• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

73snGeA.jpg

LEGO-GAF, what is your opinion on custom-printed tiles? My thoughts are that if they are using authentic LEGO bricks as their medium, this is totally legit.

theaface

Happy Father's Day Dads!

My kiddos surprised me with Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Anyone else have a surprise?
I got the game of thrones pop up book just in time for the Season finale tonight. No lego as my wife thinks I have enough.

When the little one goes done for a nap I'm starting the VW t1 van.

Zerojul

73snGeA.jpg

LEGO-GAF, what is your opinion on custom-printed tiles? My thoughts are that if they are using authentic LEGO bricks as their medium, this is totally legit.

Copyright problems aside, I'd really like to get those Nintendo consoles. Looking great. And the Metallica poster too, but if it they had chosen "And Justice For All" for the print. But that's just me ;)
I can see how a lot of those can come in handy for MOCers anyway :)

Seems like a good idea to me, why not.

These are my brown and blue entries into the Bricket Mixels (Series 2) competition. Made an orange one as well, but I don't think it's very good at all, so I'm going to start again there.

LOL! The sword and shield are so awesome. I was not expecting that.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
After building the Creator Bike Shop and Cafe yesterday, I was able to convince my wife to go into building my first modular together. Finding Legos recently helped me deal with some of the stress and anxiety/OCD issues I have and I wanted to share this new found hobby with her. After seeing me do the fore-mentioned set, the Super Secret Police Ship and De Lorean, she kind-of appreciated the 3D puzzle aspect. Also, having something to show for the work and effort you put into the design.

All that being said, which modular set would you recommend as our first set? Sadly, we missed out (by several months) the Fire Department. We are currently looking at the Grand Emporium.

On a side note, I would like to thank my fellow Lego Gaffers for helping me find this new hobby that allows me to take a break from everything and go to a place of peace. I play games and collect figures but Legos allow me to be creative.

LEGO is a great hobby for relaxing. The only stressful part is the cost of wanting so much and where to store it all.

73snGeA.jpg

I'm 100% fine with custom printed tiles. They are perfectly legal as long as they don't print any copyrighted material. These I think are legal as they don't use the actual names.

I don't consider it 100% LEGO when making MOCs so from a purist standpoint, they don't count. I'm not a 100% purist though. I try to make stuff pure, but I dabble in 3rd party stuff all the time.

EDIT: Just looked at the site and there are a few that do seem like copyright infringement if they weren't licensed.

Ryuuroden

Another update to my Helms Deep:

Getting to the point where I will need to wait for my bricklink orders to come in. I will have enough to do the wall along the left flank though as well as a few other things. Some of the spots I just want to wait on so I don't have to go back and do them. Eventually the mountainside will go up above the arches that lead to the mountain fortress entrance and the side of the wall so it will look totally like its built into the mountainside.

Ponn

Banned
Ok, here he is all finished today.

"Grimlock not Mixel, Grimlock King!"

He is just awesome, really. I've been getting the Transformers Kreo from the beginning because being a big Transformers fan it was a no brainer for me. I will be the first to admit the Kreo line feels cheap compared to Lego. Mostly because the sets are very uninspired and bland. I still like the big Optimus and Starscream sets but this is like a whole new Kreo right here.

All 300 some pieces are for Grimmy here. He is solid and hefty with the majority of the build going into his midsection. Despite all that weight he is incredibly poseable between his legs and tail section.

Lots of ball joint pieces ala Mixels. Of special note is that autobot symbol there. It's not a sticker nor a printed brick but a raised molded autobot symbol on a tile piece, really cool. If I had one complaint its that you build like skeletal structure for him then build the sections as sort of SNOT then attach them to the skeletal structure. They aren't very secured so when you try to pose him sometimes you may squeeze to hard and a section may fall off. It's not a biggie and if you are just going to display him it certainly wont be an issue but if you wanted i'm sure some modding could fix it.

Puny King.

"Bay get it wrong, Grimlock rides Prime wheeeeeeeeeee"

Ok, here he is all finished today.

