• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Nice. I really wish they redid the mould for Benny's helmet similar to the classic space helmet. Not a big fan of the simulated broken helmet. I hope they reissue more classic space minifigs again. I was able to get a bunch of the blue ones in the display set a year or two ago.
One of the blue mixels in s2 uses 2 blue helmets. But I don't know if they are the same mold or color.

No, they're the standard visored helmets.

I went back to the store to check on the Fire Brigades. Two have decent shelf wear and one has a big hole near the top, as if someone gripped it too hard picking it up. They're $250 each but then again that's about $15 less than the cheapest BL seller in Europe. I don't really have the cash to spend right now, but I might head back later when the manager is around (in the end of the month) and see if he can give me a slightly better price.

They also have some 2011 City sets but those never get any more valuable.

Edit: The other shop has a bunch of pristine Helm's Deeps and those are also getting more expensive. I doubt they'll ever reach modular prices though.

I was out buying pants just now and on a whim I went up to the comic shop and grabbed The Mummy Monster Fighters set.

I'm like this close to buying Vampyre's Castle from them, guys. It's bad.

I want Town Hall so much and my $100 budget for June can only buy one, but Vampyre's Castle. VAMPYRE'S CASTLE.

ARRGGHH
It's on clearance at toys r us right now for about $60 but there are none in my area. Curse this booming metropolis known as buffalo.

ruxtpin

Banned
Thanks for the info on the sale. Galactic Titan ordered at discount and Lego Movie business lair thing ordered at triple VIP points.

wetwired

I decided all black ecto-1 would look sexier than the patchwork one so I modded it some more while adapting Marco's roof (I changed the lights a bit though. My daughter saw it and declared it Batgirls Car so I added some appropriate details :)

j1RBH56.jpg

Don't ask Phonciplebone. I think he raved about it. I forget who else raved about that castle.

I was late to the party on that one. It was a bunch of other people on here that raved about before I jumped in.

But yes, that set is so much fun. It doesn't look like much, but the wealth of hidden details (TORTURE ROOM!) are so much fun.

Hows Eradicator Mech?

Awesome. Absolutely love how it transforms into two vehicles too.

Zerojul

I decided all black ecto-1 would look sexier than the patchwork one so I modded it some more while adapting Marco's roof (I changed the lights a bit though. My daughter saw it and declared it Batgirls Car so I added some appropriate details :)

j1RBH56.jpg

She's right, it does look like the car Batgirl would go for :) Lovely !

j1RBH56.jpg

Bathearse!

It does look really cool in all black.

I was late to the party on that one. It was a bunch of other people on here that raved about before I jumped in.

But yes, that set is so much fun. It doesn't look like much, but the wealth of hidden details (TORTURE ROOM!) are so much fun.

It was the first big set I built with my daughter. For my money it is still the best play set we own.

Ryuuroden

j1RBH56.jpg

YEeesss, your daughter is awesome

After building the Creator Bike Shop and Cafe yesterday, I was able to convince my wife to go into building my first modular together. Finding Legos recently helped me deal with some of the stress and anxiety/OCD issues I have and I wanted to share this new found hobby with her. After seeing me do the fore-mentioned set, the Super Secret Police Ship and De Lorean, she kind-of appreciated the 3D puzzle aspect. Also, having something to show for the work and effort you put into the design.

All that being said, which modular set would you recommend as our first set? Sadly, we missed out (by several months) the Fire Department. We are currently looking at the Grand Emporium.

On a side note, I would like to thank my fellow Lego Gaffers for helping me find this new hobby that allows me to take a break from everything and go to a place of peace. I play games and collect figures but Legos allow me to be creative.

Zerojul

After building the Creator Bike Shop and Cafe yesterday, I was able to convince my wife to go into building my first modular together. Finding Legos recently helped me deal with some of the stress and anxiety/OCD issues I have and I wanted to share this new found hobby with her. After seeing me do the fore-mentioned set, the Super Secret Police Ship and De Lorean, she kind-of appreciated the 3D puzzle aspect. Also, having something to show for the work and effort you put into the design.

All that being said, which modular set would you recommend as our first set? Sadly, we missed out (by several months) the Fire Department. We are currently looking at the Grand Emporium.

On a side note, I would like to thank my fellow Lego Gaffers for helping me find this new hobby that allows me to take a break from everything and go to a place of peace. I play games and collect figures but Legos allow me to be creative.

If you want to collect them all (well the ones that are still available) go for either Grand Emporium or Town Hall as they will be the next to go out of print. If you just want a good looking model, I personnally like French Restaurant a lot, and not because I'm french myself :)

Grand Emporium should be the next set to retire so that's my recommendation.

