• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

I also got an interesting none Lego set I just had to get that was a surprise release.

OwZNetg.jpg

It's unfortunately a ToysRus exclusive and surprised even the Transformers community barely a couple weeks ago as a stealth release. Its been selling out quick so if you spot it get it. They have it right now for $25 and its over 300 pieces with 5 Kreons including the G1 Grimlock with crown and flame sword. I haven't put it together yet but will post pics as soon as I do. It's been reviewing really well and all 300 some pieces are used for Grimlock only, no stupid accessories and he supposedly is sturdy and has some weight. Size comparison puts him same size as Masterpiece Grimlock.

OH MAN I WANT THAT

I'm gonna have to hit all the local TRUs for this tomorrow. Only $25 bucks? Awesome. I just tried to buy it online but they only have the shitty movie version.

Ponn

Banned
OH MAN I WANT THAT

I'm gonna have to hit all the local TRUs for this tomorrow. Only $25 bucks? Awesome. I just tried to buy it online but they only have the shitty movie version.

Actually it is online but its tricky. There is the Grimlock Street Attack set and then this one. This one is 24.99 and labeled Toys R Exclusive Grimlock set or something like that BUT they used the image from the Street Attack set for the pic for some strange reason.

This one is the right one, they just used the Street Attack picture. People verified the stock number is the same as the one in store, same price. I can't verify personally so if you want to pick it up in store to be safe go ahead. You have to get $50 to get free shipping anyways.

Ryuuroden

It is so awesome, best LoTR set. Looks awesome on display but unfortunately takes up a huge footprint. The Urak Hai army add on wall set took a big jump in price so I hope you got at least one of them.

Yeah luckily I picked up 2 helms deeps and 2 urak hai armies over a year ago. Now I kind of wished I picked up another. Mainly I wish they came with more generic rohirrem military units to man the walls or make the charge. Guess I will have to check bl for soldiers for the display. Hopefully I can find them around 5 dollars each. I bet they go for more though.

Actually it is online but its tricky. There is the Grimlock Street Attack set and then this one. This one is 24.99 and labeled Toys R Exclusive Grimlock set or something like that BUT they used the image from the Street Attack set for the pic for some strange reason.

This one is the right one, they just used the Street Attack picture. People verified the stock number is the same as the one in store, same price. I can't verify personally so if you want to pick it up in store to be safe go ahead. You have to get $50 to get free shipping anyways.
AWESOME. Sadly I can't do store pick up since I have to work right now and they'll be closed when I get off, but it says it's in stock at all 3 TRUs in my area so getting it tomorrow shouldn't be a problem. Thank you!!

Thank you, China!

Anyone gonna get this?

I'm not the biggest FF4 fan but... isn't he a bit too large? I still like it though.

Already ordered it ;) Just waiting for the shipment to arrive!

EDIT: I also grabbed the new wolverine and phoenix minifigs from china. They also have pretty good Dragon Ball Z minifigs if that's your thing. It's not mine but I may grab them anyway for the novelty. Also found a minifig style red hulk.

VXfdXzgl.jpg

So I am not sure what is going on with this Jedi Interceptor set. This item had disappeared from all the stores in my area and TRU doesn't even have a spot for it any more. My local LEGO store doesn't carry it and I have not seen it at Fred Myers, Target and Walmart. I found this one at TRU and look like it was a return.

Ponn

Banned
Already ordered it ;) Just waiting for the shipment to arrive!

EDIT: I also grabbed the new wolverine and phoenix minifigs from china. They also have pretty good Dragon Ball Z minifigs if that's your thing. It's not mine but I may grab them anyway for the novelty. Also found a minifig style red hulk.

I don't like how they group the figs together in sets, like the Hulk set. Can you just buy blue tights Thing?

I also got an interesting none Lego set I just had to get that was a surprise release.

OwZNetg.jpg

It's unfortunately a ToysRus exclusive and surprised even the Transformers community barely a couple weeks ago as a stealth release. Its been selling out quick so if you spot it get it. They have it right now for $25 and its over 300 pieces with 5 Kreons including the G1 Grimlock with crown and flame sword. I haven't put it together yet but will post pics as soon as I do. It's been reviewing really well and all 300 some pieces are used for Grimlock only, no stupid accessories and he supposedly is sturdy and has some weight. Size comparison puts him same size as Masterpiece Grimlock.

Hmmm...I could be tempted by that set. Grimlock is one of my favorite characters from the 80's cartoon. If you ever find a digital version of the instructions, I'm sure someone would see if it could be built with LEGO elements.

