• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

mrkgoo

First day of the Strathpine Lego show, I'm shattered, I did pick up the Curiosity Rover for AUD$43 (discount for being an exhibitor) and one the Friends Sunrise Ranch in the members raffle (I was really wanting the tower of orthanic or ewok village but I can't complain).

strathpine%20haul.jpg

My daughter has an operation on Tuesday so iit will be a nice gift for he when she gets out.

All the best for the op!

In other news, in understand there were some images of the next wave of minifigs around? Did we see many unveiled?

krae_man

Just bought 20 Simpsons blind bags. Wish me luck.

I'm getting 15 Homers Aren't I? I tried feeling up the bags but none of them felt different

Ryuuroden

Just built Spaceship Spaceship Spaceship. That thing has so many weapons its practically obscene and I LOVE IT :D

might do all of series 1 and 2 mixels tonight as well as go back in time backstock and build my 2 helms deep sets into 1 large Helm's Deep. I haven't even built the original set yet but it was always in the plans to combine 2 of them. Same with my 2 Orthancs. I think with Orthanc I will keep the open back just make it start wider at the bottom and go a lot taller. It still won't be even close to minifig scale, lolololol, but I think I can make it look more awesome and mind blowing. I haven't opened either of the Orthancs yet and have not decided if I will build the official version and then start modifying it or If I will just open both boxes and start modding it right away from scratch. I am leaning toward building the official first and then going all out on it just so I can get an idea of the methods and techniques to achieve what I want to achieve. I am just hoping I can do it with the 2 sets I have plus all my existing parts for moc building. If I have to, Ill bricklink more because I am not going to buy a 3rd one when I already have so many lego bricks to work with as is. That's how I usually work when I modify official sets, I may get 2 of the sets but it's rare I get more unless every part in it is really useful for other things. The sets I have gotten more than 2 of mostly are in the Creator and Modular lines, although now both lines are pretty much the same line. (5 Grand Emporiums, 3 Pet Shops, 3 Town Halls, 5 Family Houses, etc)

Best wishes for your daughter.

My Ecto-1 was just delivered! I know what i'm doing this weekend.

Finished mine off this afternoon and it is superb.

All I could want now would be more info from Wetwired on how much of the process he was privy to, how different is the build for retail when next to his version and lastly are you allowed to talk about much now, later or is the NDA water tight?

krae_man

Okay that was a waste. The figures were all over the place for in the store. From my 20 bags I got:

4 marge
4 Maggie
3 Itchy
3 Nelson
2 Grandpa
1 Lisa
1 Homer
1 Wiggum
1 Mr Burns

I was hoping for at least 12 unique.

Okay that was a waste. The figures were all over the place for in the store. From my 20 bags I got:

4 marge
4 Maggie
3 Itchy
3 Nelson
2 Grandpa
1 Lisa
1 Homer
1 Wiggum
1 Mr Burns

I was hoping for at least 12 unique.
I find that feeling accessories is much easier. For Homer I feel for the remote and donut. Marge is easy with her hair.

krae_man

I think the entire store was raided. Any figure with something unique eg Bart's skateboard was removed. That and a lot of the packages had tons of air so it was hard to even feel anything.

Rootbeer

Banned
4 Marge? I know your pain...
On my first Simpsons find the store was already mostly sold out, I could only get a few bags. I think I got 3 marge that time.

Moving in a month and I'm slowly clearing out my place. Going to start disassembling a few sets tonight.

I have a black and yellow mech I wanna show but it needs more black pieces till it's done. My disassembling should help with that.

Just finished the Sydney Opera House. Fun build. Now I've done the Opera House and Tower Bridge from that series. Might have to try and find the Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal but they cost a lot more.

