• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

I put on the first sticker crooked for the windscreen on the mini ships and then I was just like ....nope. There are still 3 of the space logos printed on the bricks so I think it looks far better sticker less. Most of them look tacky to me.
Windex or mild soapy water works wonders in decal application. It allows you to center sticker before it adheres and prevents bubbling and creasing.

ghostmind

Windex or mild soapy water works wonders in decal application. It allows you to center sticker before it adheres and prevents bubbling and creasing.

I should have done that for mine - I really botched the application of the sticker that goes on the clear panel in front of the engine core.

wetwired

Ok I've been dying for this, Marcos did a black version (before it was Ecto-1 from the movie) which I saw briefly on a blurry skype call when I first found out about Ghostbsuters becoming a set, I've wanted him to show it off for ages and he's finally been allowed...

(Ghostbusters) 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor by marcosbessa, on Flickr

I actually tried recreating it based on memory before he released the photos

black.jpg

Close, but I want to adapt his roofline detail and make it entirely black as it looked really sexy before I put the grey on to simulate the patched bodywork

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Do TLG offer replacement sticker sheets I wonder?

Ive never had to ask myself, but i imagine especially with youngsters the stickers can go through a lot of adjusting before they're placed correctly. A lot of sticker sheets are exclusive entirely to that set- id be surprised if they didnt replace or sell new sheets from their customer service.

Ok I've been dying for this, Marcos did a black version (before it was Ecto-1 from the movie) which I saw briefly on a blurry skype call when I first found out about Ghostbsuters becoming a set, I've wanted him to show it off for ages and he's finally been allowed...

That's awesome!

Can you talk a little about the process once you knew your project had been selected? Did you immediately know that MB was the chosen designer? Were there any techniques or approaches that he wanted to discuss, or was it more of a "congratulations you won!" type of thing?

Do TLG offer replacement sticker sheets I wonder?

Ive never had to ask myself, but i imagine especially with youngsters the stickers can go through a lot of adjusting before they're placed correctly. A lot of sticker sheets are exclusive entirely to that set- id be surprised if they didnt replace or sell new sheets from their customer service.

I think the only set they don't offer replacement sticker sheets for is the VW Camper Van.

wetwired

That's awesome!

Can you talk a little about the process once you knew your project had been selected? Did you immediately know that MB was the chosen designer? Were there any techniques or approaches that he wanted to discuss, or was it more of a "congratulations you won!" type of thing?

I found out during that first skype call (2-3 days after the announcement) that MB was designing. By that point the design was pretty much finalised.

Though after it reached 10000 votes, months before LEGO did ask for photos of my version of how it was constructed to try and figure out how I'd done it. I didn't think much of it at the time, I thought it was part of the process and I only just remembered about it now that you asked.

I found out during that first skype call (2-3 days after the announcement) that MB was designing. By that point the design was pretty much finalised.

Though after it reached 10000 votes, months before LEGO did ask for photos of my version of how it was constructed to try and figure out how I'd done it. I didn't think much of it at the time, I thought it was part of the process and I only just remembered about it now that you asked.

Oh wow! So you actually provided supporting documentation well prior to the decision. I'd be really curious if other (ultimately not-selected) 10,000 vote creators were similarly approached.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

Tell us MOAR!

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I started building Parisian Restaurant today.

Ive only finished the first set of bags but already its looking spectacularly awesome. Hoping to have it all done tomorrow and with the others.

Ponn

Banned
Thank LEGO and Marcos Bessa for that, they really knocked it out of the park this time

Did you originally have the windows build like that or was that Bessa? Reminded me alot of the windows in Arkham Asylum and wondering if thats just a Bessa thing now.

jpatez34

Neo Member
That's awesome!

I think the only set they don't offer replacement sticker sheets for is the VW Camper Van.

They also don't replace Star Wars either.

Rootbeer

Banned
I got my minifigures online invite the other day, but been too busy. I have to go visit a friend in the hospital later today, and later go to the movies. I might have time to check it out this evening.

I received word that LEGO retail stores will be decorating their stores to celebrate TMNT for July. They will also add parts to the Pick-a-Brick wall that go with TMNT (I imagine this is similar to signs we already see telling people that a particular part goes great with Star Wars, City, etc.)

