• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Surprised to see that Vitruvious from the EIA box is exclusive! I assumed it was the same one from the Sea Cow and Lord Business Lair. That one has the hippie clothes and blank eyes, The EIA one has a fancier robe and black eyes. No staff though. Guess I'll have to find my own sucker stick.

It's Vitruvious from the beginning of the movie, when he could see and not a blind hippy wearing Crocs :p

My wife and I decided that we were going to start collecting most of the modular sets so we went ahead and grabbed the Emporium set. Since the top two floors are kind of dead, I'm going to turn one of the floors into a wilderness/sports store. I grabbed the surfer saver set (60001) from Amazon for $4.50 and may get the camper set as well so I can have the canoe and might use the two minifigs as camping mannequins. Still thinking about modding one level into an arcade.

Surprised this survived the trip without a dent or getting crushed. Only had a small airbag in the box...
35f3954a5850de0e08f35e6ae40b4197_zpse26c3875.jpg

Ryuuroden

Another Helms Deep update:

It is getting closer to being complete in form. The last 2 major missing parts in finishing the mountainside that goes up the side of the keep and above it as well as making the Hornburg much much taller. After that I will have a lot of refining to do such as adding/removing/adjusting details, possibly putting in cobblestone on the ground, adding life to it, banners, etc. The mountainside on the Deeping Wall also needs to be finished. I am waiting on my bricklink order for that. The bricklink order also has other things such as missing arches and other odds and ends. Interested in feedback although this is nowhere near finished form. I have ideas like putting a cutout mouse hole in the basement area below the doorway to the Hornburg where Gimli is (the area below the entrance to the mountainside but above the armory has a chunk of unused space thats just a wall with a hollow interior right now) as well as some cut-out caves with gems in them in the sides of the mountains that I am building to add some interest there from the back of the moc. The first floor of the keep according to Tolkien held the stables as well as armory. I have the armory there already so I may add stables as well somewhere.

Stopped by Target on the way home from work. They had 3 copies of The LEGO Movie: Everything is Awesome edition on the shelf and tons of the $25 LEGO Movies sets in the LEGO aisle.
I picked up another Ice Cream Machine set. It's a nice set for parts especially if you want ice cream cones and "friends" colors.

I have no idea how many EIA copies that Target had initially.

cassidyarch

Neo Member
Yeah, don't know how many EIA boxes my Target got. But when I went in, late afternoon, they were down to two. One, after I got mine.

I grabbed the Ice Cream Truck. It's a great model (the truck, not the flying ...thing) It would look very nice with the Fairground Mixer.

Really like the two 2-in-1 LEGO Movie sets I've picked up so far. Ice Cream Truck and Garbage Chomper. Really high piece-count for the price. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd go with garbage Chomper.

Yeah, don't know how many EIA boxes my Target got. But when I went in, late afternoon, they were down to two. One, after I got mine.

I grabbed the Ice Cream Truck. It's a great model (the truck, not the flying ...thing) It would look very nice with the Fairground Mixer.

Really like the two 2-in-1 LEGO Movie sets I've picked up so far. Ice Cream Truck and Garbage Chomper. Really high piece-count for the price. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd go with garbage Chomper.

Garbage Chomper could work well with Fairground Mixer too. Gotta have something to take the rubbish away.

Ok everyone. I'm settling in to build the Hive Crawler. Expectations are high.

I really dig the bug minifig, his head part is HUGE. I'm just glad that his antennae are part of his head and not separate like the mosquito.

I've been trying to figure out if these bugs have a leader or not. So far I'm assuming it's the red bug from Star Slicer since he's the only red bug in the entire line. The others are just grunts, then there's the mosquitos who run the airborne division, and then there's the dudes in Hive Crawler and Galactic Titan with the pincers and gnarly red hand blades who seem to be in charge of heavy artillery.

Rootbeer

Banned
Taking all things into account? Quinjet since it's only going to go up in price very soon moving forward :) It seems to be discontinued whereas the Milano is brand new so it will be easy to find for a couple years. This would give you plenty of time to acquire both.

I do love them both though.