I agree about the place of peace.

The best ones in production are Pet Shop and Parisian Restaurant.

theaface

Built my blue and brown Mixel MAX MOCs for the Brickset competition - will post pics in the morning. Reasonably happy with the results, although I'd say they're harder to work with than the Series 1 models, and the orange ones look like the hardest yet.

I'm currently building the Grand Emporium, and have to say I find it disappointing. The completionist in me wanted it before it went out of print, but I think I would have skipped if I knew then what I know now. Just my $.02.

Ainaurdur

Wow ow this is gonna be great ! Keep posting :)
Agreed.
I would have loved to get several sets of it and made a larger, more movie accurate version. But I didn't have the time or money to go through with it. Settled for just one.

Good job so far, look forward to seeing more progress!

I'm currently building the Grand Emporium, and have to say I find it disappointing. The completionist in me wanted it before it went out of print, but I think I would have skipped if I knew then what I know now. Just my $.02.

Why do you find it disappointing? I'm between it and the Town Hall.

Caladrius

Why do you find it disappointing? I'm between it and the Town Hall.

The exterior and actual structural elements are great, but the interior save for the first floor is absolutely barren.

Unless you're absolutely starved for wall, glass and arch pieces you're probably better off with Town Hall.

Grand Emporium should be the next set to retire so that's my recommendation.

I agree about the place of peace.

If you want to collect them all (well the ones that are still available) go for either Grand Emporium or Town Hall as they will be the next to go out of print. If you just want a good looking model, I personnally like French Restaurant a lot, and not because I'm french myself :)

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm on the site now and waiting to finalize my order. I'm still debating between the emporium and town hall, since they are the oldest ones. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the other Creator sets fit with the modular ones.

The exterior and actual structural elements are great, but the interior save for the first floor is absolutely barren.

Unless you're absolutely starved for wall, glass and arch pieces you're probably better off with Town Hall.

Basically this. The outside is nice, but inside looks like the Grand Emporium is going out of business.

Basically this. The outside is nice, but inside looks like the Grand Emporium is going out of business.

For the small town I'm starting on, do you think it's worth the addition or just go with the Town Hall or French Restaurant.

Ryuuroden

Made some more progress since last photos, also put in a 70 dollar bricklink order for a bunch of parts needed.

This is first revision of inner keep, still have to add staircases, secondary walls and mountain keep entrance as well as entrance into the Hornburg and more interior details. I won't be building any of the inner mountain keep/caves area as the base I built is at the maximum depth I want to go. I also have to expand the inner Keep walls and start building up the mountainside that the castle is built into. I have ordered parts to make the Hornburg Tower even taller.

Well my plans for the month are shot. Someone bought out Town Hall at work. Also the 20% Galaxy Squad is on store too AND it stacks with our employee discount.
Guess it made the choice easier but damn, I really wanted Town Hall. :(

Well my plans for the month are shot. Someone bought out Town Hall at work. Also the 20% Galaxy Squad is on store too AND it stacks with our employee discount.
Guess it made the choice easier but damn, I really wanted Town Hall. :(
Galaxy Squad line > Town Hall.

You will still get Town Hall soon. But Galaxy Squad as a line is so great.

Galaxy Squad line > Town Hall.

You will still get Town Hall soon. But Galaxy Squad as a line is so great.
I'm just hoping that the 20% off lasts until Monday, because I can't make purchases on the clock and there are no managers working tomorrow.

I'll miss out on Balloon Cart Guy too.

:(

On the other hand, can't wait to get that sweet sweet Eradicator Mech action goin down. Plus Hive Crawler and Galatic Titan... Hnnnnggg

I'm just hoping that the 20% off lasts until Monday, because I can't make purchases on the clock and there are no managers working tomorrow.

I'll miss out on Balloon Cart Guy too.

:(

On the other hand, can't wait to get that sweet sweet Eradicator Mech action goin down. Plus Hive Crawler and Galatic Titan... Hnnnnggg
Hive Crawler > most everything last year. Only Ewok Village tops it for 2013 on my list. The Eradicator Mech is so fun though. It's all about how it transforms.

The Titan though...it is okay. The drop ship part is awesome, but as a whole it was a bit disappointing. It just feels incomplete in a way. Bug Obliterator and Vermin Vaporizor are the tip top of the vehicles.