*edit*
Okay, I don't have time to play at the moment but I started installing the game. Hope I can fool around with it later.

Probably expected, but Traveller's Tales have confirmed there'll be an exclusive minifigure with Lego Batman 3 (they're not saying who it is though).

ghostmind

S@H has all of the Galaxy Squad sets for 20% off.

Won't be long now until they are OOP.

And the Series 2 Mixels are back in stock, so grab them while you can.

Ryuuroden

They also don't replace Star Wars either.

which sux cause I have a star wars set with defective stickers that are all peeling off. Can't get them to stay stuck on.

S@H has all of the Galaxy Squad sets for 20% off.

Won't be long now until they are OOP.

And the Series 2 Mixels are back in stock, so grab them while you can.

Just saw your post, based on all the past reviews and the fact I loved the one Galaxy Squad set I did get (Eradicator Mech), I just put in an order for Bug Obliterator, HIve Crawler, Vermin Vaporizer, and Galactic Titan. :D I'll prolly end up building some galactic mashup MOC with the parts :D

Also, looked up prices on Rohan Soldiers, soo pricey :(. 10 to 15 dollars each....

I finally sat down tonight to start Ecto-1A from Ghostbusters II

Ecto1A_1.jpg

Ecto1A_2.jpg

I had to make a few compromises to keep the yellow and black chevron brick built but I think if I make a new decal for the GB logo on the side I can keep it nice and smooth. I think it's 90% there, I'll probably do a new number plate, some text on the ticker things on the side and the main thing I forgot was to leave a spot for the blue hose, so I need to go back and fix that up.

Next you should moc up some of the cars from the old C64 Ghostbusters game. I loved that game.

I like this Grundy:

GPqkYa0.jpg

LEGO can make a killing with super hero minifigs. There are so many costume variations too. I'm sure LEGO is just taking their time to milk it over the years, but I'd love to see more lesser known villains as support characters in sets. Where's the freakin Hall of Justice set?!?

Cheetah minifig is so easy to make with existing moulds.

My T1 VW van arrived from warehouse deals. The seals are intact and the box is slightly crushed. Hopefully I can have some time to build it as a Father's Day gift.

wetwired

Oh wow! So you actually provided supporting documentation well prior to the decision. I'd be really curious if other (ultimately not-selected) 10,000 vote creators were similarly approached.

Well I had previously reached 10k for the Tumbler which I had already released instructions for so I assume they didn't ask then because they were already available. So I can't really say if it's usual practice for them.

Did you originally have the windows build like that or was that Bessa? Reminded me alot of the windows in Arkham Asylum and wondering if thats just a Bessa thing now.

I had them built like that but they were attached differently, we actually talk about it a bit in the below video :)

Brent and Marcos present LEGO Ghostbusters Model Review: How the fan model became a real set

http://youtu.be/Br-csfJMph4

Marcos interviews Brent

http://youtu.be/5VNN8MTL3Dg

Congrats again wetwired!

leng jai

Good for future reference. As a rule I normally don't put any stickers on anyway, most sets look tacky with them on unless they're a critical detail.

My classic spaceman army is assembled (with 1 guest):

bUcXLgk.jpg

in order to put a few little 80s touches on the Spaceship³ with vintage parts:

Nice. I really wish they redid the mould for Benny's helmet similar to the classic space helmet. Not a big fan of the simulated broken helmet. I hope they reissue more classic space minifigs again. I was able to get a bunch of the blue ones in the display set a year or two ago.

Ryuuroden

Wow, Time flew by today. I spent about 5 hours working on my Helm's Deep MOC. I am using the LEGO one as a basis but I am enlarging it a bit and making it more detailed and diorama style. I have been making all the walls taller and I am adding staircases and making the bridge to the 2nd wall/keep look like an actual bridge plus putting in a doorway and building the walls above it. Will also be adding the entry into the mountainside as well as flanking rock walls on each end and in various other spots. Going off drawings I have found on the net. I have basically kept the main gate and ramp as is because at the same time as I am making it more imposing I am trying to still keep the general footprint small for display reasons. It will still probably be too deep for my shelves though. Depending on how far I get tomorrow, I may post WIP pictures. Right now, not enough progress has been made for pictures. Really enjoying doing this. I haven't built lego fortifications since I was a kid. I think I may need to bricklink a bunch of slope pieces....