Thank you, China!

Anyone gonna get this?

I'm not the biggest FF4 fan but... isn't he a bit too large? I still like it though.

Oooh. Crappy looking head and WTF on the different colored pants. I guess the head isn't as good because they didn't have a LEGO one to copy. Still, I do like the rest of the big fig Thing. I'll wait.

So I did a little more research on that Jedi Interceptor set and it seems people on Star Wars forum are reporting the same thing that the set just vanish from the store. Someone mention that the set is Not Carry Forward status, not sure what that mean. It is not discontinued since it's still available on S@H. (Amazon doesn't have it either only 3rd party seller with slightly mark up price). It could just be popular set during the BOGO 40% off sale last week. I just think it is odd that the set (which I remember seeing in abundance) just suddenly all sold out.

neonglow

Went to Walmart today to get some cat food and people food and toilet paper. I was floored to find some Mixels there so I got the Fang Gang completing my Wave 2 collection.

I also got some back pay from when I was out with my head injury and I couldn't fight it anymore and bought the Knowhere Escape and Starblaster sets so I will have all the GoTG sets now.

OwZNetg.jpg

It is so awesome, best LoTR set. Looks awesome on display but unfortunately takes up a huge footprint. The Urak Hai army add on wall set took a big jump in price so I hope you got at least one of them.

Thanks for the heads up. I placed an in-store pickup order. for Grimlock. It seems like a misprice since every other KRE-O Transformer set costs much more on a price per brick basis.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Oooh. Crappy looking head and WTF on the different colored pants. I guess the head isn't as good because they didn't have a LEGO one to copy. Still, I do like the rest of the big fig Thing. I'll wait.
Looks like it's copied from the game:
Not too bad considering there's no mould to match.

I also put in an order for the batch with Phoenix/Wolverine, looking forward to seeing how they look when they get here.

Rootbeer

Banned
I would like to thank Zerojul for sending me a really cool minifigure:

My TMNT collection is now complete! Err, until those July movie sets hit... I still haven't decided if I should ignore them or not :) But, it's me, so probably not.

It's a simple figure without a lot of parts, but the nice printing on the front and back really sells the character it's representing for me.

Maybe LEGO will do a Hamato Yoshi figure next?

Zerojul

I would like to thank Zerojul for sending me a really cool minifigure:
Glad you enjoy it ;)

Went to the lego store today to grab the Sopwith Camel, which the clerk confirmed was going to be discontinued real soon, for Europe at least.
And because I'm weak, I got a little Blackbird on the side because Cyclops :)

Edit : just won an auction on Ebay for the Vampyre Castle for 71€. Good day.

Kyari

Oh man, bootleggers actually made the Thing? Well now I need a Fantastic Four set of minifigs....

Also I would be mad at you for winning that but I think I lost the right to get angry about other peoples' lego wins.

Looks like it's copied from the game:

561x4011.jpg

Not too bad considering there's no mould to match.

I also put in an order for the batch with Phoenix/Wolverine, looking forward to seeing how they look when they get here.

Ah, it does look that way. This should make people appreciate the quality that goes into LEGO design. The "fake" is lacking, but it is a decent attempt. My only issue is around the head. The body looks great.

Ponn

Banned
Thanks for the heads up. I placed an in-store pickup order. for Grimlock. It seems like a misprice since every other KRE-O Transformer set costs much more on a price per brick basis.

Anything I can do to spread Grimlock love. He just wants a hug.

Yes Kreo has been way overpriced per brick from the beginning. It was ok when they were available everywhere because when they weren't flying off shelves they dropped like a rock in price. You can still get the big Optimus Prime set for around $25 now (I would suggest that one or the Starscream set for those interested). Now that they and the GI Joe Kreo lines are pretty much Toys R Exclusive sets they won't drop in price anymore. Thankfully none of the new sets interested me because they were focused on Beast Hunters and the movie now. There are a couple GI Joe sets I would like, the HISS tank one and the upcoming Terrordrome, but they are both Toysrus exclusives so that sucks.

They are missing a huge opportunity by not making more G1 sets and maybe this selling well could wake them up. Would love to see some huge Kreo sets like Metroplex, Omega Supreme or Trypticon.

