• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Just got to LA. Already plotting a raid on the Glendale LEGO Store.

I've got today and tomorrow off, I'm really really tempted to go pick up Town Hall to build tomorrow (might wait till the last day of the Balloon Cart deal, I'm getting near my probationary limit already ughhh). I don't know when you're planning on going or how long you'll be in LA, but I'm working this weekend so maybe we'll run into each other!

Fowler

I've got today and tomorrow off, I'm really really tempted to go pick up Town Hall to build tomorrow (might wait till the last day of the Balloon Cart deal, I'm getting near my probationary limit already ughhh). I don't know when you're planning on going or how long you'll be in LA, but I'm working this weekend so maybe we'll run into each other!

I'm hoping to go early on Saturday if you're there? Going to pray that there's an Ecto-1 and SPACESHIP there, but if not I'm sure I'll find something to spend money on :)

Hahahaha those are some goofy glasses but I gotta admit, the case is legit. I'd buy that case for my glasses for sure.

I'm hoping to go early on Saturday if you're there? Going to pray that there's an Ecto-1 and SPACESHIP there, but if not I'm sure I'll find something to spend money on :)

This Saturday I'm working an AM shift! Off at 3pm. We're sold out of Ghostbusters though D: Pretty sure we still have some Spaceships left, there's always a chance they could send more of either on Friday but it's never 100%, I think they usually just send little things like keychains if they send anything. We've been telling people to check back on Monday for the Ecto-1, don't know if you'll be around then though.

Experien

How is the Hulk Lab Smash set? Seems to be a set for the minifigures?

Also REALLY want that Arctic Base Camp set but been holding off cause of price (despite having $20 LEGO credit).

Also REALLY want that Arctic Base Camp set but been holding off cause of price (despite having $20 LEGO credit).

The set isn't bad. I like the interactive nature of it. It really is designed for Hulk to smash and have it fly apart but easily be put back together.

The figures though are fantastic. Finally, Hulk bigfig with purple pants. MODOK being MODOK. And of course, Taskmaster!!! Thor and Falcon are just bonus.

LOL. I'd rather have a necklace full of LEGO heads. Even better, an oversized necklace with a giant minifig head like rappers used to wear in the 80's.

Hulk Lab Smash set is a playset. For that, it is a nice set that has a bunch of play features which are mostly "smashing" it to pieces. It's a decent piece to display your super hero minifigs. I'm sure if you wait long enough, you can get it for 20% off. Just put a price watch on Amazon because sometimes those sales go quick.

LOL. I'd rather have a necklace full of LEGO heads. Even better, an oversized necklace with a giant minifig head like rappers used to wear in the 80's.

Or hang one of these from your neck:
O7kpJCE.jpg

Those things are HUGE.

How in the hell have I never noticed that Storm Troopers have black stripes under their eyes until right now. I HAVE THAT CLOCK ON MY DESK AND I NEVER NOTICED BEFORE

Edit: It's actually much more pronounced on that clock than mine, must be a different print. But still, yeesh

Zerojul

Guys any opinions on the Winter Village Market (if anyone has it) ?

Edit : nvm, saw the review on Jangbricks. Nice features, good value, plus it will go nicely with this year's Santa Workshop and even Fairground Mixer. So, getting it.

Just saw Jang has reviews of the new Star Wars sets! The Cantina looks AMAZiNG. I totally would buy two of those to 1) complete the band and 2) mod the cantina into a bigger playset.

Goddamn that set looks great. LOVE that it folds up so nicely and that the seats slide out like that. Wow.

Awwwww... they tried to deliver the Ecto-1 while I was at work. Now it won't be available until after the holiday (Swedish national day), next Monday.

Oh well, I've got tons of MOC parts, Mononoke on bluray and Ultra SF4 to keep me company over the weekend.

Rootbeer

Banned
My LEGO store had about 100 Ecto-1 ready to sell on 6/1 and sold them all early that morning. They got another shipment this past Monday and sold through those in about a day as well :)

Mine should arrive from S@H tomorrow!

