• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Don't thank me for the design of the final set, that's all Marcos Bessa.

And as I've said, if anyone is willing to pay for the postage i'm happy to sign sets

Well yes I knew that someone redesigned your set (I like the hood and fenders of yours much better) but I meant that it wouldn't exist without you. Yours was clearly the superior Ecto-1 of those submitted and your idea to target the 30th anniversary helped, I'm sure.

I'll look into how much it would cost and get back to you. I have a friend coming to visit from Sydney later this year so I could either ship it and have her bring it back, or have her take it and ship it back. I'll let you know!!

Ryuuroden

Yay, I was able to withstand the SSD again and perhaps the final time. I think what helped was knowing there is a probable minifig scale falcon coming back so I want space and money for that plus the fact I am honestly more a fan of the fighters and other smaller ships from star wars rather than the capital ships. However, if they ever make a medical frigate model, i may have to reconsider? Or a mon calamari capital ship.

Zerojul

Yay, I was able to withstand the SSD again and perhaps the final time. I think what helped was knowing there is a probable minifig scale falcon coming back so I want space and money for that plus the fact I am honestly more a fan of the fighters and other smaller ships from star wars rather than the capital ships. However, if they ever make a medical frigate model, i may have to reconsider? Or a mon calamari capital ship.
I prefer the fighters too but I'm glad I got the SSD in time, the thing's a beast. I'd totally be down for a medical frigate, too :)

wetwired

Spent the night putting together my first mosaic for the Brisbricks expo on the weekend....

gblogo2.jpg

It was actually my 2nd attempt after my first one ended up way too big and I was running out of pieces, it was originally about twice as big....

gblogo1.jpg

ruxtpin

Banned
Count yourselves lucky you don't do what I do and buy unopened sets from the 80's and 90's...that is a huge money sink.

I've toyed with this idea. What older sets have you picked up? I was looking at the Dragon Masters sets, Space Police 2 and Blacktron 2. Growing up I had a sprinkling of sets from all themes, and my folks would get me 1 or 2 "larger" sets a year. Now I can just buy them all :)

Kyari

Woke up today with the intention of going to browse for lego stuff in stores.... then realised I can't realllly justify that when I have around 15,000 unbuilt pieces waiting for me D:

I did build the Ecto-1 while watching The Real Ghostbusters episodes the other ay though, so great. Between that, the DeLorean and the Batmobile it makes me want more pop-culturish vehicles... though I am drawing a blank as to what I could make.

I think I have learnt to stop worrying and love the variety.
No chance in hell I can buy all the sets that appeal to me, last set I bought was the new x-wing. I like to think that I have successfully cut down on my LEGO urge. ;)
Also I have mostly resigned myself to only buying sets on clearance, except the LEGO exclusives as they don't go on clearance. I try to not even consider sets unless they are at least 30% off.

I almost never pay full MSRP. I will buy some items I really want when they hit 15-25%. My weakness is I will buy multiples of the same set if they are 50% off or more. I have plans to sell duplicate minifigs, but after 1+ year of selling absolutely nothing, it's not going well. I will sell them, just haven't.

I'm actually at the point where I feel I have too many of some LEGO elements. At least until I actually build enormous MOCs.

They only do a modular a year with the exception of the first year when they did two.

This year's lineup has been crazy.

Parisian Restaurant
Maersk Triple-E
The Simpson's House
Sea Cow
Sandcrawler
Fairground Mixer
Mini Cooper

Pretty much one big exclusive a month so far.

I think you're right about the modulars. All the releases just are blurring together for me.
The releases are insane. There's so many from previous years too. Star Wars alone Red 5 X-Wing, R2-D2, Ewok Village, ...

Zerojul

Any rumours on what the next modular will be?
I would very much like for a police station.

That could be cool and would make perfect sense as an addtion to the modular line-up. I'd be down for something with a bit of exterior/ open areas like the Parisian Restaurant, too.

So, things we've already got covered:

1) Hotel
2) House
3) Grocery Store
4) Fire Station
5) Shopping Mall
6) Pet Store and Apartment Building
7) Town Hall
8) Movie Theater
9) Restaurant

Nice additions:

Police Station
Barber Shop - could have the shop on the bottom floor, top floor another apartment
Music Store - could go with the Barber shop, introduce an acoustic guitar piece Legoooo
Dance/Night Club - a dance floor with a stage on one level, bar with pool tables on another, lounge with darts on another
Repair Shop / Garage - a bigger, more fleshed out version of the Creator set, tall ceiling to put cars up on racks
Library - internet cafe, reading lounge, children's corner, checkout desk
Gym / Fitness Center - One level with a pool, another with weights, another with cycles/cardio

I've also seen mentioned and would really like an "outdoor" modular, like a park. Something that's wider than it is tall, with trees, a swing set, slide, playground, benches, fountain, etc. Maybe they could do the Library but have it only be 2 stories tall, and instead of a third floor up, make it go out sideways one more tile and have a small park next to it?