I am considering donating my UV code. I have never used the service and not sure if I ever would want to. I really prefer iTunes. I HATE the move towards UV and away from iTunes with some of these studios :( Who knows how long UV will actually be around? iTunes purchases thanks to being backed by Apple could be accessible for decades (that's the hope ;))

I am considering donating my UV code. I have never used the service and not sure if I ever would want to. I really prefer iTunes. I HATE the move towards UV and away from iTunes with some of these studios :( Who knows how long UV will actually be around? iTunes purchases thanks to being backed by Apple could be accessible for decades (that's the hope ;))

Agree wholeheartedly on iTunes preference. I don't trust UV and wouldn't ever pay extra just for that. I WOULD pay extra if movies came with iTunes codes though.

wetwired

Video Part 2 of my LUGs local show (the smaller of 2 main ones we do each year)
This one covers Classic Space, Trains and City/Town stuff mainly

Part 1 if you missed it, covering ghostbusters (my stuff) star wars, indiana jones, LOTR and other licenses

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I woke up late this morning (afternoon) and ran off to the small Target that I know are not as popular as the other two big one and found last one but slightly crush, Everything is Awesome edition. There are plenty of LEGO sets that are part of the promotion left. It seems both shoppers and Target clerks are all pretty confuse about how the promotion work. Since both the movies and sets are discounted they all thought that they were already discounted and didn't realize there is another $10.00 bonus discount on top.

0UyHi3xl.jpg

I went to Walmart last night and decided I would pick it up. First Bluray I have ever purchased. I looked at this version but there was no way in hell I am paying $40 for a movie. I haven't bought a movie in 10 years. Don't think I will again either.

Chairhome

If anyone is getting rid of their LEGO movie UV code, let me know. Can chip in a few paypal bucks if needed. I'm waiting til Friday to pick up the movie, but would love to watch this with the kids again tonight.

Between the Quinjet and the Milano which would you recommend?

Haven't built the Milano yet, but it is only a few weeks old, so there is a lot of time to get it.
Quinjet is amazing and over 2 years old now, and will disappear very soon. In fact, I am shocked it hasnt gone out of print yet.

Get the Quinjet now. Milano later.

Hive Crawler is the real deal and the way it moves is creepy as fuck. Good Lord.

It's all about how it moves. So awesome.

Experien

In the United States... can anyone confirm that the 3D movie in the EIA edition is the full 3D movie and not some short as an extra? Thanks!

I can't personally confirm it from seeing it but I can't imagine it not being in 3D since there is no 3D version of the movie to get. Also, retail reviewers have said the 3D of the movie is good so I'm sure it is the actual movie in 3D.

I can't personally confirm it from seeing it but I can't imagine it not being in 3D since there is no 3D version of the movie to get. Also, retail reviewers have said the 3D of the movie is good so I'm sure it is the actual movie in 3D.

I hope so... 35 bucks is a lot to pay for a blu ray/ DVD collection even with the minifig. Add 3D to the mix and I am picking it up this week.

I went to Walmart last night and decided I would pick it up. First Bluray I have ever purchased. I looked at this version but there was no way in hell I am paying $40 for a movie. I haven't bought a movie in 10 years. Don't think I will again either.

It's $35 at Target with $10.00 off if you buy select LEGO sets with it. Which make it $25.00 (If you are going to get LEGO set anyway which I was). I am not saying it's not stupid expensive especially with Warner shove the 3D edition into this bundle which jack up the price. I only buy selective few movies each year and usually when they are on sale. I think this is the 2nd movie I bought this year for myself.

I hope so... 35 bucks is a lot to pay for a blu ray/ DVD collection even with the minifig. Add 3D to the mix and I am picking it up this week.

Yes it's the 3D version of the movie that they tag on into this edition and effectively jack up the price to $40.00 (suggested retail price of most 3D movie).

It's all about how it moves. So awesome.
I actually thought I had built it wrong somehow because as I was building, it would roll on the table but the legs would get stuck. When I reached the step where you actually assemble all the pulleys and snap the middle leg in, though, it all made sense. I will never cease to be amazed at how these things are designed. How did they even think this assembly up? Incredible. IMO Lego go way beyond just toys that you build. The engineering and artistry that goes into some of these sets is awe inspiring.

Ponn

Banned
Got this today, just because I heard y'all say it's awesome and in Lego-GAF I trust :

Joy !!! :)

Oh you are about to have some fun. Word of advice build it where you want to display it because it does not move easy at all. Also hope you got the one with the glow in the dark stickers. I remember reading they revised later sets and removed the glow in the dark or something.

