• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

R-User!

Just made my last LEGO order using my Merlin 40% discount and it's a doozy!
On the way soon:

The Sydney Opera House
The Tower of Orthanc
Aviation Adventures
Family House
Mobile Crane Mk II
Star Slicer (the last set to complete my Galaxy Squad collection)
Winter Village Market

I cannot wait to start building!
Pics will be uploaded when sets arrive.

(Reason for being last order: I leave the company on Saturday due to my contract expiring, I hope to find another job soon to allow me to continue my LEGO purchases, I NEED the Parisian Restaurant modular in my collection!)

Whoa!!!

That is one big haul, and 40% discount wow.

Our hot water leaked last week, so there go my LEGO fund for this month. I was going to get something small (like Christmas set) but I noticed that the Christmas bonus set giveaway are gone. Boo.

PS:Shout out to Neonglow, I got Robin poly yesterday. Thanks for the trade.

Well, this is very frustrating.

I was finishing off Palace Cinema when I noticed that the sign was bowing quite badly. I'm not sure how to get around this. Has anybody else had this problem?

nTYtQCY.jpg

I was finishing off Palace Cinema when I noticed that the sign was bowing quite badly. I'm not sure how to get around this. Has anybody else had this problem?

That is the 2x16 plate right? I would clear all the jumper bricks off of it, then bend it slowly and carefully until it is bowing just slightly the other direction. Hold it for a few seconds or so, then let go. A couple times of doing this should set it right, then just reattach it to the sign. I have had to do that a few times with old bricks and lately with really long plates.

R-User!

That is the 2x16 plate right? I would clear all the jumper bricks off of it, then bend it slowly and carefully until it is bowing just slightly the other direction. Hold it for a few seconds or so, then let go. A couple times of doing this should set it right, then just reattach it to the sign. I have had to do that a few times with old bricks and lately with really long plates.

Yes, the dreaded counter-bend.

Good suggestion. I don't think it's the plate though. I swapped it with the plate on the back and it also bowed. The "structure" itself warps slightly whenever I attach it to either plate, resulting in the next plate not attaching properly.

I may need to work on ensuring the "structure" is completely flush and flat. That's the only thing I can think of....?

Good suggestion. I don't think it's the plate though. I swapped it with the plate on the back and it also bowed. The "structure" itself warps slightly whenever I attach it to either plate, resulting in the next plate not attaching properly.

I may need to work on ensuring the "structure" is completely flush and flat. That's the only thing I can think of....?

Yeah, make sure the letter structure is flush and flat. Looking closer at the pic it looks like a slight bend to the other 2x16 on the other side as well. Maybe a counter bend on both and lining up all the pieces for the letters. The bowing looks to start around the A and L in the sign, at least from the pic.

A good way to get all the pieces lined up on the letters is to remove all the side plates and lay the letters down on a table and use the table surface as the flat edge. Just press and squeeze against the flat surface, then rotate and do it on all sides. That is something I do occasionally for parts like that in builds.

Hope that helps.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
On the way soon:

The Sydney Opera House
The Tower of Orthanc
Aviation Adventures
Family House
Mobile Crane Mk II
Winter Village Market

(Reason for being last order: I leave the company on Saturday due to my contract expiring, I hope to find another job soon to allow me to continue my LEGO purchases, I NEED the Parisian Restaurant modular in my collection!)

Beautiful Haul!

On the way soon:

The Sydney Opera House
The Tower of Orthanc
Aviation Adventures
Family House
Mobile Crane Mk II
Winter Village Market

You had me at 40%. I have a Merlin pass (you're talking about Legoland pass right?). How did you get a 40% discount!?!?!?!?!?!

I know I spend a lot of time talking about my local unofficial LEGO store...but boy...they continue to deliver.

Ran across these today:

NICE! Did you know they have codes on those so you don't have to grope them?

I would be interested if you found a nurse and would be willing to part with it for much less than the strangely high price they go for now. :) I can understand the zombie going for $20, but the nurse is up there with the zombie.

I know I spend a lot of time talking about my local unofficial LEGO store...but boy...they continue to deliver.

Ran across these today:

It appears all of the Lone Ranger sets are on sale.

Gah! So tempted. I want the train set, but trying to hold out for 30% off. If still on sale for ~20% by this weekend, I will give in.

Tempted on the Mine set too at 30%, but I have soooo much on my list already. LEGOGAF please stop enabling me!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Got the Colby City Showdown a few days ago. Had my eyes on it for a while, but it was never high priority. Except that set kept going lower and lower in price until I had to grab it at 28 euros.

Hopefully the Silver Mine Shootout will go even lower than it is right now.

Gah! So tempted. I want the train set, but trying to hold out for 30% off. If still on sale for ~20% by this weekend, I will give in.

Tempted on the Mine set too at 30%, but I have soooo much on my list already. LEGOGAF please stop enabling me!