It really sucks that LEGO stores seem to only get one shipment a week, usually on Monday, with an occasional additional shipment on Tuesday. By late in the week they are out of newer stuff. Was gonna snag X-Men today with a few other small things to top $75 but they didn't have it. Meanwhile, the TRU next door did... but yeah, I'm not paying MSRP with no freebies included :p

Chatting up a LEGO employee while I was there... he had a huge box of minifigs at the counter and I was wondering why... turns out they collect all the figs from the build-a-fig area that get built but not bought and just stockpile them until the box gets about full. then they take them apart again and divide the pieces into their respective bins. :p There must have been a two hundred minifigs easily, heh.

Also my LEGO store usually has a small clearance section but it was totally gone this time, no trace of it. Kinda bummed that I couldn't snatch any good bargains.

My LEGO store had about 100 Ecto-1 ready to sell on 6/1 and sold them all early that morning. They got another shipment this past Monday and sold through those in about a day as well :)

It really sucks that LEGO stores seem to only get one shipment a week, usually on Monday, with an occasional additional shipment on Tuesday. By late in the week they are out of newer stuff. Was gonna snag X-Men today with a few other small things to top $75 but they didn't have it. Meanwhile, the TRU next door did... but yeah, I'm not paying MSRP with no freebies included :p

Chatting up a LEGO employee while I was there... he had a huge box of minifigs at the counter and I was wondering why... turns out they collect all the figs from the build-a-fig area that get built but not bought and just stockpile them until the box gets about full. then they take them apart again and divide the pieces into their respective bins. :p There must have been a two hundred minifigs easily, heh.

Also my LEGO store usually has a small clearance section but it was totally gone this time, no trace of it. Kinda bummed that I couldn't snatch any good bargains.

You went to Stoneridge right? I'm planning on dropping by there on Saturday. Did you happen to see if they have the Grand Emporium or Maersk Triple-E in stock? I'm too lazy to call. =)

Yeah the Build-A-Minifig stuff is gnarly. Kids build all kinds of minifigs and then abandon them, but we needs those parts for other kids to make figs so whenever there's any downtime, we pull out the mega buckets and sort them all. It's a task with literally no end.

As for clearance deals, my managers have told me & customers that the only real sales are May 4th, 4th of July, and the day after Christmas. I've also heard that last year for Black Friday Lego did 3x VIP points and a couple doorbusters too. Otherwise the only discounted stuff is like nameplates and pencil holders. It might vary a little by location but she's said a couple times that Lego doesn't really do in-store sales very often, so don't feel too bad.

Rootbeer

Banned
Sorry, I'm not certain on either. They did have good stock on a lot of things, that's for sure. But I can't recall those two specifically.

If you wanted Guardians of the Galaxy, Agents, LEGO Movie, Star Wars, Friends, Mixels, Simpsons House (but no sign of the CMF series)... they had really good stock of everything mentioned, including the pricier entries in those categories.
Yeah the Build-A-Minifig stuff is gnarly. Kids build all kinds of minifigs and then abandon them, but we needs those parts for other kids to make figs so whenever there's any downtime, we pull out the mega buckets and sort them all. It's a task with literally no end.

As for clearance deals, my managers have told me & customers that the only real sales are May 4th, 4th of July, and the day after Christmas. I've also heard that last year for Black Friday Lego did 3x VIP points and a couple doorbusters too. Otherwise the only discounted stuff is like nameplates and pencil holders. It might vary a little by location but she's said a couple times that Lego doesn't really do in-store sales very often, so don't feel too bad.
Well... all I can say is in the pre-LEGO movie era of my LEGO store adventures I'd find discounted stuff in this little island near the center of the store. I found some Pirate minifigs, Monster sets (yes seriously!), lots of Chima... some marked down significantly, like over 30%.

I'd find a few items every time I went. Not that I always bought them, it really depended on what was there.

