• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Mini Cooper Revealed!

I think i'm sold

10242_front_01.jpg
Whoa! Much more impressive than I anticipated.

Edit: just read the link. It comes with a brick built picnic basket and cloth blanket. Brick built engine too. That is REALLY awesome.

Edit 2: eeeeh. Stickers on sides of slopes for the window frame. Circular Mini Cooper stickers on curve pieces. Not so cool. Still looks like a fantastic build though.

ghostmind

bM7yltZ.jpg

10242 MINI Cooper

Ages 16+. 1,077 pieces.

Take this MINI Cooper for a nostalgic drive down memory lane!

US $99.99 – CA $119.99 – AU $149.99 – DE 89.99€ – UK £74.99 – DK 799.00 DKK

Available August 1st (July 18th for LEGO VIPs)

Experience the iconic MINI Cooper first hand, with its classic lines, detailed interior and fun picnic theme.

Take the iconic MINI Cooper for a drive! This beautifully crafted LEGO® brick replica of the classic MINI Cooper Mk VII is full of authentic details, from the classic green and white color scheme with white wing mirrors and racing stripes, to the opening doors, hood and trunk, sporty fog lights, detailed engine and separate spare tire compartment. You can even remove the roof to access a tan colored interior with patterned seats, veneer-style dashboard, turning steering wheel, and moving gearshift and handbrake. And of course, no MINI Cooper would be complete without a picnic basket and blanket, the perfect accessories for a cozy day in the countryside!

• Features opening doors, hood and trunk, spare wheel in separate compartment, detailed engine and 2 fog lights.

• Accessories include a picnic basket, bottle and blanket for nostalgic picnic theme.

• Authentic replica of the MINI Cooper Mk VII.

• Classic green and white color theme with white wing mirrors and racing stripes.

• Lift the hood to reveal the detailed engine.

• Remove the roof and access the detailed interior.

• Go on a countryside picnic with this iconic classic!

• MINI Cooper measures over 4” (11cm) high, 9” (25cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.

Designer Video
http://youtu.be/7uvW4Z1QoQA

81GSpm1.jpg

n7F5k42.jpg

A5ikMgQ.jpg

HG4elaE.jpg

NkPZQYx.jpg

9cOh5xg.jpg

ghostmind

Seconded. Just by the video, I want to know more about him. What else did he design?

Andy Seenan - designed the Creator Treehouse from last year. Looks like he has something to do with Mixels. Researching the rest of his portfolio now.

31006 Highway Speedster
5767 Cool Cruiser
various Duplo vehicles

Oh man, he is THE designer for the Mixels.

Andy Seenan - designed the Creator Treehouse from last year. Looks like he has something to do with Mixels. Researching the rest of his portfolio now.

31006 Highway Speedster
5767 Cool Cruiser
various Duplo vehicles

So, he's a vehicle man, which is awesome. But I am in love with the Mixels. He's on my watch list now.

Seriously, I want LEGO to put designer names on everything. Let us know who designed stuff.

So, he's a vehicle man, which is awesome. But I am in love with the Mixels. He's on my watch list now.

Seriously, I want LEGO to put designer names on everything. Let us know who designed stuff.

Uh oh, a LEGO groupie. :)

LEGO designer names on sets will never happen. I just wish it was a bit easier to see who designed what online.

mrkgoo

31006 Highway Speedster
5767 Cool Cruiser
various Duplo vehicles

Highway speedster is the white one, right? love that one. I love the vehicles.

Do the same designers build the alternative models also?

On that note, do we know the design process? I mean does a designer design a model for a creator set, then come up with two alternative models with the pieces? Or does one model get modified so that another model can have the right parts?

The mini looks amazing.

Uh oh, a LEGO groupie. :)

LEGO designer names on sets will never happen. I just wish it was a bit easier to see who designed what online.
That is a fair compromise. Just make it easier to tell who designed what.

But, yeah. I am a groupie. Certain sets are so well done I wanna know who did them so I can get more of their work. I wanna see what other crazy deals they come up with. Gives me more ideas to MOC with later.

Mini looks sooooo guuuuuuuuuuuuuuud. Sorry, Spaceship x3. You're going to have to wait a bit.

Shame about that window frame sticker. Surely there's a more elegant way to achieve the same thing.

Mini looks sooooo guuuuuuuuuuuuuuud. Sorry, Spaceship x3. You're going to have to wait a bit.