For whatever reason, when I check availability for in-store pickup for that Grinlock set, both Burbank and Glendale have it... but when I check out, it says it's not eligible for in-store pickup. What the hell? Guess I'll have to just drive over there and check it out :T

For whatever reason, when I check availability for in-store pickup for that Grinlock set, both Burbank and Glendale have it... but when I check out, it says it's not eligible for in-store pickup. What the hell? Guess I'll have to just drive over there and check it out :T
Beautiful Downtown Burbank! I used to hang out there during my teen years and ride the bus across the overpass to that Toys R Us. Man that's seems like eternity but still so vivid, saving enough pool cleaning money to go buy video game.

I don't think the Kre-o are flying off the shelf at least not around here. All the TRU I went to have stack of the Grimlock G1 set.

Ohohohoho man I scored I scored I SCORED!!!!

Beautiful Downtown Burbank! I used to hang out there during my teen years and ride the bus across the overpass to that Toys R Us. Man that's seems like eternity but still so vivid, saving enough pool cleaning money to go buy video game.

I don't think the Kre-o are flying off the shelf at least not around here. All the TRU I went to have stack of the Grimlock G1 set.
Yes!! Not only did they have the Grimlock set, but they had ONE Wolverine's Chopper Showdown for $26.99!! Ahahaha I can't believe it!! I'd resigned to never finding this set or having a Deadpool minifig (it goes for $75+ on Amazon) but the Lego Gods smiled upon me this day!!

Ponn

Banned

Yes!! Not only did they have the Grimlock set, but they had ONE Wolverine's Chopper Showdown for $26.99!! Ahahaha I can't believe it!! I'd resigned to never finding this set or having a Deadpool minifig (it goes for $75+ on Amazon) but the Lego Gods smiled upon me this day!!

Congrats, it is truly a happy E3 day! My Milano was just delivered yippee! I have to get ready to go to the Sony theater conference with my friend though so no building today.

Zerojul

That's quite a deal right there, congratulations ! I can't believe how expensive this set has become in a few months. I know Deadpool is an exclusive minifig but still....

Ponn

Banned
That's quite a deal right there, congratulations ! I can't believe how expensive this set has become in a few months. I know Deadpool is an exclusive minifig but still....

More ironic that it was constantly on sale at a $15 price point for the longest time before being retired.

OMG... Well I was still in my dark ages at that point so I consider myself lucky to have it for MSRP :)

Wasn't it like $24 MSRP? I was in my dark ages too and came SO close to buying it so many times, there was a point where I think I had it in my hands at Target, and it was $21, and I was actually in line to buy it but decided not to because I was tight on cash. I've actually never seen it in stores since then, until today.

Feels even better than finding the Cosmic Cube Hawkeye set at Wondercon for $35 and talking the guy down to like $30. Yessssssss.

More ironic that it was constantly on sale at a $15 price point for the longest time before being retired.

Crap! I wish I bought 10 of them. I have 2 or 3 extra sets of it. I'm shocked that the minifig goes for $20 USD on bricklink. There is only 1 seller that sells it for the "dirt cheap" price of $11.55 USD.
The helicopter was nice, but not many reusable parts for me which is why I only get a few extras. If it had more reusable parts, I would have hoarded as many as I could afford when on sale.

OMG... Well I was still in my dark ages at that point so I consider myself lucky to have it for MSRP :)

Congrats! That is definitely a deal. Especially since you also get Wolverine which I imagine may get reissued again someday with the yellow and blue mask since they have the brown one in the new X-Men set. But knowing LEGO, they make make it an exclusive giveaway at a convention or something.

Zerojul

Wasn't it like $24 MSRP? I was in my dark ages too and came SO close to buying it so many times, there was a point where I think I had it in my hands at Target, and it was $21, and I was actually in line to buy it but decided not to because I was tight on cash. I've actually never seen it in stores since then, until today.

Feels even better than finding the Cosmic Cube Hawkeye set at Wondercon for $35 and talking the guy down to like $30. Yessssssss.

MSRP was 27€ here. Going for 100€ + on Amazon.fr. Crazy.
And that deal on the Hawkeye set is indeed awesome. I gave up all hope of finding it for a decent price in the Euro zone :(

Ironmask

So i finally got all the Decool and some Sheng Yuan minifigures from China.
What can i say, i definitely got what i paid for.... i won't whine for a while about LEGO prices, they really deserve what you pay them for the quality you get.

Of 62 minifigures i got, 5 had mispositioned printings and so they were useless (the worst was Cap America with both the shield and the head being off centre), the other 57 were ok but suffered of poor plastic quality, bad junctions and low printing quality. They really can be used only to be displayed in MOCs and such. Really better to not play with them at all or after some days you'll scratch the printings or broke the junctions.