Zerojul

Oh you are about to have some fun. Word of advice build it where you want to display it because it does not move easy at all. Also hope you got the one with the glow in the dark stickers. I remember reading they revised later sets and removed the glow in the dark or something.
Thanks for the advice. And yeah, mine has the glowing stickers ;)

I just got back from vacation and look at all the goodies awaiting me on my doorstep!

857A5BD5-B24B-4D45-981E-26FB1C1BFB9C.jpg

We cut out 2 days early thanks to thunderstorms and a sick kid. I'm actually glad we did because the wife and I have all sorts of hobby stuff to catch up on. I plan on doing all the Lego tonight while watching some Marvel movies and then I have a massive gaming night planned where I play through all the games I've been picking up on sales throughout the year but have never put in a system. I did a quick count of 27 games just now. I'll play each one until I get an achievement/trophy, then put in the next one. I try to do this once or twice a year so at least I can say I've played everything in my backlog, lol.

Edit: Not pictured is the 500 tokens that just arrived for my new slot machine! I cut the hell out of my finger opening that package too.

Zerojul

I just got back from vacation and look at all the goodies awaiting me on my doorstep!

857A5BD5-B24B-4D45-981E-26FB1C1BFB9C.jpg

Wow the whole GotG wave in one shot, nice ;)

I did a quick count of 27 games just now. I'll play each one until I get an achievement/trophy, then put in the next one. I try to do this once or twice a year so at least I can say I've played everything in my backlog, lol.
It never occured to me to
pretend to
work around my backlog like that, that's actually very well thought. I might shamelessly copy that idea of yours if you don't mind :)

It never occured to me to
pretend to
work around my backlog like that, that's actually very well thought. I might shamelessly copy that idea of yours if you don't mind :)

I always really look forward to my backlog day for a number of reasons. First, I know I'm going to play a huge variety of games. That's always cool. Second, I'll get a bunch of achievements and trophies which is fun. Also, I'm usually always playing 5-6 games at any given time on various devices and this is a good way to know what's "on deck" to play after I'm finished with the games I'm currently playing. Finally, I love a themed day. There's just something extra fun about setting aside the time to accomplish a specific goal, video game or otherwise. It just makes the experience a little more special to me.

I may even do a topic for gaming side.

Now back to Lego.

The GotG sets were fantastic. The $20 set was surprisingly fun. The Nova ship came together in a really unique way. The $40 Nowhere Escape Mission set is disappointing only because I have absolutely no frame of reference for wtf it's about. I imagine the movie will enlighten me significantly and make the set shine a bit more. Finally, the grand daddy of them all, the $75 Milano Spaceship is magnificent. It comes together extremely well, has great colors, and has swoosh-ability in spades. It has a few stickers, but they all went on easily for me. The shape of the ship itself is really unique, while all the outside doodads add a lot of personality to the model. It took me about 3.5 hours to build them all, so it went really fast.

FYI, there are 2 different Starlords. The one in the $20 set has black pants and a different top. The other is all red. I'm pretty glad there were 2 versions of the character so that I can have one with his helmet and one without. The rest of the minifigs are fantastic. Everyone fits in the Milano (other than giant Groot) but I had to take out the back seat so Rocket can stand there. The villains are all good looking too but they suffer the same issue as all the Marvel sets in that the bad guys you are given in each theme don't stand a snowballs chance in hell against the the slew of super heroes.

Zerojul

The villains are all good looking too but they suffer the same issue as all the Marvel sets in that the bad guys you are given in each theme don't stand a snowballs chance in hell against the the slew of super heroes.
Are the grunt soldiers (I think "Sakaarans" is their official name) the same in the 3 sets ? No different prints ?

Ponn

Banned
I The villains are all good looking too but they suffer the same issue as all the Marvel sets in that the bad guys you are given in each theme don't stand a snowballs chance in hell against the the slew of super heroes.

Do you have any Galaxy Squad sets? Some of the insects look "Broodish" and could fit in with a GoTG set.

What are people's thoughts on these new LEGO Fusion sets? $35 for each of the four sets and the app is done by TTGames.

tumblr_n7fcduXe0F1s9etb3o1_500.jpg

If TT is doing them then they have potential. I need to hear more about them before giving a solid opinion.

EDIT: watched the announcement video and have to say I think it will be pretty cool but may be very simple, mainly so it works. It looks like you scan parts of things that then are converted to full sets. For the town one it seems it scans the front design you make of a building and then extends that front to make a full home.

Top Bottom