Silver Mine is the best set in that series, so I would jump at 30%. Train is very good, but not as good as the Mine.

Ran across these today:

Grats! It feels like a treasure find every time you find anything pre-series 5. I'm done with S1 but I'd like to grab a few more S2-4. S1 is mostly interesting for the few valuable figures.

neonglow

You can get the train at Target.com for $77. Use code TGCDNTUZ to save $5 off any LEGO set $29 or more (Excludes Mindstorms, Architecture and Hard to Find items)

http://www.target.com/p/lego-the-lone-ranger-constitution-train-chase-79111/-/A-14506548

It'll go even lower if you have a Target Red Card with it's 5% discount. With the Red Card discount, it'd be about $73.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars

I had a similar experience http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=48750789&highlight=#post48750789

The next steps fix it, I think - like I said back then, designing something that automatically bows and then rigging the following steps to fix it seems like the least elegant solution.

You can get the train at Target.com for $77. Use code TGCDNTUZ to save $5 off any LEGO set $29 or more (Excludes Mindstorms, Architecture and Hard to Find items)

http://www.target.com/p/lego-the-lone-ranger-constitution-train-chase-79111/-/A-14506548

It'll go even lower if you have a Target Red Card with it's 5% discount. With the Red Card discount, it'd be about $73.

Frick. Talk about enabling. Thanks!

EDIT:
Code expires 11/27. At least that's what one site states. Target site says does not meet criteria. Phew. Wallet is thankful. Not that I clicked on link and tried the code or anything.

neonglow

Frick. Talk about enabling. Thanks!

EDIT:
Code expires 11/27. At least that's what one site states. Target site says does not meet criteria. Phew. Wallet is thankful. Not that I clicked on link and tried the code or anything.

Did you enter it at the checkout screen with payment options? I got the same message about not meeting criteria but it still took the discount off.

I ended up getting the Coast Guard Helicopter for $26 after tax and codes.

http://www.target.com/p/lego-city-coast-guard-helicopter-60013/-/A-14547586

NICE! Did you know they have codes on those so you don't have to grope them?

I would be interested if you found a nurse and would be willing to part with it for much less than the strangely high price they go for now. :) I can understand the zombie going for $20, but the nurse is up there with the zombie.

So it's interesting. Up until a few months ago (when I finished collecting all of series 2-current), all of the figs were $3.50 (MSRP). Apparently people were really taking advantage of this and scooping up tons of series 2, 3 and 4 figs that were valuable on the aftermarket. As such Lasting Toys has decided to price the figures according to distribution and volume...so that means that they are feeling them out in advance. The series 1 figs are priced higher than $3.50. I got the diver & crash test dummy for $5 a piece, and the zombie was $22. The nurse was actually $16, which surprised me.

More current series can still be felt by customers, but I suspect that they won't allow non-regulars to work their magic on older sets anymore. I totally understand where they're coming from.

Long story short, Bentbricks; I would totally buy you a nurse but only if $16+ shipping is a good price for you!

Grats! It feels like a treasure find every time you find anything pre-series 5. I'm done with S1 but I'd like to grab a few more S2-4. S1 is mostly interesting for the few valuable figures.

I will confirm with the store as to which series are affected by the new sliding scale of pricing. If many of them aren't I wouldn't mind spending a half hour feeling bags for some gaffers.

I had a similar experience http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=48750789&highlight=#post48750789

The next steps fix it, I think - like I said back then, designing something that automatically bows and then rigging the following steps to fix it seems like the least elegant solution.

You are completely correct, thank you!

I wish I had noticed that the next step actually locks the structure in place. I did actually do some counter-bending so that coupled with the 1x6 plates in the following step have cemented the structure quite nicely.

Wow, I haven't seen Series 1 in the wild for a long time.

Yeah, it was a first for me too.

I think the store has had to raise prices a bit because a lot of people have been taking advantage. They have a ton of the WV bakery and Post Office @ $95 and $90 respectively....significantly higher than they were priced last year.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I think the store has had to raise prices a bit because a lot of people have been taking advantage. They have a ton of the WV bakery and Post Office @ $95 and $90 respectively....significantly higher than they were priced last year.

Do they have the toy shop? If so what price? I want one, for less than 150 if possible.

I work for Merlin. It's a staff discount.

Nice perk. I do enjoy 10% off at the LEGO store with the Merlin card which is nice, but it's no 40%!

Long story short, Bentbricks; I would totally buy you a nurse but only if $16+ shipping is a good price for you!

Ah, I thought they were sold closer to MSRP for some reason, not closer to after-market prices. Nurse is shockingly pricey as I don't see anything special about that minifig. I just need it to complete my series 1, but for anything over $10, I can live without it.

SpeedNut

Anyone have experience with a crushed box from LEGO S@H? Outside box is fine, but my Winter Village Cottage looks like someone sat on the one side of it.