This didn't stop me to order the next batch of minifigs (the Thing, phoenix, joker etc...)

Damn I cannot BELIEVE my luck today. Not only did I find the Wolvie Copter set earlier, but I just stopped by work to get a Mixel for the lady and for whatever reason, Lego sent us Star Slicers. They rang up for $10(!!) so I got 2. They're way too big to build all 3 so I'll probably keep one tucked away and use the other for parts and the special red bug fig.

Woo!

Ainaurdur

I had gotten dragged away from LegoGAF for a number of months, hoping somebody here can fill me in.

Is there any indication of the most recent wave of LotR sets (Orthanc, Corsair Ship, Black Gate, Council) going into retirement soon?

It has been a while since my last Lego purchase, and thinking I can finally get back into it, just want to plan my purchase order accordingly.

Thanks! Missed you guys!

neonglow

I had gotten dragged away from LegoGAF for a number of months, hoping somebody here can fill me in.

Is there any indication of the most recent wave of LotR sets (Orthanc, Corsair Ship, Black Gate, Council) going into retirement soon?

It has been a while since my last Lego purchase, and thinking I can finally get back into it, just want to plan my purchase order accordingly.

Thanks! Missed you guys!

Of those, the Council of Elrond will be first to go. It's been clearanced out at several retailers.

gsrjedi

This weekend was Phoenix Comic-Con. A local Lego group set up a huge diorama every year and this year's was their biggest one yet.

Here's a couple pics of their setup
Cactus Bricks Lego display by gsr_jedi, on Flickr

DSC03409.jpg by gsr_jedi, on Flickr - I like the way they did the Flash running

DSC03474.jpg by gsr_jedi, on Flickr - Jack the Ripper

DSC03452.jpg by gsr_jedi, on Flickr

I have more on my Flickr page if anybody wants to see

One of the vendors there was selling a Quinjet for retail so I jumped on it. You guys were so right, that ship is fantastic! So glad I picked it up

Just finished building Grimlock. Can't say I care much for Kre-o! He looks badass for sure but the pieces don't snap together, they kinda snuggly slide, so it's flimsy as hell. The ball joints are coated in rubber too, wtf? Also the Optimus figure's piece bag came with a (unused in the actual build) 2x4 red Kre-o brick, how fuckin ballsy can you be about ripping off another product? Tasteless.

The pieces are supposed to be interchangeable with Lego though which means that some lucky Minifig now has access to an Optimus Prime helmet huahaha

Edit: the new short-ear Batman cowl looks GREAT. They've gotta be switching over to that for all the future sets, right? And with the movie's release they have to make a set with that Batmobile, right?? Ah man aside from the rumored Lego Movie Batwing, I'm actually super hyped for that. Fingers crossed!!

I've heard people saying a heap of the quotes in the instructions line up perfectly with the movie while you build.

Thank you for your work on this. The instruction booklet is nice. I know people don't like the binding but I think this style of booklet make the set more sophisticated looking and less like kid toys. I wish all the instructions are this way with nice little bits of information sprinkle in.

So I am just curios about how much did LEGO change your original design? Is it just few parts to save cost? I am sure glad they realize the value of having printed parts with Ghostbusters logo. I am also surprise that they make build out figures stand for it.

wetwired

Thank you for your work on this. The instruction booklet is nice. I know people don't like the binding but I think this style of booklet make the set more sophisticated looking and less like kid toys. I wish all the instructions are this way with nice little bits of information sprinkle in.

So I am just curios about how much did LEGO change your original design? Is it just few parts to save cost? I am sure glad they realize the value of having printed parts with Ghostbusters logo. I am also surprise that they make build out figures stand for it.

They've changed it a lot, they've kept the core design techniques but changed how they did them. So for example the side built windows, I did the same but I connected mine with hinged plates, which was actually quite parts intensive and intruded onto the interior space a lot (hence why there is no interior on mine)

Marcos' solution was much more elegant and actually fit perfectly at the right angle with the use of the cheese slopes underneath, mine had to be manually aligned and was prone to being bumped.

It was all very much "same but different" though, visually there's some very similar results, just gone about in different ways either internally (better strength) or different pieces. The fins for example are a lot different on theirs but a lot stronger and better connected to the sides. Their front windscreen is steeper than mine (which was more due to the pieces available to me more than anything)

They've added some details too though, like the aerial, windscreen wipers etc which I didn't have. I could go on forever (maybe I should do a video on the differences?)

Top Bottom