"Grimlock not Mixel, Grimlock King!"

He is just awesome, really. I've been getting the Transformers Kreo from the beginning because being a big Transformers fan it was a no brainer for me. I will be the first to admit the Kreo line feels cheap compared to Lego. Mostly because the sets are very uninspired and bland. I still like the big Optimus and Starscream sets but this is like a whole new Kreo right here.

All 300 some pieces are for Grimmy here. He is solid and hefty with the majority of the build going into his midsection. Despite all that weight he is incredibly poseable between his legs and tail section.

Lots of ball joint pieces ala Mixels. Of special note is that autobot symbol there. It's not a sticker nor a printed brick but a raised molded autobot symbol on a tile piece, really cool. If I had one complaint its that you build like skeletal structure for him then build the sections as sort of SNOT then attach them to the skeletal structure. They aren't very secured so when you try to pose him sometimes you may squeeze to hard and a section may fall off. It's not a biggie and if you are just going to display him it certainly wont be an issue but if you wanted i'm sure some modding could fix it.

Puny King.

"Bay get it wrong, Grimlock rides Prime wheeeeeeeeeee"

That is really cool. Always loved classic Grimlock. And from the pics, that looks remarkably doable with regular LEGO too. A few pieces here and there excepted.

That is really cool. Always loved classic Grimlock. And from the pics, that looks remarkably doable with regular LEGO too. A few pieces here and there excepted.

He's got some really funky Kre-o only pieces in him but they're nothing that can't be replicated with regular Lego block IMO. When I was building him I actually thought some of it was kinda cheap, like "Oh, they just combined like 3 bricks into one brick, that's lame" but he does look wicked cool when done. I'd also like to see someone recreate him with actual Lego. I don't think it would be that difficult.

Ryuuroden

wewt, its 12 midnight, guess I'm done for the night. Ended up building a large portion of the Deeping Wall and some more of the mountain entrance. I won't be able to do any work on it tomorrow but maybe while traveling I'll put together some ideas on my laptop.

had this done over a week ago, but I am packing up most of my Lego's to move and disasembling most of my stuff.

Pics are not the best, but I'm happy with my build. Lessons learned mostly with planning to be more durable in terms of pieces staying together.

Had fun figuring out the pilot as well, where it's a standard black helmet with the CMF Barbarian head and the Blacktron Evil Robot CMF for body, and SW Deathstar Gunner legs.

neonglow

Here's a set I don't think many of you guys own: LEGO City Coin Bank. It's a nice small set that lets me store my loose change. I like that the safe actually locks by turning the wheel in front. The Technic pieces behind it look into the groove of the side wall panels.

14238409877_ec88b55111.jpg

14445046813_0d3048b3e7.jpg

14423733304_74ac5be671.jpg

Here's a set I don't think many of you guys own: LEGO City Coin Bank. It's a nice small set that lets me store my loose change. I like that the safe actually locks by turning the wheel in front. The Technic pieces behind it look into the groove of the side wall panels.

14238409877_ec88b55111.jpg

14445046813_0d3048b3e7.jpg

14423733304_74ac5be671.jpg

Very cool. :)

God I love Galaxy Squad. I'm building the front of the Swarm Interceptor and it has so many cool techniques like the little wings that flip out! Can't wait to get to the rest of it... and then on to the other sets!

Damn shame this series gets overlooked. I hope that doesn't deter Lego from doing similar builds in the future.

Edit: ooooooooOOOOOH MY GOD THIS SHIP IS AMAZING!!! The way the cockpit stays in place while the jets and wings twist around?!? I just wooshed it all around my living room and kitchen!! Wow!!

Side note, mine was missing a piece [1x2 brick w/ 2 holes] but it's for the flick fire missiles that I'll never, ever use so I don't think I care. I'll order a replacement but I'm in no rush.

Exterminator Mech next!!