Ryuuroden

Welp, I'm done with Helms Deep for the night......it got attacked by a spider I shall name Shelob cause Minifigure scale it could take out my LEGO Frodo and it freaked me the fuck out. I smashed it with the beer bottle I was drinking from along with part of helms deep ;.; and ground it up in the disposal.

Welp, I'm done with Helms Deep for the night......it got attacked by a spider I shall name Shelob cause Minifigure scale it could take out my LEGO Frodo and it freaked me the fuck out. I smashed it with the beer bottle I was drinking from along with part of helms deep ;.; and ground it up in the disposal.
The most pressing question I have is this: what kind of beer?

Ryuuroden

The most pressing question I have is this: what kind of beer?

Yuengling Lager, even if you are just making a funny :p

my Helms Deep is starting to look damn good though, started putting in the mountain cliffs that the walls are built into until i ran out of slope pieces and I have the inner keep stairs to the mountain fortress entrance built now along with the beginnings of the arches of the entrance.

Building that part of the keep off pictures like this:

helms_deep_031.jpg

fucking bugs... (except Galaxy Squad ones, those are the good kind), i HATE THEM! I smashed one of those long legged spiders on the wall yesterday evening, then at night i get bitten by that SAME fucking mosquito bitch that already plagued my nights a couple days ago. My legs and arms look awful now since i can't keep from scratching.

Damn thing is going down when (if) i find it, i swear! I will straight up TORTURE that fucker into oblivion!

*end rant*

Well, I wasn't expecting it to happen but for whatever reason my assistant manager let us do employee sales at the end of the night since someone returned four Ecto-1s and two of my coworkers really wanted to get them.

I'm not gonna say how much it cost because I'll get run out of here with pitchforks and torches but I have all the Galaxy Squad sets now except the Warp Stinger and the Bug Obliterator.

Where the flip am I gonna put all these things I wasn't planning on this happening until July

ghostmind

Well, I wasn't expecting it to happen but for whatever reason my assistant manager let us do employee sales at the end of the night since someone returned four Ecto-1s and two of my coworkers really wanted to get them.

I'm not gonna say how much it cost because I'll get run out of here with pitchforks and torches but I have all the Galaxy Squad sets now except the Warp Stinger and the Bug Obliterator.

Where the flip am I gonna put all these things I wasn't planning on this happening until July

They still had the Crater Creeper? That one hasn't been available from S@H for months.

They still had the Crater Creeper? That one hasn't been available from S@H for months.
I already had that one (got it on Amazon a bit ago for around $11) but yeah, we actually have a ton of them. I'm honestly surprised that not only have we not sold out of them by now, but even with the 20% sale they're just not moving. The Crater Creeper is really cool IMO, it's only $20, it's pretty large, comes with a little flying jet pod with a robot minion, and it has the super gnarly snappy jaws. Plus at the discount they're perfect for army building, have a legion of them.

ghostmind

I already had that one (got it on Amazon a bit ago for around $11) but yeah, we actually have a ton of them. I'm honestly surprised that not only have we not sold out of them by now, but even with the 20% sale they're just not moving. The Crater Creeper is really cool IMO, it's only $20, it's pretty large, comes with a little flying jet pod with a robot minion, and it has the super gnarly snappy jaws. Plus at the discount they're perfect for army building, have a legion of them.

And, as I have mentioned before, the little flying pod can dock with the Vermin Vaporizer, replacing the little rover that comes with that set.

Zerojul

For the small town I'm starting on, do you think it's worth the addition or just go with the Town Hall or French Restaurant.

Let us know what you went with :)
For the record, while I totally agree with the others saying the Grand Emporium looks empty on the second and third floors, I still plan on getting one eventually (I know, I got to hurry). I think the exterior looks amazing. And I want to collect them all...
Plus, you can see it as an opportunity to get creative and MOC things up a little eventually if you're not satisfied with the upper levels. I'm sure you and your wife can come up with nice ideas for that :)
I still think French Restaurant is the better set out there as a whole though ;)

I'll chime in on Grand Emporium too and echo what everyone else is saying - outside it looks amazing, but the second and third floors are just insultingly bad. Excellent for MOCing though, I plan to put some arcade cabinets onto the third floor of mine and maybe a proper food court on the second (or swap those two, food courts tend to be on the top floor, right?). But it really does look so good from the outside.

Nitemare1

I should have done that for mine - I really botched the application of the sticker that goes on the clear panel in front of the engine core.

I feel like everyone has to learn this the hard way. Unfortunately mine was the rear stain glass window on Queen Anne's Revenge. Totally botched it. Bummed me out to no end.

Top Bottom