• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

The LEGO Movie (direct link):

http://youtu.be/Yj4GeCk5SBk

JuvkXTA.png

neonglow

So the question is...do we spring for WV Market now, or hope for a discount in the new year?

If it does discount, LEGO will start it off at 20% and go up from there if it doesn't sell out.

How much do you value the free holiday set? If you value the free holiday set close to $20, I'd just get it this month. Otherwise, you could wait it out.

Personally, I will be buying WV Market during Black Friday.

Given LEGO's new rules with the direct sets, I don't know how it is going to go this year.

Good point!

I'm going to try and be good in November, just buying one "medium sized" set for Brick Friday. Right now it's Camper or WV Market....but this thread has plenty of proof that I change my mind every two minutes.

How much do you value the free holiday set? If you value the free holiday set close to $20, I'd just get it this month. Otherwise, you could wait it out.

Personally, I will be buying WV Market during Black Friday.

I'm definitely getting *something* on Brick Friday so I'll get the free set...it's just a question of what!

After tonight I can finally start planning for building the other WV sets. November 1 is when Christmas season starts in my house.

So the question is...do we spring for WV Market now, or hope for a discount in the new year?

I doubt you'll see much of a discount. Double points is the best for those items now for most people. The free PAB box is worth approximated $7, the size of a small PAB cup. If you wait for the free Holiday set for Brick Friday, you get both of those!
You could also wait to see if rumors of triple points for Brick Friday is true.

Notice the original Space minifig complete with broken chin strap on the helmet! Amazing detail!

Plus the worn out printing.

My poor red and white spacemen always suffered this fate.

I honestly think this is why LEGO did not use them for the modern reissue of the classic spacemen minfigs. The chin strap design of the old helmets were faulty. The excuse I heard was due to them not having the original moulds or something. They could easily make new moulds (so what if they're expensive - they've been making tons of new moulds lately). Fingers crossed they reissue the classic spaceman helmet for LEGO Movie CMFs.

wetwired

For smaller quantities of a color, I keep them mixed as it's super easy to differentiate colors of same shape in container. If I have a bulk amount of a certain piece, I'll separate by color then.

Here's some storage groups:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1043272@N22/pool/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/legostorage/pool/

EDIT: There's always this storage solution.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/atkinsar/sets/72157632511440297/

LEGO Room Project by atkinsar, on Flickr

I've nearly finished sorting my collection, I'll take photos afterwards but I sort colour, then shape. I find when I'm building I work in particular colours at a time so it makes it easier than constantly changing containers to find the piece and then colour I need, I have a wide range of a certain colour in front of me and worth within that.

R-User!

Finished the second floor of Haunted house last night. Plan on finishing the build tonight. So far it is an okay build, but I am not overly impressed. The windows are so repetitive and just boring. There isn't really anything new or exciting in the building technique. Also I am not crazy about how flimsy the walls were during the building process. The windows going in separately reduced the strength of the walls. this was fixed once you put the windows in and put a larger 1x6 over the top. The best part so far would be the wood beams you build at the end of the second floor. It gives some strength to the walls and is a cool way to attach the floor for the third floor. I like the way they have done the hinges, but with that said I don't like the fact that it uses hinges and opens. I think it would be much better served as a modular type building. This might be because the Modular line is my favorite and I currently build for display. No play involved at all.

Overall the building looks great as a display piece, but nothing so far has made me go wow, that's cool. I will post my final thoughts on it when I complete the build. Hopefully tonight.

Blasphemy!!!

:)

The question is if his disappointment is from just the set itself, the extreme hype I and many others did for the set, or a combination of the two.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
The question is if his disappointment is from just the set itself, the extreme hype I and many others did for the set, or a combination of the two.

I finished it and it looks good. I don't know how highly I rank it however. I am going to sleep on it and reflect tomorrow. I think I was over hyped.

Finished the second floor of Haunted house last night. Plan on finishing the build tonight. So far it is an okay build, but I am not overly impressed. The windows are so repetitive and just boring. There isn't really anything new or exciting in the building technique. Also I am not crazy about how flimsy the walls were during the building process. The windows going in separately reduced the strength of the walls. this was fixed once you put the windows in and put a larger 1x6 over the top. The best part so far would be the wood beams you build at the end of the second floor. It gives some strength to the walls and is a cool way to attach the floor for the third floor. I like the way they have done the hinges, but with that said I don't like the fact that it uses hinges and opens. I think it would be much better served as a modular type building. This might be because the Modular line is my favorite and I currently build for display. No play involved at all.

