• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

They've changed it a lot, they've kept the core design techniques but changed how they did them. So for example the side built windows, I did the same but I connected mine with hinged plates, which was actually quite parts intensive and intruded onto the interior space a lot (hence why there is no interior on mine)

Marcos' solution was much more elegant and actually fit perfectly at the right angle with the use of the cheese slopes underneath, mine had to be manually aligned and was prone to being bumped.

It was all very much "same but different" though, visually there's some very similar results, just gone about in different ways either internally (better strength) or different pieces. The fins for example are a lot different on theirs but a lot stronger and better connected to the sides. Their front windscreen is steeper than mine (which was more due to the pieces available to me more than anything)

They've added some details too though, like the aerial, windscreen wipers etc which I didn't have. I could go on forever (maybe I should do a video on the differences?)

If that is allowed, it would be great to see.

I would love to see that video.

Thank you for your work on this. The instruction booklet is nice. I know people don't like the binding but I think this style of booklet make the set more sophisticated looking and less like kid toys. I wish all the instructions are this way with nice little bits of information sprinkle in.
I'm still waiting for my set from S@H but I hear the booklet pages tend to fall out? Is this happening to people?

This weekend was Phoenix Comic-Con. A local Lego group set up a huge diorama every year and this year's was their biggest one yet.

Here's a couple pics of their setup
DSC03409.jpg by gsr_jedi, on Flickr - I like the way they did the Flash running

I have more on my Flickr page if anybody wants to see

One of the vendors there was selling a Quinjet for retail so I jumped on it. You guys were so right, that ship is fantastic! So glad I picked it up

The flash setup is awesome!

V1zg6Sx.jpg

Haha...not sure if it's a parody or homage. To the person asking earlier if it's a custom, I think it's CGI minifig. EDIT: Zulithe confirmed it's CGI.

MjFrancis

I haven't seen this set anywhere just yet, but I'm buying it as soon as I can get my hands on it.

I've been seeing the new X-Men and Guardians of the Galaxy stuff everywhere but this hasn't popped up on my radar yet. I have three copies of the Fire Temple (all bought sans minifigs) and when I got the Temple of Light I sold off most of the minifigs and I believe I broke even on that build doing that. I'll try to do the same with my purchase of Ninjago City when I find it. I'll keep the Nya Samurai (which is probably the money figure, argh) but sell off the mech and the other seven figures to bring the cost of it down a bit. Maybe down the road I'll see if there's Ebay sellers dumping the building itself so I can just buy that part of it loose for more pieces.

I'll have enough pieces to make a bad LEGO stop-motion kung fu movie, lol.

Got a bunch of 80 cent bins to prep disassembling my sets for moving. The one that's going to numb me out disassembling is unexpected gathering. It may be the only set I have out once I move in with my fiancé till we get a bigger place. Should I ziplock the parts together if I plan to rebuild it later?

Hi all. This just dropped nationwide and I really want one after building silver mine shoot out. If anyone comes across one if pay cost plus shipping or offer something in trade.

kapowza

OMG Orthanc is huge !!!
Any rumour of it going OOP ? I wouldn't want to miss it but it's expensive and I need to catch up on the older modulars first...

yeah it's massive, the detailing on the inside is really cool as well. I haven't heard anything about it going out of print but I don't pay all that much attention.

Hi all. This just dropped nationwide and I really want one after building silver mine shoot out. If anyone comes across one if pay cost plus shipping or offer something in trade.

DAMN! It's a lovely set and I've seen it at the Glendale TRU the last few times I've been but I just looked online and all TRUs in my area are sold out. I don't even have space for a train set but I would have totally bought one at that price just to have for the future. Thanks for the head's up, good luck finding one!

Ainaurdur

Just placed an order on Amazon for 2 Black Gate sets (Want that complete appearance!) and one Council set.
Total after tax came just under $120.

I am excited. Going to stretch out getting the Corsair and Orthanc sets over the next few months.

DAMN! It's a lovely set and I've seen it at the Glendale TRU the last few times I've been but I just looked online and all TRUs in my area are sold out. I don't even have space for a train set but I would have totally bought one at that price just to have for the future. Thanks for the head's up, good luck finding one!
You might still check if you're in the area as it's sometimes wrong.