But this time nothing. Rather they have changed their policies on this I have no idea, or if the ever growing popularity of LEGO is just causing clearance deals to be an unnecessary action on their part.

wetwired

Hahahaha those are some goofy glasses but I gotta admit, the case is legit. I'd buy that case for my glasses for sure.

This Saturday I'm working an AM shift! Off at 3pm. We're sold out of Ghostbusters though D: Pretty sure we still have some Spaceships left, there's always a chance they could send more of either on Friday but it's never 100%, I think they usually just send little things like keychains if they send anything. We've been telling people to check back on Monday for the Ecto-1, don't know if you'll be around then though.

You're a at a LEGO store right? Do you have one of those cardboard displays for Ghostbusters? I'd love one of those

Fowler

Awesome!! I will see you there for sure, I have to pick up my girlfriend at 3pm so will definitely come before.

Well... all I can say is in the pre-LEGO movie era of my LEGO store adventures I'd find discounted stuff in this little island near the center of the store. I found some Pirate minifigs, Monster sets (yes seriously!), lots of Chima... some marked down significantly, like over 30%.

I'd find a few items every time I went. Not that I always bought them, it really depended on what was there.

But this time nothing. Rather they have changed their policies on this I have no idea, or if the ever growing popularity of LEGO is just causing clearance deals to be an unnecessary action on their part.
It must be a new deal because of the mega increase in popularity from the movie. I also used to go in and in the back corner they'd have a couple discounted sets or themes - that's how I got my Alien Conquest Tripod and a set of the (old style before they made them horrible) Pharaoh's Quest magnets. But now it's nothing. When I first started there was a space on the floor for sale items but it was all like, one kind of Hero Factory set, some Chima mats, gift bags and the standard "Classics Line" stuff like the wedding cake toppers and the picture frames. But now, unless they do like a damaged item table randomly, we tell customers 4th of July and day after Christmas for discounts and sales.

You're a at a LEGO store right? Do you have one of those cardboard displays for Ghostbusters? I'd love one of those
The only display we have is in one of the glass display boxes at the front of the store, there's a sticker of a skyline on the back glass and then there's a small little cardboard wedge ramp that the Ecto-1 sits on, and the minifigs are all on their display base atop a clear plastic stand. Is there something bigger that I don't know about but will now become very upset we don't have?

Awesome!! I will see you there for sure, I have to pick up my girlfriend at 3pm so will definitely come before.
Aw yeah! Cool! I think I've only ever met one other GAFfer in real life before, totally random happenstance too.

So they only had about 100 at Stoneridge on Sunday? I was lucky to get mine then lol.

And yeah, I usually stop by Stoneridge when looking for a quick pick-up but I find that getting anything bigger is suited to me going to Valley Fair in Santa Clara or just ordering from S@H.

wetwired

The only display we have is in one of the glass display boxes at the front of the store, there's a sticker of a skyline on the back glass and then there's a small little cardboard wedge ramp that the Ecto-1 sits on, and the minifigs are all on their display base atop a clear plastic stand. Is there something bigger that I don't know about but will now become very upset we don't have?

Damn, I assumed it was all cardboard not stickers, I don't suppose your store has spares?

Rootbeer

Banned
So they only had about 100 at Stoneridge on Sunday? I was lucky to get mine then lol.

And yeah, I usually stop by Stoneridge when looking for a quick pick-up but I find that getting anything bigger is suited to me going to Valley Fair in Santa Clara or just ordering from S@H.

I'll have to make my way down to some of those other stores sometime... I just can't make an excuse to get that way very often.

I'll have to make my way down to some of those other stores sometime... I just can't make an excuse to get that way very often.

I live out in Dublin so Pleasanton is my local LEGO store, but for sure I can guarantee that it gets picked clean as far as the clearance stuff goes. I had better luck at Valley Fair time and time again strangely. Hillsdale's pretty decent as far as their selection goes but that's the only other one I've been to - other than Downtown Disney and Rockefeller Center in New York.

For those wondering what happened with their LEGO Movie preorders on Amazon.