Overall the building looks great as a display piece, but nothing so far has made me go wow, that's cool. I will post my final thoughts on it when I complete the build. Hopefully tonight.

I have to agree with you on the windows. They were so repetitive I got angry and decided not to break it down last year after Halloween. If I ever do break it down to rebuild some time I think I will leave the windows built.

^^ It's November 1st, and the Christmas LEGO season is officially upon us. WE HAVE REACHED THE EVENT HORIZON.

(sorry US friends, northern Thanksgiving was weeks ago!)

I finished it and it looks good. I don't know how highly I rank it however. I am going to sleep on it and reflect tomorrow. I think I was over hyped.

It is among my favorite sets from a display standpoint, but I wouldn't argue that the build is particularly engaging.

ghostmind

CMF Series 12: The LEGO Movie

90xyvJc.jpg

Top row, left to right:
Calamity Drone
Gail the Construction Worker
Abraham Lincoln
Larry the Barista
Panda Guy
Velma Staplebot
William Shakespeare
Taco Tuesday Guy

Bottom row, left to right:
"Where are my pants?" Guy
Wiley Fusebot
President Business
Wild West Wyldstyle
Hard Hat Emmet
Scribbe-Face Bad Cop
Mrs. Scratchen-Post
Marsha Queen of the Mermaids

R-User!

90xyvJc.jpg

William Shakespeare
Panda Guy
Abraham Lincoln
Taco Tuesday Guy
Larry the Barista
President Business
Calamity Drone
Wild West Wyldstyle
Scribbe-Face Bad Cop
Velma Staplebot
Hard Hat Emmet
“Where are my Pants?” Guy
Mrs. Scratchen-Post
Wiley Fusebot

Panda guy!!!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

90xyvJc.jpg

William Shakespeare
Panda Guy
Abraham Lincoln
Taco Tuesday Guy
Larry the Barista
President Business
Calamity Drone
Wild West Wyldstyle
Scribbe-Face Bad Cop
Velma Staplebot
Hard Hat Emmet
“Where are my Pants?” Guy
Mrs. Scratchen-Post
Wiley Fusebot

Nice. Panda guy is cool. Looks like the are reusing a lot of pieces.

hmm except for Panda guy, that series does not really appeal to me (yet). Maybe i need to see the Lego Movie first for it all to click though?

That Cuckoo Cloud set thing somehow looks interesting though... albeit in a strange way ;)

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I've only followed a few trailers so far, but really, those sets are the best promotion the movie can get imo.

So meta, really excited.

ghostmind

hmm except for Panda guy, that series does not really appeal to me (yet). Maybe i need to see the Lego Movie first for it all to click though?

That Cuckoo Cloud set thing somehow looks interesting though... albeit in a strange way ;)

Uni-Kitty!

The Cuckoo Cloud looks like their Duplo-like world. Can't wait to see the other themes they cover.

Just completed yet another of the F1 Shell cars, this time the 250 GT Berlinetta...

Not bad i guess though it doesn't come close to the wonderful FXX i did earlier as far as i am concerned!! I do like the little dome on the hood though :) nice touch

I'm looking to pick up An Unexpected Gathering. Been eyeing it for a while. I'm gonna see if I can get it a bit cheaper around Cyber Monday time. Think it's something that'll drop in price at that time and, if so, how much do they normally shave off, depending on the retailer?

I picked up LEGO Minifgiure Year by Year book from Costco yesterday (which my wife is making me taking it back, I guess she got one for me for Christmas). I did not realize that some of the figures in TRU recent mini-figures set are remake variants of older figures.

Calm Killer

Final Thoughts on Haunted House:

Thoughts:
The set looks great once completed. It will be a nice display piece. I would be 100% in love with this set if it was a modular set and not a stand alone building. As a stand alone it looks great. Not the worst set I have ever build, but not the best set either. Windows are repetitive and become annoying. I didn't even place the items in the third floor because of the way I was building it. I had the container holding all those items on a shelf and I had two containers on my lap, instructions and the house so i didn't put everything down just to get up and grab that stuff. But honestly the first bag build really took away from the oh cool factor that I normally have. It really ruined the build for me more than I expected. Overall I would say it is a good build, beautiful display piece. With that said it fell sort of my expectations and I am left disappointed in the build. I might enjoy building it at a later date more.