Calm Killer

Finished the second floor of Haunted house last night. Plan on finishing the build tonight. So far it is an okay build, but I am not overly impressed. The windows are so repetitive and just boring. There isn't really anything new or exciting in the building technique. Also I am not crazy about how flimsy the walls were during the building process. The windows going in separately reduced the strength of the walls. this was fixed once you put the windows in and put a larger 1x6 over the top. The best part so far would be the wood beams you build at the end of the second floor. It gives some strength to the walls and is a cool way to attach the floor for the third floor. I like the way they have done the hinges, but with that said I don't like the fact that it uses hinges and opens. I think it would be much better served as a modular type building. This might be because the Modular line is my favorite and I currently build for display. No play involved at all.

Overall the building looks great as a display piece, but nothing so far has made me go wow, that's cool. I will post my final thoughts on it when I complete the build. Hopefully tonight.

Do they have the toy shop? If so what price? I want one, for less than 150 if possible.

They do not.

When I got it late last year ($79) I think it was one of their last copies. Apparently the production run on the Toy Shop was significantly less than the Bakery, which was less than the Post Office. I have no way of validating that claim, but Lasting Toys believes they will continue to have some Post Offices through next year.

Speaking of aftermarket costs, I'm debating pulling the trigger on this:

Does anybody know if there are a lot of rare pieces? I'm contemplating buying a boxed version ($500 - $600) vs Bricklinking it (which I've never done).

Look up the instructions in Brickset for the train. It is pretty standard stuff except a red train chassis plate.

Edit: also you need a lot of train wheels. If you got the red passenger train you could use those parts and easily piecemeal the rest of the holiday train from the looks of it. But I am not completely sure.

Calm Killer

They do not.

When I got it late last year ($79) I think it was one of their last copies. Apparently the production run on the Toy Shop was significantly less than the Bakery, which was less than the Post Office. I have no way of validating that claim, but Lasting Toys believes they will continue to have some Post Offices through next year.

Speaking of aftermarket costs, I'm debating pulling the trigger on this:

Does anybody know if there are a lot of rare pieces? I'm contemplating buying a boxed version ($500 - $600) vs Bricklinking it (which I've never done).

This was discussed a page or two ago I believe. I don't think there was anything major rare. Something about a red train piece maybe. I am not 100% sure. I will see if I can find it.

Edit: What Bone said above. Here is the post he linked to the instructions.

Look up the instructions in Brickset for the train. It is pretty standard stuff except a red train chassis plate.

Edit: also you need a lot of train wheels. If you got the red passenger train you could use those parts and easily piecemeal the rest of the holiday train from the looks of it. But I am not completely sure.

This was discussed a page or two ago I believe. I don't think there was anything major rare. Something about a red train piece maybe. I am not 100% sure. I will see if I can find it.

D'oh. I must be repeating myself. I like the idea of getting that City Passenger train and re-purposing it.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
MOC-ers - what's your best recommended way to sort and store bricks once you've amassed many or torn down loads of sets? What are the broad categories of shape/size/type you go for? Or are there any AFOL-approved categories that is known as the most useful?

I ask as I've now got lots of bricks of all types from ebay bulk buys, PABs, polybag raids, etc. But it's descended into chaos - and I'd say easily fills about 20 of these: http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_139686_1.jpg

Just wondering if anyone had advice before I begin a big reshuffle

(After I've finished this bricklined/modded version of an Imperial Flagship.

MOC-ers - what's your best recommended way to sort and store bricks once you've amassed many or torn down loads of sets? What are the broad categories of shape/size/type you go for? Or are there any AFOL-approved categories that is known as the most useful?

I ask as I've now got lots of bricks of all types from ebay bulk buys, PABs, polybag raids, etc. But it's descended into chaos - and I'd say easily fills about 20 of these: http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_139686_1.jpg

Op has links to how I sort. Some others will chime in with other methods.

For smaller quantities of a color, I keep them mixed as it's super easy to differentiate colors of same shape in container. If I have a bulk amount of a certain piece, I'll separate by color then.

Here's some storage groups:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1043272@N22/pool/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/legostorage/pool/

EDIT: There's always this storage solution.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/atkinsar/sets/72157632511440297/

LEGO Room Project by atkinsar, on Flickr

I got Silver Mine off Amazon since I am broke this month replacing our hot water, thanks Phone for enabling. Speaking of spending money ...What are the freebies next month at LEGO store?

ghostmind

I got Silver Mine off Amazon since I am broke this month replacing our hot water, thanks Phone for enabling. Speaking of spending money ...What are the freebies next month at LEGO store?

Free PAB box with a $75 purchase - Nov. 1st to Dec. 24th.
Free Holiday 2014 Set 2 with $99 purchase - Nov. 29 to Dec. 2nd

Top Bottom