Also, I'd like to see corner pieces that go, if this makes sense, the other way. As it stands now, once a fourth corner piece is introduced then we'll effectively be able to make a town square I suppose, or all the modulars would become a box facing outwards. I'd like to see corners that, instead of connecting and making the others snap in behind them, I'd like them to snap on.. in front of them?

Currently they go like this:

x__x
x x x

I'd like to be able to have them go:

x x x
x__x

Most towns are set up that way as it is. Here in Burbank, you go down the main strip, there are shops and buildings on your left and right facing you, and then the road dead-ends at the town center. In my hometown of Santa Barbara, the main street ends with a pier at the beach. Does that make any sense to anyone? Is it just me that wants this kind of set up? Heh.

Rootbeer

Banned
I just realized that the Rocket Raccoon minifigure is gray but in the film (as well as the comics and LEGO Marvel game) he's brown... T__T why'd they do this?

I've toyed with this idea. What older sets have you picked up? I was looking at the Dragon Masters sets, Space Police 2 and Blacktron 2. Growing up I had a sprinkling of sets from all themes, and my folks would get me 1 or 2 "larger" sets a year. Now I can just buy them all :)

I've usually been picking up old Town and Space sets. Just a few weeks ago I bought a NIB Ice Tunnelator and Space Nova 2 and not too long ago, grabbed a NIB Forbidden Cove and Surf Shack.

Toys r us had Mars rovers available online today but they sold out in minutes.

What's the deal with the limited availability of this set?

Kyari

I just think a modular police station would be super rad. Have a little holding cell area, a bullpen for the officers, some gumshoe minifigure. Give it to me, Lego :(

neonglow

I'm hoping they make a museum with a giant T-Rex as the centerpiece.

Toys r us had Mars rovers available online today but they sold out in minutes.

What's the deal with the limited availability of this set?

It released in between the change of branding from LEGO CUUSOO to LEGO Ideas. Hopefully, we'll get a new package with updated branding.

Jimbro72

I want a UCS/System hybrid- a somewhat smaller UCS with a fully detailed interior.

This. Put out something in the $250-$300 range that gives it an upgrade similar to what the Sandcrawler just got. Bigger, more detailed than the usual system releases but still smaller than the UCS set, keeping that set special and unique.

Keep an eye on the LEGO Batman Instagram they have been doing some character reveals!

http://instagram.com/legobatmangame

Plastic Man! And... Robin in Hazmat Suit!?

I don't like that version of Plastic Man. Legs are all "wrong".
I like the use of the tubing with the hazmat suit. I'll have to use that sometime.

Green Lantern and Cyborg NOW please!

I've usually been picking up old Town and Space sets. Just a few weeks ago I bought a NIB Ice Tunnelator and Space Nova 2 and not too long ago, grabbed a NIB Forbidden Cove and Surf Shack.

Thanks for making me feel like my addiction isn't too bad (which it really is), but relatively speaking... :)

gerg

I just realized that the Rocket Raccoon minifigure is gray but in the film (as well as the comics and LEGO Marvel game) he's brown... T__T why'd they do this?

What's up with that? He's green in the movie, the LEGO video game, comic, etc.

Blame this on the length of production of licensed products - work on these will have to be finalised while the film (for example) is still in development, so any changes made later in the original property's production won't be able to be reflected.

I don't like that version of Plastic Man. Legs are all "wrong".
I like the use of the tubing with the hazmat suit. I'll have to use that sometime.

Green Lantern and Cyborg NOW please!

Thanks for making me feel like my addiction isn't too bad (which it really is), but relatively speaking... :)

Yes, don't fall down the rabbit hole I have lol

Congrats to the top 3. Excellent entries by all.

Big brows are in. Should have seen that "bushy brows" Shnuffalo would brush the competition aside. Would have been a hair closer if it weren't for the brows.

It was a tie until the final day. Then those Scorsese brows just destroyed everything.