20140607_200207_zps5f9dfb78.jpg

redhairedking

First day of the Strathpine Lego show, I'm shattered, I did pick up the Curiosity Rover for AUD$43 (discount for being an exhibitor) and one the Friends Sunrise Ranch in the members raffle (I was really wanting the tower of orthanic or ewok village but I can't complain).

strathpine%20haul.jpg

My daughter has an operation on Tuesday so iit will be a nice gift for he when she gets out.

I hope everything goes okay with your daughter's operation.

Fowler

Hey WordAssassin, I got sick and couldn't go to the Glendale LEGO Store, but really hoping to go tomorrow morning! Hope you're working then...

Rootbeer

Banned
Sean Long (youtube toy reviewer) showed off a copy of the Everything is Awesome edition Blu-Ray he was sent for a future review. It's so close to happening!

fucking Jang.... another incredible MOC by him! Mindblowing really...

How in the hell does he make the TIME to do all this AND review like EVERY set out there AND eat, sleep etc.? I just don't get it :(

AND afford it all.

welp, he could just be filthy rich and that's that but to fit that much time into these projects and sideprojects etc. that just blows my mind...

He works in software development, also he says in a number of his reviews that his wife helps build some of them. It's not clear just how big she is into LEGO, maybe she helps finance the collection as well.

Sean Long (youtube toy reviewer) showed off a copy of the Everything is Awesome edition Blu-Ray he was sent for a future review. It's so close to happening!
I just wanna know if all the special features from the Everything is Awesome edition are on the regular Blu. I know the 3D version is exclusive to the EIA edition, but the behind the scenes stuff is what I am curious about.

I can live without getting the figure, because all the prices I have seen for the EIA edition are so much higher than the regular blu and the figure is not enough to sway me. But hopefully Target or Best Buy have the EIA edition for only a few bucks more and not the $10-20 extra I have seen.

Rhaegar

But hopefully Target or Best Buy have the EIA edition for only a few bucks more and not the $10-20 extra I have seen.

Seems like that hefty price differential will probably continue. Best Buy's ad for next week leaked on another site today and the regular blu/uv/dvd version is going to be $17.99 while the EIA edition with minifig will be $34.99.

Hard to justify that extra cost.

Seems like that hefty price differential will probably continue. Best Buy's ad for next week leaked on another site today and the regular blu/uv/dvd version is going to be $17.99 while the EIA edition with minifig will be $34.99.

Yikes. Yeah, that is a steep increase. I really want the special features about the LEGO designers and behind the scenes of the movie. If those are only on the EIA edition, then the figure is just a cherry on top. But if the cost increase is only for the figure and the 3D version, then I will go for the regular Blu instead.

It has been VERY difficult these past couple of weeks not to buy the movie on iTunes. Every time I fire up the AppleTV, it is sitting there on the home screen and taunting me.

Rhaegar

It has been VERY difficult these past couple of weeks not to buy the movie on iTunes. Every time I fire up the AppleTV, it is sitting there on the home screen and taunting me.

I've had that same exact temptation, which has only been compounded by the fact I never had the chance to see it in theaters!

Scouring a bunch of DVD sites shows that all special features should be the same on the blu ray editions, with the EIA edition getting the figure and 3D versions as the exclusives. And the Emmett packaging. The "Meet the LEGO Designers" feature is on all blu ray editions, but not the DVD version.

At least that is all I can tell. In other words, standard blu for me.

Rootbeer

Banned
anyone know if Target is selling ultra agents yet? I went earlier this week and nothing but an empty box of new mixels.

When I last checked on Thursday... no. I usually can't make time to check around on Fri, Sat or Sundays anywhere that sells LEGO. But I think Saturdays are a good day for toy shipments to various stores. They should be showing up any time.

Meanwhile, both Toys R Us and LEGO Retail stores have them if those are options for you.

No Ultra Agents at Target around here either. Only seen them at TRU and LEGO stores.