Shame about that window frame sticker. Surely there's a more elegant way to achieve the same thing.

They could probably do it with 1x1 bricks of some sort, but it would be fragile as hell.

wetwired

From my understanding no set really has only 1 designer, the ones labelled as designers to our eyes are the project lead for each set, many hands are involved in each project from what I've heard.

From my understanding no set really has only 1 designer, the ones labelled as designers to our eyes are the project lead for each set, many hands are involved in each project from what I've heard.

Interesting. But there is still a project lead, right? Like one guy that was the main force, and then a few supporting people that come and make modifications.

Maybe like getting screenwriter credit in a Hollywood movie. Sure, there could be many people involved, but if you didn't contribute X percentage of the actual final product, you don't get credit?

Got my Ecto!
Returned xwing to pick up the Emporium and Ecto.

All I need now is Fire Brigade and Parisan Restaraunt
Anything before Fire Brigade is just a bonus.

yeah there's a lead on each set from what I understand

So, Persons A did most of the heavy lifting, but bits and pieces were from Persons B and C? Sounds normal.

I still want to know who was involved with what. To know who comes up with the crazy techniques to get certain things done.

Jeesez Effing Cries that thing BLOWS THE VW BUG OUTTA THE STRATOSPHERE!!!

I think I'm sold too... ( 0_o "It's full of stars!")

It looked awesome on its own. But then they showed the picnic basket, and it sent it over the top. So silly how little details like that are what get me so excited for some sets.

EDIT: And for reference:
6d323e21e8ebe82871ce38d8923a2f42-58ce5130c67d6f7db0533ad4e3bf067d.jpg

Love the Mini Cooper and I hope they continued with classic iconic vehicle. (new update Volkswagen bug would be nice or Datsun 2000). The Volkswagen van is in my backlog to build so I might put it ahead of other set.

Do LEGO release this many set per year? Or is it just so many good set this year? Last year was my first year back I don't remember there are so many set to buy, but could be combination of getting set that are about to be retired plus the new one.

Speaking of retirement, the SSD is now Sold Out again so I assume it is gone for good.

neonglow

Love the Mini Cooper and I hope they continued with classic iconic vehicle. (new update Volkswagen bug would be nice or Datsun 2000). The Volkswagen van is in my backlog to build so I might put it ahead of other set.

Do LEGO release this many set per year? Or is it just so many good set this year? Last year was my first year back I don't remember there are so many set to buy, but could be combination of getting set that are about to be retired plus the new one.

Speaking of retirement, the SSD is now Sold Out again so I assume it is gone for good.

It feels about the same amount of sets overall but LEGO has definitely kicked their Direct 2 Consumer line into high gear with a new big set every month.

It feels about the same amount of sets overall but LEGO has definitely kicked their Direct 2 Consumer line into high gear with a new big set every month.

That is what it is. There are less themes I am really itching for this year, but their exclusive sets have been tip top this year.

I am still needing Sydney Opera House and Winter Village Market to complete last year's exclusive sets that I want. And now I have exclusive sets this year to get.

Whenever I get the funds, I am probably sticking to exclusives this year and then picking up random stuff when I can or when great sales come along.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Damn. Skipped the VW van, but the Mini Cooper looks excellent. Get!

Wish the Beetle was still available.

Rootbeer

Banned
Glad the mini cooper isn't a buy for me. It looks fantastic, I can definitely appreciate and admire it. But I have enough to buy as it is :p

Glad the mini cooper isn't a buy for me. It looks fantastic, I can definitely appreciate and admire it. But I have enough to buy as it is :p

Self control is often talked about here, but it's mostly just talk. :)

Seriously though, I hear you. Many sets fall of my list as LEGO comes out with more and more stuff. I just can't keep up. I have to remind myself there are still very expensive Star Wars original trilogy sets that I want multiples coming this summer.

Someone mentioned earlier, antiquegamer(?), that LEGO seems to have more product out this year. It certainly seems like it to me too especially with the Friends line out too. It seems like there are a lot more AFOL aimed sets ($150+) out. Maybe it's because they aren't retiring them too. I mean there's 5 modulars (Emporium, Pet Shop, Town Hall, Cinema, Parisian Restaurant) out and they come out with 2 a year. Granted it seems like Grand Emporium and Town Hall are likely gone this year.