Got a bunch of 80 cent bins to prep disassembling my sets for moving. The one that's going to numb me out disassembling is unexpected gathering. It may be the only set I have out once I move in with my fiancé till we get a bigger place. Should I ziplock the parts together if I plan to rebuild it later?

Definitely. Don't ask Dr. Forrester though, he may say mix all the sets together.

That is what I have done with what I want to rebuild after moving. I disassemble and sort into lil bins, and then bag the pieces from each bin for rebuilding later. That way I just dump each bag out and I am already organized and ready to go.

Unless you take Dr. Forester's madman route and mix the bags. Then just dump all the pieces together and go.

Went to the Lego store in Pleasanton, CA and overheard the two employees talking about the Ecto-1 set. One guy asked the manager to make sure the limit was still one per customer and also asked how many were left in the back. Manager said yes to the limit and said there were only about 10 left in the back (there were two on the shelves).

I picked up a Grand Emporium before heading out. Nothing additional to really report other than all the Ultra Agents sets were there. I didn't see any Simpsons figures either.

Went to the Lego store in Pleasanton, CA and overheard the two employees talking about the Ecto-1 set. One guy asked the manager to make sure the limit was still one per customer and also asked how many were left in the back. Manager said yes to the limit and said there were only about 10 left in the back (there were two on the shelves).

I picked up a Grand Emporium before heading out. Nothing additional to really report other than all the Ultra Agents sets were there. I didn't see any Simpsons figures either.

I stopped by yesterday to see if any new Simpson figs came back in. Nothing came in. That's two weeks in a row no new Simpsons shipments. I don't think they are completely gone yet. I guess LEGO may be doing an inventory and allocation check.

Checking on 3rd party sellers on eBay and Bricklink, prices haven't skyrocketed. They are close to or below MSRP (below if you don't get accessories). I think prices won't go up until it's known that LEGO is completely sold out.

wetwired

I took some video of the displays at this past weekend's expo where my stuff was on display, this is part 1 concentrating on just licensed stuff, Ghostbusters, Star Wars, LOTR, Indiana Jones etc

Part 1

I should have Part 2 done tonight (there was a lot of stuff)

I took some video of the displays at this past weekend's expo where my stuff was on display, this is part 1 concentrating on just licensed stuff, Ghostbusters, Star Wars, LOTR, Indiana Jones etc

Part 1

I should have Part 2 done tonight (there was a lot of stuff)

Awesome logo paying respect to classic space. You latest creation came out great using those Wargs. Are those streams crossing? I need to file a hair piece like you did, it looks so much better for Venkman.

Cube builds were interesting. I hope to make it to a LEGO convention someday.

wetwired

Awesome logo paying respect to classic space. You latest creation came out great using those Wargs. Are those streams crossing? I need to file a hair piece like you did, it looks so much better for Venkman.

Cube builds were interesting. I hope to make it to a LEGO convention someday.

Yup, crossing the streams :)

Yeah the wargs look a little dodgy up close but they worked for the most part. I'm going to dismantle that model though for the next show, I wasn't really happy with it

Definitely. Don't ask Dr. Forrester though, he may say mix all the sets together.

That is what I have done with what I want to rebuild after moving. I disassemble and sort into lil bins, and then bag the pieces from each bin for rebuilding later. That way I just dump each bag out and I am already organized and ready to go.

Unless you take Dr. Forester's madman route and mix the bags. Then just dump all the pieces together and go.

cool, glad for the input. I'll be disassembling sets in a few minutes.

Micro review: 70162: Infearno Interception

http://brickset.com/sets/70162-1/Infearno-Interception
70162-1.jpg

Awesome!

I noticed the plastic on the megaphone was a dull red. It was more like the plastic they use for dynamite where there is no shine. I don't have other ones handy to see if they also don't have a shine, but I wouldn't expect non-brick type plastic on that part.

Also, the 1x1 trans orange round brick seemed dull too. It wasn't quite as bad as some clone trans bricks I've seen, but it was definitely not as shiny as other trans parts.

I'm interested if anyone else saw this or am I just imagining things.

Biggest highlight of the set is Infearno. I wish he was in the cheapest set so I could buy an army of that minifig. The red armor and trans orange flame "helmet" are great and I'm sure they will be very useful. If we never get an official Silver Surfer minifig, I will just use this minifig it's so awesome.