Target is really spotty with stocking stuff here. And the Wal Mart here is even worse. It doesn't help that the Wal Mart has been under renovation for about six months or so, and the location of departments keeps changing every two weeks or so as they keep changing things in the store. The other day they had the LEGO stuff spread across three aisles. There was no rhyme or reason to how it was laid out.

He works in software development, also he says in a number of his reviews that his wife helps build some of them. It's not clear just how big she is into LEGO, maybe she helps finance the collection as well.

Hmmm that his wife builds some of em explains away SOME of the magic but then he's got a job so i still don't see how it can all come together timewise... Personally, i'd need an ARMY of wives to build all that he builds...

wait that didn't come over right did it? ;)

ghostmind

I posted this a while back, but since questions of the JANG have come up, I figured this would be a good time for a repost.

JANGBRiCKs (and Ultimate RC Network) IS his job. He does this for a living now. He is living the dream.

As to the history of the JANG, I will let him speak for himself on that:

JANG said:
From 1993 to 2009 I developed & designed user interfaces for software and, after the Internet came around, web-based sites & applications. I slid up & down the gradient that runs from server-side coding to visual design, learning the languages of different disciplines and proliferating empathy for end users.

In '09 I took a dramatic (but not blind) step off an entire industry's cliff to solely pursue an undying adolescent dream of working with toys -- kids' toys. I expanded my long-standing UltimateRC.com radio-controlled car/truck forum community brand to a vast YouTube audience with independent product reviews and instructional. Separately, building on pockets of past experience and enthusiasm that began in earliest Reagan years, I delved head first into the LEGO building blog & video viewership through, again, product reviews and unique custom builds, now centralized at JANGBRiCKS.com .

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah Target isn't great at getting the sets on shelves as fast as LEGO or TRU. They usually don't lag too far behind, but for Agents they definitely have been slow. If the street date is June 1st then they should be at many stores by now, but apparently not.

I do like Target and they have their own advantages. For one, clearance deals a few times per year, so you have to keep your eyes and ears open regarding that. For two, polybags, they get a good selection of exclusive (or re-release) polys every year. Third, CMFs... i've been able to get my hands on some CMFs at Target before they hit LEGO retail more than once. Lastly, exclusive sets to their store, though usually these aren't too exciting and you can find them at LEGO stores anyway.

Yikes. Yeah, that is a steep increase. I really want the special features about the LEGO designers and behind the scenes of the movie. If those are only on the EIA edition, then the figure is just a cherry on top. But if the cost increase is only for the figure and the 3D version, then I will go for the regular Blu instead.

Oh man, I'm paying about $15 more for the minifig. Ugh. I figure it will cost at least that much in the aftermarket. If I cared about the 3D version, I wouldn't feel badly getting that version.

I posted this a while back, but since questions of the JANG have come up, I figured this would be a good time for a repost.

JANGBRiCKs (and Ultimate RC Network) IS his job. He does this for a living now. He is living the dream.

As to the history of the JANG, I will let him speak for himself on that:

That's awesome! There's a lot of competition in the LEGO review field. This is truly a golden age for LEGO.

So I built the Sea Cow this week:

It took two of us six hours to build because there's only a single 267 page manual so we couldn't divide building duties. It looks pretty cool though and I'm happy with all the minifigs and the double decker couch.

Also, I went to BrisBrick today and saw all of WetWired's cool Ghostbusters work in person. The Ghostbuster's HQ, the original Ecto-1, the StayPuff Marshmellow Man and the gargoyle building. It was really quite something.

wetwired

So I built the Sea Cow this week:

It took two of us six hours to build because there's only a single 267 page manual so we couldn't divide building duties. It looks pretty cool though and I'm happy with all the minifigs and the double decker couch.

Also, I went to BrisBrick today and saw all of WetWired's cool Ghostbusters work in person. The Ghostbuster's HQ, the original Ecto-1, the StayPuff Marshmellow Man and the gargoyle building. It was really quite something.

You should have come and said hello!