Pros:
Beautiful Color, Nice piece selection. Nice Chimney design. Lots of slope pieces for the roof. The wood beams on second floor a nice touch. I liked it a lot.

Cons:
Bag 1s and instructions. Details first killed the enjoyment for me, more so than I expected. Hinges opening up the set for play is a great idea, but this isn't a doll house for me. I classified this similar to a modular, and that it is not. Which leads me to my next point. To me it would be much better if each floor was like modular build. Top off instead of doll house open. Flimsy walls during the build. This is later resolved with support, but the walls a weakened by window placement. Windows are my biggest issue in this one. They are brick built and after about the 4th one I really was done with them. I think there are about 12 windows.

I actually built the HH last night for Halloween and I understand where you're coming from. It looks great and so far has wowed friends/the gf more than the modulars have, but the build wasn't on the same level for me.

Final Thoughts on Haunted House:

Thoughts:
The set looks great once completed. It will be a nice display piece. I would be 100% in love with this set if it was a modular set and not a stand alone building. As a stand alone it looks great. Not the worst set I have ever build, but not the best set either.

I know it's dumb but this is easily my biggest "complaint". I really wish it was a modular.

Taco Tuesday guy and the panda are must haves for me, not sure about President Business. Is this the only way to get him or will he be in a movie set?

ghostmind

Taco Tuesday guy and the panda are must haves for me, not sure about President Business. Is this the only way to get him or will he be in a movie set?

I am sure President Business will be in another Movie set, but perhaps not with his hairpiece, but rather with his insane helmet.

And my son has also singled out Taco Tuesday Guy and Panda Guy as the two he wants from this series.

Falch

90xyvJc.jpg

Top row, left to right:
Calamity Drone
Abraham Lincoln
Larry the Barista
Panda Guy
Velma Staplebot
William Shakespeare
Taco Tuesday Guy

Wiley Fusebot
President Business
Wild West Wyldstyle
Hard Hat Emmet
Scribbe-Face Bad Cop
Mrs. Scratchen-Post

Definitely getting the entire series.

Perhaps I'll get 1 or 2 sets from the movie too, if they really appeal to me.

I assume the minifigs and series aren't out until february?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I still haven't found affordable boxes of series 11 :/

Ordered one from amazon.fr but I don't think they'll ever get those back in stock.

I still haven't found affordable boxes of series 11 :/

Ordered one from amazon.fr but I don't think they'll ever get those back in stock.

Have you tried bricklink? Thats where I got mine from.
Pretty much the only LEGO I've been buying recently are CMF boxes ;)

Naka

90xyvJc.jpg

Top row, left to right:
Calamity Drone
Abraham Lincoln
Larry the Barista
Panda Guy
Velma Staplebot
William Shakespeare
Taco Tuesday Guy

Wiley Fusebot
President Business
Wild West Wyldstyle
Hard Hat Emmet
Scribbe-Face Bad Cop
Mrs. Scratchen-Post

When I first saw the picture, I thought the various bot figures were Zombies. "Where are my pants?" Guy is pretty out there. I guess the movie will put that in context.

AiKaKpS.jpg

70803 Cloud Cuckoo Palace (Emmet, Wyldstyle, Uni-Kitty, and a minor villain named Executron)

I like it. Executron will make a nice addition to my "Corporate" theme. It has a lot of parts in uncommon colors.

Panda guy!!!

Nice. Panda guy is cool. Looks like the are reusing a lot of pieces.

Finally some Panda love. I was all over him days ago and nobody seemed interested in him. I hope it's a "helmet" piece.

So I finally caved and got the Lex Luthor power armor set and UPS won't leave it at my door. It's a $20 package, why not leave it? I got the first attempted delivery notice, signed it, and put it back on my door. Got a second notice, so today I signed that too, put them both on my door, as well as a paper saying UPS can leave it.

Hopefully it's here today when I get home from work. I want Superman and Lex, dangit.

Top Bottom