Self control is often talked about here, but it's mostly just talk. :)

Seriously though, I hear you. Many sets fall of my list as LEGO comes out with more and more stuff. I just can't keep up. I have to remind myself there are still very expensive Star Wars original trilogy sets that I want multiples coming this summer.

Someone mentioned earlier, antiquegamer(?), that LEGO seems to have more product out this year. It certainly seems like it to me too especially with the Friends line out too. It seems like there are a lot more AFOL aimed sets ($150+) out. Maybe it's because they aren't retiring them too. I mean there's 5 modulars (Emporium, Pet Shop, Town Hall, Cinema, Parisian Restaurant) out and they come out with 2 a year. Granted it seems like Grand Emporium and Town Hall are likely gone this year.
I think I have learnt to stop worrying and love the variety.
No chance in hell I can buy all the sets that appeal to me, last set I bought was the new x-wing. I like to think that I have successfully cut down on my LEGO urge. ;)
Also I have mostly resigned myself to only buying sets on clearance, except the LEGO exclusives as they don't go on clearance. I try to not even consider sets unless they are at least 30% off.

mojiimbo

They only do a modular a year with the exception of the first year when they did two.

This year's lineup has been crazy.

Parisian Restaurant
Maersk Triple-E
The Simpson's House
Sea Cow
Sandcrawler
Fairground Mixer
Mini Cooper

Pretty much one big exclusive a month so far.

Man, you build with pizza hands? My hands have to be pristine before I get stuck into a set. The same goes for any of my consoles, too.
Oh HELL no, hahaha are you kidding? I ate the pizza while watching the movie, then washed my hands and started on the set. Movie ended and Netflix finally has GBII on streaming, so I didn't even have to get up to change the disc, just kept on building. Just finished.

WetWired this set means so much to me. Ghostbusters is my absolute favorite movie and I have so many memories attached to it. You did such an incredible job with this set, from their packs to the tilted side windows, this is probably the best Lego set I've ever built or will ever build. I've got half a mind to ask if I can ship a set to you to have you autograph it. Congrats on getting such an amazing idea made and thank you so much for putting it out there.

MINI press release

10242 MINI Cooper, 1,077 pieces,
US $99.99 - CA $119.99 - AU $149.99 - DE 89.99€ - UK £74.99 - DK 799.00 DKK
Take this MINI Cooper for a nostalgic drive down memory lane!
Experience the iconic MINI Cooper first hand, with its classic lines, detailed interior and fun picnic theme.
Take the iconic MINI Cooper for a drive! This beautifully crafted LEGO brick replica of the classic MINI Cooper Mk VII is full of authentic details, from the classic green and white color scheme with white wing mirrors and racing stripes, to the opening doors, hood and trunk, sporty fog lights, detailed engine and separate spare tire compartment. You can even remove the roof to access a tan colored interior with patterned seats, veneer-style dashboard, turning steering wheel, and moving gearshift and handbrake. And of course, no MINI Cooper would be complete without a picnic basket and blanket, the perfect accessories for a cozy day in the countryside!
Features opening doors, hood and trunk, spare wheel in separate compartment, detailed engine and 2 fog lights. Accessories include a picnic basket, bottle and blanket for nostalgic picnic theme. Authentic replica of the MINI Cooper Mk VII. Classic green and white color theme with white wing mirrors and racing stripes. Lift the hood to reveal the detailed engine. Remove the roof and access the detailed interior. Go on a countryside picnic with this iconic classic!
MINI Cooper measures over 4” (11cm) high, 9” (25cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.

€ number smaller than the $ number, that is unusual.

wetwired

Oh HELL no, hahaha are you kidding? I ate the pizza while watching the movie, then washed my hands and started on the set. Movie ended and Netflix finally has GBII on streaming, so I didn't even have to get up to change the disc, just kept on building. Just finished.

WetWired this set means so much to me. Ghostbusters is my absolute favorite movie and I have so many memories attached to it. You did such an incredible job with this set, from their packs to the tilted side windows, this is probably the best Lego set I've ever built or will ever build. I've got half a mind to ask if I can ship a set to you to have you autograph it. Congrats on getting such an amazing idea made and thank you so much for putting it out there.

Don't thank me for the design of the final set, that's all Marcos Bessa.

And as I've said, if anyone is willing to pay for the postage i'm happy to sign sets

Top Bottom