The build was very interesting. I liked how the front wheels were done. I won't be vrooming the car around though as I don't like to scuff up my parts. There's a lot of technic pieces, and some parts I think are new or rarely used. I'll check Brickset.com.

Yes, this part is new. I'm not sure how useful it will be.
http://brickset.com/parts/6066952
6066952.jpg

This is also new. Spoiler shaft.
http://brickset.com/parts/design-98834
6058966.jpg

This is a weird part, but apparently it's been around awhile.
4143187.jpg

LEGO Batman would like the parts in this set as there are plenty of nice black and grey elements. There's also an abundance of Tron trans blue parts which many aren't noticeable in the images as they are 1x1 or 1x2 used to detail the car throughout. I really like the greeble throughout the build.

It has a cool hover mode much like the Nick Fury's hover car in the Spider-Man: Spider-Cycle Chase set.

One thing I didn't like so much is the blunt front end. It uses the canopy in a reverse position and does it in a cool way, but the resulting front end isn't very cool looking. Very minor as it's not very visible.

I'm glad I didn't wait for a 20-30% sale on this set. I'll grab a few more if it ever hits 30+% off.

EDIT: Spoiler shaft was used in 1 Cars set so it's not that new.

DemiMatt

So . . . I bought the Sandcrawler during May The 4th . . . . it's been sitting it in's box since, and it will continue for another month until I move. I'm wondering if it's worth keeping (for those who've opened it and built it). Or should I put the money towards the modular houses? We have like half the houses, but this could buy a couple more . . . so I'm curious . . .

wetwired

Benny's spaceship arrived today from Amazon. I left work early to go pick it up (a friend ordered 2 and we bulked up to save postage).

On the bus now with it sitting on my lap, the dirty bitch, just wait till I get you home, the things I'll do to you.

Benny's spaceship arrived today from Amazon. I left work early to go pick it up (a friend ordered 2 and we bulked up to save postage).

On the bus now with it sitting on my lap, the dirty bitch, just wait till I get you home, the things I'll do to you.

Ewwwww! That's one play feature they never showed in the LEGO videos.

ghostmind

I find it odd that the Series 2 Mixels are all "Sold Out" on S@H, without an expected restock date. Were they ever available on S@H, or did LEGO underestimate the demand for this second wave?

I find it odd that the Series 2 Mixels are all "Sold Out" on S@H, without an expected restock date. Were they ever available on S@H, or did LEGO underestimate the demand for this second wave?

They were available for about 2 days or so.

I managed to pick up Slumbo, Lunk, and Tentro at Target the other day. There were only about 6 series 2 bags left, stuck in a series 1 box of mostly red guys.

Jimbro72

They were definitely in stock but an extremely short time. I placed an order for the whole series later in the day on June 1st while still showing as in stock. Later that week my other items showed up but with no mixels in the box and the packing slip showing those as being back orderd, which was news to me as regards to my order. But the next day another box showed up with my set of them so I don't know what the heck was going on with that. So they did have them at the start of the month.

ghostmind

The exclusive minifig for the upcoming Legends of Chima Encyclopedia has been revealed.

SgiBXhD.jpg

Firox from the Phoenix tribe. The book releases August 4th.

Lord Business' Evil Lair is coming up as triple VIP points. Saw on another forum that this is good until the end of June. Does anyone know if other sets are coming up triple VIP?

I finished Spaceship^3... and what a set! It's even a bit unfair getting this at the same time as Ecto-1. I mean, Ecto-1 is awesome but this ship might be one of the best sets ever! So much detail going into it. The wing extension feature is flawless. And as someone who was in time to get at least a few of the blue/gray Classic Space sets, this is marvellous.

I even went and built a display stand for it. Since I'm not a Star Wars guy I haven't needed to do that before, but this requires one. I've managed to get a decent angle to it, but I'm a little afraid of it collapsing. It feels sturdy enough but this is also a huge ship. I guess I'll place it on a soft surface and if it hasn't collapsed when I get back home tomorrow, it's safe.

0Tkd4Hm.jpg

You Lego engineers out there, is this safe? I'd think that the masts can take a bit of weight and there's a combined (pinned together) total of 32 studs holding the things to the baseplate.

Also, I got the Baxter robot mostly for pieces and to complete my turtles, but it looks much better in person than in pictures. I might use it as a base for some custom robot.

Top Bottom