Ryuuroden

1) Hotel
2) House
3) Grocery Store
4) Fire Station
5) Shopping Mall
7) Town Hall
8) Movie Theater
9) Restaurant

Nice additions:

Police Station
Barber Shop - could have the shop on the bottom floor, top floor another apartment
Music Store - could go with the Barber shop, introduce an acoustic guitar piece Legoooo
Dance/Night Club - a dance floor with a stage on one level, bar with pool tables on another, lounge with darts on another
Repair Shop / Garage - a bigger, more fleshed out version of the Creator set, tall ceiling to put cars up on racks
Gym / Fitness Center - One level with a pool, another with weights, another with cycles/cardio

I've also seen mentioned and would really like an "outdoor" modular, like a park. Something that's wider than it is tall, with trees, a swing set, slide, playground, benches, fountain, etc. Maybe they could do the Library but have it only be 2 stories tall, and instead of a third floor up, make it go out sideways one more tile and have a small park next to it?

Also, I'd like to see corner pieces that go, if this makes sense, the other way. As it stands now, once a fourth corner piece is introduced then we'll effectively be able to make a town square I suppose, or all the modulars would become a box facing outwards. I'd like to see corners that, instead of connecting and making the others snap in behind them, I'd like them to snap on.. in front of them?

x__x
x x x

x x x
x__x

Most towns are set up that way as it is. Here in Burbank, you go down the main strip, there are shops and buildings on your left and right facing you, and then the road dead-ends at the town center. In my hometown of Santa Barbara, the main street ends with a pier at the beach. Does that make any sense to anyone? Is it just me that wants this kind of set up? Heh.

Got you covered on some of those:

Barber Shop:

1327781314m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327781402m_DISPLAY.jpg

Police Station

1297975157m_DISPLAY.jpg

1297975237m_DISPLAY.jpg

1297975295m_DISPLAY.jpg

1297975352m_DISPLAY.jpg

Also have a repair shop half built.

Just some stuff i did a few years ago.

Barber Shop:

1327781314m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327781402m_DISPLAY.jpg

Police Station

1297975157m_DISPLAY.jpg

1297975237m_DISPLAY.jpg

1297975295m_DISPLAY.jpg

1297975352m_DISPLAY.jpg

Seeing that just makes me think a mere 32x32 plate would not be enough to do a modular police station justice. It should be huge like yours or on a 48x48. I still want them to make one super sized modular.

wetwired

1) Hotel
2) House
3) Grocery Store
4) Fire Station
5) Shopping Mall
7) Town Hall
8) Movie Theater
9) Restaurant

Nice additions:

Police Station

x__x
x x x

x x x
x__x

A school or bank would be cool, I'd love to see them to do a modular LEGO store too

Some really cool MOCs on here. Andrew Stanton (of Pixar fame) tweeted these. They are from a coworker, Angus MacLane.

Nzha3kxl.jpg

And finished taking down floor 2 of my Bookstore MOC. 1919 pieces just for that floor. So far it has been 4400pcs for two floors and a roof. Kind of odd that it is an even number now that I think about it.
Only the ground floor to go, and I anticipate that one being about 2000+ pieces. I initially guessed the entire thing would be 5000-6000pcs. Looks like it will be quite a bit more in the end.

They only do a modular a year with the exception of the first year when they did two.

This year's lineup has been crazy.

Parisian Restaurant
Maersk Triple-E
The Simpson's House
Sea Cow
Sandcrawler
Fairground Mixer
Mini Cooper

Pretty much one big exclusive a month so far.

Probably trying to ride the extra popularity of the movie and going ham.

A school or bank would be cool, I'd love to see them to do a modular LEGO store too
Oooh yeah! One of my coworkers suggested a hospital too. There are like NO medical City sets. I think there's an ambulance in the "City Starter Kit" but that's bullshit. We have cops, we have firemen, we have the coast guard and miners and loggers and racers, we have THREE different trains and now even an arctic expedition, but no medical sets? What the fuck is that about.

Those are amazing! Thanks for sharing!

So, I've noticed in my many viewings of The Lego Movie that pretty much ALL the Master Builders are from Lego's CMF lines. Well maybe not ALL of them, but a vast majority of them during the scenes in Cloud Coo Coo Land and Bad Cop's Secret Police arresting them are all CMF figures. So it actually got me wondering, where have I seen Wildstyle before?

col092.jpg
tlm027.jpg

Made me wonder if they wanted to use the old CMF character, but didn't want to reprint it for normal sets to destroy its uniqueness or value, so they switched her up a little.

I wish that there was an "Art Of" book for the Lego Movie so bad for stuff like this. I've seen production artwork in magazines and other books but I want one dedicated just to all the design work that went into the movie. There were like 20 different color and body tests for Unikitty, for instance. I wanna see that kind of stuff!

Top Bottom