The Digital Bits said:
Not done yet... some of you have been asking why your Amazon.com pre-orders for select Warner Bros, Paramount catalog, Viz Media (and other Warner-distributed) titles have been suspended. We’ve learned through industry sources that Warner Home Video and Amazon.com are in the middle of negotiations on a new contract, so pre-orders on Warner titles have been suspended until a deal is reached. Hopefully, the situation will be resolved soon.

Interesting. As of just a few minutes ago, Amazon still has my "Everything is Awesome" edition of the movie shipping out on the 17th.

Hope everyone else who was looking to grab the bd will be able to at this rate.

Rootbeer

Banned
They never cancelled my order either... and I really hope they don't :(

I really want that minifig. I don't own President Business' lair (and likely won't ever get around to buying it), so it may be the only vitruvius I get

Damn, I assumed it was all cardboard not stickers, I don't suppose your store has spares?
Nope, they only sent us one. :(

Don't suppose you could contact Lego and say something like "Hey I went to my local Lego store and saw the display, would there be any way I could get or purchase one of the skyline stickers?" is there? I mean... you did create the set...

Edit: Went to K-Mart, had a $3 off $10 of toys coupon, grabbed two more Tentro Mixels and a Balk for good measure (I wanted one last Shuff but they only had Series 2). Time to finish this Kracken!

It took FIVE Tentros, but my sea monster is complete.

Left to right: Aquatic, Land Mode, and the back showing off the stinger tail

He's huge!! Towers over my minifigs. In fact I think a minifig can actuall fit in its mouth!

Or maybe this is the female of the Tentro species, hahahaha

Edit:

7848c7fc058644156e662c59565a0a53_zps4af13659.jpg

It was worth it, it's a damn nice monster. Bravo !!! :)

Thanks! When I finished the two new front legs, and rebuilt the head (which I accitentally smashed to bits while trying to fix the old jaw) I was certain it wouldn't stand, but I'm glad I was wrong! And all the joints make it super flexy to go pretty much anywhere.

Unrelated, got a question for ya WetWired. You've made the Ecto-1, the Firehouse, Spook Central and Zool's crib, even the Terror Dogs, but have you tried to MOC up a Slimer yet?

Brutal haha

I'm not massively into my star wars even though I've watched a fair few times. In my mind it's the fight which is shot almost in the dark.

Although I don't really mind. I suppose I just want the best like Luke and vader.
That would be Return of the Jedi then. You want black outfit Luke, with one black hand then.

wetwired

Unrelated, got a question for ya WetWired. You've made the Ecto-1, the Firehouse, Spook Central and Zool's crib, even the Terror Dogs, but have you tried to MOC up a Slimer yet?

Love the octoboss

Not really, I'd want it to be minifig scale which I think is impossible to pull off without a new mould

That would be Return of the Jedi then. You want black outfit Luke, with one black hand then.

There seems to be so many of them. I do like the look of the Luke that is in the Ewok Village. 10236. Does he fight Vader in that outfit?

Yeah, and for Vader I heard good things about the latest Vader from this wave's ISD (75055), the one with leg printing :
aycAtvG.jpg

(sorry for the crappy image quality)

That is a great looking vader with the leg print. I'll definitely pick that one up but might be expensive on bricklink.

I ordered the minifigure history book so I also have a stormtrooper to add to the cinema. For some reason though I feel like they should always be two of them walking side by side haha

Zerojul

That is a great looking vader with the leg print. I'll definitely pick that one up but might be expensive on bricklink.

AFAIK it's not even on bricklink yet (the ISD set is on it but none of the loose minifigs) but I guess it will start to show up soon.
As for the Ewok Village version of Luke, that's what I would go with for this particular scene, too. I think the only officially labelled "Death Star II" Luke is a really old one (yellow skin).

In other news just got my custom Ghostbusters arms from NACM customs :)

The crappy cellphone pic don't do them justice at all. I think it's a really good job they did here.

Top Bottom