

Well, the line of thought being this could be a City set is undoubtedly true, I'll give you that. They already have the Museum Heist set, it WOULD be nice to see them to an entire Science Center type set along the lines of their Police Station and Fire Station, a flat building with a room for botany, paleontology, astronomy, etc. But that's probably thinking too big since the idea here was apparently to make an entry-priced set with lots of female minifigs to pad out the number of sets featuring ladies.

I actually disagree on using Lego Ideas as a launching ground for IPs that might not ever get full themes. Yes, the sets they've made so far that are licensed are amazing, don't get me wrong. I am all about the Ecto-1 like nobody's business. But I feel more like Lego Ideas should be a creativity-driven line, for things like the Exo Suit - which could just as easily be argued as being a waste and saved for just a City Space set.
I see people submitting sets based on IPs Lego are already making sets off of (Batman and X-Men) or sets that are thinly veiled excuses to get Minifigs of someone's favorite series (Dr Who, Big Bang Theory) and I feel like that just defeats the whole purpose of Lego Ideas.

But really I think it'll depend on the execution. Maybe it'll be something really cool and smart and a nice use of resources, or maybe it'll be something stupid that SHOULD have just been a City set. I can't imagine that it'll resemble the ideas given as examples in the initial pitch, just small plates with a figure and something identifying her job, when it actually comes out.

One does not simply try to beat this haul...

...there are none who can!

A more Star Wars related statement:

"What a wonderful haul you've discovered!"

"Always remember: your haul determines your reality."

"What kind of haul are you talking about?"
"More well than you can imagine."
"I don't know. I can imagine quite a bit."

I built my Giant Squid Mixel! He came out WAY different than I had originally envisioned, but looks wicked cool IMO. My first honest to goodness MOC (the Chima/Ninjago Mech Hybrid barely counts since I just added parts from one set onto another). I finally see the glory of the Mixel, especially this particular set. From these pieces I was able to make a LOT of different versions of my monster before I got to the one I've settled on. Totally stoked.

The only things outside of (three) Tentro sets I used were the joint pieces from the Legends Wolf set to make the tentacles hella long and flexible. And as a cool side product of the way I did the tentacles (two long, two shorter with grabbers) he can actually convert the smaller arms into legs and climb out onto the land.

If I could change one thing, I'd probably add one more Tentro set to him to give him six arms instead of only four. Then he'd had two short tentacles in front, two claw-like medium tentacles on his sides, and the two long thin tentacles on his back (when he's on land, these act as whip arms). Would probably be able to beef up his body a little bit too, and use some solid brick in place of stacked clear 1x1 orange circles (which would then turn into suction cups under the arms), but he seems to work just fine the way he's currently built in that respect.

I'll try to upload pictures later today, I've gotta go in to work for a couple hours to help with the Monthly Mini Build!

Katoki

Seeing the Mini Cooper makes me want to buy the VW Camper now as well. Only problem is that I buy stuff but never build it.

Top Bottom