So, I found 5771 at retail today. I wonder if it's worth buying. This store never ever lowers prices so there's plenty of oldish stuff there, like Fire Brigade, VW Camper, R2-D2, Quinjet...

Well, they must be lowering prices at some point because they had PotC stuff until recently and also an Alien Mothership, but I never seem to catch them.

They had all the new stuff for the summer, but with prices as they are... I'm quite interested in the Ninjago temple and the Bike Shop, but not at retail prices.

Hey WordAssassin, I got sick and couldn't go to the Glendale LEGO Store, but really hoping to go tomorrow morning! Hope you're working then...

Ah shoot, sorry to hear that! I actually work a closing shift today, I go in at 4. Blargh!

So, I found 5771 at retail today. I wonder if it's worth buying. This store never ever lowers prices so there's plenty of oldish stuff there, like Fire Brigade, VW Camper, R2-D2, Quinjet...

Well, they must be lowering prices at some point because they had PotC stuff until recently and also an Alien Mothership, but I never seem to catch them.

They had all the new stuff for the summer, but with prices as they are... I'm quite interested in the Ninjago temple and the Bike Shop, but not at retail prices.

There's a store near you that still has Fire Brigade?!

...how much are they asking for it, and where are you located?

There's a store near you that still has Fire Brigade?!

...how much are they asking for it, and where are you located?

They're asking $250, which is the original MSRP here. I think they have two or three of them, in fairly worn boxes. I've thought about buying a second one as an investment, but I kind of doubt it'll ever get that valuable. MS, CC and GG got expensive because people didn't realize that this was going to be a collectible thing. Now everyone had plenty of time to hoard brigades. There's a BL guy in Hong Kong who apparently has over a thousand of them.

And I'm in northern Sweden so it's probably pretty far for you to travel :D

Edit: Although, if you limit the search to Europe it's actually a little bit cheaper than the rest there. Hmmm. If this place ever had sales, I'd snatch them up. But since I'm almost never there, I'd probably miss it anyway.

Put together the Nova ship set together, it's a pretty nice little set, I like the Nova Corps ship the most and it has a nice assortment of minifigs.

Ryuuroden

finished putting together Helms Deep. It is a much nicer playset than I expected. I would of totally digged having this set as a kid and then building and adding onto it fortress wise. I will definitely be making it bigger and I have lots of ideas for it. I will use pieces from my Moria set as well as other lotr sets I have that I didn't deem display worthy enough to make this one a awesome display piece.

Ponn

Banned
Went to Walmart today to get some cat food and people food and toilet paper. I was floored to find some Mixels there so I got the Fang Gang completing my Wave 2 collection.

I also got some back pay from when I was out with my head injury and I couldn't fight it anymore and bought the Knowhere Escape and Starblaster sets so I will have all the GoTG sets now.

I also got an interesting none Lego set I just had to get that was a surprise release.

OwZNetg.jpg

It's unfortunately a ToysRus exclusive and surprised even the Transformers community barely a couple weeks ago as a stealth release. Its been selling out quick so if you spot it get it. They have it right now for $25 and its over 300 pieces with 5 Kreons including the G1 Grimlock with crown and flame sword. I haven't put it together yet but will post pics as soon as I do. It's been reviewing really well and all 300 some pieces are used for Grimlock only, no stupid accessories and he supposedly is sturdy and has some weight. Size comparison puts him same size as Masterpiece Grimlock.

finished putting together Helms Deep. It is a much nicer playset than I expected. I would of totally digged having this set as a kid and then building and adding onto it fortress wise. I will definitely be making it bigger and I have lots of ideas for it. I will use pieces from my Moria set as well as other lotr sets I have that I didn't deem display worthy enough to make this one a awesome display piece.

It is so awesome, best LoTR set. Looks awesome on display but unfortunately takes up a huge footprint. The Urak Hai army add on wall set took a big jump in price so I hope you got at least one of them.

Top Bottom