Wow, Time flew by today. I spent about 5 hours working on my Helm's Deep MOC. I am using the LEGO one as a basis but I am enlarging it a bit and making it more detailed and diorama style. I have been making all the walls taller and I am adding staircases and making the bridge to the 2nd wall/keep look like an actual bridge plus putting in a doorway and building the walls above it. Will also be adding the entry into the mountainside as well as flanking rock walls on each end and in various other spots. Going off drawings I have found on the net. I have basically kept the main gate and ramp as is because at the same time as I am making it more imposing I am trying to still keep the general footprint small for display reasons. It will still probably be too deep for my shelves though. Depending on how far I get tomorrow, I may post WIP pictures. Right now, not enough progress has been made for pictures. Really enjoying doing this. I haven't built lego fortifications since I was a kid. I think I may need to bricklink a bunch of slope pieces....

It is never too early for WIP pictures. It is always fascinating to see the early stages of MOCs and then see how it all ends up.

Excited to see anything coming from this. :)

wyo9iFil.jpg

These are on clearance at TRU (US). It's brown tag now and could go lower if you are willing to wait. I personally love these case for display and mini figs storage.

They also have cherry picker polybag. I saw a real one of this at my work and was thinking , a Lego version would be easy to make but Lego beat me to it.

Mmmmmm Galaxy Squad goin on sale on S@H, bet they drop down again soon, probably by 4th of July. That's gonna trickle into the stores just like the Star Slicer discount, AND THEN I SHALL STRIKE!

Ainaurdur

Mmmmmm Galaxy Squad goin on sale on S@H, bet they drop down again soon, probably by 4th of July. That's gonna trickle into the stores just like the Star Slicer discount, AND THEN I SHALL STRIKE!

Yeah, I though about that, but then I remembered how it has gone for me in the past, I wasn't able to catch something right when it dropped again, and missed out entirely on a set or two.

So I just went ahead and grabbed the Galactic Titan and Eradicator Mech from S@H, and the Hive Crawler from Amazon (it was cheaper there than at S@H.)
Caution and budgeting be damned, I will not miss out! :D

which sux cause I have a star wars set with defective stickers that are all peeling off. Can't get them to stay stuck on.
This was in 2012 but they replaced my X-Wing stickers because they had arrived smashed in the box with some stickers coming off the backing. I had to give a proof of purchase number off the instruction booklet.

I was out buying pants just now and on a whim I went up to the comic shop and grabbed The Mummy Monster Fighters set.

I'm like this close to buying Vampyre's Castle from them, guys. It's bad.

I want Town Hall so much and my $100 budget for June can only buy one, but Vampyre's Castle. VAMPYRE'S CASTLE.

ARRGGHH

I was out buying pants just now and on a whim I went up to the comic shop and grabbed The Mummy Monster Fighters set.

I'm like this close to buying Vampyre's Castle from them, guys. It's bad.

I want Town Hall so much and my $100 budget for June can only buy one, but Vampyre's Castle. VAMPYRE'S CASTLE.

ARRGGHH

Don't ask Phonciplebone. I think he raved about it. I forget who else raved about that castle.

ghostmind

Don't ask Phonciplebone. I think he raved about it. I forget who else raved about that castle.

8CSvGnq.gif

Always two there are...

While the Haunted House was my favorite build (and completed set) of the Monster Fighters theme, I had the most fun with building the Vampyre Castle.

In short:

odrWKSu.gif

Wooooaaaaaahh!!

I was just doing some late night cleaning of my closet, when I came across a bag filled with a bunch of toys from when I moved. Inside was three of Series 1 ... Oh man I forgot their names but the things that came before hero Factory. The black one with a spear, the brown one that kicks, and the black/grey one with swiping claw hands.

Also, a bunch of old CMF!
Zoo Keeper
Punk Rocker
Statue of Liberty
Lumberjack (x2)
Sleepy Boy
Dwarf
Butcher
British Guard
Highlander(..?)

I ALSO found the very first Batman Minifig they gave out as a promotion at San Diego ComicCon.

Wheee!

Jake.

not lego, but i decided to take a break and try a 'nanoblock' set - it was quite expensive and its missing at least 6 pieces. ugggggggh.

Top Bottom