PSA: Buy the Milano Spaceship NOW. Not next week, or the week after but right now. This set has lots and lots of swoosh and it's a really unique build for a spaceship. So glad I bought it up...=D

Rootbeer

Banned
walmart.com and bestbuy.com are selling the Everything Is Awesome edition for 34.99 ($1 cheaper than Target's ad :p)

So if you plan on heading into Target Tues and getting the deal there ($35.99 -or- $25.99 if you buy it with an advertised $25 lego set) you can price match it down to 34.99 before doing so and save a dollar... :eek:

Why not? :)

Sadly target is not offering in store pickup for this great deal. It's early bird catches the worm this time.

Nice. :) I wonder if amazon.com would be offering a similar price for Americans if not for all this supply chain bickering that is going on right now.

Pretty sure last time I checked it was something like 36$ on Amazon.ca, so nice surprise today when I realized I had forgotten to order it and went for it. I won't complain :)

PSA: Buy the Milano Spaceship NOW. Not next week, or the week after but right now. This set has lots and lots of swoosh and it's a really unique build for a spaceship. So glad I bought it up...=D

Marcos Bessa strikes again!

Was hoping for a worthy successor to Quinjet. Seems like this is it.

Are there different versions of the Lego Movie blu in the US?

Regular edition (Blu+DVD=Ultraviolet)
Everything is Awesome Edition (3D Blu+Blu+DVD+Ultraviolet). Also comes with one unique special feature, custom packaging, a 3D cover of Emmett, and an exclusive Vitruvius mini figure.

EDIT: Also, it seems Target is getting exclusive packaging for the regular blu ray edition. But it is more expensive than the regular version from other places. Not worth the premium in my opinion. The EIA edition is close to the same price everywhere it seems.

ghostmind

The LEGO Minifigures Online closed beta just ended - unfortunately I am not supposed to talk about it.

However, the open beta is supposed to start very soon, so everyone should be able to give it a try soon.

The LEGO Minifigures Online closed beta just ended - unfortunately I am not supposed to talk about it.

However, the open beta is supposed to start very soon, so everyone should be able to give it a try soon.

You just did!

I wonder if there's some way someone will figure out all the next series of CMFs that will be in the game.

ghostmind

You just did!

I wonder if there's some way someone will figure out all the next series of CMFs that will be in the game.

LOL - as per the NDA, I'm not supposed to talk about the closed beta experience. The fact that it has ended I think is fair game.

That's a very good question you have there...

Rootbeer

Banned
Just doing a little research before tomorrow's release of the blu-ray...

my closest target told me they are only getting 9 of the Everything is Awesome Edition. They open at 7am, earliest i can be in store is maybe 8:15am... so, crossing my fingers.

Worst case, I'll order online later tomorrow. But trying to get in on the $10 off deal, so...

*edit* okay, called a second (and bigger) Target... they are only getting 6!

Plan ahead if you are going the Target route tomorrow.

neonglow

Wait what is the deal at Target???

My order shipped from Amazon, should I return it and go to Target instead?

Extra $10 off these sets that are on sale for $25: Bad Cop’s Pursuit (70802), Ice Cream Machine (70804), Trash Chomper (70805) if purchased with The LEGO Movie

Basically, if you buy the movie, you get a 50% discount on one of those sets.

Just doing a little research before tomorrow's release of the blu-ray...

my closest target told me they are only getting 9 of the Everything is Awesome Edition. They open at 7am, earliest i can be in store is maybe 8:15am... so, crossing my fingers.

Worst case, I'll order online later tomorrow. But trying to get in on the $10 off deal, so...

*edit* okay, called a second (and bigger) Target... they are only getting 6!

Plan ahead if you are going the Target route tomorrow.

Well, that's pretty lame. That's a low number to get in.

Experien

If I buy something from shop@home and it says it won't ship until X day, that will be for the whole order, right?

I imagine that if it delays my whole order to July, I wouldn't get the July freebie as well.

If I buy something from shop@home and it says it won't ship until X day, that will be for the whole order, right?

I imagine that if it delays my whole order to July, I wouldn't get the July freebie as well.
If you place a qualifying order, the freebie is automatically added to your order despite when it ships.

Ken

I was at legoland earlier and came back with one of these and bilbo's house lol

Top Bottom